PDA

View Full Version : arcade style battles?

mordridius
10-14-2006, 20:45
just wondering what these are like. im well into a campaign now and cant change it

GreatEmperor
10-15-2006, 09:04
It means fighting without a time limit, without fatique (your soldiers getting tired) and without an ammo limit so you can just fire the whole lot without running out.

Monarch
10-15-2006, 16:25
It means fighting without a time limit, .

Not neccesarily, I play normal battles with timer off. Personally I'm thinking time limits are more arcady, I mean there the complete opposite of realism :P Plus its an absolute joke when you are the victim of pathfinding bugs in a siege, finally manouvre to time square, about to take out a unit of peasants defending it, and oh yes you guessed it, the timers makes you lose.

King Henry V
10-15-2006, 16:37
I don't understand how there is no morale. Do you have to kill all your opponents, or is there a rout feature?

professorspatula
10-15-2006, 16:40
I think sometimes arcade battles are a bit more difficult. You can't rely on routing enemy troops as easy, plus archers and skirmishers fire missiles endlessly at your troops. You also no longer have an advantage when it comes to managing fatigue of your troops, as it's not a factor.

Personally, I'd have preferred they ofted varying levels of 'arcade'. Ie: 2x/3x/4x ammo, fatigue and morale etc. It's either one extreme or the other.

I don't understand how there is no morale. Do you have to kill all your opponents, or is there a rout feature?

Units do still rout if I remember, but only when nearly all the unit has been killed. Possibly they just fight to the death, either way there's no more cavalry charge into the rear of the enemy and automatically routing and killing them in 5 seconds.

Siris
10-16-2006, 18:52
Hm, getting to fight the enemy units nearly to the last man without them routing with a simple light calverly flank in the rear sounds most intriguing... however the endless arrows does not!

I'll consider doing this when I start my new campaign tonight as the Greeks. I've always hated the fact that I kill about 20% of the enemy troops, then they route, and I am forced to mow them down with light calverly as they flee, just so I wont have to fight the entire army yet again.