PDA

View Full Version : Getting nostalgic - what to play? STW, MTW or RTW?

econ21
02-25-2006, 13:30
I've been playing a lot of RTW mods like RTR and EB, plus some BI, but reading posts about some of the older games has given me a hankering to go back and replay them. But which one? I'd welcome any opinions - what was your favorite campaign in the TW series?

Here's a few of my observations:

STW - this game has the most chrome and immersion. Also, for some reason, I found the maps and even the units more attractive in terms of graphics than MTW. The battles had an elegant simplicity and personally I found the campaigns the hardest of all 3 games.

MTW - this game has perhaps the most fun strategic map. The battles are on a par with STW but you are much freer in terms of what you do at a grand strategic level.

RTW - people have been posting about trying vanilla campaigns with the 1.5 patch and so I am curious. I took part in a late game Seleucid PBM campaign recently and it was surprisingly fun taking on the 4 Roman factions (which were powerful and post-Marian).

So, please vote for your recommendations and ideally say what particular campaign (e.g. Oda, Julii, Byzantine High period etc) has been the highpoint of your TW experience.

No bashing RTW please - it's getting real old.

Antagonist
02-25-2006, 14:07
I recommend STW, it is after all the oldest TW title and as you've described has a style and atmosphere that the sequels have been unable to emulate. For a specific recommendation, I always enjoyed the Uesugi campaign - you have a little more breathing space then most of the factions, but not enough to sit back and wait for the others to do your work for you, as the Shimazu can. Plus I always liked building up that little island region of the north coast.

Antagonist

The Spartan (Returns)
02-25-2006, 14:34
i say RTW (Barbarian factions Roman Factions and Greek Factions) but i never played MTW campiaign. it crashes.

Ultras DVSC
02-25-2006, 14:45
I recommend STW, it is after all the oldest TW title and as you've described has a style and atmosphere that the sequels have been unable to emulate.

Agree, the atmosphere of the Japanese war-cries, music and spirit is impossible to surpass. My choice would be the Mori clan with its dreadful warrior monks, who have known still, what does the Bushido mean...

cannon_fodder
02-25-2006, 17:43
Also, for some reason, I found the maps and even the units more attractive in terms of graphics than MTW.
I still think STW was the most visually pleasing of all, and I agree with above posters about the atmosphere.

Ludens
02-25-2006, 18:05
i say RTW (Barbarian factions Roman Factions and Greek Factions) but i never played MTW campiaign. it crashes.
If you post your problem plus the specifications of your computer in the Apothecary forum (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15), someone might be able to help you to get the game going.

Martok
02-26-2006, 01:29
Medieval, Egyptians, Early period.

1. They make good money, especially once you've established a trade network.
2. They have a lot of exclusive units (and/or are limited to just 2 factions, such as Ghazi Infantry & Bedouin Camels).
3. You start in an interesting strategic position, in that you must contend with the Turks and the still-powerful Byzantine Empire, plus it's fun defending against all the Crusades that are thrown at you.
4. Jihads. ~D

Sasaki Kojiro
02-26-2006, 02:11
I'd say STW as Oda. Or if it's MI, takeda 1550.

The Spartan (Returns)
02-26-2006, 02:42
If you post your problem plus the specifications of your computer in the Apothecary forum (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15), someone might be able to help you to get the game going.
tried a many times but no one helps
STW sounds good!

Lord Armbandit
02-26-2006, 02:55
MTW, as the English. From Early.

Not as challenging as some of the factions, but has a patriotism bonus (for me anyway!) and having spent far too much time playing this campaign, I'd gladly do it all again!

I never really got around to exploring the other start dates, so I got royally schooled on MP one day when playing a twelve year old kid with High units!

Gah!