PDA

View Full Version : Any questions for the official M2TW FAQ?

econ21
03-14-2006, 17:52
The Shogun over at totalwar.com has started a FAQ for M2TW:

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm55.showMessage?topicID=1127.topic

:idea: At the suggestion of Dead Moroz, this thread is to collect some questions for possible inclusion in the FAQ.

Captain Fishpants has kindly agreed to pass on some questions that we collate from Org members. :bow:

We'll limit it to around a dozen or so questions in the first instance, so to help us select the most important, please limit yourselves to a few questions each. Or at least list them in order of importance.

Keep to the kind of factual and informational questions suitable for a FAQ :book: Nothing too philosophical or argumentative. :furious3: Derogatory questions will be deleted. :skull:

Thanks for any suggestions! :2thumbsup:

IceTorque
03-14-2006, 18:01
Will the number of units per stack and/or the number of men per unit be increased ? and if so by how much ?
Will the units behave more like well trained and disciplined soldiers and less like a drunken mob ?

Servius
03-14-2006, 18:59
1) What variables/aspects of the game will be easily modable (with basic programs like Notepad, Word, Excel, etc.)?
2) Will spear units receive the defensive bonus when their formation is deeper (a rank bonus) that existed in MTW but was removed from RTW?
3) Will infantry units have access to the wedge formation as they did in MTW (but not in RTW)?
4) Will types of terrain (desert, forest, hills, fjords, etc.) grant bonuses to certain units?
5) Can you please explain how the AI will make better strategic (economic, world-map-movements, etc.) and tactical (army leaders, balanced armies, battle-map-movements, etc.) decisions?
6) Will I be charged for units and buildings in my queue, even if they're not currently under construction?

hellenes
03-14-2006, 19:16
1. Will the game utilise the 64bit vista? And DirectX10? Generally will it be more optimised to take advatage of monster dual core rigs and field tens of thousands of troops?

2. Will there be a limit on unit sizes? Like the 240 men in RTW? Because there was a mod for RTW 1.0 that allowed 500 men in one unit...

3. Will the rank shooting penalty of M1TW come back? Like the archers further back in the rows didnt shoot/shoot with less accuracy?

4. What limit will be: For unit/province/factions numbers?

5. Will there be a bird skeleton? Which wasnt finalised in RTW as its evident from the txt files this is VERY important for fantasy total conversions.

6. Will the Multiplayer be B A L A N C E D? This is VERY cruicial to even speak about multiplayer.

7. Will there be a settlement editor in M2TW 1.0? More like M1TW? Because RTW's is kinda clumsy.

Hellenes

Dead Moroz
03-14-2006, 20:55
Can you please explain how the AI will make better strategic (economic, world-map-movements, etc.) and tactical (army leaders, balanced armies, battle-map-movements, etc.) decisions?
That's my first question too.

- What is the current situation with factions? Will there be more factions, especially in the eastern part of map? (Not the question itself, but important request: Please, don't tell that this question is "still under consideration", 'coz it will actually mean that nothing will be changed, but you don't want to admit it.)

- Any more clarification of new turns system (if it's possible)?

- Will there be Glorious Achievements?

- Will there be town guard recruitable among citizens during sieges?

- Will rivers be included into city plans?

- Will there be fishing industry in coastal regions?

- Will Aztecs have human sacrifices?

Hope, it's not too much. I was trying to restrain myself.

Guillaume le Batard
03-14-2006, 21:10
Will Medieval 2: Total War further develop the "field defense" concept introduced in Rome: Total War? More specifically, will it be possible to build defensive works (such as non-settlement castles) as needed/where needed?

Thanks for any thoughts you might share!

Wm. le Batard

Nelson
03-14-2006, 21:22
Will any castles have moats?

Ignoramus
03-15-2006, 01:22
Will cities on the battlemap be portrayed correctly? I.e. Paris on the Ile de France.
Will there be GA(Glorious Achievements)?
Will the technological advances be historically accurate?

My two cents.

sapi
03-15-2006, 09:39
Misc, no real order.

How will the family system be done? Seeing as this is back to medieval times, will you have no choice over the heir other than to kill him?
Is the ai being rebuilt from scratch or will it be a modded version of rtw?

Duke John
03-15-2006, 10:18
Will we get a model/animation import/export tool?

Zatoichi
03-15-2006, 10:49
Will gunpowder be discovered by a specific turn/year or will it depend on constructing certain buildings/buildings + random number of turns/years (as in RTW for the Marian reforms depending on which patch you use)?

Will musket armed troops only be able to fire in 2 ranks to be effective, or will it be the same archery model used in RTW, where depth of formation made no difference? (This applies to all archery units I guess).

Will there be faction respawn after their defeat a la MTW?

Will generals' loyalty and civil wars be included?

Is Sean Pertwee in the frame for more voice acting?

OK, that's enough for now.

Edit - oh, just one more! Will there be prisoner capture of routing units and the the opportunity to ransom them after the battle?

Furious Mental
03-17-2006, 03:27
Will pikemen be able to defend their formation with multiple ranks of pikes from any direction?

lar
03-17-2006, 08:14
will we see some battle replays/movies anytime soon?

Alexander the Pretty Good
03-19-2006, 04:25
Will there be events like the discovery of gunpowder in MTW? How will such events fit into a turn-system with no dates and an apparently fluid definition of time per turn?

Voigtkampf
03-19-2006, 07:55
Also, will those events be hardcoded, or will there be moddable? In sense that the nature of event can be altered, as well as its time of occurrence?

Also greatly important is the maximum limit of factions/provinces.

Will there be resurrecting factions, as well as pope coming back to retake Rome?

Dead Moroz
03-19-2006, 15:40
Could not stop myself from asking more questions.

- How important will be marriages between factions? Will it be really possible to gain another kingdom when all members of its ruling family are dead and one of your family members is married to their princess?

- Will muslim and pagan factions have princesses? And will it be possible to contract marriage between christian and muslim/pagan factions? (In MTW1 it was impossible, but in fact it were not rare events in medieval history.)

- Will it be possible to change state religion (as medieval history has numerous examples of such events)?

Geoffrey S
03-20-2006, 10:17
Will it once again be possible to record battles in the campaign mode, as in MTW?

The_Doctor
03-20-2006, 10:25
Can horse and camel units dismount before battle?

Butcher
03-21-2006, 16:22
Reiteration of a few from above:

Can you please explain how the AI will make better strategic (economic, world-map-movements, etc.) and tactical (army leaders, balanced armies, battle-map-movements, etc.) decisions?

Will there be GA(Glorious Achievements)?

sythianwarlord
03-23-2006, 01:37
when is medieval totalwar2 coming out?:help:

Voigtkampf
03-26-2006, 13:17
Will there be a re-introduction of a medieval court/palace room, similar to Shogun's throne room?

guyfawkes5
03-26-2006, 18:51
Will the Irish be in it as a playable faction?
Will the dynamics with the pope be sorted out? (Whenever the pope was properly subdued, he came back a few years later with a super-army)
Will Scandinavia be included in the campaign map?

Kagemusha
03-27-2006, 21:27
Will there be a map or campaign editor included in MTW2?

Dead Moroz
03-27-2006, 21:35
Will the Irish be in it as a playable faction?
What Irish faction do you mean???

SOSamurai
03-30-2006, 14:07
Some are more important/easier to answer than others, however if any of these are to be submitted, i'll leave it to the submitter to pick which question(s) should be asked.
I also should appologise If any of these have already been asked or answered before.

1. How will buildings and other surroundings (slopes, rivers, trees, etc.) play a role in battlefield tactics in comparison to RTW? (I ask this because of one thing that has impressed me more than anything else with the screenshots released so far: The apparent evolved battle terrain and extra map design detail.)

2. What sort of special tactics/unit specific specialities (like Phalanx formation or flaming arrows in RTW) can we expect to see in MTW2 (if any)?

3. Will there be any form of weather system in MTW2, and how will it effect the battlefield?

4. What will be the maximum number of armies/factions able to enter a battle?

5. How will the game handle "leftover units" who want to enter the field and kill things?

EDIT (remembered one more question): 6. Will players be able to save replays?

That should do.

anti_strunt
03-31-2006, 15:25
1. Will the engine support mounted infantry, ie. troops who used horses for rapid battlefield transportation but invariably fought on foot?
2. Will some (or all?) cavalry be able to dismount during battle, or at least before, as in MTW?

Bleda
04-01-2006, 07:10
Will the game be similar to the first one in that you can hand out titles to your generals? Not just titles, like Duke or Baron, but your nobility will be part of the bloodline capable of ascending to the throne. I'd like to see some of sort of mix of control of your own dynasty like in RTW, and the ability for some relatives to pass down titles of nobility to those family member as well, sort of like in MTW. Each game lacked a key aspect that the other possessed.

Lord Hornburg
04-06-2006, 15:48
Because you have revisited the Medieval period/game does this mean another Shogun could be considered?

Assasian videos! Please get them back! I and im sure many others loved them in Shogun.

dudzcom
05-21-2006, 17:16
Will the game engine take advantage of new dual-core processors? if so, will it only take advantage of 2 cores, or will it be able to utalize more as processors are released next year with 4 or more.

Mithradates
05-24-2006, 17:18
what kind of specs will we need for our computers to run this amazing game!

IrishArmenian
05-25-2006, 20:33
Will there be a Viking Invasionesque expansion so I may play as the Irish?

VAE VICTUS
06-01-2006, 00:04
what are the system requirments?

Bleda
06-05-2006, 18:27
The Irish are a bunch of potatoe eating drunks. Now the Scottish, there is a real cultured celtic people.

IrishArmenian
06-06-2006, 03:48
The Irish are a bunch of potatoe eating drunks. Now the Scottish, there is a real cultured celtic people.
Hehehe~:cheers:

ave maximus
06-07-2006, 10:54
Hi
I have different a question .
How can I open new topic.
I cannot find anything about this information on forum rules.
I need your much help.
for thanks your help

econ21
06-07-2006, 12:48
Hi
I have different a question .
How can I open new topic.
I cannot find anything about this information on forum rules.
I need your much help.
for thanks your help

Hi, there are restrictions on new members creating new threads - see the table in the FAQ:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=45416

If you want to open a thread, you could PM me with it's content and I will open one for you if it does not fit within an existing thread.

Being a junior member is a transitional state - most are promoted to full member after a few weeks if they post fairly actively.

sunsmountain
06-07-2006, 17:09
Will battlespeed be changeable under game options? With battlespeed i mean walking/charging speeds of units, depending on player preferences.

Will morale and/or hitpoints changeable under game options? The goal of this is to get longer or shorter lasting battles, depending on player preferences.

How many people are working on the battlemap AI? Where are they getting their input and inspiration from? Will MTW veteran players be challenged by MTW2 AI?

How many people are working on the campaign map AI? Does the distinction between a city and a castle make it easier for the AI to make good decisions? Will it dedicate its building choices, ie go for stables/cavalry ONLY in one city, while going for barracks/infantry ONLY in another, getting up that tech tree faster?

Can we mod or change Glory Goals if they are going to be in the game?

ave maximus
06-08-2006, 15:28
Hi Quintus
I explained table on the FAQ
But I dont understand anythink
step by step can you explain me, how can I open new thread
because I cannot send PM
please help me
thanks

lysarin
06-13-2006, 12:40
Will faction be able to use the horde ability like in BI? Or will it be moddable?

Alien_Tortoise2345
07-05-2006, 17:25
Will there be emergent factions e.g. Burgundy, like in Barbarian Invasion? Will the Reformation play a role in the 16th century part of the game e.g. making factions more hostile to you? What specs will I need to play it? Will small nations like Ireland and Wales get a look in? Will there be an expansion pack?

MansaSakura
07-14-2006, 00:19
Why does Medieval total War 2 appear so Negrophobic, lol. It didn't include any black factions in the first one and there aren't any in this one either from the looks of things so far. I understood in the first one, but this Medieval Total War appears more global (even stretching across the atlantic). Is it too much to ask to include ONE trully African empire in the mix. Ethiopia would be a great inclusion because of their interaction with Muslim factions and the Papacy. The Mali Empire would also be good considering it was larger and wealthier than the Holy Roman Empire. Not to get too far off subject but a third of the world's gold supply came right out of Mali until the colonization of the New World. Niether of the proposed factions (Christian Ethiopia or Muslim Mali) were that deep in Africa (Mali is right underneath Morocco) and they HISTORIC interactions with Muslim and Christian factions whereas the Aztecs and Mayas (as cool as they are) DIDN'T. What's the deal CA? Any feedback would be appreciated it. And if you guys aren't gonna put African factions in as playable- could u at least put them as Rebels?

PEACE

Cebei
07-14-2006, 19:22
The new M2TW looks a bit like a mod of RTW. What are the aspects of the M2TW that distincts itself from being simply a mod of RTW?

okeenan
07-19-2006, 09:39
Why does Medieval total War 2 appear so Negrophobic, lol. Is it too much to ask to include ONE trully African empire in the mix. Ethiopia would be a great inclusion because of their interaction with Muslim factions and the Papacy. The Mali Empire would also be good considering it was larger and wealthier than the Holy Roman Empire. Not to get too far off subject but a third of the world's gold supply came right out of Mali until the colonization of the New World. Niether of the proposed factions (Christian Ethiopia or Muslim Mali) were that deep in Africa (Mali is right underneath Morocco) and they HISTORIC interactions with Muslim and Christian factions whereas the Aztecs and Mayas (as cool as they are) DIDN'T. What's the deal CA?
PEACE

I gotta agree. It seems there's no end of nubian this and nubian that. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to include a faction. Personally I'd love to see an army of huge white Nords squaring off against an army of huge black Africans. It'd be like chess on grand scale. It's true that Mali and Ethiopia were both forces to be reckoned with unlike some of the included factions.
What's the deal CA?
PEACE

Tamur
07-20-2006, 07:20
Oh bother, looks like I'm a bit too late coming back but here's two. I fully expect not to get an answer, as has been the case for, well, years now. But one can always ask.

1. It appears that there is much going on with diplomacy. Yay. What I'd like to know is, when Ian says that "the AI will not only remember previous dealings you've had with it but your dealings with other factions, too", does this mean that M2:TW is employing some sort of gossip model? Or will every transaction that every faction does with every other faction be available in some sort of collective memory?

2. Ryan Lodata at gameplasma.com wrote that there will be a "details and behaviour" section that shows "a character's reputation, power, wealth, and priorities". I don't know if I'm looking at the right screens, but priorities seems to be stretching it a bit. Is this actually going to be in the game, or is this just Ryan waxing poetic?

Tusen tack.

roman pleb
08-02-2006, 00:08
Will the battlefield be bigger/smaller than in Rome:Total War?

Little Legioner
08-02-2006, 14:04
Good points romanpleb and sunsmountain. I was thinking to ask same subject. The battles! :idea2:

Will there be options to change kill rates?
Will there be options to change battle types? Arcade, normal or epic level?
Will there be option to determine the size of battlefields in campaign?

JFC
08-02-2006, 14:19
1. Will we be able to catapult dead bodies into cities under seige, so as to start disease? Or taint the nearby water supplies by use of the assassins?

2. Can we rename areas that have been conquered? I so want to rename 'Lyon' as 'Peckham' and turn Bavaria into Clapham Junction:laugh4: !

IrishArmenian
08-02-2006, 22:59
Will their be landmarks in battles, such as the tripl walls of Constantinople?

Vuk
08-03-2006, 15:56
Will the Byzantines have Greek Fire?

Vuk
08-03-2006, 19:01
The Byzantines had tanks of GF in their walls, and the contents where pressured out of pipes onto siege tower, rams, or men by a bellows system. Will that be incoporated?
Also, will the people defending cities have civies running around with buckets of water to extinguish fires?
Also, Will there be fire brigade units?
Also, Byzantines ruled the sea with their GF, even vikins were scared of them.
Will they have the best ships in M2TW?

Vuk the Coward

Little Legioner
08-05-2006, 13:40
Will there be scecific city plans and wonders for settlements?

Silver Rusher
08-07-2006, 19:35
Can horse and camel units dismount before battle?
Yes.

Midnight
08-07-2006, 21:43
Can we have civil wars where the factions split into full factions (like the WRE and ERE have, rather than MTW's carving out a section of provinces which were then Rebel)?

DisruptorX
08-08-2006, 00:05
Why does Medieval total War 2 appear so Negrophobic, lol. It didn't include any black factions in the first one and there aren't any in this one either from the looks of things so far. I understood in the first one, but this Medieval Total War appears more global (even stretching across the atlantic). Is it too much to ask to include ONE trully African empire in the mix. Ethiopia would be a great inclusion because of their interaction with Muslim factions and the Papacy. The Mali Empire would also be good considering it was larger and wealthier than the Holy Roman Empire. Not to get too far off subject but a third of the world's gold supply came right out of Mali until the colonization of the New World. Niether of the proposed factions (Christian Ethiopia or Muslim Mali) were that deep in Africa (Mali is right underneath Morocco) and they HISTORIC interactions with Muslim and Christian factions whereas the Aztecs and Mayas (as cool as they are) DIDN'T. What's the deal CA? Any feedback would be appreciated it. And if you guys aren't gonna put African factions in as playable- could u at least put them as Rebels?

PEACE

I agree, I'd rather see african factions (even if they are extremely weak like numidia and the berbers are in RTW/BI) than north american ones, makes much more sense.

Also, Abyssinian Guards were one of my favourite units in MTW.