PDA

View Full Version : Oda Campaign (Help!)

Scurvy
08-21-2006, 12:35
I'm relatively new to stw, having only played it a bit before mtw came out, i'v started a game as oda in 1530 (expert), and have expanded fairly easily against rebels, however just as i settled down for a few years to consolidate some huge rebel armies started to attack me aswell as hojo, and now im struggling to hold on to what i have, is it best to attack hojo and defend vs rebels or the other way round (i cant defend vs both because i'd run out of men and money) ie. which of the 2 is more aggresive on the ai (or are they the same

(i will try to post some scrn shots but my print scrn button is stuck)

KrooK
08-21-2006, 13:39
Attack rebels - they don't help each other so much:)
Hojo is extremely agressive but if you are having common border, it means that they conquered half of Japan. You won't defeat Hojo, unless you capture some rich provinces.:2thumbsup:

Sasaki Kojiro
08-21-2006, 14:05
With archers in mino and owari you should be invincible.

phred
08-21-2006, 20:21
With archers in mino and owari you should be invincible.

Likewise with musketeers. Take advantage (if you haven't already) of the bonuses you get for training ashigarus. They're cheap and with a little valor they do OK. Combine yari ashis with musketeers once you can access firearms and you'll have a powerful but cheap army.

Scurvy
08-21-2006, 22:49
thanks for input - i fought a huge battle vs hojo when my dirt cheap ashigarus routed them and they seem much less dangerous now....although havnt gone awway completely... likewise i have had a few defensive battles with rebels and despite losing a good general have held fairly well (thanks for advice about archers, they are soo good compared to mtw) the muskateers are useful but i think i prefer using the archers (they seem more effective)

Sasaki Kojiro
08-22-2006, 00:01
Muskets are most usefull on bridge maps and flat maps. Both are rather rare in the campaign game.

Drisos
08-22-2006, 12:58
The Oda has excellent defendable regions iirc. Use lots of archers, backed up with a few yari samurai, if you don't have the money, ashigaru. if you get to a later stage of the game, muskets are indeed very, useful. it's easy defeat hundreds of enemies by defending rivers with them. if your border has no rivers, plant an emissary in hojo's HQ, Shimosa, and attack them by sea. If you take 8 muskets, 6 yari samurai and 2 cavalry there you'd be able to kill thousands of the hojo army. :2thumbsup:

I'd say, use your emissary to bribe the more advanced rebel armies. defeat the ashigaru armies. Once you have kawachi, tamba and wakasa, start fighting the hojo, preferably by sea, if they are already close by land. or of course, if not the hojo but the uesugi or takeda have gotten the upper hand, fight them. ~;)

btw, you can make screenshots with F2 as well iirc. they will appear in the folder 'tgas' in you shogun main folder. however you need a program like 'irfanview' to convert these to .jpg pictures, so you can post them.

:bow:

phred
08-23-2006, 00:08
Muskets are most usefull on bridge maps and flat maps. Both are rather rare in the campaign game.

That's true. In my last Oda campaign I used armies that were mostly muskets and yari ashigarus. Those armies were great when I was on the defensive but they were poor when attacking. I won most of my battles, but when I lost, I lost badly.