PDA

View Full Version : RTW editor

TosaInu
03-12-2006, 14:46
From a discussion about MTW2, it looks as if it's not known that RTW has an editor?

To enable editor in RTW (should work in BI too). Create a shortcut and edit its properties. Add -enable_editor to the target. Result "C:\RTW\RomeTW.exe" -enable_editor Start the game with the shortcut, the Battle editor is in the options menu.

Allows to create SP and MP scenarios as well as maps.

But this was known already, wasn't it?

The_White_Knight
03-12-2006, 15:50
Yeah, that was an addition of the 1.2 patch.

HalfThere
03-12-2006, 17:00
Already known, correct, but when we talk about modding we mean scripting, campaign editing, graphics editing, .txt editing, etc.

Scenario editing is a nice feature (though I personally find the interface to be awful), but that's not what most of us are interested in.

The_White_Knight
03-12-2006, 18:40
Already known, correct, but when we talk about modding we mean scripting, campaign editing, graphics editing, .txt editing, etc.

Scenario editing is a nice feature (though I personally find the interface to be awful), but that's not what most of us are interested in.

I don't know: a scenario editor is accesible to all players, regardless of know-how. Besides, a scenario is a very standard feature for any RTS.

HalfThere
03-13-2006, 03:10
I don't know: a scenario editor is accesible to all players, regardless of know-how. Besides, a scenario is a very standard feature for any RTS.

I'll elaborate then: A scenario editor is nearly useless to a modder. Very, very few people invest nearly as much time in the historical battles as they do in other aspects of RTW, and that's the only thing the editor edits. Besides, RTW isn't an RTS. It's real-time tactics with turn-based strategy.

Also, the editor is hardly accessible. It's quite difficult to use to the fullest extent without the unincluded documentation, and still rather vexing with it.

Epistolary Richard
03-13-2006, 09:05
The Battle editor, whilst not being as durable as I would like and with a tendency to CTD when I add too much road, is good for adding historical battles - but as Halfthere says that simply isn't an area that RTW modders have concentrated on (though some mods are rediscovering them as a precursor to a full release).

Ingenious as we are, though, it is our way of generating .wfc files which we can use for unique tiles both on the campaign map and in custom battles.