PDA

View Full Version : Vandal PBM - out of character thread

Zimfan
07-31-2006, 12:28
~:cheers: Hello everyone! Longtime lurker, first...er..second time poster here. I read the last few PBEM campaign writeups a while back, and was struck by what an incredible idea doing such a thing was. Since then I've been lurking around the throne room to see if a new one started up, but most of the new stuff seems to be mp or The Will of the Senate game, so I figured it was about time I quit lurking, signed up on the forums, and just posted here to find out if there's any interest in a new tradition PBEM campaign(that is, the kind where each player controls the entire reign of one leader or just a set number of terms a faction).

Would anyone like to give one a try? I see that for BI both of the Roman factions have already been done, as well as the Alemani. Maybe another barbarian faction, like the Saxons or Franks, or maybe the Celts could reclaim the lands stolen from them by the Romans, Gaul, Iberia, Britain, and the Po Valley(which would certainly be a challenge, given their rather limited unit lineup). Or the Romano British could establish a new Roman empire. I'm thinking Hard/Medium or Very Hard/Medium, to give a challenge but prevent computer limitanei from kicking the crap out of, say player Saxon Hearth Troops.

I'm open to house rules to make the campaign more challenging/longer (no peasant garrisons, no retraining, added campaign goals, etc.), and/or other factions. I'd also be happy to host the PBEM.

Any takers? :viking:

Avicenna
07-31-2006, 13:33
Sorry to be first to post and to say that I'm not interested. But I think if you used Goth's Mod for BI, which replaces the units with more realistic ones in some areas and better skins. It should improve gameplay as well.

For the R-B you'll certainly need a mod, and for the celts you probably want one too, to increase your choice in units. You could try playing Saxons as well, and establish your hold on the British Isles and then create an overseas colonial empire and war the Germanics ~;p

Dutch_guy
07-31-2006, 14:38
Welcome to the .Org Zimfan, and to the Throne Room of course ! :2thumbsup:

As you're playing Vanilla Rome, you might try advertising this in the Entrance Hall, or the Colosseum - they're both more active than the Throne Room is most of the time.And I'm sure at least a couple of the locals, or lurkers, are interested in a PBM which doesn't require tons of extra work that needs to be done to get the game working.

I don't think you've got anything to lose really, so give it a try.

PS: As for me....I'm busy with the RTRPE campaign as is Tiberius, and seeing that I'm not even that active (sadly) in that PBM it wouldn't be the smartest action to join another PBM. That said, I'm going on vacation in a couple of days , which means no Total War for three weeks....

:balloon2:

GeneralHankerchief
08-01-2006, 01:15
I'd be interested.

How about a Vandal campaign? It seems like they have a tough time for a Nomad faction, since they need to go from way out in the Steppes to Spain/Africa? The theme could be The Long March or something similar.

Avicenna
08-01-2006, 01:16
Mao-style long march?

:dizzy2:

GeneralHankerchief
08-01-2006, 01:19
:wall: Completely forgot.

Still, you get my drift.

Zimfan
08-01-2006, 06:03
Sorry to be first to post and to say that I'm not interested. But I think if you used Goth's Mod for BI, which replaces the units with more realistic ones in some areas and better skins. It should improve gameplay as well.

For the R-B you'll certainly need a mod, and for the celts you probably want one too, to increase your choice in units. You could try playing Saxons as well, and establish your hold on the British Isles and then create an overseas colonial empire and war the Germanics ~;p

I'll have to take a look at that one. The only BI mod I've tried so faris Professor Spatula's Extra Horde and Romano-British mod. Well, that and the bug fixer.

I love playing the Saxons. The limited cavalry and archers, and knowing I can't horde always make them interesting. :2thumbsup:

Zimfan
08-01-2006, 06:11
Welcome to the .Org Zimfan, and to the Throne Room of course ! :2thumbsup:

As you're playing Vanilla Rome, you might try advertising this in the Entrance Hall, or the Colosseum - they're both more active than the Throne Room is most of the time.And I'm sure at least a couple of the locals, or lurkers, are interested in a PBM which doesn't require tons of extra work that needs to be done to get the game working.

I don't think you've got anything to lose really, so give it a try.

PS: As for me....I'm busy with the RTRPE campaign as is Tiberius, and seeing that I'm not even that active (sadly) in that PBM it wouldn't be the smartest action to join another PBM. That said, I'm going on vacation in a couple of days , which means no Total War for three weeks....

I'll probably try that. I had been under the impression that I had to post this kind of thing in the Throne room.

Zimfan
08-01-2006, 06:27
I'd be interested.

How about a Vandal campaign? It seems like they have a tough time for a Nomad faction, since they need to go from way out in the Steppes to Spain/Africa? The theme could be The Long March or something similar.

:charge: A Vandal campaign works for me. They can be a bit quick, though, with only a ten province goal. If we want to make the campaign last more than one or two people's turns, maybe we should add a few house campaign goals, like Christianization of the Vandal empire and control of the mediterranean(signified perhaps by placing all of the islands in it under Vandal control. What do you think?

Dutch_guy
08-01-2006, 11:56
I'll probably try that. I had been under the impression that I had to post this kind of thing in the Throne room.

You're absolutely right on that, however, a bit of advertising never hurts :2thumbsup:

Ignoramus
08-01-2006, 12:03
I would be in for a Vandal campaign.

econ21
08-01-2006, 13:01
I'm interested. A vanilla BI campaign would probably open up the widest pool of players. But I'd second the idea of Goth's mod - the units are so much better looking while the gameplay is largely unchanged (a little more challenging and RTRish but not dramatically).

x-dANGEr
08-01-2006, 13:08
I would be in, only of it is vanilla BI.. Mods for WotS are already eating my disk drive..

GeneralHankerchief
08-01-2006, 19:31
Just a few notes if we are indeed doing a Vandal campaign:

-When compared with the Huns, the Vandals need to go farther with less troops (The Huns have 9 stacks compared to the six given to the Vandals, and the Hunnic cavalry has more than the usual 54 horses).

-Ideally their target area is the former territories of Carthage and Numidia, as well as Rome.

-The starting faction leader, Visimar, is extremely young (37 to be exact), which I think calls for an unorthodox reign system. Perhaps when certain areas have been entered play switches off. Once the Vandals have settled then we can resume the normal rule.

A few rules I am proposing:

-The route taken should be roughly what happened in history (Steppes-Germania-Gaul-Iberia-Africa).

-Corduba, when taken, is to be settled for a small amount of turns. Eventually, however, the player must horde up again and continue to Africa. Obviously the time taken when settled should be directed to building a navy.

-Carthage is to be settled and made the permanent capital. The Vandals must then work from there.

-No mercenaries while in horde mode.

That's all I can think of right now, do you guys approve/want to add more?

Zimfan
08-01-2006, 21:45
Maybe one person can have the migration to the Iberian peninsula and building of a navy, then the next can take Vandal migration number two, to Carthage. The first would be focused on gaining money through sacking settlements, and, of course, building up the navy, and the second on establishing a more permanant Vandal empire in Northern Africa, and building up their economy and regular military.

All of those rules sound fine to me. The only other thing I'd suggest is maybe changing the win conditions. 10 provinces seems like it would make for a very short post migration game.

Just a few notes if we are indeed doing a Vandal campaign:

-When compared with the Huns, the Vandals need to go farther with less troops (The Huns have 9 stacks compared to the six given to the Vandals, and the Hunnic cavalry has more than the usual 54 horses).

-Ideally their target area is the former territories of Carthage and Numidia, as well as Rome.

-The starting faction leader, Visimar, is extremely young (37 to be exact), which I think calls for an unorthodox reign system. Perhaps when certain areas have been entered play switches off. Once the Vandals have settled then we can resume the normal rule.

A few rules I am proposing:

-The route taken should be roughly what happened in history (Steppes-Germania-Gaul-Iberia-Africa).

-Corduba, when taken, is to be settled for a small amount of turns. Eventually, however, the player must horde up again and continue to Africa. Obviously the time taken when settled should be directed to building a navy.

-Carthage is to be settled and made the permanent capital. The Vandals must then work from there.

That's all I can think of right now, do you guys approve/want to add more?

Zimfan
08-01-2006, 22:04
State of the PBEM:

Tentative list of players, in no particular order:
-General Hankerchief
-Ignoramus
-econ21
-x-dANGEr, so long as we're playing Vanilla BI
-And, of course, me, Zimfan

Proposed rules, most courtesy of General Hankerchief:

-As the faction leader is young, Division of first reign into the Migration to Iberia, and The Migration to Carthage

-Possibly some kind change to the victory conditions, as the Vandals only require 10 provinces to win.

I'm thinking VH/M and large unit size or medium. I'm visiting my fiancee for the summer and playing on her laptop, so huge unit size is out for me(too much lag).

-One reccomendation for Goth's mod and one player who can't play unless it's vanilla BI.

Anyone have any ideas on the proposed rules(or new ones) or other things?

GeneralHankerchief
08-01-2006, 22:18
On the idea of making things more difficult:

Perhaps on the initial journey there would be target cities to sack (i.e. everything in our path) in order to give the player a sense of preserving his forces. If we want to wreak as much havoc as we can during the game, I suggest we really go after the settlements that can make some factions go and horde.

A few of these settlements/factions are:
-Vicus Sarmatae/Sarmatians (while it's not technically in our route, we can give it a break and unleash the Sarmies on the ERE)
-Vicus Franki/Franks (probably will have expanded by the time we get there)
-Campus Burgundii
-Campus Lombardi

If we are successful, these four peoples will be bearing down on the civilized world, not to mention the Huns, and possibly the Roxolani/Slavs. Enough destruction to make worlds shake.

What do you think of this? And VH/M, Large is fine with me as long as I don't go first.

econ21
08-01-2006, 22:42
I think you have a very good set of groundrules, Zimfan. :2thumbsup:

Anyone have an idea how long it would take to get to Iberia? And from Iberia to Carthage? The first leg, in particular, sounds long. If it is significantly longer than 20 turns, I would advocate 20 turn reigns instead. Traditional PBEMs can get exhausting and BI games immediately start off pretty "big" (lots of factions are ready to go) compared to RTW ones where you slowly build up your land.

One house rule I like is no retraining units unless they are full strength (except ships). This stops the player instanteously replenishing losses and also prevents them creating full strength uber experienced units from a few lucky surivors.

I also like a "no extermination" rule as exterminating is too easy a solution to money and loyalty problems. Hordes can always sack settlements anyway.

Finally, I would reduce the bandit and pirate spawn rate. I find bandits tedious to fight while pirates can become overly powerful.

I guess we should play vanilla given that not doing so would be a deal breaker for x-dANGEr whereas doing so is not a deal breaker for anyone else.

Zimfan
08-01-2006, 23:31
General Hankerchief,
A quick check of the last save in a Vandal campaign of mine showed that it took me about 30 years/60 turns to sack all of Gaul and Italy, settle in Spain, convert Spain to Christianity, build up a full stack army and a navy, take Tingi, and march that stack halfway to Carthage. I think I beat that game within the next 10 years or so.

Sacking all of the horde factions capitals sounds like fun to me. Should we add Rome to the sacking list?

If noone else wants to, I can go first, but if the Huns attack me I may need to settle and rehorde(in my WRE game I had to force them to fight at rivers and in woods to beat them off, and they still killed as many of my men as I did their's).

econ21,
Thanks, but General Hankerchief came up with most of them. :)
20 turns works for me.
I don't mind no extermination, but given the Vandal's lack of happiness buildings maybe we should make an exception for WRE "Huge" cities(or allow the sacking of Carthage before settling it).

Does everybody have to reduce the spawn rates to the same level to make the game compatible for everyone, or is that only a problem with major mods? This is my first PBEM.

econ21
08-02-2006, 00:17
I don't mind no extermination, but given the Vandal's lack of happiness buildings maybe we should make an exception for WRE "Huge" cities(or allow the sacking of Carthage before settling it).

Does everybody have to reduce the spawn rates to the same level to make the game compatible for everyone, or is that only a problem with major mods? This is my first PBEM.

OK, let's forget about a no extermination rule - I had not thought about the lack of happiness buildings. I believe only the first player needs to reduce the spawn rates - the relevant file is only read once, at the start of a campaign.

GeneralHankerchief
08-02-2006, 01:13
Regarding extermination, I don't think it's necesscary. I'm pretty sure that you settling as a horde faction automatically converts that city to your culture, so it completely eliminates the culture and capital distance penalties. We can eliminate it if we want, but after sacking so many cities it really won't matter to the Vandals from a role-playing point of view.

As for the first reign being over 20 turns, you forget that being a horde, there's really no administrative duties involved. Many of the turns will consist of clicking on a stack, clicking on its destination, repeat five times. In the later stages when our boys reach Gaul and Iberia, then there will be a bit more siegework.

I'll do a test to see about how long we're talking about until the Vandals hit Corduba in the meantime.

Zimfan
08-02-2006, 01:24
Regarding extermination, I don't think it's necesscary. I'm pretty sure that you settling as a horde faction automatically converts that city to your culture, so it completely eliminates the culture and capital distance penalties. We can eliminate it if we want, but after sacking so many cities it really won't matter to the Vandals from a role-playing point of view.

As for the first reign being over 20 turns, you forget that being a horde, there's really no administrative duties involved. Many of the turns will consist of clicking on a stack, clicking on its destination, repeat five times. In the later stages when our boys reach Gaul and Iberia, then there will be a bit more siegework.

I'll do a test to see about how long we're talking about until the Vandals hit Corduba in the meantime.

That's true, but only for the very first city you settle. Cordoba gave me trouble the whole game because of the culture penalty and high population.

Can't wait to hear the results of the test. :2thumbsup:

GeneralHankerchief
08-02-2006, 22:30
Well, my test is complete. I wanted to see roughly how long it took to get from the Steppes to Corduba, using this general route:

http://home.comcast.net/~general_hankerchief/onlinestorage/vandal_pbm_000.JPG

During my test (Easy/Easy just to be quick), I besieged no cities aside from Corduba, and fought no battles unless the enemy was directly in my way. Although Vicus Sarmatae was out of the way, I simulated the army moving there. In addition, I also made the effort to keep my horde together. While Visimar, the leader, could have probably reached Corduba somewhat earlier I kept him close to the rest of the horde.

My route was divided into 3 sections.

Section 1
Vicus Sarmatae - no wall
Campus Lombardi - wooden wall
Campus Burgundii - wooden wall
Campus Chatti - wooden wall
Vicus Franki - stone wall

Section 2
Since you must go through Vicus Franki in order to pass, I split my horde up. Half went north, half south. Obviously in the actual game it will be sacked then we'll decide what to do from there.

North: (three stacks)
Colonia Agrippina - wooden wall
Samarobrive - stone wall
Avaricum - large stone wall (374 AD at this point)

South: (three stacks)
Augusta Treverorum - stone wall
Army then went south following road until bridge, where it went west and crossed a roadless plain, leading to Avaricum while North Section was "sieging"

Section 3 (reunified horde)
Burdigala - wooden wall
Tarraco - stone wall (passable if you don't wish to sack it- take the ford to the west)
Corduba - stone wall
NOTE: Carthago Nova is impassable if you want to stay on the road. I went west through Southern Iberia to hit Corduba.

~~~~~~
The horde settled Corduba in the Summer of 380 AD, seventeen years and thirty four turns in. Taking in the fact that there are eleven settlements along the way, plus adding some time for reorganization, I'd estimate the march taking about fifty turns or so. Visimar should have a few years left in him by the time that happens. Pretty long for a first leg, even if it's just moving six stacks and fighting a siege battle every once in a while.

This is a rough sketch of the journey I took (keyword being rough, because of my dumb mouse wheel getting in the way). My route is in green, with split and all (FOW was on for most of my journey so I could see if there were enemies ahead).

http://home.comcast.net/~general_hankerchief/onlinestorage/vandal_pbm_001.JPG

Oh, and in case anybody was wondering, the Huns horded the poor Sarmatians twice. They were milling around the area between their original land and the Roxolani capital at the end. The Romano-British had emerged due to Celtic takeover and had captured Londinium. The Huns were sieging Ravenna for a second time, after being repulsed before. The WRE had destroyed the Alemanni by about Turn 3, and was actually pretty stable. The ERE had lost Athens, about half of Turkey, and some other place in the Middle East due to rebels.

econ21
08-02-2006, 22:45
That's an interesting test run - I think it confirms that the march to Iberia is rather long for one player to do. If we have five players, I think cutting the PBM into bite sized 20 turn pieces might be the best way to share it out.

Zimfan
08-03-2006, 23:18
~:cheers: Very impressive General Hankerchief.

That means that at 20 turns per person the first three will most likely handle the migration to Iberia(The Long Ma...er...Lengthy Stroll) and establishment of a fleet and the last two the setting up of a permanant base in Carthage and taking of the needed territories for the win.

We should probably start thinking about the play order now. Does anyone have any preferences? I can go first if nobody else wants to.

econ21
08-04-2006, 00:11
We should probably start thinking about the play order now. Does anyone have any preferences? I can go first if nobody else wants to.

Seconded. :2thumbsup: I think it's good if the creator of a PBM goes first - he can set the tone, so to speak. I suggest starting with the order people expressed interest in this thread and then letting people request alterations depending on their availability and prefences.

I make that:

Zimfan
GeneralHankerchief
Ignoramus
x-dANGEr
econ21

Dutch_guy was 2nd to post interest but is away for 3 weeks, so could be slotted in somewhere on the list depending how far the campaign gets in the next 3 weeks.

Ignoramus
08-04-2006, 00:17
Good, I get to invade Spain!

I have one more rule to add: We are allowed to exterminate the population of cities we sack.

What do you think?

GeneralHankerchief
08-04-2006, 00:29
There are two choices when you take a city as a horde: Sack or Settle.

If you sack it it's pretty much extermination, although you kill even more people, get even more gold, and destroy a lot of the buildings in the city. So extermination would fall under the category of "sacking."

Ignoramus
08-04-2006, 01:33
Ah ok. Also, I think we should make it a rule that we must cross at the Strait of Gibraltar, and march along the African coast to Carthage.

GeneralHankerchief
08-04-2006, 01:55
What I had in mind was Corduba being a pit stop of sorts - what's left of the horde settles down and refreshes for five turns or so. The player then clicks the horde button, and the Vandals cross the Strait, proceed across Africa, and permanently settle at Carthage.

Zimfan
08-04-2006, 02:30
Ok, I think we're ready to go. I don't think I have any mods installed but since I brought all of my cds with me on vacation I'm going to do a clean reinstall of BI and patch 1.6 just to be safe and forestall any incompatibility problems.

I'll start my turn tonight, but first better get some dumb questions out of the way. :)

Will the presence or absence of the bug fixers on my version cause any problems?

Does anyone know where I can get some software to convert those tga screenshots to jpeg? I've never posted any before.

Avicenna
08-04-2006, 03:00
Paint should do it. Copy the screenshot and then paste it onto paint. 'Save as' and then choose .jpeg file.

Zimfan
08-04-2006, 11:43
Ok, the first ten years of Visimar's reign have ended. The Sarmatians were successfully horded, but dissapointedly settled in Campus Iazyges. The Goths horded and were destroyed in the same turn, oddly, the Huns seem to be bearing down on the ERE, the Lombardi have been horded and are making their way through Gaul, and the last settlements of the Burgundii and Franks have been sieged. Both have decent garrisons, and the Franks have family members with those annoying Paladin bodyguards, but they should be no match for the besieging armies.Oddly, our horde took the biggest hit from taking the Sarmatian capital, mostly due to the crapulence of horde infantry and high armor of the Sarmatian horse archers. :furious3: But our horde is nonetheless scarcely weaker than it started. :2thumbsup:

I'm going to try to upload the save right now before I go to bed (3:40 A.M. here in the West Coast) and hopefully finish my writeup by tomorrow night.

Ignoramus
08-04-2006, 12:09
Where is the write-up?

Zimfan
08-04-2006, 12:19
~:) Not done yet. I just finished the game half an hour ago. I'm still pretty wired from the huge amount of caffeine I've consumed so I'll try to stay up and finish it tonight, but I might not be done until tomorrow. I take it that it should be posted here in the throne room as a new thread?

Btw, our game is now uploaded, rather uncreatively under the name of Zim'sVandals373.

Zimfan
08-04-2006, 12:21
I'm sorting through my screenshots right now. I think I may have gone a bit overboard. I have over 70 of them.

econ21
08-04-2006, 12:40
I take it that it should be posted here in the throne room as a new thread?

Yes, that's best - it keeps the story clean of administrative stuff.

PS: I use Irfanview for saving tgas as jpg - it's free to download on the internet. Please resize to 75% of the original before posting. (I use imageshack to host screenshots).

GeneralHankerchief
08-04-2006, 19:31
:thumbsup: Wow! Didn't know you'd be that fast, Zimfan!

I'll get right to work on the game. Although my progress will definitely be slower.

Zimfan
08-04-2006, 22:59
:thumbsup: Wow! Didn't know you'd be that fast, Zimfan!

I'll get right to work on the game. Although my progress will definitely be slower.

I was still hopped up on caffeine when my fiancee went to bed last night, so I just stayed up and did it all in one go.

I'm working on the writeup right now. Hoping to get it done tonight, but it might take a bit.

Good luck! I think I left our horde suitably enrichened and not overly depleted, although I think Visimar will be happy to finish up with these poor barbarian towns and get started on the richer, poorly defended Roman towns.

Zimfan
08-05-2006, 02:55
Ok, the writeup is done, the tgas converted, and hopefully after a visit to imageshack(thanks for the tip, econ21!) it'll be up tonight(well, tonight for me here on the U.S.'s West Coast). :2thumbsup:

Zimfan
08-05-2006, 07:26
Ok, I'm glad now that I did that before trying to post the whole writeup with all it's pics.

Zimfan
08-05-2006, 07:32
Test run part two http://www.123pichosting.com/basic.php

Zimfan
08-05-2006, 07:34
Test run part three. http://www.123pichosting.com/viewer.php?id=1375004cmpadj.JPG

Zimfan
08-05-2006, 07:36
http://123pichosting.com/images/4512004cmpadj.JPG

Zimfan
08-05-2006, 08:23
:2thumbsup: I posted the writeup! https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1209520#post1209520

:oops: I can't edit my posts, could a mod please delete that bandwidth sucking post I made a bit back while trying to figure out how to post screenchots?

GeneralHankerchief
08-06-2006, 01:03
Things are progressing well here. The Burgundii and Franks have been horded (although fighting a stack with five generals in it was extremely annoying :wall:), and Visimar & co. are marching on.

Just a heads-up though, I will be on vacation for three or four days starting tomorrow and won't be able to play at all during that time, so don't be alarmed if I don't post for a while.

GeneralHankerchief
08-11-2006, 03:04
Just an update:

I am back and about half done my reign. Things have progressed slower than I had hoped, so I'm slightly behind schedule as far getting to Corduba. Will try to speed things up for the second half, maybe skip a city.

GeneralHankerchief
08-15-2006, 04:11
Well, my reign is wrapping up. I'll finish it and post the savegame within a couple of days. Sorry it took so slow, everyone.

I'll give my notes to Ignoramus when the time comes, but for now let me just say that the next few players should have no problems when it comes to money. :grin:

Also, is x-dAnger still interested? I know he left the Senate...

Ignoramus
08-15-2006, 04:21
the next few players should have no problems when it comes to money. :grin:

Good, I tend to be a big spender...

GeneralHankerchief
08-16-2006, 02:24
Ok, it's done. Ignoramus, I'm passing the savegame to you.

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Vandals-Sum-383.zip

A couple of notes:

-Our treasury stands at around 140k. So you really need to work to get us in financial trouble.
-Every single horde faction is in WRE territory, which is excellent. :evil: Most are sieging a settlement currently, and the Lombardi have settled in Mediolanium.
-Our spy is in Corduba. Our diplomat hasn't had too much to do, but he's making his way to Mediolanium to (hopefully) patch things up with the Lombardi. Our assassin didn't even make it to my reign. :hide:

I'll post my writeup in a day or two. Right now there's a mountain of screenshots that need to be sifted through.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Zim, your pictures don't work anymore.

Zimfan
08-16-2006, 10:41
Ok, it's done. Ignoramus, I'm passing the savegame to you.

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Vandals-Sum-383.zip

A couple of notes:

-Our treasury stands at around 140k. So you really need to work to get us in financial trouble.
-Every single horde faction is in WRE territory, which is excellent. :evil: Most are sieging a settlement currently, and the Lombardi have settled in Mediolanium.
-Our spy is in Corduba. Our diplomat hasn't had too much to do, but he's making his way to Mediolanium to (hopefully) patch things up with the Lombardi. Our assassin didn't even make it to my reign. :hide:

I'll post my writeup in a day or two. Right now there's a mountain of screenshots that need to be sifted through.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Zim, your pictures don't work anymore.

:oops: Sorry about the assassin. He somehow managed to die going after a Sarmatian...agent, I think.

I'm not sure what I can do about the pics. I hosted them on imageshack. I still have them in jpeg form on my comp, but without being able to edit my posts I can't put them back in.

econ21
08-16-2006, 10:48
Why can't you edit your posts, Zimfan? You are a member now, so should be able to.

Zimfan
08-16-2006, 10:58
Why can't you edit your posts, Zimfan? You are a member now, so should be able to.

:2thumbsup: You're right. An edit button has indeed appeared at the bottom of my posts. I hadn't even noticed that my membership had upgraded. I'll go fix the pics right now.

Zimfan
08-16-2006, 11:24
Ok, pics are now up.

And while I'm at it, I thought you guys might be mildly amused at something that happened during an Allemanii campaign I started right after my turn at the pbem.

I had spent the first decade or so in a struggle to evade destruction at the hands of vastly larger and more advanced Roman armies when I noticed somethign odd. Vandals on my back dorrstep (Campus Quadi). The first time I'd ever seen them go for Germany. They made a bee line straight for Campus Franki, horded them, and both hordes tore settled Gaul and promptly spent the rest of the game fighting eachother for it. I wonder if the AI learns by copying the player.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/0995e10ac9.jpg (http://www.uploadfile.info)

econ21
08-17-2006, 11:03
I've PMd the next players - Ignoramus and x-dANGEr.

x-dANGEr can't play his turn.

Ignoramus has not logged on yet. To keep things moving, I propose we give him until Friday 6pm UK time to post here that he has picked up the savegame. If he does not reply, I could pick it up - I should have done my turn by Monday.

But I'll let Zimfan decide whether that is ok.

Zimfan
08-17-2006, 12:11
I've PMd the next players - Ignoramus and x-dANGEr.

x-dANGEr can't play his turn.

Ignoramus has not logged on yet. To keep things moving, I propose we give him until Friday 6pm UK time to post here that he has picked up the savegame. If he does not reply, I could pick it up - I should have done my turn by Monday.

But I'll let Zimfan decide whether that is ok.

Hmmm..would you be able to pick up the game Monday? I'd be inclined to give him until Sunday(and thus a full week since his last post) before bumping him back a space in line but I also understand that pbems tend to die if they stop progressing for too long. If this weekend is a short opening in an otherwise busy upcoming week then I say go for it, assuming he doesn't reply the within the next couple of days.

econ21
08-17-2006, 12:13
Ignoramus posted on the Org today and I sent him another PM asking him to post here. My constraint is that I can only really play weekends.

Zimfan
08-17-2006, 12:54
Ignoramus posted on the Org today and I sent him another PM asking him to post here. My constraint is that I can only really play weekends.

In that case we'll have to give him until Friday. If he hasn't posted by then he be bumped back in line behind you.

Ignoramus
08-17-2006, 23:22
Sorry for not replying sooner. I'll start my turn today.

econ21
08-17-2006, 23:25

Good hunting! :2thumbsup:

Zimfan
08-18-2006, 02:17

:2thumbsup: Great! I was worried for a while.

GeneralHankerchief
08-18-2006, 03:15
Half of my writeup is done. The other half should be finished tomorrow.

Zimfan
08-22-2006, 01:26
Great writeup General Hankerchief!:2thumbsup:

Ignoramus
08-22-2006, 09:18
Sorry guys, I only just realised that I only had 1.4, not 1.6. Somehow I thought BI came with 1.6. That is a really big shame.

Zimfan
08-22-2006, 10:27
Sorry guys, I only just realised that I only had 1.4, not 1.6. Somehow I thought BI came with 1.6. That is a really big shame.

You can pick up 1.6 on totalwar.com ~:)

econ21
08-22-2006, 12:25
Hi, Ignoramus. Please let us know whether you want to patch your game to 1.6 or you want to withdraw from the campaign. If we don't hear from you by Friday, I guess I should pick up the savegame.

econ21
08-23-2006, 21:41
Great writeup General Hankerchief!:2thumbsup:

Seconded - a very enjoyable read! I liked the allusions to the Will of the Senate and the WRE PBMs. Shame I have a traitor's heart - my sympathies are all with Marcus Flavius.

GeneralHankerchief
08-23-2006, 23:25
Heh, thanks guys. I wanted to make it longer but seeing as how there's only really one storyline going on (hordes rampaging through Europe) it couldn't really be stretched.

TinCow must get the credit; his WRE writeups inspired me to get BI as well as use Marcus as a central character. It's a shame that his force didn't move during my turn- it would have been great if there was a final showdown between him and Visimar. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

The last writeup will be posted tomorrow.

econ21
08-24-2006, 21:58
OK, I've done my 10 years. It was very quiet - only 3 land battles. I confess I've never played a horde faction before so I may have messed up things. (Was a little shocked to realise I could not sack a second city after settling in Cordoba and that I'd lose effectively my entire army if I took a third city ~:doh:). But we have taken Carthage on the last turn of my reign. I think Rome is do-able but not straightforward.

I kept to a houserule of only transporting one unit per one boat. We then hit a problem with massive pirate fleets sinkng our ships. Getting to Rome using that houserule will not be easy, but would be more characterful than simply sneaking a full stack across on one boat.

The savegame is: Vandals-Sum-393.zip

As there are no other players, AFAIK, I suggest we recycle the reigns. Maybe Zimfan can finish the campaign off or failing that, GeneralHankerchief after him?

Zimfan
08-24-2006, 23:56
OK, I've done my 10 years. It was very quiet - only 3 land battles. I confess I've never played a horde faction before so I may have messed up things. (Was a little shocked to realise I could not sack a second city after settling in Cordoba and that I'd lose effectively my entire army if I took a third city ~:doh:). But we have taken Carthage on the last turn of my reign. I think Rome is do-able but not straightforward.

I kept to a houserule of only transporting one unit per one boat. We then hit a problem with massive pirate fleets sinkng our ships. Getting to Rome using that houserule will not be easy, but would be more characterful than simply sneaking a full stack across on one boat.

The savegame is: Vandals-Sum-393.zip

As there are no other players, AFAIK, I suggest we recycle the reigns. Maybe Zimfan can finish the campaign off or failing that, GeneralHankerchief after him?

I don't suppose Mr. Hankerchief and I can switch places? My turn at the Julii campaign should be coming shortly and I'm starting school again. If I have to I can just play a late night on Sunday.

GeneralHankerchief
08-25-2006, 00:05
I could do it - just need some notes from Econ (nice writeup btw :2thumbsup:) on how things are going. E.g. Financial situation and such.

Btw, my last writeup is done. Check the post that formerly said "placeholder."

econ21
08-25-2006, 00:25
I could do it - just need some notes from Econ (nice writeup btw :2thumbsup:) on how things are going. E.g. Financial situation and such.

I'm not sure I can tell you much more than you would find out by loading up the savegame. We are down to about 100k balance. We have about a stack of troops around Carthage. We have less in Spain but it is not threatened. The Berbers are not hostile, but I guess that will change now we have Carthage.

If you want to stick to the 1 unit: 1 fleet houserule, the biggest challenge will be getting across the sea to Rome with the massive pirate fleets around. If it were me, I'd build 4 ships in Carthage and start ferrying the men across via Sicily. Challenging the pirates in a straight up battle is not really viable - I tried it and lost a lot of ships.

It probably looks a sad inheritance compared to what you left me - all the horde units are gone - but it's doable.

GeneralHankerchief
08-25-2006, 01:27
Just uploaded the savegame - it's not bad at all. You're overcritical of yourself, Econ.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Marcus' position and status. Looks like he might be getting another starring role.

Also looks like the hordes have burned themselves out fighting each other - and the Huns have Rome and Ravenna! :dizzy2: Gah, I sided with the wrong people... Although it should be made for some great RP'ing.

Ok, FOW off now, time to play... :juggle2:

Zimfan
08-26-2006, 13:49
Thank you General Hankerchief. The starting player for the Julii campaign had computer troubles and I'll be going first. Between that and financial aid problems my weekend will be very packed. I'm grateful to you for taking the next turn. I'll be happy to go after you, or if you guys think my turn this round should be forfeited, after Econ21.

GeneralHankerchief
08-26-2006, 15:22
Heh, you don't have to forfit your turn. This is a PBM, we're all friendly here. :grin: I think there will only be one round left after me.

I haven't gotten the chance to play much (this weekend will be different, however), but the main concentration is on the navy. In addition, a force is being sent to Tingi to boost trade revenue/make more boats. The only trouble is that ever since I changed the capital to Carthage, Corduba has been a pain in the you-know-where.

GeneralHankerchief
08-28-2006, 03:11
Ok, just a short update.

I am over halfway done the ten years. We are strapped for cash. That 147,000 denarii made on the march is gone. It's forced me to keep conquering just to keep us in the black. Basically, the campaign looks like the start of the WRE one at this point.

I have quit so that when I load the game, there is a battle waiting for me that will probably decide the success of the PBM. It's small-scale but absolutely crucial that we win.

Depending on how real-life goes my turn will be finished up in a couple of days. Just pray that Zim isn't handed a pile of ash.

Ignoramus
08-28-2006, 05:10
I just managed to get 1.6, so can I take over next?

Zimfan
08-29-2006, 05:22
I just managed to get 1.6, so can I take over next?

If General Hankerchief's last two posts haven't made you wary of taking the next turn, then be my guest.

GeneralHankerchief
08-29-2006, 05:34
If General Hankerchief's last two posts haven't made you wary of taking the next turn, then be my guest.

Ok, it's not that bad. I do have a backup plan (no, I haven't had any time to play the battle today) but it won't be pretty. Mainly it'll involve - isn't this appropriate - condensing.

Zimfan
09-02-2006, 01:09
Ignoramus?

GeneralHankerchief
09-02-2006, 03:12
Still mine, sorry. It's been a busy week. The battle has been fought and won, but I haven't had much time to play. It'll be finished on the weekend.

GeneralHankerchief
09-04-2006, 01:06
All yours, Ignoramus.

The last few years were pretty sleepy, not really building much and not conquering at all. It was rather boring, but our financial situation is in the right direction.

And ignore the red face in Carthage, it hasn't rioted even though the signs are there. If you need anything else just PM me.

Savegame: http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Vandals-Sum-403.zip

econ21
09-19-2006, 22:19
It's been more than 2 weeks - I think this PBM should go back to Zimfan or it is going to fall by the wayside.

Zimfan
09-20-2006, 04:10
It's been more than 2 weeks - I think this PBM should go back to Zimfan or it is going to fall by the wayside.

Yeah. The next few days will be kind of hectic for me, but if he hasn't replied by then, I can easily play my turn over the weekend.

GeneralHankerchief
09-23-2006, 23:47
Ok, after about eighty years I've started the writeup. Hopefully it'll give Zimfan a little taste of what I've been up against.

The rest of it will be up tomorrow.

GeneralHankerchief
09-24-2006, 19:24
Ok, write-up's done.

How goes your reign, Zim?

econ21
09-29-2006, 16:56
An excellent write-up, GeneralHankerchief - chrystal clear and characterful. :2thumbsup:

Zimfan - are you interested in picking this up again?

Zimfan40
09-30-2006, 04:49
An excellent write-up, GeneralHankerchief - chrystal clear and characterful. :2thumbsup:

Zimfan - are you interested in picking this up again?

Sorry about the lack of a headsup. I misplaced my password and figured it wouldn't take long at all to get it reset. I was wrong. Been trying all week. Most of the time I was told my email address was "invalid". Finally got through once, got the mail asking me to hit the link to reset the password, no new password ever came :wall: . Then I tried to start a new account with a different hotmail address, never got the registration email. Finally started this one with my yahoo account. Seconds later, here I am.

School hit me kind of hard this last week, with two tests, but I can complete my reign within a day. :2thumbsup:

Zimfan40
09-30-2006, 06:49
Ok, write-up's done.

How goes your reign, Zim?

Ok. Sadly I'm over halfway through my turn and money troubles have kept me from conquering more than one province.(Caralis). Then when I was all set to invade Rome pirate attacks destroyed my fleet. Rebuilt it and wreaked some revenge but by the time I made it to Rome a horde was hanging around outside its walls! And it had to be full of horse archers. :p I hate fighting horse archers, even when I have my own. Doesn't look like I'll be finishing the game my turn, even if I do take out this horde I have the Huns to deal with!

Looks like it'll be up to econ to finish things. :)

Zimfan40
09-30-2006, 06:52
By the way, I don't suppose anyone would be interested in playing another pbem with me using Goth's All Factions mod? I gave it a try recently and you guys are right, it's fantastic!

I'm partial to the Romano british, or one of the other factions that's had a major unit roster revamp. :2thumbsup:

Zimfan40
09-30-2006, 08:52
Ok, my reign is over. We've captured Caralis, Tarentum, and Salona but sadly not Rome. The Huns, the Sarmatian horde, and the Lombardi have all been fighting over it, amusingly enough. End of reign fow toggle shows that the three have fought eachother's armies to near extinction. Huns last city is in Ravenns so if they get attacked another horde could come a'knocking. The treacherous Sarmatians have sieged Tarentum with the last of their horde, but I think we can beat them off. Salona is a major cash cow, and both Salona and Tarentum have the infrastructure needed to make our best troops. Good luck to the next player, who will most likely be our last. :)

Zimfan40
09-30-2006, 09:05
Sorry, forgot to mention that the save is uploaded as VandalsSum413.

econ21
09-30-2006, 11:31
I've just picked up the Julii PBM. Typical - you wait for one bus and then two show up. :laugh4:

Zimfa40: this is your PBM, if you think the next player can end it, why not just carry on playing and bring it to a fitting conclusion?

GeneralHankerchief
09-30-2006, 14:50
How much is there to be done, Zim? I'm interested in finishing up, but not if X, Y, and Z need to be taken care of.

Zimfan40
09-30-2006, 17:42
How much is there to be done, Zim? I'm interested in finishing up, but not if X, Y, and Z need to be taken care of.

Well, we have a horde sieging Tarentum. If the AI commands them in a half intelligent way they could probably take it, so I'd say we're fairly safe. Never know, though, our garrison is low on melee infantry because of those darned double silver chevroned hunnin swordsmen! :furious3:

Salona is safe, and capable of producing our better troops(and making boatloads of money).

Rome is defended by a half stack of rebels (Sarmatians sacked it. first time I recall seeing a horde sack Rome, actually). Those rebels have repelled both the Huns and the Lombards! :laugh4:

Barring a tough fight over Tarentum, and a possible rehording of the Huns if they lose poorly defended Ravenna, taking Rome might be rather anticlimactic.

Navy went back down the crapper, after being rebuilt for something like the
3rd time. I've come to hate rebels on Very Hard. ~:)

Zimfan40
09-30-2006, 17:46
I've just picked up the Julii PBM. Typical - you wait for one bus and then two show up. :laugh4:

Zimfa40: this is your PBM, if you think the next player can end it, why not just carry on playing and bring it to a fitting conclusion?

Finishing it would myself would be satisfying in way, especially after the pirate and double silver chevroned hun troubles I faced. However, I think with your vastly superior write-up skills, one of you two would write a far more dramatic and interesting end to the campaign.

~;p I'd also have to unistall Goth's All Factions mod again to play it.

I'll leave the decision up to you two. If General Hankerchief still wants to finish it, or if yuo'd like to, that's fine by me. :bow:

econ21
09-30-2006, 22:00
I'll leave the decision up to you two. If General Hankerchief still wants to finish it, or if yuo'd like to, that's fine by me. :bow:

OK, thanks, Zimfan, :bow:

I'll pass, as I am just getting started on the Julii. GeneralHankerchief - it's all yours.

GeneralHankerchief
10-01-2006, 19:42
OK, thanks, Zimfan, :bow:

I'll pass, as I am just getting started on the Julii. GeneralHankerchief - it's all yours.

Gotcha.

As you probably may have figured out by now, I'm on Throne Room overload so I'll take a day or two before looking at it.

Zimfan40
10-01-2006, 19:59
:2thumbsup: Works for me, General Hankerchief.

I need to do penance anyway. First time I assaulted Tarentum I lost(despite two to one odds in my favor) after one of my weaker units routed, causing a chain route. Without even thinking(and very angry) I reloaded from the autosave ad did it again. Didn't even occur to me until hours later that, for a multiplayer game, I pretty much just cheated. Too late to fix it, but I wanted to apologize. :oops:

GeneralHankerchief
10-06-2006, 23:11
Ok, I've just loaded up the savegame.

Basically, I have ten years to take one city. Glad to see Gondegusulus still alive.

I'm game. :2thumbsup:

Zimfan40
10-07-2006, 01:30
Ok, I've just loaded up the savegame.

Basically, I have ten years to take one city. Glad to see Gondegusulus still alive.

I'm game. :2thumbsup:

Don't You just love that kind of goal where if you succeed noone will be impressed but if you fail incessant mocking will ensue? :sweatdrop:

Zimfan40
10-10-2006, 00:23
General Hankerchief,
How are things going?
School is kicking me in the butt, with the graduate exam, multiple midterms, and papers coming up in the next two weeks. If everyone's ok with it I may have to take a little extra time with my campaign report. I can put in a placeholder post if you'd like. :bow:

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2006, 01:59
School's been kicking my butt too; most of my gaming time has been relegated to the weekend.

I'm making a big push to finish it this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2006, 17:18
Sorry guys, but real life's just hit me pretty hard with a family emergency, and as a result I can't finish my turn or do a write-up.

I want this campaign finished as much as anyone else but real life takes precedence. Sorry.

econ21
10-15-2006, 17:27
No problem: all the best with the family emergency and when it's over, we can sort out how to end this PBM.

Patriarch of Constantinople
10-17-2006, 02:42
while waiting for my pbm to launch, i would be happy to join

I have BI 1.6 though

Patriarch of Constantinople
10-17-2006, 02:44
sorry didnt decide to read all of it :p. i guess its too late huh?