PDA

View Full Version : Victory conditions

Rufus
03-23-2006, 22:16
What do you all think the victory conditions for each faction will or should be? Sounds like CA is headed toward the RTW and BI system where it was simply to conquer a certain number of provinces, with certain specific ones required. If they can mix that with some GA elements from MTW, that would be cool. Something like this:

England - Hold 20 provinces for at least 10 turns including all of Britain, Ireland and France; eliminate Scottish and French factions. Build Catholic cathedrals in London and Paris and a citadel in London. Rank at least 3rd in total trade volume.

I think you should have to not only take a certain number of provinces, but take and hold them for a while - be able to defend your empire, not just build it. I also think there should be some non-conquest conditions.

What do you all think? How about victory conditions for other factions?

Mooks
03-24-2006, 02:13
Here here!!

econ21
03-24-2006, 02:48
I thought the crusades were the most interesting GAs in MTW, but it sounds like they might be handled differently in M2TW (missions from the Pope, rather than necessarily victory conditions). I think there should be a lot of overlap between the victory conditions for different factions - one reason the crusades were fun in MTW was because you had to race other Catholics to get them going.

The French also had some interesting GAs in MTW - the Krak de Chevalier being rather daunting.

Some other possible non-conquest victory conditions:
- control the Papacy (France, Italy, Spain, HRE)
- discover the New World (Spain, England, France)
- get the preconditions for the Renaissance (lots of universities, theatres, whatever) (Italy, France, HRE?)
- establish a network of trade routes leading to China

Some ones that had to be done by certain periods of history might be good too - e.g. holding Jerusalem might be important early on along with sacking Constaninople or other key historical events.

Trajanus
03-24-2006, 06:35
Might be difficult to do Achievements by a certain period of history if the game is turn-based and not year-based as CA are talking about.

But yes essentially this is a must in my opinion. It adds so much more depth and gah! "realism" gah! to the game.

Vladimir
03-24-2006, 13:30
I'm so excited about being able to play Venice and trying to take over Northern Italy. I hope since they are making small factions like that playable that there will be some decent, GA style victory conditions.

NodachiSam
03-26-2006, 06:29
I really really hope that they allow you the option to sieze victory after a certain point. I liked the 60% victory condition but wasn't always happy with all that I'd done and getting to 100% can be boring and unsatisfying. A middle ground where you can after a certain point when you're ready take your victory would be highly appreciated. It could be a button that shows up underneath the end turn button.

lar
03-26-2006, 12:46
A middle ground where you can after a certain point when you're ready take your victory would be highly appreciated. It could be a button that shows up underneath the end turn button.

underneath end turn? can imagine accidently pressing it often! (obviously thered be a confirmation box if this was the case though)

RedCoat
04-02-2006, 22:38
I thought the crusades were the most interesting GAs in MTW, but it sounds like they might be handled differently in M2TW (missions from the Pope, rather than necessarily victory conditions). I think there should be a lot of overlap between the victory conditions for different factions - one reason the crusades were fun in MTW was because you had to race other Catholics to get them going.

The French also had some interesting GAs in MTW - the Krak de Chevalier being rather daunting.

Some other possible non-conquest victory conditions:
- control the Papacy (France, Italy, Spain, HRE)
- discover the New World (Spain, England, France)
- get the preconditions for the Renaissance (lots of universities, theatres, whatever) (Italy, France, HRE?)
- establish a network of trade routes leading to China

Some ones that had to be done by certain periods of history might be good too - e.g. holding Jerusalem might be important early on along with sacking Constaninople or other key historical events.

France had barely any part in the renaissance.

anti_strunt
04-02-2006, 22:51
France had barely any part in the renaissance.

Woke the thread just to say that? Any way; France wasn't the centre of the 15th century movement which was later attributed with discovering just about everything between heaven and earth (OMFG da Vinci!!!!1) and bringing and end to the dark ages etc. etc. etc., but most of that stuff was actually the work of the University of Paris (and of Oxford and that other English one :book: )... So yes, yes they did.

Barbarossa1221
04-03-2006, 00:27
Turkey probably has the obvious of capturing constantinople and spreading Islam.
The Moors or Almohads probably need to conquer all of Spain and the Spanish do some reconquista stuff.

And perhaps with the discovery of America is a goal for spreading Christianity and such.

Servius
04-03-2006, 03:54
I really liked the French GAs from MTW. The Krak was definitely hard, but there was also the Cathedral in Paris that was distinct. Also, Outremer was part of your homelands, so you REALLY needed to get off your butt and start crusading out east.

Vlad Tzepes
04-06-2006, 21:58
I really enjoyed GA's in MTW and hope MTW2 will keep them - it was the best way to win a game.

AntiochusIII
04-12-2006, 22:11
GA, please. That was quite a masterstroke. I miss them soooooo much.