PDA

View Full Version : Temporary fix for early-game CTD

khelvan
03-10-2006, 06:17
Some of you have experienced an early-game CTD which you cannot get past. This was caused by the removal of a script which was placing a building essential to the game's stability. As we have "naval ports" which allow the building of fleets, and the vanilla port buildings for their economic effect, and the game still requires the vanilla port building to be present when a ship is built, removing the script which placed this building causes bad things.

Whenever the Ptolemaioi build a ship in Kypros, or whoever owns the city at the time, without that port building present it results in an immediate and unavoidable CTD.

So here is the (temporary) solution, until the next version is up (we want to make this as stable as possible, and unlike in the past we've been able to pin down a number of CTD bugs, so we're working hard to get you quick fixes). First, edit the Kypros entry in descr_strat.txt - you can simply replace it with this entry:

settlement
{
level town
region Kypros

year_founded 0
population 1590
settlement_tax 51
plan_set default_set
faction_creator greek_cities
building
{
type core_building governors_house
}
building
{
type barracks muster_field
}
building
{
type market trader
}
building
{
type amphitheatres game_field
}
building
{
type navy_port naval_bay
}
building
{
type port_buildings port
}
building
{
type defenses wooden_pallisade
}
building
{
type temple_of_farming temple_of_farming_shrine
}
}

This is the only change, the addition of this building:

building
{
type port_buildings port
}

Once you have done that, restart your campaign, and voila! No more CTD.

Edit: Unfortunately, there is no way to fix this in a current campaign; the script fix creates the building improperly, and thus will still cause a CTD.

In addition, we have identified at least one CTD bug present in the new animations we're using in this version, so we're working hard to fix that. Unfortunately, this may mean reverting to the old animations for now, until the problem can be fixed, or until the 1.5 version is ready. Incidentally, a fan (nikolai1962) has been making great progress in digging through our files in preparation for porting to 1.5, so there is light at the end of the tunnel now, where there was none in the past.

Edit2:

THIS IS THY QUEST - SAVE THYSELF FROM CERTAIN CTD DOOM

The only way to avoid certain crash to desktop doom for your existing campaign is to sail to Kypros and take it before the AI builds a fleet there. Then you can build a port, and all will be well.

Your future is in your own hands. Good luck and godspeed.

Kampfduck
03-10-2006, 09:45
hi, i also had the problem with the early ctds,
i replaced the krypton text in:
data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign,
but when i started a new campaign game, after selecting a
faction (greek), it goes back to the option menu, and i get an
error message

script error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt at line 2131, column 23 expected faction type, found greek_cities

Trithemius
03-10-2006, 10:54
Incidentally, a fan (nikolai1962) has been making great progress in digging through our files in preparation for porting to 1.5, so there is light at the end of the tunnel now, where there was none in the past.

Go nikolai1962! *applauds*

Kampfduck
03-10-2006, 11:26
tried it again, at the tirth time it worked, probebly did something wrong:inquisitive:

thankx for this great mod!

LordElrond
03-10-2006, 17:06
Eh, I have a small question now. I fixed this when we first became aware of this and a solution was offered. Only, that solution was to replace the "type navy_port naval_bay" with "type port_buildings port." Now, I see you have just added it to the end. Will it hurt my game if I replaced the one? Should I add it back in? Thanks.

LE

O'ETAIPOS
03-10-2006, 17:39
It do not hurt at all, only there is not navy port in Salamis until Ptol AI will not build it.

It seems that in game solution is not working - script can't create graphic so try this:
take control of Ptolemies - it is a perfect spy or sth(there is whole thread on using it in bugs subforum somewhere) and then do two things:
1. stop ship construction if there is any
2. then sell navy port and start construction of trade port.

Marinakis
03-11-2006, 04:34
how do i get to this file?

nikolai1962
03-11-2006, 11:18
The descr_strat file is in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign.

My game works again now.

Wardo
03-12-2006, 13:39
I've tried doing the script-fix and it worked for a few turns but now it's crashing again.

Unless there is a way to transfer the control of Salamis to me by script, so I can make sure no ship will be ever built there, I'm giving up and starting a new campaign with the desc_start fix.

If anyone wants to have a go, here's the save (http://www.megaupload.com/pt/?d=GIKLCHT2).

khelvan
03-12-2006, 18:34
Post updated; unfortunately the script fix does not work as intended and thus a new campaign has to be started.

khelvan
03-12-2006, 20:32
Updated yet again.

Are you an excellent RTW player? Then save yourself. You can find the answer here. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1088207&postcount=1)

Nagarythe
03-12-2006, 21:26
Probably I'm missing something because I don't know much about modding, but I fixed the problem in-game. With perfect spy, take control of ptolemies, remove the ship from the building queue and destroy the naval port. Then, construct a coastal clearing to let the AI build a commercial port later on.

The AI won't build another naval port anytime soon, and you probably have solved the problem. If you have started a good campaign, it's worth trying.

Trithemius
03-12-2006, 23:00
Updated yet again.

Are you an excellent RTW player? Then save yourself. You can find the answer here. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1088207&postcount=1)

Does this mean my puppet-mastering of the Ptolemies will not save me? (I possesed their leader and then commanded him to raze the docks in Kypros; I could not have him build a port because the place seemed to be too small a settlement for it).

Magister Militum
03-27-2006, 20:48
where can i find this perfect spy?