PDA

View Full Version : Indians to the Alexander campaign

The Blind King of Bohemia
06-21-2006, 21:39
Well I was messing around and I achieved this, though it still needs a lot of work (Buildings, Egyptian portraits). Just thought people might want confirmation of this. I'll probably change the culture to eastern

https://img525.imageshack.us/img525/44/india0pu.jpg

Barbarossa82
06-21-2006, 22:15
Good work! If those campaign map figures were already in the game, then that strongly implies that India was intended to be present on the campaign map at some stage, and then dropped. I wonder why?

Silver Rusher
06-21-2006, 22:17
Hang on, weren't the Indians already included in the game?

06-21-2006, 22:19
Hang on, weren't the Indians already included in the game?

In custom battle and at Hydaspes but apart from that mate they didn't make the campaign

Silver Rusher
06-21-2006, 22:22
In custom battle and at Hydaspes but apart from that mate they didn't make the campaign
Well in that case, brilliant work BKB!

Mooks
06-22-2006, 03:52
Think they rushed the game? I cant think of a reason why they would but its possible.

Husar
06-22-2006, 11:06
Why is the newest, most exotic and ahem, coolest faction not on the standard campaign map??? When buying Alexander I was looking forward to playing an Indian campaign, luckily I didn´t buy it yet.:furious3:

Well, if you could make a nice, small mod just to make them playable, I will reconsider buying it.:2thumbsup:
But I fear it means no Indian-style buildings, right?

Mr Frost
06-22-2006, 11:25
...But I fear it means no Indian-style buildings, right?
What , like a 7-11 or a Quickiemart ?

Mooks
06-23-2006, 08:18
What , like a 7-11 or a Quickiemart ?

BWAHAHAH. You have to whatch the simpsons to understand that.

Mount Suribachi
06-23-2006, 08:41
Isn't Apu from Sri Lanka?

Bartix
06-23-2006, 09:54
Very complicated matter:

He and his family are devotees of the Hindu gods Shiva, Ganesha, and Vishnu. [] In addition to being Brahmins, Apu and Manjula appear to be Tamil because of their first names and especially dark complexions; however, Apu has also been shown to be Bengali, which would be consistent with the title of Apu's sketch in the episode "22 Short Films About Springfield", "The Jolly Bengali". However, in one episode, Manjula speaks Hindi (interpreted as "baby talk" by Marge), to Maggie, as opposed to Tamil or Bengali, further complicating the matter. Still, Apu's parents in the episodes "Much Apu About Nothing" and "The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons" very strongly appear to be Tamil. The episode "Kiss Kiss Bang Bangalore" features a relative of Apu, Kavi, who lives in Bangalore, which is part of Karnataka, South India; this would suggest that they are actually Kannadigas. [] He graduated first in his class of seven million at 'Caltech'—the Calcutta Institute of Technology

Drusus Magnus
06-23-2006, 09:55

No, he's the stereotypical South Asian convenient store owner. Some episodes indicate that he's from Nepal while others clearly state him to be Indian. It could be that some episodes say he's from Sri Lanka. It's like Ned Flanders' age, which is sometimes 60, sometimes 40.

Avicenna
06-23-2006, 21:00
No, he's the stereotypical South Asian convenient store owner. Some episodes indicate that he's from Nepal while others clearly state him to be Indian. It could be that some episodes say he's from Sri Lanka. It's like Ned Flanders' age, which is sometimes 60, sometimes 40.

The whole fluctuating age things makes him sound like a woman covering her age to me.

:juggle2:

snevets
06-23-2006, 22:11
Not that this discussion has anything to do with this topic but you can't tell any kind of race based on techy relatives in bangalore, its the tech center of India, so its completely logical for him to live there. As for speaking Hindi, Hindi is supposed to be the number one language, and although many tamils don't speak Hindi everyone in Bangalore has to in order to communicate.

Mooks
06-24-2006, 02:23
India has over 100 languages :skull:

edyzmedieval
06-24-2006, 16:09
And all of them sound weird. :skull:

BUt back to topic, good job BKB. :thumbsup:

Slug For A Butt
06-25-2006, 00:48
BWAHAHAH. You have to whatch the simpsons to understand that.

Trust me, if you live in England you don't have to watch the Simpsons to get that. It's the bete noir we aren't allowed to speak of.:furious3:

Mooks
06-26-2006, 02:54
I want to go to England one of these years. I remember the simpsons trip to england.

*arrives at a hotel and goes to the front desk*

"Something something something...We saved your asses during vietnam, I demand a free room!"

Kralizec
06-26-2006, 10:18

beta (plural: betas)
1. The second letter in the Greek alphabet; β.
2. The state of a game at the time of release by Creative Assembly.

econ21
06-26-2006, 10:31

That's a bit harsh. CA games are remarkably stable and polished, IMO. (Try playing some betas of mods and see what a real beta is - CTDs and all.) The fact that modders can add substantive content to TW games is a major positive feature of the game series, not a negative.

Kralizec
06-26-2006, 11:12
That's true, and to give CA credit, most of the bugs that players describe as "game crippling" in various versions of RTW didn't bother me that much actually, and overall I enjoyed playing RTW and its excellent mods.

However there's a difference between making a game moddable so that modders can make adjustments to suit personal preferences, and rushing out a game through the publisher so that it's up to modders to add features that SHOULD have been part of the original game.

I can't think of a single good reason not to put the Indians in the campaign. Can you? Because I'd be glad to hear it.
Hence my caricature of the game as a paid beta, rushed out so that it's up to modders to make the game as it should have been.

econ21
06-26-2006, 12:22
I can't think of a single good reason not to put the Indians in the campaign. Can you?

No, I can't and it is a big shame. It would have been a really good denouement to the campaign.

Roy1991
06-26-2006, 13:43

1. The second letter in the Greek alphabet; β.

You should be happy EA didn't make RTW.

06-27-2006, 16:26
I have now released this mod for those interested:

BKB Alexander Mini Mod Thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1181041#post1181041)

player1
06-28-2006, 23:50
I think it was an AI issue.
They were unable to stop Persians from conquering them quickly.

symball
07-06-2006, 11:27
they should have given them more elephants :)

actually I think this is always going to be a problem until we get a worldwide map- there is always going to be a culture or empire that is under represented by the arbitary limits of the map you use- parthia anyone?