PDA

View Full Version : A Rough Month for Total War . . .

Spidey
09-22-2006, 20:44
So, I got a new computer, tried to install MTW and, darned if it didn't work. I posted everywhere, but to no avail.

So, I bought RTW. Yeah, paid cash for it. And not the $29.99 CompUsa price, either. Couldn't wait for the shipping. I bought bought it at game store for . . . eh, more than that.

Started playing it. Read the book. Studied the map. Read Froggy's guide. Started staying up until dawn chasing stinking Gauls across the mountains.

Finished my first short campaign, then I read about the mods. Seemed interesting, particulalry since I could do a clean install, copy the directories and have both a mod (or three) and the vanilla version on my computer.

Great fun, right?

So I unistalled the game. Reinstalled it. And now it won't run.

When I try to run it, I get a message that says: "Please insert the correct CDROM." There are three. I've tried each one. Then I cleaned them all. Then I cleaned them again. They sparkle, their so friggin clean. Still the game doesn't run.

Now I've spent, what, sixty bucks on Total War games (seventy if you count STW), and I cannot run one of them on my computer.

Please, please someone help me.

Spidey

P.S. Yes, I do have an official version of the game, screaming red box and everything.

highlanddave
09-22-2006, 21:10
i have heard of this type problem many times. it appears that you need to clean your registry of total war stuff. then you will be able to reinstall.

i found this in the freeware section of hardware/software forum in case you do not own a registry cleaner:http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/archives/reg-cleaner4.3.htm

Svenska
09-22-2006, 21:18
I'm sooooo afraid to install any mods.

CrossLOPER
09-22-2006, 22:01
I'm sooooo afraid to install any mods.

Who wouldn't be? The TW games are as unstable as they are fun.

Galagros
09-23-2006, 00:27
TW games are no fun without mods. And I've NEVER had any problems with mods (unless they were pretty far away from being finished).

CountArach
09-23-2006, 11:08
I love mods, just make sure that you have multiple copies of your game files, or better yet, burn them to a DVD. This saves space as you don't need a backup.

I too have never had a trouble with a single mod.

Lurker on the Threshold
09-23-2006, 11:13
If your worried about unstable mods try the XL mod or medmod. Both caused me no problems and were easy to install. XL was point/click wait for the load....play. More than a year and not one lock up.

Spidey
09-23-2006, 19:12
HighlandDave:

Thank you so very much for the information. I cleaned the registry and now the game works like a dream (RTW, that is).

Thanks again. You just made my, eh, month.

Spidey

highlanddave
09-23-2006, 20:43
you are quite welcome, spidey. have fun.:2thumbsup: