PDA

View Full Version : Projectiles, fire and moral penalty

Monkwarrior
07-15-2006, 12:05
Hi to all.
Taking into account the mods under development with different missile weapons, perhaps somebody had found the solution to my question.

I'm trying to get a moral penalty for normal (not fire) arrows and javelins, giving those weapons less lethality. In that way the missile won`t be so powerful, but it will be important to use them wisely.

The only method I found was to consider the normal arrows as "fiery" in descr_projectile_new.txt, but without the visual effects of the fire arrows. My hypothesis was correct, and the unit attacked with those "pseudo-firing" arrows got a moral penalty (shown in the information about that unit).
The only problem is that the dead corpses appear black, as if they were burnt.

Does anybody know if it is possible to eliminate this side effect?:inquisitive:

dclare4
07-20-2006, 04:05
I experimented with this some time ago but I fear my experiments were for naught (though I was probably doing SOMETHING wrong somewhere) but apparently one can't let non-fire weapons shoot 'fiery' projectiles - the fire arrows themselves are options for bowmen only - which is really rotten as the 'fire weapons' are the closest thing to simulating the effect of early musketry. If you're going to experiment best of luck and do tell us if it's possible.

Cheers,
Lord Clare/Harlechman

Monkwarrior
07-20-2006, 11:41
I experimented with this some time ago but I fear my experiments were for naught (though I was probably doing SOMETHING wrong somewhere) but apparently one can't let non-fire weapons shoot 'fiery' projectiles - the fire arrows themselves are options for bowmen only - which is really rotten as the 'fire weapons' are the closest thing to simulating the effect of early musketry. If you're going to experiment best of luck and do tell us if it's possible.

Cheers,
Lord Clare/Harlechman
In fact, you can make flamming missile different from arrows.
It is an old question reported long time ago:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=43671
As you can see, we are using flamming javelins (falaricas) in Iberia Total War from the very beginning of this mod.

I didn't explore the modification of the visual effects (smoke, particles, etc), but I imagine that it would be possible too, at least from what is said in this tutorial:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=55912

I didn't test with slingers, but I suppose that it would be also possible to make a fiery_bullet projectile, as a first step to fire weapons.

Cheers.:2thumbsup:

Lord Adherbal
07-20-2006, 19:37
we're using "siege_missiles" for our musketery in NTW2. Causes the "Scared of Artillery Fire" penalty for troops being hit.

Monkwarrior
07-20-2006, 23:56
Adherbal']we're using "siege_missiles" for our musketery in NTW2. Causes the "Scared of Artillery Fire" penalty for troops being hit.
Do you mean in export_descr_unit?
It appears as secondary weapon, whereas the infantry missile troops have a melée secondary weapon.
Doesn't this cause any undesirable effect?:inquisitive:

dclare4
07-21-2006, 00:57
Well, actually I meant that you can't get anything other than archer units to fire fire arrows apparently or maybe I WAS doing something wrong. In any case I needed it more for the morale effect than the fire. However I do believe Adherbal has given us an inkling of how to do it... :balloon2: :2thumbsup:

Cheers,
Lord Clare / Harlechman

Ciaran
07-21-2006, 08:02
Do you mean in export_descr_unit?
It appears as secondary weapon, whereas the infantry missile troops have a melée secondary weapon.
Doesn't this cause any undesirable effect?:inquisitive:

I believe "siege_weapon" is an attribute, like AP, Spear, prec etc. so that would not make a difference. What matters is the weapon to which the attribute refers.

Thanks a bunch for the tip, Adherbal :2thumbsup:
I was wondering about that as well after playing with the Citadel demo for a while.

Lord Adherbal
07-21-2006, 16:10
I'm too lazy to look it up, but archers normally use "missile" or something as one of their primary weapon attributes IIRC, you can replace that by "siege_missile"

Ciaran
07-22-2006, 11:53
I did look it up, it´s not an attribute like AP or such, but goes in the line above, the stat line (I think the classifications there are melee, missile and siege_missile, these three definitely, perhaps there are some more options - they´re listed at the beginning of EDU anyways)

But talking about missile weapons - which files do you need to edit when adding, say, a gunpowder missile? arrow_trail_effects and projectiles, that´s for sure, but there are three versions of those files, the normal one, new and final :dizzy2:
Are there any more that are obligatory (apart from the animations and the units to use this kind of weapon)?

JuliusCaesar
07-23-2006, 22:02
The only obligatory files are descr_effects_arrow_trail and descr_projectile_new. But you would probably also want to get some smoke rising from the barrel of the gun (I believe this has been done before) but I don't know which files to edit to do so. And perhaps changing the firing sound, but I wouldn't know how to do that either.

Ciaran
07-24-2006, 11:43
effect_arrow_trail and projectile_new is it?

I think I know how to add gunsmoke (that´s in arrow_trail, by the way) and the sounds from the Citadel and Warhammer mods.

This, by the way, is one thing that´s missing in the tutorial section: How to make a new projectile weapon.

JuliusCaesar
07-24-2006, 15:50
Check out this site, it helps you understand the effect_arrow_trail file: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=55912

The descr_projectile_new kind of speaks for itself.

By the way, I'm using RTW 1.5 for modding so the files I have to change might differ from the ones u have to change if you'r using 1.2. U might have to edit descr_arrow_trail_effects_final while I am editing effect_arrow_trail. U will have to try that out if you'r not using 1.5. GL