PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the latest patch fixed many of RTW's flaws?

DisruptorX
07-27-2006, 10:26
I recently reinstalled and started playing RTW again, after a very long break. I bought the game when it was brand new and was disgusted at the buggy mess that was this game and how it sucked compared to MTW. The AI was laughably easy to exploit, the units were not balanced, and army variety was boring.

Now, I have the newest patch and have been playing the game both single and multiplayer. Firstly, yes, the AI still is a mess, thats a given. However, I don't really find that units rout too fast unless they are attacked from behind. Phalanxes no longer move constantly to the left/right and a solid block of half-decent infantry no longer folds to a frontal cavalry charge.

In multiplayer, I've had great fun playing against friends, we choose balanced armies and put skirmishers to great use, making feints with light cavalry and horse archers, before our main blocks engage each other. I don't really find that the MP battles go much faster than MTW's did, and the results are highly reliant on tactics and skill.

The animations are still incredably silly, units still freak out when approaching town centers, but I think the game isn't nearly as bad now as it used to be.

Puzz3D
07-27-2006, 12:22
A lot of things were fixed by the patches. Try the XGM (http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/index.php?mod=712) (Extended Greek Mod) for a more challenging campaign. XGM ReadMe (http://homepage.mac.com/abradbury/xgmread/xgmreadme.html). The mod doesn't write over or replace the original game since it uses the -mods option, so you can still play vanilla.

Irishman3
08-08-2006, 21:02
I think they did. The biggest one for me was the save game/siege bug, where AI would lift a siege for no reason at all after saving/exiting and restarting the game. That bugged the snot out of me since I often (especially in the late game stages) only have enough time to play one turn a night. And though I don;t believe the AI is much smarter than before, they definitely act and re-act better on the battlefield with 1.5, at least when compared to the 1.2 and 1.3 patches. Player1's bug fixer mod is a must IMHO too, and Darth Mod formations can add a bit of flavor to the battles against AI, though since reinstalling and starting to play again about 4 weeks ago I have not been using it.

But, from my standpoint, CA fixed a lot of the critical issues with 1.5 so I feel I have gotten my monies worth, and really enjoying the game still. Which for a game thats what...over 2 years old now?...speaks volumes in todays game industry/sales market.

Tamur
08-08-2006, 22:20
Having come back to it after 18 months, the 1.5 patch really does make a great deal of difference. I still needed to mod the unit hp/missile strength, and terrain movement, simply because I like battles to last a bit. But battlefield AI is markedly better than the 1.1 version I left, and campaign AI is a bit of a surprise. Diplomacy is a bit dodgy, but the military engine is much better -- Massilia is currently being beseiged by two full stacks from Spain, an unheard of feat in 1.1

So yes, I'd say some major fixes have made a big difference. My hope is that all the learning that's gone into RTW will transfer to M2TW in the same way that Shogun/MI learning transfered to the original Medieval.

The Spartan (Returns)
08-08-2006, 23:24
well, there still the stupid phalanx bug.

Irishman3
08-09-2006, 23:57
well, there still the stupid phalanx bug.

What's the 'phalanx bug'? I usually play Julii so don't use phalanx and hardly ever run into them, so maybe have not experienced or noticed it yet.

DisruptorX
08-10-2006, 07:56
What's the 'phalanx bug'? I usually play Julii so don't use phalanx and hardly ever run into them, so maybe have not experienced or noticed it yet.

The one I'm talking about is how if you have phalanxes gaurding a narrow street, say like this:

]xxxxxxxxxx[ where ] [ are the street sides, and x are the phalanx troops.

The phalanx will constantly move to the side so that your formation eventually looks like this

].......xxxxx[

leaving a huge gap for the enemy to flank and destroy you. That bug was pretty much fixed.

The Spartan (Returns)
08-10-2006, 14:54
no, i mean like sometimes when a phalanx fights, anywhere, they scatter and its like their hitting themselves while moving away from the phalanx...

Puzz3D
08-10-2006, 15:58
no, i mean like sometimes when a phalanx fights, anywhere, they scatter and its like their hitting themselves while moving away from the phalanx...
There is also the reflected charge issue. In RTW v1.2, the phalanx was not reflecting the charge bonus of the charging unit back onto that unit. This was fixed in RTW v1.3, but now the phalanx reflects the charge in all directions when it should be reflecting only charges made on its front.

Bob the Insane
08-10-2006, 16:13
Personally I love going back to RTW with the latest patch on it... It is as almost as much fun as the BI game. I think it dealt with a lot of serious issues that were aflicting the gameplay. The Strategy portion of the game is basically better and the battle portion of the game is better especially the AI holding the main line and flanking...

DisruptorX
08-10-2006, 18:03
Wasn't there an issue with Activision refusing to release further patches for this game? If I recall correctly, that caused many TW fans, including myself, to completely give up on the game and let it rot on my shelf. Maybe they'll eventually get around to patching that phalanx bug, since they have a new publisher.

Come to think of it, I have seen this bug, because I've seen horse charge a phalanx's back and die.

The Spartan (Returns)
08-10-2006, 19:54
but its Sega now.

WarMachine420
08-11-2006, 15:32
Wasn't there an issue with Activision refusing to release further patches for this game? If I recall correctly, that caused many TW fans, including myself, to completely give up on the game and let it rot on my shelf. Maybe they'll eventually get around to patching that phalanx bug, since they have a new publisher.

Come to think of it, I have seen this bug, because I've seen horse charge a phalanx's back and die.

You're a little behind the times my man. The mass call for a patch was over a year ago. 16-18 months to be exact...lol. It ended when we got the patch as well as the expansion pack.

No more problems man...you can take the game back off the shelf, as you should have a year ago when they patched the game :oops:

Everything is well in the TW community and the game's never been more popular.

btw...latest patch is 1.5 for RTW and 1.6 for BI

The Spartan (Returns)
08-11-2006, 16:03
perhaps there will be a new patch. Alexander is 1.9 .

Seasoned Alcoholic
08-13-2006, 12:26
The workaround I used for the 'unit scattering / phalanx bug' was to remove all secondary weapons from phalanx-capable units (hoplites and phalangites). This seems to have fixed the issue, as the units don't scatter across the battlefield from their original formation. Every time the units scatter, they carry their secondaries, so it just seemed logical to remove the secondaries in order to prevent this issue from occurring.

Akka
08-17-2006, 01:03
As far as I can tell, there's still the "ranger units use their ranged attack in HtH fight" bug.

DVX BELLORVM
09-14-2006, 15:25
Greetings!
Is there a working solution for the siege tower bug? Or maybe another patch to fix this?
I haven't been on the forum for a while...

x-dANGEr
09-15-2006, 08:29
As far as I can tell, there's still the "ranger units use their ranged attack in HtH fight" bug.

But, why do you consider this a bug..! Actually, as far as I remember, the first line that is contact will fight with their secondary weapons, but the folks behinds will use their arrows.. Much stronger if you'd ask me!

About the phalanx bug called "Spear Butt". Well.. I think it is only fair now.. Since Phalanxs are so easy to kill if attacked right. You can kill a phalanx in a melee 1 on 1 with a peasent unit along with an Archer Warband one.. How? Just force them to their secondaries!