PDA

View Full Version : Error message when trying to start EB

Barbarossa82
04-07-2006, 14:54
I am having trouble starting EB after a fresh install. When launching from the start menu shortcut, the splash screen loads but then CTDs with an error message:

Script Error in data/descr_sm_settlements.txt, at line 304, column 1.
Expected culture type, found nomad.

This is the procedure I followed to install EB:

1) Copied entire contents of C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome Total War to a new folder at C:\Program Files\Activision\EB (except for the "bi" directory)

2) Downloaded the RTW 1.2 patch zip file (linked from EB website). Extracted to C:\Program Files\Activision\EB\ZIP_PATCH using folder names. Copied contents of this folder ("ZIP_PATCH") into C:\Program Files\Activision\EB, selecting to overwrite any files with the same name.

3) Downloaded and installed EB Open Beta 0.7.2. Installed, specifying C:\Program Files\Activision\EB as the install directory.

4) Downloaded and istalled EB 0.7.4 patch, specifying C:\Program Files\Activision\EB as the install directory.

Can anyone please advise about what I might be doing wrong?

Lusted
04-07-2006, 14:57
If you are installing over 1.3, 1.5 or the gold edition(any install with Bi in basically) it won't work.

Barbarossa82
04-07-2006, 15:02
Thanks for your reply, Lusted. I thought that might have something to do with it, but I was hoping that extracting the 1.2 patch over it would iron that out. Problem is, how do I get a fresh install of RTW? It won't let me install it from the CD, running the setup program just asks if I want to remove it. Does this mean I have to completely uninstall my original RTW first, losing saved games and my own mods?

Megalos
04-07-2006, 19:29
Yes. A complete un-install/re-install is required.

Mega

Barbarossa82
04-07-2006, 19:55
Ouch. Still, if it's gotta be done...
Thanks for your help guys.

Kull
04-08-2006, 02:17
Thanks for your reply, Lusted. I thought that might have something to do with it, but I was hoping that extracting the 1.2 patch over it would iron that out. Problem is, how do I get a fresh install of RTW? It won't let me install it from the CD, running the setup program just asks if I want to remove it. Does this mean I have to completely uninstall my original RTW first, losing saved games and my own mods?

There is another alternative. Do whatever reinstalls are necessary to get your current 1.5 directory working again. Then make a copy of the whole thing. Here's where it get's tricky. I've heard that there's a way to copy a downloadable set of 1.2 files on top of 1.5, and that will return it to the earlier version. Do some forum searches to find those instructions, and be sure to downgrade the copied directory, not the original.

Failing that, you still don't have to lose your saved games or any user created files. I'm a little unclear on everything that's removed via the uninstall, but you could always copy those files you wish to keep over to a non-RTW directory for safekeeping.

Barbarossa82
04-08-2006, 16:07
I think that's what I was trying to do - there is a link from the EB website to a ZIP file containing the 1.2 patch in the form of a collection of files to be copied into the RTW directory. I did this, but still got the error message. The only possibility I can think of is that the descr_sm_settlements.txt file didn't get changed in 1.2 but was changed in either 1.3 or 1.5, so copying in the 1.2 files didn't replace it. Very annoying!

Kull
04-08-2006, 17:12
I think that's what I was trying to do - there is a link from the EB website to a ZIP file containing the 1.2 patch in the form of a collection of files to be copied into the RTW directory. I did this, but still got the error message. The only possibility I can think of is that the descr_sm_settlements.txt file didn't get changed in 1.2 but was changed in either 1.3 or 1.5, so copying in the 1.2 files didn't replace it. Very annoying!

If the EB team posted the "fix" file, then I'd feel pretty confident that it will take a vanilla 1.5 and turn it into a vanilla 1.2. What it may not do is take a modded 1.5 and turn it into vanilla 1.2. Look for file dates that are newer/different from either 1.2 or 1.5 and you probably have the culprit.

At this point, though, it's probably faster to uninstall/reinstall. If you have the hard disk space, make copies of your vanilla RTW installs and make mods only to the copies. Personally I have vanilla versions of 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, and 1.6. Every time I decide to test a mod, I do so on a copy of those. Takes up some space, but the frustration days are over.