PDA

View Full Version : Testing the Water: Luntz Democrat Focus Group 2008

Divinus Arma
04-12-2006, 02:16
This is an under-the-radar piece floating around that may become big. Frank Luntz is a major political strategist. Using Democrat Focus Groups, we are able to get a clear picture of who we can expect to run in the Democratic Primaries for 2008:

Hillary, Kerry, Edwards, Biden, Warner, Richardson, Feingold, Bayh, and Vilsack.

The best part for the rest of us is that we can see the Democratic Strategy long before they begin applying it. Luntz makes great arguments for the Democratic Platform in 2008, and it capitalizes well on Republican weakness created by: (1) Bush mishandling of the War, (2) Huge deficits and pork budgets, and (3) The few losers in the house on their way to jail.

I know it seems early but we are going to see one of two things happen in the months ahead: Either the Democrats will be energized and focus on the commandmants outlined by Luntz, or they will remain incoherent and fractured.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the aisle, the Republicans MUST focus on their policy roots that make them relevant: (1) Smaller government, (2) State's Rights, (3) National Security and immigration, and (4) Responsibility in Federal spending. If the Republicans fail to show consistency on these issues in the next year, Republicans will stay away from the polls in disillusionment.

Republicans can also lead above Democrats by working towards Energy independence in a big way and reforming the health care system. Meanwhile, immigration can backfire on Democrats: The black lobby is totally undercut by the growing hispanic minority while watching their lower paid jobs be stolen by the illegals or "temporary worker-voters". Furthermore, the Hispanic culture is largely catholic; not a good thing in a pro-choice party.

It seems to me that the Republicans will have the edge ONLY if they can quit the BS and get back to what they stand for. Otherwise, the White House and Congress is theirs to lose.

If anybody can find the Luntz report on word or html, please post the link. My adobe ain't working.

Here's the linky. (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/3/31/21935/1283)

Spetulhu
04-12-2006, 02:30
Meanwhile, on the other side of the aisle, the Republicans MUST focus on their policy roots that make them relevant: (1) Smaller government, (2) State's Rights, (3) National Security and immigration, and (4) Responsibility in Federal spending. If the Republicans fail to show consistency on these issues in the next year, Republicans will stay away from the polls in disillusionment.

They haven't exactly been working for these things. The best strategy would be to blame the Democrats for it anyway. That's consistent and the voters like to hear it. :laugh4:

Kanamori
04-12-2006, 03:11
I like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Luntz).~D "Warning: This Might Actually Be Illegal.":laugh4:

Really, the following is my problem with Democracy as it has developed in modern times: "10. Winning is everything. And the only thing. As in 2004, Democrats want to win. Unlike 2004, they REALLY want to win. No candidate will secure the nomination whom they fear will lose to the Republican nominee. Electability is going to play a major role in 2008."

It seems that they're main priority is getting people to vote for them, however they may do it, rather than for putting their ideas out there and letting the people decide on them. It often becomes a contest between two parties, rather than a contest of ideas.

Alexander the Pretty Good
04-12-2006, 03:18
Wasn't Kerry their weapon of choice in following that train of thought in '04? :inquisitive:

[the Democrats] will remain incoherent and fractured

One can only hope. :juggle2:

Reverend Joe
04-12-2006, 03:41
Oh, c'mon... we have two and a half years until the next election. Nobody knows, and nobody cares, who will be running yet. Give it a goddamn break!

Divinus Arma
04-12-2006, 04:05
Oh, c'mon... we have two and a half years until the next election. Nobody knows, and nobody cares, who will be running yet. Give it a goddamn break!

What is your prob man? This is the most important part. The campaign is just for the masses of robots and jello-flavored pudding pops. The pre-campaign strategy planning is the juicy component where we get to see if candidates actually stand for anything. Look at John McCain stage-diving into marginalization, flip-flopping like a Kerry-pancake. Look at Hillary Clinton: "I'm tough on Immigration, or wait, No! They should all have the right to vote!"

This is the feeding frenzy of ideas. There is blood in the water and everyone knows it. If you give a hoot about politics at all, then you should be paying the most attention now and then disdain the actual campaign as the media laughfest that it is.

solypsist
04-12-2006, 04:36
god i hope it isn't hillary