PDA

View Full Version : New screen!

Beirut
06-10-2006, 01:08
After a nasty day's work, I came home and fell fast asleep. I wake up an hour later and see my woman standing there holding a package. In the box is this:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/vx922_us_eng_lrg.jpg

A Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD. Fastest gaming LCD on the market. ~D

I tried to buy one a few weeks ago when they were on sale but they were out of stock. She went back today and got one. :2thumbsup:

The screen on this 19" looks much bigger than the screen on my 19" CRT. Setup and installation took about one minute. The native res is 1280x1024 which is fine for my rig. The screen is very bright out of the box but adjusts easilly (the adjustment buttons and menu are easy to figure out). There is a tilt adjustment but no height adjustment. Doesn't bother me at all. Also, there is a ton of extra room on my desk now. This screen is about 1/10th as thick as my CRT.

I loaded up FS2004 with one of my payware add-on planes and the picture was very crisp and looked great. Tried some fast moving action in IL2-Pacific Fighters and there wasn't a hint of ghosting or any other graphic glitches. It simply looks... great. Here's a cheesy shot of my flight rig.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/LOGS3001.jpg

(The Saitek flightstick on the left is part of my cheap yet effective HOTAS. Cost $45 and works perfectly as a throttle with lots of buttons for multiple view controls as well as flaps and landing gear.)

I read reviews that the VX922 is less than perfect with video playback. I'll check that out later, but so far, this is a helluva nice screen. (Especially when someone else pays for it.)

Mikeus Caesar
06-10-2006, 01:20
Very nice Beirut! Obviously not as nice as my dazzling widescreen, but still very nice.

Beirut
06-10-2006, 01:26
And what dazzling widescreen might that be Mr. Wurry?

Mikeus Caesar
06-10-2006, 01:46
And what dazzling widescreen might that be Mr. Wurry?

This dazzling 19" 1440x900 widescreen, Mr Beirut.

http://xs201.xs.to/xs201/06236/213038.jpg.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs201&d=06236&f=213038.jpg)

Pwnt!

Beirut
06-10-2006, 02:10
Pwnt!

Pwnt?

Who... me?

I don't see any HOTAS flight gear on your desk Mr. Wurry. :inquisitive:

Mikeus Caesar
06-10-2006, 02:24
It's an old picture. If it was daylight, i'd take a new picture showing something that lies on my desk which is infinitely better than your stick-a-ma-jig.

A plasma ball!

Beirut
06-10-2006, 11:02
A plasma ball!

That must hurt. ~:eek:

I dunno there CurryDude, I'm well on my way to my dream rig. You're going to have a hard time making me feel pwnt.

Got my AMD64-3000/1024RAM/7800 256 meg card, my Saitek Gamers keyboard, a Logitech MX518 gaming mouse, a (sadly discontinued) MS FFB2 flightsick & Saitek Evo HOTAS setup, my new fancy-dancy Viewsonic screen, and a HD full of flight sims.

Unless you pop up a pic of 50" plasma screen sitting in your house showing Floyd videos, you'll have to pwn someone else. ~;p

x-dANGEr
06-10-2006, 13:32
After a nasty day's work, I came home and fell fast asleep. I wake up an hour later and see my woman standing there holding a package. In the box is this:

I tried to buy one a few weeks ago when they were on sale but they were out of stock. She went back today and got one. :2thumbsup:

The screen on this 19" looks much bigger than the screen on my 19" CRT. Setup and installation took about one minute. The native res is 1280x1024 which is fine for my rig. The screen is very bright out of the box but adjusts easilly (the adjustment buttons and menu are easy to figure out). There is a tilt adjustment but no height adjustment. Doesn't bother me at all. Also, there is a ton of extra room on my desk now. This screen is about 1/10th as thick as my CRT.

I loaded up FS2004 with one of my payware add-on planes and the picture was very crisp and looked great. Tried some fast moving action in IL2-Pacific Fighters and there wasn't a hint of ghosting or any other graphic glitches. It simply looks... great. Here's a cheesy shot of my flight rig.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/horsesass/LOGS3001.jpg

(The Saitek flightstick on the left is part of my cheap yet effective HOTAS. Cost $45 and works perfectly as a throttle with lots of buttons for multiple view controls as well as flaps and landing gear.)

I read reviews that the VX922 is less than perfect with video playback. I'll check that out later, but so far, this is a helluva nice screen. (Especially when someone else pays for it.)
Does the monitor matter or effect the graphics of games ?! :inquisitive:

doc_bean
06-10-2006, 13:59
Unless you pop up a pic of 50" plasma screen sitting in your house showing Floyd videos, you'll have to pwn someone else. ~;p

Damn, I need a digital camera....

Beirut
06-10-2006, 14:13
Does the monitor matter or effect the graphics of games ?! :inquisitive:

To the same degree that a TV will "affect" what you watch. The better the quality of the TV or screen, the nicer the image. Screen resolution also matters. The holy trinity is a game that has advanced graphics, a video card that lets you use them, and a screen that lets you see them.

Also, with an LCD, response time is an issue. If the screen has a slow response time you can get ghosting with shows as a fast moving image leaving a trail behind it as the screen tries to catch up to what it's showing. The VX922 I just got has a very fast response time and it a good game screen. So far I have yet to see any ghosting in one of my flight sims, even when things are moving quickly.

Reenk Roink
06-10-2006, 15:05
I wake up an hour later and see my woman standing there holding a package. In the box is this:

Some woman Beirut; you must be a happy guy. Enjoy! :2thumbsup:

Lemur
06-10-2006, 17:21
Beirut, my only trepidation with gaming on an LCD is the fixed resolution. 1280x1024 isn't supported in all games, and I worry about how other resolutions will play.

Please let us know how this works out on your new rig. Obviously the flight sims will scale to whatever, but clue us in on how other resolutions look/play ...

Mithrandir
06-10-2006, 17:45
Well you still Pwn! me beirut..~:pat:

...err only when it comes to computer hardware ofcourse :laugh4:

got a 17" HP vs 17 LCD screen, but I'm very much content as this replaced a 19" huge box of my old monitor ~D)

x-dANGEr
06-10-2006, 18:39
To the same degree that a TV will "affect" what you watch. The better the quality of the TV or screen, the nicer the image. Screen resolution also matters. The holy trinity is a game that has advanced graphics, a video card that lets you use them, and a screen that lets you see them.

Also, with an LCD, response time is an issue. If the screen has a slow response time you can get ghosting with shows as a fast moving image leaving a trail behind it as the screen tries to catch up to what it's showing. The VX922 I just got has a very fast response time and it a good game screen. So far I have yet to see any ghosting in one of my flight sims, even when things are moving quickly.
Thanks for the correction (affect) and the clarification. That is a note to take about buying a LCD. Is it the same with laptops?

Beirut
06-10-2006, 20:00
Beirut, my only trepidation with gaming on an LCD is the fixed resolution. 1280x1024 isn't supported in all games, and I worry about how other resolutions will play.

Please let us know how this works out on your new rig. Obviously the flight sims will scale to whatever, but clue us in on how other resolutions look/play ...

FS2004 supports every res known to man or beast. IL2-Pacific Fighters doesn't, so I had to tweak the con.ini file. Took about ten seconds. The screen will handle smaller res down to 800x600, but, and I didn't know this, you can physically damage the screen by forcing to go higher than it's native res of 1280x1024. Says so in the manual. Bummer, was looking forward to some 1600x1200 action. Oh well. Have yet to try out Lock On and Falcon4:AA. After that, it's into the BKB Supermod for M:TW for a battle test.

1024x768 works fine, but the screen brings up its own pop up that says "Hey bonehead! I look better at 1280x1024, wanna change now?" You can disable the pop up with a click.

No question a fixed/native res can be a drag, but at least 1280x1024 is a decent compromise. Also, there is no question this is a clearer and crisper screen than my Hansol 19". The dials and gauges in my flightsims are much easier to read now. Great improvement.

hoom
06-10-2006, 23:29
http://img139.imagevenue.com/loc1/th_78265_P6110422.JPG (http://img139.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc1&image=78265_P6110422.JPG)
24 inches of 1920*1200 goodness
+ chocolate
+ a heater under the desk (its winter in my part of the world)
No waking up to girlfriend with this in her arms for me though :(

Now I just need a PC that can actually run games playably at that res...

x-dANGEr
06-11-2006, 11:15
Posts appear too small with such a monitor ~:) , don't they?

Beirut
06-11-2006, 12:15
Well you still Pwn! me beirut..~:pat:

...err only when it comes to computer hardware ofcourse :laugh4:

I stand Pwned. :embarassed:

(You moderator of all things unholy you.)

edyzmedieval
06-12-2006, 09:35
Can't wait to PWN Beirut with my new rig. ~D
I want to end the darned exams faster, so I can PWN Daddy. :balloon2:

LeftEyeNine
06-12-2006, 22:36
Wow, I think you are building up a cockpit at home, Beirut. Nice gift :2thumbsup:

Lemur
06-13-2006, 16:34
I'm still waffling. CRT lets me flip into any resolution I like, which can be super-duper handy with older games. I dunno. 1280x1024 is the sweet spot right now in LCDs, but I'm a-feared, I'm a-feared ...

hoom
06-14-2006, 22:47
Well my LCD handles most other resolutions ok so far.

Papewaio
06-15-2006, 04:07
I'm still waffling. CRT lets me flip into any resolution I like, which can be super-duper handy with older games. I dunno. 1280x1024 is the sweet spot right now in LCDs, but I'm a-feared, I'm a-feared ...

You do realise you can keep the CRT and have dual monitor just in case for the old games...