PDA

View Full Version : Japanese and German Peace Treaties to End WW2

Csargo
03-18-2006, 08:42
I was thinking about this and searching and I was just wondering what treaty ended WW2 for Germany and what treaty ended WW2 for Japan. Also what were the conditions of the Treaties.

:help: :help:

Csargo
03-18-2006, 08:57
Ok that was stupid of me I knew they were unconditional but aren't there militaries limited to a certain amount of troops, navies, etc. And how long will that last?

Avicenna
03-18-2006, 14:26
The limitations you're thinking about are the Treaty of Versailles where Germany was limited to a very small army and navy, and no air force after defeat at WWI.

Atilius
03-18-2006, 21:14
There is a provision in the (largely American-written) postwar Japanese Constitution which places limitations on the country's right to wage war. Chapter 2 (Renunciation of War) reads:

Article 9. Aspiring sincerely to an international peace based on justice and order, the Japanese people forever renounce war as a sovereign right of the nation and the threat or use of force as a mean of settling international disputes.
(2) In order to accomplish the aim of the preceding paragraph, land, sea, and air forces, as well as other war potential, will never be maintained. The right of belligerency of the state will not be recognized.

This document has never been amended. For may decades the Article 9 has been interpreted as permitting Japan to maintain a self-defense force, though by custom, military spending has been limited to roughly 1% of GDP. Because of Japan's wealth however, the country still has the world's 2nd largest defense budget.

Samurai Waki
03-19-2006, 08:31
The Treaty ending the war with Germany and the concessions Germany had to make was called the 'Potsdam Conference'

Franconicus
03-21-2006, 16:40
No, that is wrong. There was no peace treaty, only a capitulation. Germany had the status of an occupied country until the reunification. Although the parts were allied with the former Allies (:dizzy2: very confusing). However, the four occupation armies had still several rights.

As far as I can remember there was a treaty of the four (GB, France, US and USSR) which ended the occupation and opened the way for the reunion.

phred
03-21-2006, 17:39
Here's a link to a description of the formal surrender of Japan.

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq69-1.htm

Here's a link to a PDF of the actual signed document

http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/featured_documents/japanese_surrender_document/

Evil_Maniac From Mars
03-21-2006, 22:22
Ok that was stupid of me I knew they were unconditional but aren't there militaries limited to a certain amount of troops, navies, etc. And how long will that last?

Japan does have a limit, but Germany, AFAIK, does not.