PDA

View Full Version : Which Civ are you going to play first?

Lorenzo_H
05-24-2006, 15:10
Which Civ looks like its gonna be your favorite the first time you load up M2: TW?

I'll list all of the ones that are known:book:. Don't just vote in the poll;
explain why!

England
France
Scotland
Holy Roman Empire
Denmark
Spain
Portugal
Milan
Venice
Papal States
Sicily
Poland
Russia
Hungary
Byzantium
The Turks
Egypt
The Moors
The Mongols
The Tumurids
The Aztecs

For me it's going to be Spain, because I love Spain and used to live there, and also because they were my favorite in AoE3.

The_Doctor
05-24-2006, 15:48
Venice.

I don't think the Aztecs and the Pope are playable.

Tempiic
05-24-2006, 15:58
Turks and online... very curious what CA did now with them.

ZombieFriedNuts
05-24-2006, 16:02
England, I always wanted to beat the French in medieval war.
and I think it will be easier to defend than anywhere else

kburkert
05-24-2006, 16:20
England or Egypt because i like them.

econ21
05-24-2006, 16:28
England - because they have a fairly simple, defensible strategic location (map corner, mainly on an island) but should have the reach to go elsewhere (e.g. the Holy Land). Also, they get the stereotypical medieval units (knights, MAA etc) but with one or two nice specials (longbowmen & billmen).

If it is anything like MTW, though, I expect I'll end up having more fun as France and HRE. Similar unit roster, but tougher strategic position - especially HRE.

Byzantium could be fun provided it is weaker and has more historical units than in MTW. If it is like WRE in BI, they will probably be my favorite faction: facing Crusaders, Mongols and then Ottomans; now that's what I call a challenge.

Orda Khan
05-24-2006, 16:33
Mongols because they have been my interest for so many years and also because I am hoping CA will finally do them some justice this time around

.......Orda

ivoignob
05-24-2006, 16:45
Turkey is one of my two homelands. I'll play the Turks the first time. Don't ask about the other one, it has too many neighbors, too large borders. I never played them in MTW also. It was confusing.

Maybe I will play another campaign, noone knows. Because you have to find out how the new system works anyway. So I am sure, my first campaign wont be finished:-)

Furious Mental
05-24-2006, 16:57
The Timurids. I very much hope that they are playable.

The_678
05-24-2006, 17:01
The Danes. They were alwys my fav ain MTW and will probably be my fav in MTW2. I just love those viking raids and unexpected naval invasions they can do. Plus with a powerful navy and a good garrison in Denmark itself they are very defendable. Oh yeah and vikings are my favourite infantry unit, both cheap versions and huscarles. I hope they are still as powerful as before or at least not too weak.

Peasant Phill
05-24-2006, 17:11
The Spanish
I started playing MTW as the Spanish I'll also start M2TW with them. Interesting position between Muslim factions and christian factions. So I'll have to fight against both battle styles.

phred
05-24-2006, 17:14
I voted "I'm hungry" because it's very nearly lunch time here.

I'll probably play France first so I can experience crusades, dealing with the pope, and all the other catholic-faction-specific actions.
Then I'll go for the Turks.

Mithradates
05-24-2006, 17:17
Come on the Byzantines!! They were always the best for me!

ShadesWolf
05-24-2006, 17:32
Well thats an easy one for me,

It will be England

King Ragnar
05-24-2006, 17:46
Most likley England because i am english, or try and restore roman imperial glory with Byzantium and use the awesome Varangarian Guard.

screwtype
05-24-2006, 18:00
I will probably play Poland. Not because I have any particular attachment to the place, but because I think of Poland as being an historical underdog caught between two great powers for most of its history and I like the idea of trying to turn history on its head. Also, I like to play the underdog. Also, Poland is a fairly tough faction to play. Also, because I played Poland in MTW and I'd like to compare the experiences.

My next choice after Poland would probably be Britain.

This is all assuming I actually decide to buy the game, of course...

Templar Knight
05-24-2006, 18:01
Scotland or England

Vladimir
05-24-2006, 18:33
I fell in love with the Italians in M:TW and Venice in XL so I'll try them first. I don't want a management mess like I'd have with the HRE and it will give me a chance to quickly take over Northern Italy. Spain will also be nice but once I have Iberia I'll probally loose interest.

Duke Malcolm
05-24-2006, 18:38
I shall step up to command the Glorious Mother Country, Vive l'Ecosse, Alba gu Brath, and Scotland Forever!

Ultras DVSC
05-24-2006, 19:24
Hungary, but it doesn't call for extra explanation... After that I'll try the Aztecs, it's a fun-faction, the third place is for Sicily. Otherwise, I'm hungry...

UltraWar
05-24-2006, 19:27
I will pick England...

btw why is Eygpt in the poll?

GAH!

Sir Robin
05-24-2006, 19:45
Definately Byzantium, love having to fight the muslims and crusaders for the holy land.

Ibn Munqidh
05-24-2006, 19:57
Either England, or Egypt. England, because I would love to beat the French up, as the english did. As for Egypt, to reunite the muslims under one caliph, and stain the sands red with crusader blood.

Leet Eriksson
05-24-2006, 20:09
I'll be danes first time, then probably timurids. Becuase of the units primarily.

Monk
05-24-2006, 20:26
Scots for me.. either them or the English.

:book:

Divine Wind
05-24-2006, 20:29
Tough choice betweem the Timurids and the Mongols.

The faction choices are far more enjoyable and varied in Medieval rather than Rome, so im actually looking forward to giving most of the factions a whirl.

Basileus
05-24-2006, 20:43
Like with MTW it will be Byzantium & France and when i get bored with those i´ll play all the others heh

Lorenzo_H
05-24-2006, 20:52
The Spanish
I started playing MTW as the Spanish I'll also start M2TW with them. Interesting position between Muslim factions and christian factions. So I'll have to fight against both battle styles.
Why didn't you vote for them?

Boohugh
05-24-2006, 22:01
England. Longbowmen and Billmen, nuff said :2thumbsup:

Hmm, just thinking of it makes me want to start a new MTW campaign...

The Spartan (Returns)
05-24-2006, 22:25
i pick holy roman empire, but id also like to play Scotland. (if they are boring i wouldn't know MTW campagn crashes and you CANT do anything about it)

magnum
05-24-2006, 22:35
Turks. In both MTW and RTW I've enjoyed the challange and fighting style of horse based cultures the most. So while I'll most likely play all of them, and might even find a different faction that I ultimately enjoy more, I'll definately play the Turks first.

Martok
05-24-2006, 23:42
Truly, I am a gibbering, useless idiot. ~;p

Right now I have a slight preference for the Scots. They should have a fairly interesting unit roster--and not I'm not just referring to the Highland Clansmen (although they are a lot of fun). They're also in a tenuous strategic position, given that they're right next to a faction that is more powerful than they are, *and* isn't particuarly friendly towards them. I also find the idea of the Scots being able to crusade very appealing!

I'm very torn, though. I also really want to try out the Byzantines, Danes, English, Egyptians, French, Spanish, and Venetians. Most of them have interesting starting positions, along with a variety of uniqute units (with the possible exception of the French and Venetians). The French should be a great challenge, as they're surrounded by the English, HRE, and Spanish. With the Venetians, I look forward to establishing a massive trading empire and dominating the Mediterranean with my navy. ~D

Ibn Munqidh
05-25-2006, 00:01
Truely, the faction choices on Rome were horrible (rome itself was boring). These factions and this time period is much more interesting and challenging, I must say I would play them all, I would start with Egypt, then England, then the Turks, then, HRE, then, then, then....

Dead Knight of the Living
05-25-2006, 15:17
I'll be picking the Moors and we'll revisit Tours. Only this time "The Hammer" won't stop us. And after that we'll be moving on to Britain to do Allah's will in the land of tea and kippurs.

Tiberius maximus
05-25-2006, 15:22
i think playing the scots would be extremely fun and a challenge, but i love launching crusades too much:2thumbsup: so ill probly choose the HRE

any one else run into this problem?

Byzantine Emperor
05-25-2006, 16:15
Byzantines!

I am English but I love Byzantines too much to choose England. England will be second faction I play as.

Dead Knight of the Living
05-25-2006, 16:16
Truely, the faction choices on Rome were horrible (rome itself was boring). These factions and this time period is much more interesting and challenging, I must say I would play them all, I would start with Egypt, then England, then the Turks, then, HRE, then, then, then....

I pretty much agree. I thought Rome was the greatest thing since sliced bread when it first came out. I've played the RTR mod as well. It's just too boring for me now.

They had way more units than MTW, but that is for the entire game over all. In MTW I think each faction had better choices even though the overall game didn't have as many different units as RTW.

In fact, I'm finishing what will probably be my last RTW campaign with the Germanians. I think I have about 8 more territories to capture (including Rome) and then I'm done.

After that, I'm going to knock the dust off my MTW 1 and play that again. I can't wait for MTW2 to come out.

Dutch_guy
05-25-2006, 16:24
I'd probably play as the English first, because they were also the first faction I played with in Medieval.

Their starting position is interesting and being able to crusade and battle the French is just great.

Other factions that interest me would include the HRE, Venetians, the Byzantines and the Turks.

In the end, I'll probably end up playing them all ....

:balloon2:

Prince Cobra
05-25-2006, 16:31
As always Byzantium.

Rodion Romanovich
05-25-2006, 17:30
France or England first - tough choice really - then Venice, Scotland, Timurids or Mamluks (Egypt or whatever they'll call it in the game).

IrishArmenian
05-25-2006, 20:26
I chose Russia. To be honest, it is mostly becuase I am biased an as an Armenian, I got to chose between the Russians and the Byzantines to fight for my homeland. I picked Russia over the Byzantines becuase I love the variety that Russia should (and will, those Creative Assembly poeple are quite good at showing diversity) have. I am an incredibly huge horse archer fan, because even the mightiest warrior will fall when an arrow goes through his vitals. I will then play, probably keep both Byzantine and Scotland going at the same time. Then try the Sicilians and the rest is undecided.

DukeofSerbia
05-26-2006, 17:51
Sicily because I enjoy to build massive fleet to annoy everybody on the seas. :laugh4: Plus isolation of the island.

Servius
05-26-2006, 17:55
England was the best the first time around. Big surprise, since MTW was made by brits. Since I don't think CA will allow Australia to join Europe, let's hope England's dominance continues.

NodachiSam
05-27-2006, 03:39
Roman empire baby!

lar
05-27-2006, 08:55
my very first campaign in MTW i lost, so im expecting to lose my first MTW2 too, so ill probably play french first out

Zatoichi
05-27-2006, 10:54
Tough choice - so many shiny goodies, so little time!

I'll probably start with the English, then move on to the Byz for a different challenge. Pretty much what I did all those years ago when starting out with MTW...

After those two, I'll probably stick a pin in the map and chose that way.

Furious Mental
05-27-2006, 12:22
I don't see Molvania listed as one of the options. Wtf?

Manstein
05-27-2006, 12:39
I will simply mod the game files to include the aztecs. Aztecs should be interesting, and I can have reverse colonization and invade Europe...

Or that might lead to game errors, who knows.

Mooks
05-27-2006, 15:25
I will simply mod the game files to include the aztecs. Aztecs should be interesting, and I can have reverse colonization and invade Europe...

Lol, thats a reallllly long canoe ride :dizzy2:

edyzmedieval
05-27-2006, 16:18
Byzantines first and first!!! ~:cheers:
Then HRE might be an option.... :book:

AwesomeArcher
05-27-2006, 16:48
ill check out the polish, they are kind of a forgotten faction that was pretty decent in the first medieval total war. After that ill probably try the English because they probabaly have longbowmen, which as my name implies, i like.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
05-27-2006, 17:15
Holy Roman Empire
Scotland
Hungary

jadast
05-27-2006, 23:25
Spain - Love those Jinettes.

Lorenzo_H
05-28-2006, 08:46
Spain - Love those Jinettes.
Jinetes? What are they? In AoEIII Jinetes were a Portuguese Royal Guard (unique) unit!

Also, why is Byzantium so popular? Someone explain the appeal to me! Is it so some tired crusaders who are getting beaten up by the Arabs can come and sack you?

Peasant Phill
05-28-2006, 08:53
Jinetes? What are they? In AoEIII Jinetes were a Portuguese Royal Guard (unique) unit!

Apparently you haven't played MTW yet. Jinettes were the Spanish equivalent of horse archers, only with javelins instead of bow and arrow. They were fast, had 4 armour piercing missiles that they threw at relative close range and had great fighting stats for their cost. You loved them when playing Spain, you absolutely cursed them when you fought against Spain.

cutepuppy
05-28-2006, 09:45
Also, why is Byzantium so popular? Someone explain the appeal to me! Is it so some tired crusaders who are getting beaten up by the Arabs can come and sack you?

Why? Because they had a unique unit roster. They had almost no units in common with other factions, and their units were quite powerfull (varangian guards, kataphraktoi, byzantine cavalry,...). And on top of that, they have very good emperors and heirs. It isn't uncommon to see a high valor byzantine emperor with, let's say, 6 command stars, 8 influence, 6 acumen and 5 dread. (the feared jedi generals)

Furious Mental
05-28-2006, 10:44
Jinetes were awesome, even if MTW didn't have a proper horse skirmishing mechanism. I used them even after I had arbalests, halberdiers and lancers.

Mithradates
05-28-2006, 11:02
I think the Byzantines were popular because everyone wanted to rebuild the Roman empire, I always found that after conquering the territory that would make up the modern country i had nothing to do, it never seemed right marching the english into north africa.

Zenicetus
05-28-2006, 18:29
I never played MTW, so I'll probably start with England because I assume it's one of the easier factions for learning the game. Then maybe Venetians, for the sea empire. Then a Muslim faction for a reverse crusade.

Although... it might be hilarious fun to play Scotland, and take on the Aztecs at the endgame! :laugh4:

De' Medici
05-28-2006, 20:48
I'm going to start with Milan, hoping to bring back the Italian Wars ~:) I'm glad that the number of Italian factions is increased.

Kagemusha
05-28-2006, 20:57
Same as in MTW.HRE.I like to have more then one enemies and to be in the center of the map.

Zalmoxis
05-29-2006, 09:33
Byzantium, it's the closest thing to playing any Romanian state from that period.

naut
05-29-2006, 12:42
So many options, it made my eyes bleed ...

But seriously the Scots, because they are the Scots

screwtype
05-29-2006, 13:34
I never played MTW, so I'll probably start with England because I assume it's one of the easier factions for learning the game.

Speaking of which, does anyone think it's worthwhile getting a copy of Viking Invasions to go with MTW? Not that I'm interested in the VI campaign itself, but I heard that VI has some good improvements over the vanilla game.

Dutch_guy
05-29-2006, 13:44
Speaking of which, does anyone think it's worthwhile getting a copy of Viking Invasions to go with MTW? Not that I'm interested in the VI campaign itself, but I heard that VI has some good improvements over the vanilla game.

You should, if only for the improvements and for the MP.

:balloon2:

ivoignob
05-29-2006, 13:47

Yes, get the copy! There are improvements like the prebattle-scout window etc. and a lot of new units for VI and MTW.

econ21
05-29-2006, 15:11

Absolutely - since you can't get a patch without VI, it's probably the "must-have" of the three TW expansions. I can't remember all the details - but saving between battles was godsend. Make sure you patch subsequently it though, or your kings will all die at 56.

BTW, the VI campaign itself is rather neat. Like you, I was not at all interested in it in advance, but it is much tougher at a strategic level than MTW (in a way, it's a throughback to STW - a real bar room brawl of a campaign). I had a lot of fun in PBMs as Wales and Saxons. Northumbria was fun in solo play (you're between a rock and a hard place).