PDA

View Full Version : Have you had a "Reinforcement Battle" and NOT had a CTD?

Kull
03-19-2006, 23:16
If the answer is "yes", please post here with the pertinent facts:

1) Factions (Yours/Theirs)
2) Reinforcements (Yours, Theirs, Both)
3) EB Version (v.72, v.73a, v.74)
4) If possible, please provide screen shots so we can see things like the units in each army, what year it was, whether there was a general, etc.
5) Also desirable: Upload your pre-battle save game to a free file hosting service so we can test it.

Simmons
03-20-2006, 01:03
I will try to keep this in mind in future battles but just last night I fought some rebels as the Romans next to one of my towns the garrison arrived as reinforcements and everything went fine.

I'll see if one of my older save game files is available when I get home from work.

Trithemius
03-20-2006, 02:31
I think so, but I honestly can't recall the details. I'll keep an eye out too, although I've lately taken to roaming around killing off all the potential reinforcements before I beseige a settlement.

Kull
03-20-2006, 02:46
Thanks guys. I'm sure everyone can see why this is important - by understanding the conditions in which a CTD does NOT occur, that will help us hone in on those factors which are unique to the situations where it DOES occur.

Moros
03-20-2006, 18:56
7.2, I had 3 armies playing as Seleukids against Ptolemaioi. one reinforcement was AI the otherone I controlled myself

later I fought the ptolemaioi with two amries both under my control, same campaign. I don't have the games anymore nor do I have screens.

Keba
03-20-2006, 19:24
Now he asks for this. I had plenty ... Makedon against two Epirote stacks, twice, Makedon against two Koinon Hellenon stacks, once (that was the initial army from Corinth, the KH were the troops from Sparte, no family members present, either side). Ten or so Romans vs. Makedon (mixed armies, mostly Triarii, later on, Gallic units), all over Italy (Makedon army layout changed mostly with each battle, mercs and base units), all the battles had a family member present (mine, at the least). None of those produced CTDs. Arverni campaign, mostly battles against Aedui, again, no CTDs, no CTDs against Romans either.

That is about as much as I can say from memory. All in v0.73a. Only CTD I encountered was the Port bug in Cyprus and some pretty random CTDs with the Arverni during sieges (nothing I could replicate), otherwise, nothing else.

The_White_Knight
03-20-2006, 20:03
I too had plenty.

An hour ago, however I had one too and I forgot to take a screenshot, but I took a screenshot after the battle showing my heroic victory sign. :2thumbsup:

https://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9389/reinforcement7kf.th.jpg (https://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reinforcement7kf.jpg)

A general of mine was standing between a sieged Athens (my city) and Chalkis (under Mac control). He planned to relief the Athenian besieged garissons. However the army sieging Athena attacked my general, so did the Chalkis garisson. I'm not sure which one attacked and which one happened to be in the 'reinforcement-square'.

The outcome was heroic.

The armies consisted out of the basic Koinon and Macedonian skirmishers/phalanx-units, a unit of Mac. hetairoi coming from Chalkis (a captain, not a general) and my own general's bodyguard of course.

I hope it helps.

~:cheers:

BigTex
03-20-2006, 20:22
I too had plenty.

An hour ago, however I had one too and I forgot to take a screenshot, but I took a screenshot after the battle showing my heroic victory sign. :2thumbsup:

https://img372.imageshack.us/img372/9389/reinforcement7kf.th.jpg (https://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=reinforcement7kf.jpg)

A general of mine was standing between a sieged Athens (my city) and Chalkis (under Mac control). He planned to relief the Athenian besieged garissons. However the army sieging Athena attacked my general, so did the Chalkis garisson. I'm not sure which one attacked and which one happened to be in the 'reinforcement-square'.

The outcome was heroic.

The armies consisted out of the basic Koinon and Macedonian skirmishers/phalanx-units, a unit of Mac. hetairoi coming from Chalkis (a captain, not a general) and my own general's bodyguard of course.

I hope it helps.

~:cheers:

I've had this problem recently, whenever I get attacked while besieging a settlement of another faction (not rebels) by a relief force. After winning the battle I get an immediate CTD after it gets done loading the campaign screen.

Also not too long ago my battle screen completely froze after moving my forces and pressing enter to begin the battle. I was macedon, and byantion was besieged. So I attacked with a relief force. We both had reinforcements, theirs were across the little channel though, maybe that had something to do with it.

aevionknight
03-20-2006, 20:39
Interesting... I wonder if it has something to do with the enemy being a faction, not rebels. I my Romani campaign, I've had plenty of reinforcement battles w/no CTD in the exact same circumstances as you described.

struckat
03-21-2006, 01:39
In my Sweboz campaign almost all reinforcement battles crash. But I currently have Baktria, Ptolemy, Casse and Mak campaigns all in the 250's with only maybe two reinforcement crashes total. But alas this mod is soooo much fun that I havent collected the details of the crashes.:shame:

Geoffrey S
03-21-2006, 08:53
Hmm. Looks like there's no CTD when fighting an enemy captain. Could it be that traits are involved for the general receiving/being the reinforcements?

Djurre
03-21-2006, 09:05
Hmm. Looks like there's no CTD when fighting an enemy captain. Could it be that traits are involved for the general receiving/being the reinforcements?

that's an idea.

Personally, as rome, i havent had this ctd yet. I've fought both reels and e. however, the battle against phyrrus, i fought without reinforcements.

Its a possibility. Do you guys have any clue as to what the cause is?

the_handsome_viking
03-21-2006, 18:57
Yes, I have.

However, everytime I have a reinforcement siege,with enemy reinforcements the game crashes,

Is this similar to your problem?

paullus
03-21-2006, 20:21
For all EB versions:

I haven't had a field battle with enemy reinforcements crash before, nor have I had a crash during a city assault where an enemy relief force arrives, but all but two of my battles where I am attacked by a relief force when besieging an enemy have ended in crashes. I can't figure out what's different about the ones of the latter type that did not crash.

One was as KH against two Mak armies outside Korinth. General on my side, no general for either enemy army. Perhaps that could be part of it?
Other was as Baktria against rebels. General on my side, and a general in the enemy reinforcements. In both battles the reinforcements were by far the larger part of the army, but that seems to be the case pretty regularly. Nothing in the unit lists different from cases where I've had crashes.

Here's an observation, I'm not sure if its really true. As far as I recall, in many (possibly all?) of the crashed battles I defeated the reinforcements first, since they were usually starting closer and posed a greater threat. In the battles where I got no crash I defeated the relief force first. Could this make a difference?

abou
03-22-2006, 04:57
I just had a battle with reinforcements without a CTD.

1. Romani and general besieging Patavium vs Independents at Patavium without general
2. Independents had reinforcements, but during the battle a message came up which stated that they would not arrive in time to participate; however, at the battle's conclusion the reinforcements were included in the unit count and actually managed to inflict a small amount of casualties upon me.
3. v0.74
4. NA
5. NA

Kull
03-22-2006, 09:08
OK - Future reports should be added to khelvan's new uber-Reinforcement Thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=62742)