PDA

View Full Version : My DVD/CD drive won't open...

Steppe Merc
05-04-2006, 20:29
Not sure if this is the right place... but my DVD CD drive won't open. There's nothing in it, but I'm going through RTW and Oblivion withdrawl... Any one have any suggestiosn at all?

Beirut
05-04-2006, 20:49
Is the light on? Could the power supply connection have been disconnected?

Stuck disk?

You could always try re-installing the drive with the Windows hardware manager.

Best of luck.

KukriKhan
05-04-2006, 21:57
On the front of the drive, look for a teeny, tiny little hole (it's often in the lower left area, as you're looking at it - but varies by manufacturer).

Straighten out a paper-clip, and stick it into the hole. The tray should eject just a little, but enough to grasp it and pull it all the way out.

Then try another known-good disc. If it works fine, that stuck disc might be munged up now. If it doesn't work fine with the known-good disc, your drive may have reached its end of the road. But before you ditch it, try re-installing it, as Beirut suggest above.

Steppe Merc
05-04-2006, 23:12
Thanks for all your help. I believe I've more or less got it working... at least it opened and I was able to play Oblivion.

LeftEyeNine
05-04-2006, 23:20
Gah ! Kukri is faster than light ! :bow:

Steppe Merc
05-16-2006, 21:17
Well, I did fix it, but now it's broken for good... the tray is ejected, and won't close. How much would it cost for me to fix this? Can I get a replacment tray without getting a new computer? I assume so, but I have no idea, and my dad who usually handles the computer repair stuff is in Europe...

Mouzafphaerre
05-16-2006, 21:31
The manufacturer would repair it for free unless its warranty excludes such sort of damage or is outdated. If it's an old thingie, getting a new one might be more cost effective though.

In any case you don't need a new computer. Man, you gotta get a little more nerdish. ~D

Steppe Merc
05-16-2006, 21:36
Heh, I know, I'm bad. I didn't think so, but I wanted to be absolutely sure.

Edit: Disregard my edit that was here.