PDA

View Full Version : How can I make battles last longer (higher hit points and morale)

Mr Durian
09-10-2006, 08:12
Any thing I can download to this? I'm wondering has the vanilla balance mod done this or is there something compatible with the VBM that has fixed this?

professorspatula
09-10-2006, 21:13
Easy way slow down battles quickly for yourself is this:

copy your export_descr_unit.txt file and call it original export_unit_descr.txt file. The file is found here: your RTW base folder\Data (eg: c:\rometotalwar\data)

Open up the export_descr_unit.txt file using notepad.

Find the first unit you come across, and at the end of the stat_pri line will be something like this: , 25 ,1

Highlight and copy that part including the comma. It must be exactly as it is in the file.

Use the replace command (CTRL H)

Where it says 'Find What:' paste the line you copied.

Where it says 'Replace With:' paste the line again, then change the 1 to 0.6

Then click replace all button. You've lowered the lethality of most units' attacks considerably (don't worry about the missile units, they don't seem affected by lowering the lethality, at least not by any great margin).

Now change the 'Find What' bit so the last number is 0.87,
eg , 25 ,0.87

Now change the Replace With Part: to 0.54

Click replace all.

That alters a few more unit attack abilities.

Finally, change the Find What: part so the last number is 0.73
Change the replace with number to 0.45

Replace all.

That's the last of the unit attack lethality altered. The first 0.6 number refers to sword units, cavalry spears, pikemen attacks etc. The second number you changed to 0.54 is the lethality of 2 handed falx and axes. The last number is the lethality of spearmen and a few dagger wielding peasants. These numbers can be anything you want. The lower the number you change it to, the slower the killrate.

Next morale.

Find the first unit you come across in the file. Copy the stat_mental line up to the first comma. Eg: stat_mental 3,

Again, use the Replace command. In the Find What: part, paste the line you copied, but change the number to 16. You need to change the units with the highest morale first. In the replace with: part, paste the same line, but add a few numbers to the total. For example, stat_mental 16, becomes stat_mental 20,

Click Replace all.

Now you need to change the Find What: number to 15, then change the Replace with number to 19 (best to stick to an easy formula, eg add +3, or +4 or whatever each time). Replace all, then just lower each the numbers by 1 each time and replace all until you're changing units that have 1 morale. Finally you will have added extra morale to every unit.

Save the file.

If you've done everything right, you've lowered the kill rate by a fair amount all by yourself and it should only have taken you about 3 or 4 minutes, which is considerably less time than it took me to write this.

I haven't altered the hitpoints, but if you want to do that yourself, you can use the Replace all function for the Stat_Health 1, 0 line. I prefer to leave hitpoints alone.

Have fun.