PDA

View Full Version : Explosive growth

Volume II
04-20-2006, 19:17
I've been playing as Epieros in v 0.8 on M/M and I've noticed that my cities grow at an absurdly large rate. I've got all of them on very high tax rates, and I still get high nubmers. Ambrakia, for instance, had a 6.5% growth rate (it's huge now), and now I have ungodly amounts of squalor. I know I'm supposed to specialize cities and such, but I spend almost all of my time building sewers and Asklepions and the like. I was wondering if this is supposed to happen, or if it is just a holdover from vanilla (although I can't recall having anything like this happen in vanilla rome).

It doesn't seem to make much sense that withn a space of 30-40 years, the whole greek peninsula could increase it's population tenfold. This includes the formerly Koinon cities Sparte and Athens, which were quite literally down to 450 citizens when I occupied them.

Right now I'm dealing with at least 7 cities with populations over 30k, and I'm findign I have to build craploads of akontistoi just to keep the tax rate at a reasonable level. I can't enslave populations because that'll just exacerbate the problems at home, and I can't exterminate them, either, even if that would help, because then I can't rebuild my armies in the field.

I was just wondering if this was a bug, or if anyoen else was having this problem. It's rather frustrating, to say the least.

edyzmedieval
04-20-2006, 21:14
It's not supposed to be a bug. I even had in Alexandria 8% population growth. Regions with grain as a tradable good usually get big population growth.

Or it might be a script bug, but I highly doubt it, because scripts rarely affect population growth.

Teleklos Archelaou
04-20-2006, 21:21
There will be a different harvest script in an upcoming build. I doublt any big changes will be evaluated before we get that in place.

PseRamesses
04-21-2006, 08:59
I've been playing as Epieros in v 0.8 on M/M and I've noticed that my cities grow at an absurdly large rate. I've got all of them on very high tax rates, and I still get high nubmers. Ambrakia, for instance, had a 6.5% growth rate (it's huge now), and now I have ungodly amounts of squalor. I know I'm supposed to specialize cities and such, but I spend almost all of my time building sewers and Asklepions and the like. I was wondering if this is supposed to happen, or if it is just a holdover from vanilla (although I can't recall having anything like this happen in vanilla rome).

It doesn't seem to make much sense that withn a space of 30-40 years, the whole greek peninsula could increase it's population tenfold. This includes the formerly Koinon cities Sparte and Athens, which were quite literally down to 450 citizens when I occupied them.

Right now I'm dealing with at least 7 cities with populations over 30k, and I'm findign I have to build craploads of akontistoi just to keep the tax rate at a reasonable level. I can't enslave populations because that'll just exacerbate the problems at home, and I can't exterminate them, either, even if that would help, because then I can't rebuild my armies in the field.

I was just wondering if this was a bug, or if anyoen else was having this problem. It's rather frustrating, to say the least.
The main problem is the percentage growth rate rather than a fixed one and having cities like Alexandria growing at 11% makes it tough to keep up. You know ofcourse that you can give settlements to enemies and retaking them the very same turn, right? Then exterminate them. A 30k pop city will be reduced down to 7-8k so you can still build troops and you´ll get an cash boost of some 22-23k from exterminating. This is the only way to manage, quite absurd. Also, don´t build farms!

@EB team devs,
Wouldn´t it be possible to implement a certain string of buildings/ infrastructure that actually will reduce city growth and as a consequence increase happiness and reduce squalor? In reality a city will not grow with an abundance of food etc if there´s no room to expand, right?!