PDA

View Full Version : conquering an eagle

Cras
08-11-2006, 12:32
as the roman I had an army gone rogue on me (and a pretty strong one too!).

when I sieged the city they were in the tried a sally, after deveting them I got the notification I had one of their eagles...

I thought I had read here that it didnt happen when you attacked a city...

but.. it happened to me!

The Spartan (Returns)
08-11-2006, 16:05
good for you!

Ciaran
08-12-2006, 10:28
I believe it was me who wrote that you don´t capture an eagle in a siege. Seems I was wrong, but then, the two situations in which a First Cohort was involved were

- a starving-out siege. No attack, I just waited for the enemy to drop dead

- a siege assault initiated by me.

Maybe the rules for sallies are different, maybe in the siege assault I just had bad luck not to grab the eagle - it happens in field battles as well.

After two (already :scared: ?) years of collective RTW experience we still don´t know everything about the game mechanics.

Celt Centurion
08-12-2006, 20:27
When faced with a First Legionary Cohort, I priortize getting the enemy to rout. Once I have the FLC on the run, I assign my cavalry's first priority as totally annihilating the FLC, specifically, to get the Eagle. After I don't see any FLC members running around, then I go after the others. I've captured a lot of eagles that way.

After that, prepare to be attacked! They want that Eagle back, and are not going to stop until they have it, or you have destroyed the faction. The ones I have had to fight the most in that situation, have been the Brutii over in Greece.

Strength and Honor,

Celt Centurion

I believe it was me who wrote that you don´t capture an eagle in a siege. Seems I was wrong, but then, the two situations in which a First Cohort was involved were

- a starving-out siege. No attack, I just waited for the enemy to drop dead

- a siege assault initiated by me.

Maybe the rules for sallies are different, maybe in the siege assault I just had bad luck not to grab the eagle - it happens in field battles as well.

After two (already :scared: ?) years of collective RTW experience we still don´t know everything about the game mechanics.

ByzantineKnight
08-22-2006, 03:27
I fought a pawnd stack of 1st Cohorts with Urbans, and Praetorian Cav how come i didnt get an eagle

Celt Centurion
08-29-2006, 01:02
Fighting, or even defeating a stack with First Cohort does not get you an Eagle.

You have to wipe out the cohort, kill them to the last man, and hopefully, you will get the eagle. There have been times which I wiped out several First Cohorts, only to get a notice of capturing only one Eagle.

Kill them to the last man, and you should get one, more often than not. Too bad that we cannot claim multiple eagles in a battle.

Strength and Honor
Celt Centurion

I fought a pawnd stack of 1st Cohorts with Urbans, and Praetorian Cav how come i didnt get an eagle

ByzantineKnight
08-29-2006, 02:15
whats the point of getting eagles?

Mr Durian
08-29-2006, 08:37
Whats a First Cohort Legion? Can I get one? Sorry I'm pretty new to this game.

YAKOBU
08-29-2006, 10:17
Hi everyone ~:wave:

ByzantineKnight - Your general who captures the eagle gets additional command stars. I believe it's +1 for each eagle captured up to a maximum of 3.

Mr Durian - A First Cohort is a unit not a legion (unless you have a full legion made up of First Cohorts :dizzy2: ). It is larger than a regular Legionary Cohort and gives a moral bonus to nearby troops.

:charge:

N.B. For Those In The Know - Yes I'm cyber-slacking, oh how I miss this game !! ~:mecry:

Ludens
08-29-2006, 18:32
Whats a First Cohort Legion? Can I get one? Sorry I'm pretty new to this game.
In the standard R:TW campaign First Cohorts are an oversized legionary cohort unit that can only be build in Rome. The Senate used to hand them out as reward for completing their missions as well, though this doesn't seem to happen anymore since the 1.2 or 1.3 patch. Legionary first cohorts give a morale bonus to nearby units by virtue of possessing an eagle (which is displayed on top of their unit banner: if you have turned off banner you won't see it). The BI campaign has a similar unit for the Western and Eastern Roman Empire in the form of the Comitates First Cohort.

ByzantineKnight
08-30-2006, 03:32
\which is displayed on top of their unit banner: if you have turned off banner you won't see it

How do you turn on\off the banners, Im playing Middle Earth Total War and They took the banners away :furious3:
Thanks

Ludens
08-30-2006, 11:22
How do you turn on\off the banners, Im playing Middle Earth Total War and They took the banners away :furious3:
[R:TW Folder]/Preferences/Preferences.txt
Show_banner: TRUE/FALSE

ByzantineKnight
08-31-2006, 02:13
[R:TW Folder]/Preferences/Preferences.txt
Show_banner: TRUE/FALSE

thanks!
one more thing, when you fight a battle they took away the battle toolbar and had the units (their cards) lined up at the bottom like MTW and then if you moved your mouse to the top middle the buttons would come down like a drop down toolbar thingie is there anyway to change that?

Ludens
08-31-2006, 11:51
one more thing, when you fight a battle they took away the battle toolbar and had the units (their cards) lined up at the bottom like MTW and then if you moved your mouse to the top middle the buttons would come down like a drop down toolbar thingie is there anyway to change that?
Same file. Set "Minimal_UI" to TRUE. And if you want to get rid of the green arrows look for the entry called "disable_arrow_markers" and set it to TRUE as well.

Caius
09-03-2006, 05:04
whats the point of getting eagles?
Whats the point?

ByzantineKnight
09-03-2006, 06:21
ByzantineKnight - Your general who captures the eagle gets additional command stars. I believe it's +1 for each eagle captured up to a maximum of 3.

is this what you want?

YAKOBU
09-03-2006, 11:17
Hi ByzantineKnight ~:wave:

Sorry to nit-pick but it was me who wrote that :eyebrows:

ByzantineKnight
09-04-2006, 03:35
Hi ByzantineKnight ~:wave:

Sorry to nit-pick but it was me who wrote that :eyebrows:

Sorry, ill fix it.

Cras
09-08-2006, 13:02
up to 3 eagles you can conquer in one battle?

hmm the most I got was 2.

the best way to conquer them (in my humble opinion) is to to fight with all cavalry armies. They rout the army quickly being overrun in so many places. And because you have so much horseman its so easy to chase the fleeing army and kill all...

satchef1
09-11-2006, 22:22
eagles are the bane of my existance! :laugh4:
was doing ok against rome until 4 of my cities ended up with these, now theyve given up attacking other factions and are concentrating on Macedon (me). All those cities have been permanatly under siege for about 50 years, Rome loose every time they attack (the AI doesnt seem to understand how to beat phalanxes in the street) but between them and Thrace thee're sapping too much of my strength for me to counter attack

i had wondered what theyre for, thanks for the heads up ~D