PDA

View Full Version : The campaign map`s edge in battles

Rex_Pelasgorum
08-24-2006, 19:46
From ever since i played the first PC game having a "campaign" map, i always kept asking myself, what happened when you where at the "edge" of that map, and how the game designer manage to solve the problems caming out of this.

In the very eary games, whith cars and races for example, or etc, the edge of the map was represented most of the times by a sort of invisible barrier. You couldnt go further.

On other games, such as RTS`s, the edge of the map is where there is no more space, where you can corner your enemy, where practically all ends.

Howewer, there are games in which the campaign map represents a real region... a huge geographicall region, in which you can fly, lead your armies, etc.I always flied in the aircraft simulators to the edge of the map, to see the way it was made by the producers. Most of the time, if not all the time, the map was spheric, altough in the game interface and the menu map, it appeared flat and whith deffinite ends. Going out trough one end, you end on the opposite side. SOmetimes. SOmetimes, there is a CTD... or anyway, something happened.

Regarding Rome Total War... has anyone so farr played a battle at the edge of the campaign map ? If you played, how was the scenery in the battle ? For example, if you where fighting on a hill in the most southern region of Egipt, you could see to the extrem south a landscape from Hiperboreea ?!:balloon2:

DUTCH-BUDDHA
08-25-2006, 05:13
yea i saw that 2 u coattend see u enemies

Epistolary Richard
08-25-2006, 14:26
This question really doesn't have anything to do with modding. I'd normally move it to the Colosseum, but as you're a JM and wouldn't be able to post there I'll move it to the Entrance Hall.