PDA

View Full Version : unable to exit game

Galagros
09-14-2006, 07:07
I just got my new computer today and am able to play the game after changing the antialiasing setting on my graphics card, but whenever I try to exit the game my computer freezes. I just get the picture of my mouse on the "yes" button inside the "Do you really want to quit?" box. I was able to hit the windows key once to get out of it, but have also had to manually turn off my computer, too. Does anyone know what's causing the problem? It's not stopping me from playing the game or anything, but it is rather annoying.

caravel
09-14-2006, 09:43
As a test, try setting your desktop colour depth to 16 bit and your resolution to 1024*768. Also set the ingame battle and campaign map resolutions to the same. See if that makes any difference.

R'as al Ghul
09-14-2006, 11:52
I was able to hit the windows key once to get out of it, but have also had to manually turn off my computer, too.

:stunned: Why don't you use CTRL+ALT+Del to open the Task-Manager?
From the Task-Manager you can easily quit any application including MTW.
Turning off the machine is not a good idea and may cause harm to your system....

R'as

Galagros
09-14-2006, 15:30
As a test, try setting your desktop colour depth to 16 bit and your resolution to 1024*768. Also set the ingame battle and campaign map resolutions to the same. See if that makes any difference.

I used to have my desktop at 1024x768 and play the battles at 800x600 and the campaign at 1024x768. Now I've been playing battles at 800x600, campaign at 1280x1024 and have my desktop at 1280x1024. I'll try your suggestion though, thanks.

:stunned: Why don't you use CTRL+ALT+Del to open the Task-Manager?
From the Task-Manager you can easily quit any application including MTW.
Turning off the machine is not a good idea and may cause harm to your system....

R'as

ctrl+atl+del didn't work.

caravel
09-14-2006, 16:46
ctrl+atl+del didn't work.

Are you sure? Ctrl Alt Del not working would indicate a pretty serious crash.

Galagros
09-14-2006, 20:59
Are you sure? Ctrl Alt Del not working would indicate a pretty serious crash.

So far I have only played the game 3 times on my new computer so I haven't been able to test everything yet, but the first time it froze, I used to windows key, the second time the windows key didn't work so I tried ctrl+alt+del ... that didn't work either. I tried them both multiple times and neither worked, but after a while I could move my real mouse (desktop, bot in game) around a little, but I was still stuck with the frozen game screen. I had to hold the power button in on my tower and turn it off that way. The third time it happened was this morning. I tried to windows key and it worked again. :dizzy2:

EDIT: This time I also switched my resolutions, but forgot to change from 32 bit color to 16.

Alexios
09-14-2006, 22:25
Hmmm... unable to exit the game? Wish I had that problem. That way when my wife tells me to "turn it off" I can say "I can't!" and continue playing. :laugh4: But seriously though, I don't think <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Del> works when in MTW. I've tried it several times (active game or frozen) and it's always a no-go. The only system key I've noticed that works is the Windows key, which takes you out of the game (while it's still running) and back to your desktop. I can't even tell you how often I've accidently hit that doggone thing instead of <Ctr> while in the heat of battle. :furious3: One of these days I'm going to get the pliers and yank that dude from my keyboard!

Anyway, what kind of graphics card are you using in your new system?

Martok
09-14-2006, 22:44
Galagros, can you at least get back to the desktop using Ctrl+Alt+Escape, and *then* exit the game via Ctrl+Alt+Delete? (I've had to do that a couple times before, and it usually works.)

Galagros
09-14-2006, 23:16
Alexios - my new card is a BIOSTAR GEFORCE 7300GS 512MB PCIE

Martok - I never tried CTRL+ALT+ESC, but I will try it when I play next, which may be tonight, but probably not until tomorrow morning. Yay for having no work or college on fridays and sundays! :2thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the responses guys.

Galagros
09-15-2006, 07:02
I tried using CTRL+ALT+ESC this time and nothing happened. So then I tried CTRL+ALT+DEL and nothing happened. When I pressed the windows key my cursor showed up and I could move it around, but still do nothing. I had to turn off my computer manually again.

R'as al Ghul
09-15-2006, 10:20
If you cannot open the Task-Manager by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL you have a serious problem.
I know for a fact that this does work with MTW, because while modding I often come across crashes and the only way to exit the game then is to call up the TM and kill the MTW process.
CTRL-Tab should also bring you to the desktop, whether from the campmap or from battle or map editor doesn't matter.
It could be a video driver issue as others have indicated.

R'as

Puzz3D
09-15-2006, 12:43
I tried using CTRL+ALT+ESC this time and nothing happened. So then I tried CTRL+ALT+DEL and nothing happened.
Use CTRL+ALT+DEL before the game crashes or ALT+TAB to the desktop and then use it. Don't press QUIT in the MTW menu because that causes the freeze from which you may not be able to recover.

caravel
09-15-2006, 13:21
I tried using CTRL+ALT+ESC this time and nothing happened. So then I tried CTRL+ALT+DEL and nothing happened. When I pressed the windows key my cursor showed up and I could move it around, but still do nothing. I had to turn off my computer manually again.

Does CTRL+ALT+DEL ever work, even when the game is not running?

Try CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, this is the true key combination for the windows task manager. CTRL+ALT+DEL is for Windows Security (note: if you're using the welcome screen you won't see windows security only task manager).

The fact that the windows key does force the desktop to appear is worrying. It may be that CTRL+ALT+DEL is opening the task manager window in the background, hitting the windows key afterwards may show you the desktop and the task manager.

I think the cause may be your graphics card and it's newer drivers. There may not be alot you can do about this. You can try older drivers if you wish.

Galagros
09-15-2006, 15:25
Use CTRL+ALT+DEL before the game crashes or ALT+TAB to the desktop and then use it. Don't press QUIT in the MTW menu because that causes the freeze from which you may not be able to recover.

...good idea. I didn't even think about doing that.

professorspatula
09-15-2006, 22:38
Does the Num lock light go on/off when you press the button? If it doesn't, that's usually a clear sign that no amount of CTRL+ALT+DEL type things will work and a reset is required.