PDA

View Full Version : Retinue after death & other misc.

HighLord z0b
09-20-2006, 06:21
What happens to a leaders retinue/retainers after their death? I'm playing RTW:BI for the first time and my faction leader is approaching 60, should I move his retinue to the faction heir or someone else before he dies?

Another question is how do you remove a group formation (single line; double line; mixed double line etc.) once you used it? I moved a full stack army up the field using mixed doubel but then when I tried to change it to my own formations everything went wacky. for example I wanted to rearrange my front line spearmen but when selected a two units grouped and then clicked and dragged one was fine and the other was way out of whack.

To be honest I can never get the army to move in those preset formations very well if at all, generally it just keeps them in the formation I had to begin with but I find it difficult to change once it's set.

Ciaran
09-20-2006, 11:08
As for the retinures, they vanish when the character dies. So if you have any very nifty one (like those with a personal name or some that give great boni) you should move it to someone else.

The formations are, in my opinion, rather useless in RTW, they tend to have a mind of their own when it comes to where a certain unit within the formation should be. My tip is, draw up your units the way you want to deploy them manually (and one at a time! Else you´ll experience they´ll develop a mind on their own again - in RTW any group selection "remembers" it´s setup when it was first selected as a group - nothing to do with the group button, by the way, selecting multiple units is enough - and tries to go back to that).

If you want to order about individual or a selection of units from a larger group it´s best use the group function on the larger group. Whenever you select the larger group and give it an order, all the units will redeploy to the way they were when the numbered group was formed.

In some aspects this is better than the way MTW handled it, but it can become a nuisance in certain situations.

HighLord z0b
09-21-2006, 03:20
Thanks, I generally use pause to put the troops where I want them individually anyway as it makes for better ordered units and no huge gaps. However when it comes to full stack armies it really becomes a pain to move them all at once.

So is there anyway to cancel a formation once it's chosen?

Severous
09-21-2006, 14:03
Hi

If I remember to use groups I will keep them very fluid. Ungrouping or regouping troops as the need changes.

For deeper formations I tend to use two or three groups, of one line each, one behind the other.

Dont get the picture perfect layout of a single group but the troops appear more responsive.