PDA

View Full Version : Which TW expansion was the worst?

Dead Moroz
02-19-2006, 15:03
In opposition to this poll (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=61434) I want to reformulate the question. :)

lars573
02-19-2006, 16:49
You just want validation for your RTW bashing don't you? Anyhow I voted Mongol invasion.

Dutch_guy
02-19-2006, 17:40
Haven't quite decided which one is the worst of all...

I haven't played Mongol invasion, so I wouldn;t know if thats any good..

I have played VI and BI and I liked both a lot, though I played VI a lot more than I played BI, but to put one above the other is well...hard.

:balloon2:

KukriKhan
02-19-2006, 18:07
A public service announcement:

The Entrance Hall is happy to host "spill-over" threads and polls of this sort, that consist of comparisons between multiple games.

Same rules apply here as elsewhere: keep it civil, and bash-free, in explaining why you did or did not like one product over another.

Thank you. Please carry on.

Martok
02-19-2006, 18:42
If one measures an expansion pack by how well it extends a game's replayability, then Mongol Invasion would definitely be the worst out of the three. It adds the least in the way of new content, even with the inclusion of the Mongol campaign and the different start periods for the regular Sengkou Jidai campaign. And speaking of the Mongol campaign, it's simply not that much fun to play--whether you're the Khan or the Hojo.

All Mongol Invasion really did was add a few cool new units (like the Kensai) and fix a few bugs for the original Shogun. I'm just happy I waited 6 months after MI was released, becuase I was then able to pick up the combined Warlord Edition for $20.00, as opposed to paying $30.00 for just the expansion pack.

General4Hire
02-19-2006, 22:22
If one measures an expansion pack by how well it extends a game's replayability, then Mongol Invasion would definitely be the worst out of the three. It adds the least in the way of new content, even with the inclusion of the Mongol campaign and the different start periods for the regular Sengkou Jidai campaign. And speaking of the Mongol campaign, it's simply not that much fun to play--whether you're the Khan or the Hojo.

All Mongol Invasion really did was add a few cool new units (like the Kensai) and fix a few bugs for the original Shogun. I'm just happy I waited 6 months after MI was released, becuase I was then able to pick up the combined Warlord Edition for $20.00, as opposed to paying $30.00 for just the expansion pack.

I have not played Mongolian Invasion, although I have played VI and BI. Of those two, I would have to say it's very close...the two games are similar. I would have to say I liked BI more after I think about it for a little bit, but this is a partly biased opinion based on the fact that the computer (as well as the game itself) that I'm playing on three years later than VI here, is considerably better than what I used to own. Makes for a much more pleasurable experience.

Basically let's put it this way: MTW and VI were, just edging out RTW and BI, my favorite war games ever made. However, they never got the play time and dedication that RTW and BI do from me, because my hardware was indeed a little thorn in the side back then.

I gotta say, I recommend any of the expansion packs, or games except anything shogun related, and only because I've never played it.

As for who I'm quoting: Yeah I agree with his definition of what would make the most successful expansion. I would say that BI added the most, but VI turned MTW up a notch at a time that many of us didn't think it was possible. It also opened up a whole new dimension to the modding community and only encouraged more and more people to to become a TW fan.

I didn't vote btw heh...and from my post I'm sure you can see why...just thought I'd pass on this one, and instead just offer anyone who might be reading the thread, my personal opinions. then again, not very many people haven't played MTW and RTW so I'm not really any more experienced than anyone else heh.

econ21
02-20-2006, 01:19
Viking Invasion was a very sound campaign. Lots of factions, lots of variety and an interesting side-line to the core game. As a patch to the vanilla game, it may have been the best of all three expansions.

Barbarian Invasion was virtually a RTW2. Epic and interesting campaign. Something about playing the WRE in that period just catches my imagination. I particularly liked the way it rebalanced the combat, so that defense stats rose (slowing combat), missiles were less uber and even cavalry was a little more fragile. Very promising for MTW2.

Mongol Invasion was an interesting patch. Introducing different start dates to the vanilla game was good, as was changing build times to make things move faster. Only blot there was that it seemed to get rid of some of the chrome - especially Burk Kwok's great voice work on the harvests. (If anyone can tell me how to get it back, I'd be grateful). I never played the campaign. I was not too interested in rampaging around as the Mongols. The Japanese side might have been fun, but when I heard you could win it by defending the first bridge province, I never gathered the enthusiasm to play it. I much prefer campaigns where there's a lot of building and freedom, rather than a slugfest (which is also why I prefer MTW and RTW's core campaigns to that STW).

So I vote MI, although I still bought it (twice :oops: ).

KrooK
02-20-2006, 12:27
:wall: :wall: I can't vote in this poll because every add-on was simply GREAT.
Don't you remember new sengkoku jidai campaings into MI.
Oda on 1530 camplaign and expert level is simply great. And this mongol heavy cav :)
MI in mine opinion had weak viking era. I prefer multiplayer and there Mercia was almost undefeated. Furthermore viking campaign was boring - small number of areas and great armies. Killing them was simply boring.
And now bi - great graphic and cav but so many bugs. Nav bug, boring campaign, game is completely unballanced - thats why i won't vote here

PseRamesses
02-20-2006, 14:49
Had to vote for BI - it´s simply the exp that has been installed the shortest time on my hd. It added more frustration and bugs to an already infested game. MI and VI stayed installed throughout all my gaming with STW and MTW. Another measure of BI´s shallow content is the absence of mods based upon it. IMHO BI only added a few goodies like nightbattles, religion conversion and a slightly more stabile battlefield AI but based on such a crappy game like RTW it was doomed to fail.

I love, and have long dreamed about, CA´s new project regarding Alexander´s quests but dread what they´ll do to mess it up. I simply have to sit tight and await my fellow gamers judgement and initial bug-reports before I decide to get it. Nice going CA - it´s the first game i HAVEN´T prebooked!!!

BHCWarman88
02-21-2006, 00:47
I thought BI sucked, too few factions,not god units,etc.. Good New Tratis,but that about it..

Mount Suribachi
02-21-2006, 11:30
Furthermore viking campaign was boring - small number of areas and great armies. Killing them was simply boring.

Interesting you should say that, as for many that is one of their favourite features about VI. Certainly it is for me, the smaller map and fewer factions and units is reminiscent of STW, and the shorter campaign makes it easier to actually finish a campaign.

I can't comment on which is the worst as I've never really played the MI campaign and I've only just started playing BI (although I am thoroughly enjoying playing as the WRE in the current PBEM game).

spanakoryzo
02-22-2006, 16:24
I really believe that no TW expansion can be judged as "worst". The one I voted for though is MI. It's not bad, it's just not as interesting as VI and BI. The Mongol campaign was not attractive (no buildings for the Mongols just took out half the fun for me) and other changes in main STW were not that important.

Samurai Waki
02-23-2006, 04:03
I never played MI, but I was not very impressed with BI, the lack of provinces and even more fantasy units really turned it off for me.

mike^_^
02-23-2006, 07:05
never played any of the other so BI :book: :laugh4:

Trajen the 1st
02-24-2006, 17:43
VI was pretty cool. As an above poster said it was nice and small(a newbie's own little slice of Shogun if you will)and the units werent to shaby either.

Now BI on the other hand is the exact opposite, crappy looking units,(thank god for mods)boring campiagn with little to no activity from the barbsb,(but oh boy! PLENTY of Roman Rebels!)fualty religion system,(we can mod new ones in, but we cant get them to work! :inquisitive: ) and finally just the old dumb AI with a few tweaks.(generals stay back now, expect half the army are peasants!:furious3: )

I swear if it werent for modders like AR and Goth I would've thrown BI in the trashcan months ago, vanilla RTW was okey but the mods were better, vanilla BI is crap on a stick without the mods.
:shame: Shame on you CA, Shame on you.:shame:

PS:Can anyone besides me get to TWC? I've tried getting to it many times but it times out after loading awhile. ~:confused: Anybody else have this problem?