PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

Atreidis
07-20-2006, 00:50
Hi. I heard about EB and decided to install it immediately. I downloaded the 1.2 version installed it, then downloaded and installed EB. I try to start the game but after the startup screen it stops and a window pops up with this message:

Script Error in data/descr_sm_settlements.txt at line 304,column 1

Expected culture type, found nomad

Can you help me plz!!!

Teleklos Archelaou
07-20-2006, 01:28
sounds like a bad download. Are you starting with RTW Gold or with a version that already had 1.5 on it? Or is this a brand new 1.2 version you are talking about? Either way, my first guess (by the error message you relate) is that it was a corrupted download of the install file.

Atreidis
07-20-2006, 11:54
I downloaded the 1.2 version from the download section of this site. if it was corrupted then others should have reported it too. Now, what can I do? Redownload and reinstall 1.2?

Or better can I fix it myself?

Atreidis
07-20-2006, 16:33
Anyone? I am really excited about this mod and I can't wait to play (I have read about the features and factions three times :wall: :wall: :furious3: ). Any help will be appreciated :2thumbsup:

Teleklos Archelaou
07-20-2006, 16:44
Other people have had interrupted downloads or problems with a download. Doesn't mean the file was bad at first - just that something happened on download (they are huge files after all). I'd try downloading the file and the patch again.

Atreidis
07-20-2006, 16:52
Ok, thank you very much. I will start downloading immediately.

Atreidis
07-20-2006, 18:31
Sigh...this mod hates me. I did what you said and now it shows this message:

Script Error in data/text/descr_shortcuts.txt at line 122,column 39
SHORTCUT_PARSER: Uknown key (SHIFT_OR_CTRL) Parsed
:no: :dizzy2: :furious3: :furious3: :help:

Maybe If i knew what should be in line 122, column 39 i could fix it myself?

Teleklos Archelaou
07-20-2006, 18:56
No. It's not a real error. If you fix that something else would pop up. These errors are indicative of a faulty installation (faulty in one of a number of ways: maybe it wasn't on a totally clean 1.2 build, maybe the beta download or the patch download were corrupted or damaged in transit; those are the two big possibilities). This mod *will* work on a clean 1.2 build - there is no doubt about that.

Atreidis
07-20-2006, 19:06
Thnx. I will ask a friend to install EB in his game to see what happens.

Tellos Athenaios
07-20-2006, 21:21
Checked wether one or more of the installer files (the 1.2 patch, EB .7.2, .7.3a and/or .7.4) are not compressed? Compressed files have the annoying habit of causing errors that should never have existed if it weren't for the 'compressed' atribute of those files...

Atreidis
07-20-2006, 21:54
The 1.2 patch was compressed. But i found it from the links provided in the download section. Others should have encountered this problem too.

sedlacekj
07-28-2006, 13:54
I got my 1.2 patch from totalwar.org, but it should not make a difference. One thing I might suggest is making sure that all files are uninstalled or deleted before reinstalling the files. Check the target directory and ensure it is completely empty and then install RTW, 1.2 patch, EB 0.7.2, and EB 0.7.4 in that order. If anything is funny uninstall everything, delete whatever remains and start over. I had some serious difficulty the first time I installed EB. I even got fresh download of the patches a couple of times. One other thing I did was to play the game after each stage to see if all was well. For example, I installed RTW, then played a little. Then installed 1.2 patch and played a little, and then did EB 0.7.2... and you get the picture. I found that I was getting the problem after putting 1.2 patch on. I redownloaded the patch, made sure the filesize matched that on the website. Then uninstalled everything and deleted leftover files and reinstalled everything. I finally got all to work, but at first I did not know which patch was bad. Playing the game between each patch helped me to see that my 1.2 was bad. The filesize on disk should be 59,015,168 bytes after download. Sometimes static on whatever line you are using for internet connection can ruin a download. I have had better luck on Roadrunner than on DSL, but DSL can vary greatly depending on what the phonelines are like in your area. DSL can be faster, but is limited by phone lines in your area or building. I had a new cable install w/Roadrunner, and I haven't had corrupted downloads since. If you have an older Roadrunner installation have the service company check the static at your box on your building. I would not do these though until I tried the installation procedure several times. Another thing to try, and I don't know why it works, but disk defrag, disk cleanup, and fresh reboots help a lot with lots of crashes and corrupted files.

Kull
08-02-2006, 15:15
One other thing I did was to play the game after each stage to see if all was well. For example, I installed RTW, then played a little. Then installed 1.2 patch and played a little, and then did EB 0.7.2... and you get the picture. I found that I was getting the problem after putting 1.2 patch on.

The whole post contains some really good information, but the "incremental test games" quoted above are a MUST DO when you have what appears to be a bad installation. It may seem time consuming, but its so much easier to solve your problems when you KNOW what is causing them.