PDA

View Full Version : Is this the so-called 'reinforcement bug?'

qvcatullus
05-01-2006, 22:06
Hi. I saw a couple threads a page or two back about the reinforcement bug, but they were locked -- didn't know if the folks in charge were hearing about it or whatever. I have a recurring CTD on one savegame that might be related.
My Macedonian army, led by a general, tried to attack an epeirote army, but only made it as far as the tile in front of their army -- oops. Have to be more careful next time. Anyway, my stack ended its turn in the mountains west of Thessaly. It is not near a city, and there are no sieges involved.
When I end my turn, king Pyrrhus, who was in the fog of war south of my army, comes around and attacks me from the other side, pinning my army in. I then go on to beat the snot out of him because his troops are divided and I'm able to kill him quickly (that boy has a LOT of command stars, so I felt pretty good). Then I totally wiped out the rest of the stack. I turned around and beat the other stack (which was commanded by a captain) and totally wiped it out too. So, 0 survivors on their side.
Yay, heroic victory, few losses, everything's good. Hit the button to end the battle, and CTD.

I tried reproducing it... fought the battle again, but this time I intentionally let some of each army survive. Still killed king Pyrrhus, of course. The fellow likes to charge my phalanx.
Still a CTD at the end of the battle.

Could this be the reinforcements CTD? Is there a way around it? I'm an idiot and I compulsively saved at the end of the turn, so there's nothing I can do to avoid this battle. Someone suggested using the neutered traits file to see if that helps... is that something I should try?
Is this information useful to anyone who is still tracking this bug down?

Kull
05-04-2006, 04:16
Yes, that is the dreaded reinforcement CTD bug. You can try the neutered traits file to see if it helps, but the only sure workaround is to have no generals in ANY of the battle armies, or to find ways to avoid mutiple army battles (if he attacks, retreat).

We are very familiar with it, so there's no need to post a file or anything. Hope this helps.

Teleklos Archelaou
05-04-2006, 04:18
Or the one way that works for now in those situations: the dreaded auto-resolve :grin:

aln
05-10-2006, 21:17
I've just fought a battle against the Aedui as the Romani. I was besieging a their town in northern Italia, can't remember its name. It was a reinforcement battle with 3 generals in total, 2 Aedui and 1 Romani. One general sallied from the town the other attacked from outside. I got a clear victory with minimal casualties . No CTD at the end of the battle. Does this CTD problem only occur with heroic results?.
Sorry do not have a save game.