PDA

View Full Version : CA clarification: There are no turn limits

Martok
03-17-2006, 07:39
Posted by prasthereaper over on the official forums:

Maybe I've been a bit too obtuse in my previous posts, but I can officially and categorically state that you can keep playing after 225 turns.

Here's the link (http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm55.showMessage?topicID=1268.topic) to his entire post should you wish to read it.

spmetla
03-17-2006, 09:31
Erasing the past...

TB666
03-17-2006, 12:28
I'm curious as well if there is a turn limit. If it takes me 2000 turns to finish a game is that still possible?

Well as pras said, there is no limit so you should be able to play that long.

Orda Khan
03-17-2006, 13:13
No limit on the campaign length will go some way towards making up for the turns issue but I must admit I am less than happy

.....Orda

Kraxis
03-17-2006, 14:10
In essence you could go on playing RTW past 14AD as well... A victory just wouldn't be achieved. And events stopped.

This doesn't sound that different.
Technology and AI factions (hopefully) will still progress at the 'optimal' rate.

Susanne
03-17-2006, 14:46
There's already a thread on this... right beneath this one.

magnum
03-17-2006, 15:30
As Kraxis pointed out, whether the game forced an end or not at 225 turns was never really the problem. It was that the game was expected (optimized) for ending in 225 turns.

A.Saturnus
03-18-2006, 18:00
As Kraxis pointed out, whether the game forced an end or not at 225 turns was never really the problem. It was that the game was expected (optimized) for ending in 225 turns.

Sorry, but that's nonsense. I don't think there's anything "optimized" for 225. Besides, if the campagne needs optimizing to a specific length, it's impossible to satisfy everyone. That there's no turn limit is fine news and should cease all worries that you can't play the game at a slow pace. The real problem with turns is what they represent. I don`t want to have the feeling that a turn represents 2 years if I can't move an army through France in that time.

hellenes
03-18-2006, 20:20
If there are no new tech, no goals and no interaction past the 225 turns whats the point playing after?

Hellenes

screwtype
03-19-2006, 06:59
If there are no new tech, no goals and no interaction past the 225 turns whats the point playing after?

Hellenes

Who says there are no goals and no interaction?

You still get to continue trying to conquer the map. You still get to fight battles. You still get to develop your provinces and so on.

Of course there is still a point. Just because the tech tree ends its development does not mean the game ceases to have any meaning.

hellenes
03-19-2006, 12:20
Who says there are no goals and no interaction?

You still get to continue trying to conquer the map. You still get to fight battles. You still get to develop your provinces and so on.

Of course there is still a point. Just because the tech tree ends its development does not mean the game ceases to have any meaning.

Trying to pointlessly rush the map and conquer it seem rather shallow to me...:no:
And by that time all the provinces will be maxed out and ill have uber armies and there will be no anticipation of anything.
I too love CA but not to the point of pure worship...

Hellenes

Dead Moroz
03-19-2006, 15:10
In other words: you will continue to do these things, but in much more primitive form.

Quietus
03-19-2006, 17:49

Hellenes The only goal of TW games is to win the most or all the provinces anyway. CA says that the game is "optimized" to play 225 turns to meet this goal.

But since they've squished the whole Medieval period, they had to adjust the player aging rate to 1/4 of that of the campaign map.

At RTW's rate of ~1 star gained per battle (plus other bonuses), 10-star generals will be roaming the land for ~200 campaign years. That's starting at 16 years old + 50 year character time and 100-turn duration.

Given the number of provinces in M2TW will be the same as RTW (as stated in the new Gamespot interview), unless they make the economy, recruitment, battles, sieges, and the campaign map much more difficult to manage, a player will breeze through the provinces in less than 225 turns.

hellenes
03-20-2006, 01:07
The only goal of TW games is to win the most or all the provinces anyway. CA says that the game is "optimized" to play 225 turns to meet this goal.

But since they've squished the whole Medieval period, they had to adjust the player aging rate to 1/4 of that of the campaign map.

At RTW's rate of ~1 star gained per battle (plus other bonuses), 10-star generals will be roaming the land for ~200 campaign years. That's starting at 16 years old + 50 year character time and 100-turn duration.

Given the number of provinces in M2TW will be the same as RTW (as stated in the new Gamespot interview), unless they make the economy, recruitment, battles, sieges, and the campaign map much more difficult to manage, a player will breeze through the provinces in less than 225 turns.

Its clear from your post that you havent played the Glorius Achievements of MTW...
This was the only immersive and entertaining game mode for me...

Hellenes

screwtype
03-20-2006, 07:22
Trying to pointlessly rush the map and conquer it seem rather shallow to me...:no:
And by that time all the provinces will be maxed out and ill have uber armies and there will be no anticipation of anything.
I too love CA but not to the point of pure worship...

Hellenes

Yeah, but you are wanting a GA style campaign, and you're not getting that anyway.

However, if you like to play "passive" I don't see why you can't continue to play that way after the tech tree is exhausted. After all, both you and the AI will be in the same position of having no more tech upgrades.

In any case, you will probably be able to mod the game to whatever length and tech rate you choose, so I don't see you have much to complain about. The vanilla campaign probably wont be great for anyone, ever since STW it's always been the modders that have delivered the goods in terms of worthwhile campaigns.