PDA

View Full Version : Carthage is doing something, sweet.

PantsToucher
05-15-2006, 02:45
Yes it is true, for the first time ever Carthage is doing something on mainland Europe. I haven't been interfering at all, as I'm playing as Baktria to up my skills before having another go as my boys the Getai, and Carthage rolled over the Iberian tribes and took all of Iberia. Now they have pushed into western gaul along the coast, and are fighting the two gaulish nations. The germans are coming from the north and have gotten to the alps and are fighting the Romans, who are fighting pretty much everyone but Carthage who they allied with. Pretty cool stuff, I wish i was closer to the action.

Anyone else have their own unique campaign happenings? I was pretty surprised when my spy got over to Italy and saw Carthage's armies in Gaul.

Dooz
05-15-2006, 04:16
Might you post a screenshot? I'd love to actually see that ~:) .

NeoSpartan
05-15-2006, 18:54
Oh man that sounds awesome.

In my campain as the Aedui Carthage, Iberia, and Sweboz ain't doing S:furious3: !!!
So the Romans got tired of me paying them $300 tributes and decided to go to war with me. Now I have the 1-full stack army I can afford to maintian/retrain keeping the Romans off while sacking thier nearby towns. And I've allied with Iberia, Carthege, Sweboz, and Dacia.

WHEN IS THE 1st PUNIC WAR GOING TO START!!!!!!!!!! (its already 250+ BC)

Avicenna
05-16-2006, 08:06
Same as my campaign Neo!

The Iberians are the richest single faction, but they just seem to be staying in the same place, not doing much at all.

Trithemius
05-16-2006, 12:12
Might you post a screenshot? I'd love to actually see that ~:) .

Seconded, I'd love a screenshot of this. Carthage is pretty quiet in my games.

PantsToucher
05-16-2006, 17:57
Well, I'll try and get a screeny up eventually, I have examens all week so I don't have any time to spare playing EB. So instead I exiled myself from my Rome TW disk so I wouldn't waste time playing, so I can't start up my campaign right now. There isn't really that much cool that a picture would show, just a big white Iberia.

soibean
05-21-2006, 15:21
I cant honestly think of a time when the AI did anything extraordinary like carthage expanding on the mainland... I did have the Epeirotes launch a sea invasions on my Romans once which caught me by surprise but thats about it

The AI seems to be very passive unless you attack them first, then the 30k a turn they get can really get to you after awhile.

Cadwalader
05-23-2006, 12:14
I'm playing as macedon, and Carthaginians are (more or less) invading italy. That's cool.

stalin
05-25-2006, 19:16
It is 258bc I have taken Carthage (defended by 4 units). To my shock i discovered that all the neighboring cities have MIC 5 and are churning out elites like mad. Carthage owns the battlefield, only through sheer numbers I can stay on the continent. I am producing my principes and hastati as quick as I can (I use only the infantry) but they are going to grind me down cos they are allied to all my neighbours. Oh yes and they own Egypt all the way to jerusalem.

Atreidis
07-21-2006, 00:03
In RTW when I was playing as the Greek Cities the Brutii landed two full stack armies in Athens. Note that I had driven them away from the Balkans.

NeoSpartan
07-22-2006, 09:01
OK so I restarted my Aedui campain on H/H and now I took all of Gaulia, Germania, Italy, and Sicilly. So I decided to take on Carthege just for the Hell it. I wanted to see a Clash between Celts and Carthagininas.

BUT as the other guy said Carthege has MIC5 and putting out TOP NOTCH units. And man, those fine, upstanding combatants - Moderator - are hard to kill.

I think the HOT desert is affecting the strengh of my Celts. Does that happen????

Teleklos Archelaou
07-22-2006, 17:33
Maybe marching through it is affecting you more and making them have bad morale (if the general is really worn out). But that is something that would have happened, so it's good not to try and avoid it by just using captain-led armies.

The AI will always go for the MIC upgrades quicker than the human player will. That's one incentive though to take their cities from them. :grin:

O'ETAIPOS
07-22-2006, 18:44
I think the HOT desert is affecting the strengh of my Celts. Does that happen????

It is possible as stats file has place for bonuses based on battlefield (snow, wood, desert and one more) they are probably more powerful in desert than in other climates while celts without these bonuses have more problems

sedlacekj
07-28-2006, 14:27
I played an Iberia campain recently, and I was at war pretty soon with Karth-Hadast. I stopped a few of their incursions, and then Rome asked me to be an ally. I needed the money and bargained for more and finally accepted once the price was right. Next turn, Rome takes a city adjacent to me that I was marching on. That made me mad, so I attacked the city after the 4 unit Roman army was inside and took it for myself. Rome had been at war with both gaullic factions and carthage up to this point. Within two turns Rome secured alliances with Aedui, Avernii, and Carthage. Now I had to fight everyone. I thought that this was a unique diplomatic situation. Any thoughts?

NeoSpartan
07-28-2006, 22:47
It will happen in VH or H campain difficulty, so its best that you have secure alliances and destroy the factions you are at war with quickly. Oh and anohter thing, ROME is a DANGEROUS ALLIE.

As long as they are far they are GOOD. But the second they are next to your borders, you must prepare yourself for a Future Conflict. However, you can your time by sending $ to Romes enemies, and Not Starting Problems with them.

Oh by the way Moderator, (my previous post)
"And man, those fine, upstanding combatants - Moderator - are hard to kill." :laugh4:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude, I thought I could get away with what I wrote. LOL!!!!!!!!! My fault man, my fault.......

The Spartan (Returns)
07-28-2006, 22:52
hahaha! thats not impressive imo. in vanila RTW (Tiberius you already heard this) Carthage (medium campaign diff.) took over all of iberia and africa. and is at war with egypt. in iberia the carthaginian armies had elephants in each army (amoured or war) and had poeni and sacred band inf. did i mention everytime you kill an army another shows up? (its like ten stacks then they grow ans grow)

The Spartan (Returns)
07-28-2006, 22:52
double post

sedlacekj
07-29-2006, 12:56
Oh and anohter thing, ROME is a DANGEROUS ALLIE.

That's why I attacked them right after the alliance. I took the money first and the roman city on the next turn. I don't trust them a bit. I did not mind the offer and the cash though.

Avicenna
08-05-2006, 03:43
Hmm, Carthage has done a little special something in my campaign too: there are Carthaginian armies in Cilicia.

:inquisitive:

Anyone know how? There's no nearby Carthaginian fleet, and I doubt they could sail from North-west Africa to Cilicia without getting sunk by the pirate fleet. They could hardly walk from NW Africa through enemy territory as well.

Moros
08-09-2006, 17:52
Is there a Carthaginian town there? Maybe it rebelled to Carthage? OR something.

Fondor_Yards
08-09-2006, 17:55
In my pontus campain, I saw Carthage own Side. I guess they must have bribed it, since they had a diplomat there. The next turn it either rebelled back to the Ptolemaics or they rebribed it. A few turns later, carthage bribed it again, and the ptolemaics rebribed it again.

Tyfus
08-09-2006, 19:48
I've got something kinda cool and totally inacurrate in my game.
the Iberians have expelled Carthage from their peninsula, have cut through the southern gaul cities and are now starting to send full stacks across the alps into heavy Roman territory. This is good for me as the romans were getting a little to close to me.
I'm Casse and I'm invading the main land through scandinavia and having a seriously bloody war with the sweboz.

Teleklos Archelaou
08-09-2006, 21:24
What kind of stacks are they sending? That's cool - but what is wrong about it to you? I love that they have the ability (even if they very rarely do it) to expand into nearby areas.

As for Side, it's sort of isolated. It's hard for factions to get family members there if they lose them, so it's a prime target to bribe. Plus, it doesn't make many core units, so the units that do garrison it are cheaper to bribe. All of that makes for a city quite likely to change hands through diplomatic mischief, but it's sort of nice that it can.

Fondor_Yards
08-10-2006, 03:52
Yea lol Carthage got 1 1/2 stacks of greeks archers and levies out the deal, of which it prompy marched back to carthage. Something tells me they didn't get past the Nile.

Avicenna
08-10-2006, 07:28
Nope, the Carthies are just.. there. Side is still Ptolemaic, though my spy there is trying to change that. They've been standing there for years as well, right next to Ptolemaic soldiers, and not engaging them in combat. They've been at war for ages.

Tuuvi
08-12-2006, 06:20
I've seen Gaul in Asia. Now that was wierd.

Avicenna
08-12-2006, 07:27
It's because historically some Gauls migrated with Brennus (not the one who sacked Rome) and settled in Galatia, in modern day central Turkey. That's why Ankyra isn't a Hellenic city, and the Hellenes can only recruit Celts from there. The mercenaries in that area are predominantly Gallic as well. Ankyra can rebel to the Gauls.

I suppose then that the Carthaginians were supposed to have gotten Phoenica from a rebellion, am I correct? If that is what happened, Kudos to the Ptolemaics/Selucids for retaking Phoenica before I noticed.

NeoSpartan
08-12-2006, 21:57
Ok here is a pic of my Gaul campain. I know it doesn't look good, I took the pic of the map using my cell phone. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE THE MAP OUT OF THE GAME AND PUT IT IN PAINT.

Anyways here is the deal. I have all of Western Europe, exept Ibreria, and Brittain. I took the mediterranian coast of Iberia, and I am moving to finish off the Iberians.

I took 2 of carthage islands and one city in the main land. But since all I can train there are Numidian Jav and Numidian Cavl, and Carthege is pumping out MIC5 guys and I won't be able to keep it for long. :(

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/Neospartan/th_2-1.jpg (https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/Neospartan/2-1.jpg)

Can't Gaul make any stonger guys than Gagastrae (sp)? And if I build a gov't type 4 in a main Carthage city will I be able to make some decent troops instead of only javerlins (sp)??????

Moros
08-12-2006, 22:02
you know there are tools and there is the print screen button to take screenshot...

NeoSpartan
08-12-2006, 22:52
you know there are tools and there is the print screen button to take screenshot...

Where???? Is it on the Menu bar, or somewhere on the screen??:help:

Ludens
08-12-2006, 23:10
Where???? Is it on the Menu bar, or somewhere on the screen??:help:
How to take screenshots (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=66345).

The PrtScn button does not work for me. The pictures all turn black, if they turn up at all.

Foot
08-13-2006, 02:45
How to take screenshots (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=66345).

The PrtScn button does not work for me. The pictures all turn black, if they turn up at all.

Make sure anti-aliasing is off. That really screws pictures up.

EDIT: Also I think having the line -ne in the shortcut can also screw up pictures.

Foot

Fondor_Yards
08-13-2006, 04:56
Can't Gaul make any stonger guys than Gagastrae (sp)? And if I build a gov't type 4 in a main Carthage city will I be able to make some decent troops instead of only javerlins (sp)??????

Erm.... Gaestae are argueable the best sword infantry in the game. And not in a carthagian city, unless it one of the 2 in spain. Also type 1s and 2s normaly give better units. As for carthago itself, no those will be the best you can get. The celts don't have many options for recruitment in africa. *Very different culures, distance from homelands, little contact between them the natives there before*

NeoSpartan
08-13-2006, 10:29
Erm.... Gaestae are argueable the best sword infantry in the game. And not in a carthagian city, unless it one of the 2 in spain. Also type 1s and 2s normaly give better units. As for carthago itself, no those will be the best you can get. The celts don't have many options for recruitment in africa. *Very different culures, distance from homelands, little contact between them the natives there before*

My bad my bad, I didn't mean Gaestae. I mean any other infantry unit made after Bataroas/Botroas once u build the barracks that costs 20K. (darn it forgot how its called, probably MIC5???

Moros
08-13-2006, 13:56
My bad my bad, I didn't mean Gaestae. I mean any other infantry unit made after Bataroas/Botroas once u build the barracks that costs 20K. (darn it forgot how its called, probably MIC5???
Wich gaul faction are you playing? The gaesatae are verry good. THe neitos (after reform), the soldurii (reform?), carnute cingetos (aedui), Arjos (Avrerni) all are verry good infantry. You can also recruit quite good troop in Viennos (Mori gaesum (spelling?)) or verry good medium infantry in the two Belgae settlements (Blegae Milnaht).

NeoSpartan
08-13-2006, 17:57
I play the Aedui.

.....(after reform).....
But, wait there is a reform??? What year.

Ok update on Carthage. I am a about to take the 2nd city on its mainland. Yet for some reason it is not pumping out units from all its settlements. Instead it is sending a reinforcing army all the way from the Sahara (sp). Oh and the mainland settlements are a LOT easier to rule (after exterminating the population) than the settlement on Siscily (sp) and Rome.

Avicenna
08-14-2006, 04:42
There's an Aedui reform, but not a Carthaginian one. The Aedui one is same year as the Romans' first reform. (Polybian)

Tyfus
08-14-2006, 19:39
go to google
look up howie's quick camera
download the tool that lets you take screen shots
then before you play open the howies program and just let it sit open on your desktop, then play EB and whenever you want to take a picture of what's going on just press F12 and you should hear a camera noise so you know the picture was taken.

Fondor_Yards
08-14-2006, 22:44

Oh yea those aren't very good. Mori gaesum aren't very good in my experience either, once your enemy starts pumping out their all super unit armies. Good for early on, but basicly only good for garrison fodder later.

Mujalumbo
08-15-2006, 08:16
Do you mean as the Aedui or Karthadistim?

After the Bataroas/Botroas, there's Neitos. Aedui get them post-reform; Pontos, Arche Seleukia, and the Ptolemaioi get a similar unit, depending on the MIC/region (Kuathoroi and Galatian Agemata). Not sure if Karthadistim can recruit Neitos. As the Aedui, you get Soldurii and Carnute Cingetos. Carnutes you can recruit in Cenabaum, haven't figured out where Soldurii come from, though, I've usually gotten them from my southern provinces.

The Mori Gaesum need experience and weapons/armour upgrades. After that, I find them pretty decent. Makes me wonder what they're going to do with them in .8? (Hoplitai, too, for that matter. Do they all get shieldwall?)

CountArach
08-15-2006, 09:32
The greatest thing that is happening in my KH game at the moment is that the Carthaginians and Romans are fighting over Southern Italy. Carthage took over Sicily, then had about 4 stacks there, and just rushed the south, while the Romans had 90% of their forces to the north. They took control of Rhegiom and Taras, however Taras Rebelled, and went to the Epirotes. The Epirotes now have a stack there.

At the moment the war is slowing down with only a couple of Carthaginian stacks remaining and a Roman half-stack in Southern Italy, trying to hold things together.

Avicenna
08-16-2006, 02:49
They're bad? Noooo... I've just built 3 units in Ankyra. I'm KH, by the way. I thought a maniple-like unit would come in handy for flanking.

The Spartan (Returns)
08-16-2006, 03:05
It's because historically some Gauls migrated with Brennus (not the one who sacked Rome) and settled in Galatia, in modern day central Turkey. That's why Ankyra isn't a Hellenic city, and the Hellenes can only recruit Celts from there. The mercenaries in that area are predominantly Gallic as well. Ankyra can rebel to the Gauls.

I suppose then that the Carthaginians were supposed to have gotten Phoenica from a rebellion, am I correct? If that is what happened, Kudos to the Ptolemaics/Selucids for retaking Phoenica before I noticed.wow........

NeoSpartan
08-18-2006, 04:13
THX FELLAS!!!! I fanaly got a pic :2thumbsup:

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g75/Neospartan/EB1.jpg

I just took the 2nd Main Land Karthadistim (sp) city, but I need to send in reinforcements. Karthadim's Armies are starting to build up (though still not even a 1/2 full stack) nearby. The bad news is that those FEW guys are all TOP NOTCH, but the good news is that its armies still have no Cavlary (other than the general), at least for now.

Also, Karthadist (sp) Navy is freaking blocking my ports and its ships are Very Strong. I still haven't been able to send reinforcements to the Invading full stack army, its been about 7 turns now. That army is now about 1/3 of its strenght, being supplemented by Numidian Cavalry (boy they carry a LOT of Javerlins) and finaly one of the Captians turned into a General. (now i can get some Mercenaries)

Oh and its only 230BC and I got about 26years before the refoms hit. :no:

Mujalumbo
08-18-2006, 04:53
Also, Karthadist (sp) Navy is freaking blocking my ports and its ships are Very Strong

So, sink 'em! This isn't vanilla, where the best ships you get are "warboats." The Aedui get some pretty decent ships from the higher-tier naval bases. Build up your fleet and show them Phoenician sailor-wannabes how it's done!

orwell
08-18-2006, 15:33
Nice empire, it should only be 21 years till the reforms hit unless you made a mistake along the way, since they happen at the same time as the roman reform.

Fondor_Yards
08-19-2006, 03:55
So, sink 'em! This isn't vanilla, where the best ships you get are "warboats." The Aedui get some pretty decent ships from the higher-tier naval bases. Build up your fleet and show them Phoenician sailor-wannabes how it's done!

Haha no. Celtic ships will get destoryed by Greek/Roman/Carthagian navies every time, unless you have like 15 units to each 1 of theirs. And I not even kidding. In my Averni campain I basicly gave up on a navy except the 1 use to fight the Casse's, which is worse then even mine. I was horribly murdered in every battle, despite having 8-9 units and them normaly 1-3. I gave up on sea combat, if I ever transported by sea I would never end my turn with a navy outside a port unless I was sure there was no enemies around.

The Celts can only build 1 kinda decent ship, but only in 1 city next to Normandy *Pontones Fleet*. So you have to ship them all the way around Gaul and Iberia to fight. And since you take large losses in navy battles, you would have to send them all the way back to retrain.
Poeni Penterai *best carthage* have an attack of 34, defense of 19. Poeni Tetrerai *2nd best* has an attack of 30, defense 17. Pontones Fleet *best celtic* has an attack of 12, defense of 23. Pontomora Fleet *2nd best* has an attack of 8 and defense of 9. Most fleets fighting in the med sea will be made of Pontomoras. So yea, can you say ouch? :surrender:

NeoSpartan
08-20-2006, 00:01
.....Most fleets fighting in the med sea will be made of Pontomoras. So yea, can you say ouch? :surrender:

So true :no:

Trithemius
08-20-2006, 01:34
It much worse if you are Casse and a giant fleet of pirate vessels starts blockading all your ports! The pitifully weak Casse boats have immense trouble dealing with strong pirate ships.

Tuuvi
08-24-2006, 04:23
and finaly one of the Captians turned into a General. How does that happen?

Simmons
08-24-2006, 05:08
How does that happen?must mean a man of the hour

NeoSpartan
08-24-2006, 08:47
must mean a man of the hour

Exactly :bow:

Avicenna
08-24-2006, 08:56
Nooooo, not that Ponto-thingamabob. As the KH my fleets are composed of Triere and Lemboi. I've weakened the great pirate fleet quite a bit, as well.

Tanit
09-12-2006, 23:09
In my Carthage Campaign I conquered all of spain Italy and north africa as well as all the mediterranean islands and most of Greece. I CAN'T TRAIN ANYTHING IN CENTRAL ITALY!!!!!!!!! The most fascinating thing is that the gallic city in Turkey has revolted to Baktria and from there the Baktrians have conquered the nearby Seleukid city that starts with an m.

paullus
09-14-2006, 20:46
Ankyra revolted to the Baktrians???

You mean they bribed it, right?