PDA

View Full Version : Taking Prisoners!!!!

edwardusbenedictus
04-24-2006, 16:33
Humm well it's been a long time since i posted In this forum... so forgive me if this has already been spoken about...
MTW had th option to take prisoners on the battle field and then had an option to ransom them or Execute them!!!
but RTW never had such thing maybe in that era there was no such thing as ransoming but only enslaving!!! but th prisoners could not be captured on the battle field!!! Cud enslave a settlement!!!!
well ma Q is Will there be an option to Capture fleeing Enemy soldiers on the battle field Like the Original MTW????????????????
which i'm playing rite now!!! got tired of RTW

but RTWBI was not bad it was much better than RTW though but the herd movement was a real pain.... i'm going off topic Now!!!!

hope CA does add that feature and to ransom them too!!! Or execute Or Enslave them... that'll be cool too... to put to work in the castles and Town settlements to increase Production!!!

GiantMonkeyMan
04-24-2006, 16:45
there's been no official comments although a lot of people hope that they are going to add that task since... well it was cool wasn't it :laugh4: but knowing CA at the moment, i think they are trying to keep things simple (ie Turns/Years) so they might not fully change the engine to much with that many complications

my 2 cents
GMM

edwardusbenedictus
04-24-2006, 17:08
there's been no official comments although a lot of people hope that they are going to add that task since... well it was cool wasn't it :laugh4: but knowing CA at the moment, i think they are trying to keep things simple (ie Turns/Years) so they might not fully change the engine to much with that many complications

my 2 cents
GMM

humm ok in btw thanx for the quick reply....
well i'm pretty down on the modding and praogramming side but is it so hard to intergrate what they already did in the previous MTW???
well if well in Medieval times POW's werent massacred like in Roman period Rite????

Watchman
04-24-2006, 17:14
Back in the days of Antiquity the general approach was to wipe out enemy armies to the last man if possible. This wasn't an ironbound rule of course - I understand Hannibal ended up enlisting quite a few Roman and Italian prisoners in his army, and apparently in the Diadochi struggles it was often preferred to try to talk particularly mercenaries into surrendering and changing sides once the outcome of the battle was clear.

But, generally speaking, the standard approach was pretty sanguinary.

In the Middle Ages, however, many warriors fought almost as much to capture ranking enemies for ransom as anything else; there was real economical incentive to keep at least the aristocratic warriors alive.

A.Saturnus
04-24-2006, 20:33
In the Middle Ages, however, many warriors fought almost as much to capture ranking enemies for ransom as anything else; there was real economical incentive to keep at least the aristocratic warriors alive.

Not to mention the economy of slavery Muslim factions employed.

Avicenna
04-24-2006, 21:18
Aristocrats were held in antiquity as well: Julius Caesar himself was held for ransom by pirates. The Romans paid the pirates for his safe release, and then got rid of the pirates, but not as harshly as they would have done because Caesar felt they had treated him with respect.

econ21
04-24-2006, 21:33
The Romans paid the pirates for his safe release, and then got rid of the pirates, but not as harshly as they would have done because Caesar felt they had treated him with respect.

The version of the story I heard was that young Caesar when in captivity told the pirates that he would come back and kill them. They laughed. But that's exactly what he did when he was released.

edwardusbenedictus
04-24-2006, 21:46
Wil CA include the MTW Option of taking prisoners??????

Alexander the Pretty Good
04-24-2006, 21:53
Awww. I read the title and thought it was back in.

:bigcry:

HarunTaiwan
04-25-2006, 10:59
In Roman times, captured enemies on the field were usually made into slaves and would bring a handsome bonus for the general and his troops as part of the booty. I don't know why this is not a feature in RTW.

mfberg
04-25-2006, 14:05
I hope they will put prisoners back in.

mfberg

Dragon20
04-25-2006, 21:04
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=60200

^An old topic started by me when work on MTW2 was just confirmed. Apparently there would be prisoners in the game. But as we are hearing so little about it I start to worry CA might "forget" them. :ahh:

sapi
04-27-2006, 08:32
The version of the story I heard was that young Caesar when in captivity told the pirates that he would come back and kill them. They laughed. But that's exactly what he did when he was released.
I think that's the one i heard too. I'd have hated to be those pirates!

ride the lightning
05-04-2006, 12:47
Will you have the optoin of executing your prisoners as to prevent rebel uprisings, or maybe you just don't like them?

Batory
05-06-2006, 15:56
They have to give you that option, i mean whats the point of taking prisoners if you can't choose what to do with them.. they should add a torture as an option of at least generals so that can gain some useful info about your enemy....that should go for assassins and spies when they are captured...:skull:

Goalie
05-08-2006, 17:06
In Roman times, captured enemies on the field were usually made into slaves and would bring a handsome bonus for the general and his troops as part of the booty. I don't know why this is not a feature in RTW.

Yea, i agree that should have been in RTW. That is how the romans got most of their soldiers and gladiators.

Kralizec
05-09-2006, 10:55
Aristocrats were held in antiquity as well: Julius Caesar himself was held for ransom by pirates. The Romans paid the pirates for his safe release, and then got rid of the pirates, but not as harshly as they would have done because Caesar felt they had treated him with respect.

IIRC both are true. Caesar had them crucified, but killed them prior to it or immediately afterward. Otherwise they'd been hanging on those crosses for days before dieing.

ivoignob
05-09-2006, 13:23
Look this thread regarding taking prisoners.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=64448

Mooks
05-10-2006, 12:47
Caesar is the most interesting and most unique person in history I think. Just the wide range of his abilitys made him some sort of man-god back then.

Incongruous
05-11-2006, 21:45
Really?

I reckon he was a bloddy minded maniac (he was most probably suffering from some kind of brain tumor later on).

Anyway I reckon this time you should be able to relagate who gets ransomed.

Mooks
05-12-2006, 12:32
Really?

I reckon he was a bloddy minded maniac (he was most probably suffering from some kind of brain tumor later on).

Anyway I reckon this time you should be able to relagate who gets ransomed.

You need to read about him. He was one of the most talented people ever.

And prisoners should be able to be released, same with assasin and spys, dont know why.