PDA

View Full Version : Balancing the cost of units.

Hanny
08-22-2006, 16:56
Tentative first pass at a unifome cost per unit, the aim being to get a cost per man so that all units are realtive to each other in cost, but not neccisarliy in actual number of men in the unit, so as to allow historical unit sizes.

step one
hp`s of men in unit, including officers, EL, siege wpns crew.
Attribute`s of seafaring/hide/frighten/command/run amok/cantabrian/command each add 5% to base A hit points.
Formation class. add 10% to base A for Phalnx/test/wedge ability

this is the value of the men in then unit (A).

step two
attack profile. attack factor+attack bonus factor if charging+missile amount. Increae by 5% per ability of AP,BP SP,Pike PREC, Launch, Blade, piercing, pretty much everthing that gives a bonus.

This is the attack profile (B), speed of attacks is left out atm because i dont know the best way to factor it in.

step 3.
Defense profile
Armour+shld+skill

Plus 5% per Testudo/phalanx/wedge/shield wall

This is the defense profile (C)

step 4.
Mental, less %5 if untidy, +5% diciplened or impet.

This mental value is (D)

B+C+D times A = unit value at the level of representation, it will be different on whatever setting your using, so a number of different sets of export_descr_unit will be required, to giv ethe desired number of men in the unit, (personally i go for huge and design all units to end up at the required numerical strength at that point and never bother with other settings) for those who prefer differnt visual represenation, ie the single base cost of the units at present, is misrepresenting any other increase or decrease in unit size other than the one it was designed for, skewing the game considerably, for example:

stat_cost 0, 70, 30, 30, 40, 220, is the value of the german peltast, but you get more or less men depending on the unit scale you use, but the changed cost is not being reflected in this change of the level of representation, hence thye need for mutiple export_descr_unit files.

So an example of what i get so far, side note, include officers for the maj or diciplened units, but not on the scale of the Roman command and control which ought to be the top dog.

type roman hastati
dictionary roman_hastati ; Hastati
category infantry
class light
voice_type Light_1
soldier roman_hastati, 29, 0, 0.45
officer roman_early_centurion
officer roman_early_centurion
officer roman_early_standard
mount_effect horse -18, chariot -25, camel -18, elephant -50
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, hardy
formation 1, 2, 0.7, 1.5, 10, square, shield_wall
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 11, 2, pilum, 35, 2, thrown, blade, piercing, spear, 0 ,1
stat_pri_attr prec, thrown ap
stat_sec 5, 2, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, sword, 0 ,0.8
stat_sec_attr area, light_spear, spear_bonus_10, ap
stat_pri_armour 8, 8, 7, leather
stat_sec_armour 0, 1, flesh
stat_heat 3
stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0
stat_mental 14, disciplined, trained
stat_charge_dist 40
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 0, 440, 95, 50, 70, 440
ownership roman

So at huge setting to represent a Legions 1200 Hast at 10:1 ratio.

A) is 116 for men in unit, plus 6 for officers, i think they count as 2 hp each, if thats wrong someone tell me so.
A=122

B)11+2+2 +20%
B=18

C)8+8+7+5%
C=25.3

D)14=10%
D=15.5

(B)18+(c)25.3+(D)15.5=58.8, move back a decimal place to get 5.58, times number of (A) and you get 664 to purchase, and mainataince cost is arbitarily picked at 20% of purchase cost, making it 133.

Now since another part of the process is to give more unit density to the game, darth mod does wonder when it has more units, we dont want to reduce the number of units by making them to expensive to build and maintain, and the important point to remeber is the relative cost per man is whats giving us the balance we are after in the unit cost, the national economy to pay and ipkeep the level of unit density, is another problem all togther.

Hanny
08-22-2006, 17:26
Edit, just rembered that you have a second weapon system, which should be added in at step two, but you got the general thrust of the concept already i hope?.

Any thoughts?.

Veresov
09-01-2006, 00:34
Edit, just rembered that you have a second weapon system, which should be added in at step two, but you got the general thrust of the concept already i hope?.

Any thoughts?.

System is too complicated.