PDA

View Full Version : Art History of the Acropolis

Ianofsmeg16
04-19-2006, 12:04
Ok, a friend of mine is doing an assignment for school and he asked me for some help on the history of the art in the Acropolis. Specifically the Parthenon, but with some brief notes on the other buildings on the acropolis. Could anyone give me some help in helping my friend?:help:

yesdachi
04-19-2006, 14:21
Ok, a friend of mine is doing an assignment for school and he asked me for some help on the history of the art in the Acropolis. Specifically the Parthenon, but with some brief notes on the other buildings on the acropolis. Could anyone give me some help in helping my friend?:help:
I remember studying it in one of my art history classes; I will try and dig thru my notes tonight to see if there was anything interesting I recorded.

The Stranger
04-19-2006, 18:26
I would be that friend, and everyone that could help me is much apreciated.

what Ian forgot to mention is that it is about both decoration and the building.

thanx everybody (specially Ian)

Aenlic
04-20-2006, 01:46
Most of what I know about the Acropolis deals with Lord Elgin making off with most of the marble decorations in typical British Empire fashion.

A good place to start is this map with buildings listed (http://www.athensguide.gr/pop/acropolis.html) and history of the Acropolis in Athens. Just do a web search for each of the 35 points listed on the map and you should be good to go. I'd use Alta Vista (http://www.altavista.com/) instead of Google, though. Google is a mess and pretty much useless for detailed web searching.

And don't forget to mention that the Greek government is officially trying to get the Elgin marbles and other stolen art returned. ;)

The Stranger
04-20-2006, 21:07
yeah, but the elgin marbles will be discussed in a other chapter. the archeology of the Acropolis. this piece is just a small part of the assignment. but i couldnt find much info on google. so ill follow your tip and use alta vista

The Stranger
04-22-2006, 15:46
please. more info :D

yesdachi
04-23-2006, 04:14
I remember studying it in one of my art history classes; I will try and dig thru my notes tonight to see if there was anything interesting I recorded.
Well I found my notes but unfortunately they are not very complete, although I am sure they made more sense to me back during the time I was in the class. The only portion of the notes that might be of any use to you relating to decoration and the building are that the columns are both Doric and Ionic, indicating a later completion date compared to other buildings like the Acropolis). Also the idea that the buildings location was part of some great design, and that parts of the building itself are undoubtedly designed with the “golden mean” in mind especially in the horizontal tears but completely disregarded in other prominent shapes.

I doubt it is much but it is what I got.

The Stranger
04-24-2006, 19:12
thank you :bow: