PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Script?

Woad Warrior
07-13-2006, 07:25
I heard about having to load scripts before playing campaigns. How exactly do I do this? I tried loading a campaign without loading a script but it froze when loading. I'm using v0.74 BTW.

orwell
07-13-2006, 10:04
Click on a city and the advisor will pop up. Click the bottom option and it should tell you script activated. If he doesn't pop up after clicking on it, then try clicking on the faction symbol. You only have to click it once per loading of your game.

Woad Warrior
07-13-2006, 10:33
Sorry, my mistake, the campaigns are just really slow to load.

In fact, EB works incredibly slowly on my computer. I could run RTW vanilla fairly well on it, but with EB it took 20 minutes to end turn! I think I just need to improve my computer. Oh well...

Foot
07-13-2006, 11:02
The problem with a slow campaign turn is usually a sub-par graphics card, if you can look into upgrading that.

Foot

Woad Warrior
07-13-2006, 12:42
Now that I take a look at this computer, I think you may be right:

120 GB Hard Drive (not bad)
256 MB DDR (that is awful)
And some Intel Graphics Card

Just when I thought I could play EB~:mecry:

Foot
07-13-2006, 18:56
The RAM won't make much difference, but it is quite cheap at the moment. I recently brought a 6600 for £120 and that works wonders.

Foot

Oldgamer
07-13-2006, 19:32
Now that I take a look at this computer, I think you may be right:

120 GB Hard Drive (not bad)
256 MB DDR (that is awful)
And some Intel Graphics Card

Just when I thought I could play EB~:mecry:

My computer has 393 mb of RAM, and an nVidea MX400 card with 128 mb of video ram. When I start a campaign, I do not check the "Follow AI Movement" box. Each turn takes no more than 90 seconds, usually about 45 seconds.

Every computer with the basic requirements for RTW can handle EB, if one uses common sense in the preferences. If I were to go to maximum settings on all video options, I'm sure that my computer would always be on the verge of locking. But it handles the options I've given it perfectly well, down to smooth movement of each man on the battle map.

Although I'm going to 1 gig of RAM, I'm not in a mood to shell out $500 for a state-of-the-art video card, and the extra fans I'll need for cooling it down.

By the way, not checking the "Follow AI Movement" box allows for something very realistic, for ancient warfare ... the sudden arrival of a huge army on your territory. I like it!

Woad Warrior
07-13-2006, 19:35
Surely upgrading the RAM would make the game run a lot faster? Right now, I've got 256 MB RAM, and I'm hoping to add on an additional 1 GB. Won't that make a difference?

I had all graphics settings to lowest settings. Does following AI movement make that big a difference. It was incredibly slow at the end turn even for the factions I couldn't see (so I didn't see their character movement anyway)

Foot
07-13-2006, 20:07
Before I got my graphics card updated I was running an EB turn at 5-6mins each! I too thought it was RAM and so I upgraded mine from 512kb to 1024kb. I was horrified to find that my turns still took about 5mins each! The Graphics card update caused my turn time to take a mere 30-60secs. The purchase was well worth it.

Foot

Oldgamer
07-13-2006, 21:37
Surely upgrading the RAM would make the game run a lot faster? Right now, I've got 256 MB RAM, and I'm hoping to add on an additional 1 GB. Won't that make a difference?

I had all graphics settings to lowest settings. Does following AI movement make that big a difference. It was incredibly slow at the end turn even for the factions I couldn't see (so I didn't see their character movement anyway)

I can't speak for anyone else, on this issue. All I have is my own computer. But on it, not following AI movement dropped the turn change from about 5 minutes to about 45-90 seconds.

Why not try a different campaign, and see if it works for you?

Woad Warrior
07-13-2006, 22:58
When it takes over 30 minutes to end turn, I think something more must be wrong than following AI character movement. Anyway, thanks for the advice peope, especially the info on the graphics card, I'm going to get a new one now, along with some RAM.:2thumbsup:

Cheexsta
07-14-2006, 05:10
If you're using WinXP, it's recommended that you use a MINIMUM of 512Mb of RAM. Any less and your computer can get extremely slow, much slower than you'd expect. It may be an idea to wait until the end of the year when all the next generation hardware and software comes out before upgrading much more than that (a 256Mb video card should suffice for most recent-ish games). After then you should be able to get what is currently a top-end computer for a fraction of the price, or you could go the whole hog and get some sort of beast as soon as it comes out ~D

That's all advice that I've been given, at least, and I'm sticking to it. Saving up for a decent computer now ~D