PDA

View Full Version : Adding new elements to a uv map

satanea juda
04-30-2006, 01:44
I've added these new shapes to a model, can anyone tell me how i get them to show in the same uv map, as the model texture,

https://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3172/dracule2tj.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Thanks.

hoggy
05-03-2006, 11:28
you need to select the objects then assign the material to those objects (in material editor - shortcut M)

satanea juda
05-04-2006, 23:44
Cheers hoggy, i'd worked it out but thanks for the reply anyway :2thumbsup:

Somthing else i have a problem with now and then, sometimes when i've altered a uv map, it looks fine in max but in game it's a little distorted, any idea's about this?.

Burns
05-05-2006, 03:58
Uwrap the UVmap and check that. Sometimes objects get a bit screwed up when exporting.

satanea juda
05-05-2006, 21:49
I've tried that but even when i re-map the whole model it sometimes is still twisted,

Cheers anyway.

Burns
05-05-2006, 22:55
If you want, send the model and Ill check to see what the problem is.

satanea juda
05-08-2006, 01:38
Wow thats a really kind offer, but i already remade the model, thanks though.
and i found out what the problem was, i think, part of the Uv map was way off screen in the uv editor, seperate from the rest,

Cheers,

Burns
05-08-2006, 05:44
Glad to hear you got it fixed. I've had that same problem sometimes as well.

Sundjata Keita
05-08-2006, 18:15
The fact that part of the model was way off the screen in the editor shouldn't matter, the texture will just repeat after the dimensions of the original tile.

The actual problem is probably a lot more complex ~:) Just what you wanted to hear. It's difficult to explain but I was having similar problems a while ago. Basically the .cas format only allows you to have one of each vertex in the UV map so often if you use preset layouts (box, flatten etc.) then it repeats the vertex as they can appear on more than one face of the object. When you export it merges the vertexes together and makes a large mess creating a scrambled texture in game.

One way to fix it would be to break the "offending" vertexes but what this does is splits them so you have two vertexes for your previous one. While this solves a small mapping problem it can increase the amount of vertexes on your model so its not really a good solution.

The best thing to do is create a good UV map where you are sure none overlap, which I'm sorry to say is the hard work option but sometimes it just has to be done. I hope this helps :2thumbsup:

Regards,

Sundjata

satanea juda
05-09-2006, 01:10
Ah, that was'nt the problem here, the bit that was off screen was also over the wrong part of the texture, in an area that was hard to recognise,
but your explination does explain a rather nasty incident i had with a shield a while back, after 5 days and coming close to throwing my computor out the window, i dumped the whole model, an hour later i had a replacment unit that was miles better, every cloud as they say.

Cheers guys.