PDA

View Full Version : Help Vanilla balance mod is messing up my game

Mr Durian
09-05-2006, 14:00
Since I posted this in the mod forum but got no answers at all I decided to post it here.

I have the original Rome:Total War (No BI installed) with the 1.5 patch installed. I downloaded the VBM v1.1. Afterwards whenever I try to start a new campaign the game just goes straight back to the main menu. How can I fix this? Also after I unistall VBM my game keeps crashing back to the desktop.

ByzantineKnight
09-05-2006, 14:55
Turn on the show_err switch and then do Alt-F4 when it goes back to the menu, it will pop up an error message and tell you whats wrong.

Barbarossa82
09-06-2006, 20:11
Hi Mr Durian,
Sounds like my mod that you downloaded, sorry if I didn't see your posts over at the modding forum, but I don't visit it very often.
Obviously I take full responsibility for anything the mod might have done since I am its author, but I have not had reports of problems in general.
You say that you have Rome: Total War with no BI installed. However, you don't mention what version you have. I suspect that the problem is that you don't have vanilla v 1.5, which is the latest patch. Vanilla Balance Mod is compatible ONLY with RTW v1.5 (with or without BugFixer). I hoped this was clear from the install instructions but perhaps I could have included a more prominent warning.
Because the ununstall procedure for VBM restores RTW v1.5 files (rather than whatever you had originally), it wouldn't reverse the problem. Your best bet is to completely uninstall RTW, and then patch up to 1.5 if you wish to use VBM. If it's any consolation, your saved games should be completely unaffected and can be preserved.

Mr Durian
09-08-2006, 11:53
Hi Mr Durian,
Sounds like my mod that you downloaded, sorry if I didn't see your posts over at the modding forum, but I don't visit it very often.
Obviously I take full responsibility for anything the mod might have done since I am its author, but I have not had reports of problems in general.
You say that you have Rome: Total War with no BI installed. However, you don't mention what version you have. I suspect that the problem is that you don't have vanilla v 1.5, which is the latest patch. Vanilla Balance Mod is compatible ONLY with RTW v1.5 (with or without BugFixer). I hoped this was clear from the install instructions but perhaps I could have included a more prominent warning.
Because the ununstall procedure for VBM restores RTW v1.5 files (rather than whatever you had originally), it wouldn't reverse the problem. Your best bet is to completely uninstall RTW, and then patch up to 1.5 if you wish to use VBM. If it's any consolation, your saved games should be completely unaffected and can be preserved.

Yes I said I had v1.5 in my post.

Mr Durian
09-09-2006, 16:34
Turn on the show_err switch and then do Alt-F4 when it goes back to the menu, it will pop up an error message and tell you whats wrong.

ok I did that and this is what I got (sorry for the huge pic) what do I do now?

https://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9200/untitledgp2.jpg

Byzantine Emperor
09-09-2006, 17:35
Right. If you go into your RTW folder and do a search for descr_strat, then open the file with notepad. Use 'go to' and type in 1498 .

At the line you will see a building entry something like:

{
type core_building (name of core buildins)
}

if the settlement is a town, make it governors_house
If it's a large town make it governors_villa
Minor city: governors_palace

There should not be a settlement bigger than minor city.

You can see the city level just above the building info where it says
level village/town/large_town/city

Barbarossa82
09-11-2006, 16:30
Thanks for dealing with that Byzantine Emperor! Do you happen to know if this is an error within VBM that I need to deal with or if it's just a freak occurrence? I play with the exact same version of VBM and have never had any such errors but maybe it requires special circumstances to trigger it?

Byzantine Emperor
09-11-2006, 18:04
I don't know. I never had any problems with my version.