PDA

View Full Version : Intel's new processors

edyzmedieval
05-23-2006, 15:15
Martyr told me about some new processors from Intel, which are due to appear very soon, and will be a double powerhouse. :balloon2:

Any info please?

I consider buying them from the moment they appear. My new computer must have the best and most powerful components. :book:

Lemur
05-23-2006, 15:16
See the article referenced here. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=65036)

LeftEyeNine
05-23-2006, 15:28
edyz, tell me you have hacked into the accounst of Raomanian governement's treasury.

On topic, if you'll get a new PC, your first preference should be dual core CPUs of course.

edyzmedieval
05-23-2006, 15:36
I'm trying, I'm trying.... :chain:

On topic, I hope they won't cost a fortune. It's gonna kill me if they do. :cry:

Lemur
05-23-2006, 15:44
Quick answer:

The new Intel Core Duo chips are derived from the Pentium M.
They're supposed to spank every chip known to man when running 32-bit software. (See this article (http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5692).)
Cost is still unkown.

Big article going over the spec. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_Duo)

edyzmedieval
05-23-2006, 15:49
Much more powerful that the Intel Pentium IV processors?

IYHO, which is the most powerful chip of both Intel and AMD? At the moment.
And the best from these 2.

Lemur
05-23-2006, 15:55
EzyMed, the order of power goes something like this:

Pentium IV < AMD64 < Intel Core Duo

As for which chip is best, at the moment the best chip available is the AMD FX60. But that will change very, very soon.

edyzmedieval
05-23-2006, 15:58
Any idea if the new generation of Intel chips will be available before July the 20th? :balloon2:

Lemur
05-23-2006, 16:24
Forgive me Edzy, I gave bad info. The super-duper Intel desktop processor is not the Intel Core Duo, but rather the Intel chip codenamed "conroe." Here's the ship date info (http://www.playfuls.com/news_02252_Intel_Speeds_Up_Launch_Dates_For_Woodcrest_Conroe_And_Merom_Processors.html) on it:

The company announced that it will begin shipment for the three new processors a couple of months earlier than the previous release dates: Woodcrest will come out in June (most likely on the 7th, the second day of Computex, or even earlier), Conroe in July and Merom in August.

drone
05-23-2006, 16:30
I'm still skeptical, especially after the last Intel "we pwn AMD" review that turned out to be fixed. It will be nice if Intel can compete again (everybody wins) though. Any word on power consumption, is Conroe going to double as an effective space heater like Intel's previous chips?

The setup for those benchmarks seems a little strange. Why would they run such different configs for these tests? 2Gbytes memory on the FX-62 system, 1 Gbyte on the others. 300 GByte HDD on the Intel setups, 160 on the AMDs. Different monitors and resolutions? From a scientific standpoint, not a very good job of reducing the variables here.

Edit-> talking about the Hexus review, got my threads mixed up here.

edyzmedieval
05-23-2006, 21:07
Forgive me Edzy, I gave bad info. The super-duper Intel desktop processor is not the Intel Core Duo, but rather the Intel chip codenamed "conroe." Here's the ship date info (http://www.playfuls.com/news_02252_Intel_Speeds_Up_Launch_Dates_For_Woodcrest_Conroe_And_Merom_Processors.html) on it:

The company announced that it will begin shipment for the three new processors a couple of months earlier than the previous release dates: Woodcrest will come out in June (most likely on the 7th, the second day of Computex, or even earlier), Conroe in July and Merom in August.

YEEESS!!! Near my birthday!!!! :2thumbsup:

~:cheers:

Intel PWNS AMD!

Lemur
05-23-2006, 21:22
Weeeellll, there are two things I would consider before jumping on the Conroe bandwagon.

(1) Conroe does not support 64 bit extensions. Not a big deal now, but in a couple of years it might be.

(2) Nobody has done a real-world test of AM2 versus Conroe. So let's reserve our geek lust until we know it's as spankin' as they say it is ...

Blodrast
05-23-2006, 22:19
why on earth would you want to pay a few hundred dollars extra for the newest thing, top-of-the-line thingamajig ? Waste of money, imho. Could wait a few months (half a year, or maybe a bit more), and pay considerably less.
Top-of-the-line products are always more expensive than they "should" be, simply because they are that: top-of-the-line.

Papewaio
05-24-2006, 00:37
Never be the earlier adopter of the first generation of a new chipset.

You will be paying through the nose for the vaunted position of being a glorified beta tester with little to no software that can make the best use of your chip.

Wait to see what the industry has to say about the chips and buy them when they have a bit more maturity... undocumented features that have been fixed.

edyzmedieval
05-24-2006, 12:30
So you guys suggest getting a chipset from this generation?
AMD64/Pentium IV?!

Blodrast
05-24-2006, 16:26
No, I suggest you not throwing away your money on top-of-the-line stuff :bow:
It's not worth it, you might not benefit from all its "features", and you might get the same visible performance from a cheaper thingie.

As a rule of thumb, it usually doesn't pay to be in the first wave that adopts any new tech.
Especially in computer-related stuff, where things get cheaper quite fast.

Lemur
05-24-2006, 20:12
Actually, if I were building a computer and I wanted it to be stable and great for gaming for, say, the next year, I would buy an AMD64 system. And not one of the new, fancy AM2 rigs, but rather the 939 pin version. Prices will be dropping, performance is only a couple of percentage points off the new platform, etc. And I certainly wouldn't wait for Conroe, which will need to get through its birthing pains before I would want to approach it.

So yeah. If you're building a rig soonish, I'd say go with AMD64. And for Pete's sake, don't buy the FX60. Grab an Opteron with one meg per core and overclock that sucker.

hoom
05-25-2006, 07:36
Conroe does not support 64 bit extensions.Oh yes it does.

edyzmedieval
05-25-2006, 11:01
Thanks for the suggestions. Looking now.... :book:

orangat
05-25-2006, 19:00
Weeeellll, there are two things I would consider before jumping on the Conroe bandwagon.

(1) Conroe does not support 64 bit extensions. Not a big deal now, but in a couple of years it might be.

(2) Nobody has done a real-world test of AM2 versus Conroe. So let's reserve our geek lust until we know it's as spankin' as they say it is ...

1. Wrong. Conroe has full 64-bit support.

2. The AM2 has already been benchmarked and an AM2 with ddr2-800 is only marginally faster than a socket 939 with pc3200, non FX/X2 AM2 will probably actually be a slight slower because they are only equipped with ddr2-667. AM2 is definitely not a generational upgrade in terms of performance. The sole purpose for AM2 is for a unified socket. The Conroe is alot faster than AM2.

Lemur
05-25-2006, 19:11
2. The AM2 has already been benchmarked and an AM2 with DDR2-800 is only marginally faster than a socket 939 with PC3200.
The benches from prototype Conroes show it to be significantly faster than AMD dual cores.
Link to your source, please. As of yesterday the only benchmarking between Conroe and AMD64 that I was aware of was from a site that was not able to create identical configurations. So, for the edification of all, linky please.

orangat
05-25-2006, 20:34
Link to your source, please. As of yesterday the only benchmarking between Conroe and AMD64 that I was aware of was from a site that was not able to create identical configurations. So, for the edification of all, linky please.

Obviously the configuration cannot be identical. The AMD64 uses ddr while the Conroe uses ddr2.
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=794&cid=1

Lemur
05-25-2006, 20:50

orangat
05-25-2006, 21:11
Orangat, for a guy who likes to make pronouncements about what is or is not true technically, you make a bad link. Please note that your html, "http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx", does not link to the story. Try again.

[edit]

Never mind. A little play with google, and I'm able to post the correct link. (http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=2&id=1845)

Lemur, what is your problem? You made an erroneous statement that the Conroe had no 64-bit support and I corrected it without any rancour.

If you get irritated so easily, verify your information before pressing the submit button.

Beirut
05-26-2006, 02:47
Gentlemen,

Peaceful and friendly please. :shakehands: