PDA

View Full Version : Howto:Missile unit by default no skirmish?

Ra-az
08-21-2006, 00:10
Answer:
It's not possible with 2 exceptions.
1)Only in Historic Battles IF you script it for every unit!
2)You can give them "prec" ability to remove skirmish option, but that'll make them charge after firing one volley.

That's it......
Last Edit 08-26-2006

N.B. THREAD REOPENED 08-22-2006
Hey! I looked in the BI docs in "docudemon_commands.txt" where I found the following:
---------------------------------------------------
Identifier: unit_set_skirmish_mode
Parameters: unit_label on/off
Description: Sets the skirmish melee state for the specified unit
Sample use: unit_set_skirmish_mode velites1 off
Class: UNIT_SET_SKIRMISH_MODE
Implemented: Yes
Author: Robbie
---------------------------------------------------
I'm a scripting ignoramus so at the risk of sounding stupid.
This seems like a thing I could use , is it?
---Last edited by Ra-az : 08-22-2006

If you're reading this, I guess you understood what I wanted to ask!:2thumbsup: It's sometimes difficult to think of a clear thread-title.

I want to set a specific missile unit type (let's say bucellarii...) to have skirmishing disabled by default when you start the battle.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Lord Adherbal
08-21-2006, 01:11
impossible. You can give them "prec" ability to remove skirmish option, but that'll make them charge after firing one volley.

Ra-az
08-21-2006, 01:40
Ok, that's one more idea to the scrapheap!

But at least it's nice to have a definitive answer like that.

Thx Adherbal (you just watch out Jugurtha won't get ya!)

Melea Lord
08-21-2006, 10:55
You press the button on the unit control panel then you press start battle. :laugh4:

Why do you want to do this it's so very simple to just turn it off before you start the battle. :idea2: :2thumbsup:

Lord Adherbal
08-21-2006, 12:03
Thx Adherbal (you just watch out Jugurtha won't get ya!)

I'm not the numidian traitor that worked for the Romans. I'm the carthaginian admiral that smashed the Roman fleet at Drepana ~;)

Ra-az
08-21-2006, 12:08
:helloo:
Shall I post some similar stuff in your threads :viking: Melea Lord?

Well it's my own fault, I always say 'any feedback appreciated', and this is what you get I guess!

I'm not angry , just very sad........~:mecry: You smartass you! ~;)

I'm not the numidian traitor that worked for the Romans. I'm the carthaginian admiral that smashed the Roman fleet at Drepana
Sorry Adherbal! Whada mistake to make!
~;)

Melea Lord
08-21-2006, 12:50
Heh Heh Heh! :laugh4:

Calling moi a smart ass! Lets Dual! :duel:

But seriousley why do you want them to start with skirmish off?

Personally I wish all units that can use a missle (cept elephants) would have an active skirmish button.

Oh just a question....what's the deal on an admiral called Akbar? why's he so special?

Ra-az
08-21-2006, 14:30
:2thumbsup: Gigle,

I'm creating a complete conversion of RTW, it's a SF mod based on the Warhammer40K tabletop game. I'll tell you a little story.

A Long long time ago...
I started playing WH40K because SF roleplaying games where so slow and visually disapointing. When I saw those little models, I immediatly started fantasising about putting leds in the guns and smoke effects over the table. In my mind's eye it looked great! Then I started playing and found out that tabletop games like this are even slower than rpg games! So after a year or so sold everything and kissed my fantasy goodbeye. And then............. there was TW. As soon as I saw the game I thought about rekindeling my childhood fantasy.

Some time ago I found the CAS importer and that really got me fired up.

So I just started, I'm now at the point where I have to decide and research the overall build of my mod.

And that's where my question comes in.........
I'm creating lot's of missile units, actually most of my units will be able to shoot. In WH40K you had "tactical squads"and "assault squads" I want the assault squads to stand and shoot untill they're charged (by default). So mostly it has to do with the 'feel' of the mod. It's not really a biggy but it would be a nice added dimension.

So you smart ass (lol), that's the whole story.....

About that thing with Adherbal:
There's a Belgian comics artist called Hermann that in his younger days wrote several comic-books about a (historical) Numidian prince called Jugurtha. Jugurtha's arch-enemy was his cousin Adherbal.
So I thought being 'un Belge' that's where Adherbal(the one in the forum) got his name from.
Then I made the joke and he set me straight, I never heard of the Adherbal he mentioned by the way!

So not only a smart-ass also a nosy bugger ,eey!

And now we duel!!! :duel:

Melea Lord
08-21-2006, 17:53
ML (me):Very well. Charge! :horn: :charge:

ML: What you running away for!?

RA (you): I have skirmish on! :jumping:

ML: Well take it off!

RA: I can't do it! I need a mod!

ML: Yes you can! Just put your hand on the mouse and move it on the skirmish button.

RA: Yes.

ML: Then press the button.

RA: Wow! It's a miracle! Thanks! :stupido2:

ML: Oh and another thing.

RA: Yeah?

ML: Did you know that skirmishers suck against cavalry.

RA: Ahh :ahh:

RA: I think I've lost. :skull:

ML: Ya think?

Heh Heh Heh! :laugh4:

Ra-az
08-22-2006, 01:12
Soooooooooooooo... you killed me.....real smart!!!

:furious3:NOW WHO"S GOING TO FINISH MY MOD, EEEH!!!:furious3:

. I'LL TELL YOU WHO!!

. YOU

. ML :ballchain: ............... RA :flybye:
.............. :medievalcheers:

Ra-az
08-22-2006, 05:23
Ok back to my serious self.........Thread Edited On top!

From now on I'll summarize on top of this thread so people won't have to read al that clutter.

Monkwarrior
08-22-2006, 11:39
I'm not expert in battle scripting, but it seems to me that the command is used for historical battles or something like that, where the units are fixed.

This is important, as you have to use the name (and number) of the unit, and this is not possible with random battles generated from a campaign. (IMO):inquisitive:

Bwian
08-22-2006, 17:47
Basically....you can't make this work automatically for any given unit. I thought about making a similar mod using 40K units ( I have a few meshes still knocking around ) and have made workable Dreadnoughts and Wraithlords.

In the end, though, I gave up on it. The missile troops just don't behave properly for this sort of thing. You get volley fire only, no independant firing, and the missile troops behave as you have found out.

You have to manually set the units skirmish setting every time the battle starts, which isn't really very good. The AI won't play the game that way either..... you can't force it to do the same. You can make it work for multi-player, but no campaign for single play would be possible.

Ra-az
08-23-2006, 00:12
First thx Monkwarrior, 4 feedback!

I thought about making a similar mod using 40K units ( I have a few meshes still knocking around ) and have made workable Dreadnoughts and Wraithlords. .
A.H. you never told me this, you evil genius!

In the end, though, I gave up on it. The missile troops just don't behave properly for this sort of thing. You get volley fire only, no independant firing, and the missile troops behave as you have found out.

Hmmm.

You have to manually set the units skirmish setting every time the battle starts, which isn't really very good. The AI won't play the game that way either..... you can't force it to do the same. You can make it work for multi-player, but no campaign for single play would be possible.
Hm, and that's a real ballbreaker...I never thought about this (deep enough)...
How did the guys from NTW handle this I wonder? Adherbal?

I had a big reply written, but then Bwian's reply basicly burst my bubble in afterburst, I'll have to think about this................

b.t.w. Bwian, I never got the animation list (attachement missing), could you resend?

SiskinEDGE
08-19-2008, 18:40
There is a way to make the skirmish mode disabled by default, you have to edit the AI formations file a guide is right here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96419&highlight=formations
the magic little part you have to modify is this:
default_melee_state
it controlls wether a unit in a particular formation will have fire at will, defence mode or SKIRMISH MODE on by defualt. I want to give you a warning though by adding this to every single missle unit type the skirmish mode will not always be turned off. This is beacuse sometimes it dosen't arrange your troops in a given formation and just puts them all in a line. to make sure it is always disabled instead of like a third of the time then you have to try makeing new formations. This also has the added advantage that the AI will also have skirmish mode disabled as I am sure is what you really want. I personally am trying to work out how to use this formations file myself in order to make the AI not be so crap in custom battles for my star wars mod. this method while time consueming and unreliable dosen't have any bad side effects to it that I know of (other than eat all of your time). it is effective in any battle that the AI or yourself do where a formation that you spefifyied the defualt melee state for as disabled for skirmish mode.

I hope this awnsers your question,

Red Spot
08-20-2008, 01:01
exactly as the previous poster says, its 'easy' ...

(to all you 'no-sayers': make sure you know what you're talking about before you smack someone's hopes down the drain ....)