PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 1.3 and 1.5 descr_sm_factions.txt?

Kaidonni
04-17-2006, 13:08
I'm running 1.3, and because of a reinstallation of Windows, it doesn't recognise BI or RTW when I try to patch to 1.5/1.6, so RTW needs reinstalling.

However, it has hit me that I might not need to reinstall and patch up just yet...How does the descr_sm_factions.txt differ between 1.3 and 1.5? Notably, the prefers_naval_invasions line? Does it say yes instead of no for some factions? I ask because this concerns the Roman expansion bug. This might help me instead of having to reinstall right away. Thanks for any help you can afford me.

EDIT: Currently, I have the Scipii, Brutii, Britannia and Carthage set to yes on prefers_naval_invasions. I just don't know if it will really make any difference though. That's why I'm asking on the differences between the two versions of the same file. Any help on which factions have it set to yes in 1.5 would also be appreciated. In my Pontus 1.3 H/H campaign, it's 265BC Winter, but I don't want to start over...a quick alteration to the descr_sm_factions.txt could very well be easier rather than reinstalling, patching, etc etc. Plus I just don't want to start over, so any changes to make my current campaign better before it's far too late will be great. Thanks.

Lusted
04-17-2006, 13:31
1.5 does not edit the descr_sm_factions i believe, the roman expansion bug is fixed through the hardcode i believe, no faction has prefers naval invasions set to yes.

Kaidonni
04-17-2006, 14:05
Looking through the forums here, I found a topic where someone was asking about how to slow Roman expansion in 1.5, and something was mentioned about turning prefers_naval_invasions to no from yes...so, I'm a bit confused. It's no use checking 1.2's descr_sm_factions.txt because that is drastically different from 1.3's.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=63344 is the link to the topic I was just on about. Post #3 to be specific.

Lusted
04-17-2006, 14:15
No faction has it set to yes in 1.5, CA just fixed the ai so the romans expanded properly, and i know of no way to slow the romans expansion down.

Kaidonni
04-17-2006, 14:23
Thanks. I actually wanted their expansion to be normal (i.e. Romans conquering the world). Adds so much more challenge. Just looked through Total War Centre, and using the search option, I have found a topic that says it does seem to help turning prefers_naval_invasions to yes. Not a big topic, however here's the link:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38858&highlight=descr_sm_factions

Perhaps this naval invasion option is a simpler way of partially fixing the expansion bug. With my modified units mod I used before that cut costs and upkeep and upgrades of units, the Scipii were doing well expanding, as were the Julii. The Brutii...they got p'wned by rebels, since as the rebels could build very large garrisons...lol. However, I've started a different campaign with no cut costs whatsoever, so the expansion of the Romans might be hindered by the fact they can't build hundreds of cheap Hastati and Princepes, etc.

Lusted
04-17-2006, 14:51
I would just suggest installing 1.5, it fixes the expansion bug and is the best version of RTW.

Kaidonni
04-17-2006, 15:43
That's the problem...need to reinstall...Windows doesn't recognise BI when I try to patch it up...Windows was reinstalled after BI and RTW were put on the computer...so I really don't fancy lots of reinstalling, patching and modding at the moment...