PDA

View Full Version : More than one victory condition??

Danest
03-28-2006, 13:38
Something odd has happened, I hope this isn't a repeat of a previous topic:
as Makedon, I captured the last Epeirote town, and his generals turned rebel - so I bribed one, and, apparently, he's still the Epeirote faction leader, with their victory conditions. Does this mean I have two available victory conditions? I wonder if he'll pass the rank onto his children. I've also noticed that some bribed individuals don't seem to have an ethnicity, though I don't know whether or not all countries (like a bribed Roman) have ethnicities... mine doesn't, at least.

Foot
03-28-2006, 13:57
The victory condition is not passed from father to son but from faction leader to heir and I believe is specific to each faction so even if the old Epi leader becomes your faction leader he will pass the Makedon and not the Epi victory conditions on.

As for the ethnicities, I do know that not all ethnicites are completed yet, but I do not know if ethnicities are being worked on for rebels.

Foot

Malrubius
03-29-2006, 00:34
Normally, faction leaders can't be bribed, so I never made a trigger to remove their faction leader traits in that event (or if they turn rebel later). Might be something I should do for the future, though it might be neat to keep him as a "trophy".

Not all ethnicities are proposed or coded yet, and there are none for rebels at this time. Normally, a general's born children will acquire the father's ethnicity when they come of age; there's nothing worked out yet for generals born into one faction but bribed by another to have new mixed ethnicities (Since there are so many possible combinations, it would be pretty complicated!) We do have the "Outsider" trait that can be acquired by bribed generals, and also their fertility is lessened, to account for the lessened likelihood that the children of an outsider would be considered for positions of responsibility in their new homeland.

Cheexsta
03-29-2006, 03:32
The victory condition is not passed from father to son but from faction leader to heir and I believe is specific to each faction so even if the old Epi leader becomes your faction leader he will pass the Makedon and not the Epi victory conditions on.

I wonder what would happen if you made the ex-Epeirote into your faction heir, then? Would his current Victory Conditions trait disappear once he becomes the Leader, or would he have two sets of conditions? Would both be handed down to his son?

Interesting train of though ~;)

Malrubius
03-29-2006, 04:21
He'd have a trait for his old faction, but those wouldn't be his victory conditions anymore. Epeiros is wiped out, so it can't win. Since the victory conditions are not hereditary, but derived from assuming the "faction leader" position, his son wouldn't get the Epeirote vc trait. His son also wouldn't get the king of Epeiros trait, either, since it would be an honorary position more than one having real power. At least his father ruled an independent Epeiros at one time. (Think of the "Prince of Wales" title).

He'd still have the Basileus title from Epeiros, even though his kingdom was incorporated into a larger empire and no longer independent. If he became ruler of Makedonia, he'd also have that title. I guess it would be something like King James VI of Scotland also being King of England and Ireland. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_I_of_England) Depending on his ethnicity trait, he might even have some legitimate claim to both thrones. :shrug:

Cheexsta
03-29-2006, 11:39
Ahh, that makes sense.

Actually, come to think of it, would it be possible to have a situation where an individual can become the king of multiple places? For example, should my Makedonian king conquer Egypt, maybe he'd also be crowned Pharoah? While if he conquers Asia, he becomes King of Asia and so on?

Just an idea...

Malrubius
03-29-2006, 15:35
It would be something specific to each faction. Romans, of course, would not have anything like that, not during the Republic. There are a few titles and special messages for capturing some settlements, and I'd like to greatly expand on those.

QwertyMIDX
03-29-2006, 16:41
Giving dynastic faction areas a slew of title traits as they conquer new lands would be a cool addition.

Cheexsta
03-30-2006, 12:49
It would be something specific to each faction. Romans, of course, would not have anything like that, not during the Republic. There are a few titles and special messages for capturing some settlements, and I'd like to greatly expand on those.
Well if the Romans had an equivalent, such as Macedonicus or Africanus or somesuch it would still work. Not a huge fan of RTW's system of replacing the whole cognomen with titles, but I think it would be good. Obviously not for the "faction leader" though, more for the generals who achieve the appropriate truimphs of course.

Hell, you can even just add those extra names as a trait and not even affect the character's name at all. That way you can avoid RTW's annoying naming system. Thoughts?