PDA

View Full Version : Visit to M2TW Dev studio - post your must-know questions here!

Epistolary Richard
10-17-2006, 09:01
As previously announced:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=70183

I've been invited to visit the M2TW development studio in about a week's time, meet some of the team behind the new game and get an 'under the hood' look at the game itself.

The primary purpose of the visit will be to have a look at the moddability of the new game, but there should be a chance to play around with the full, final version of the game and ask questions direct to the developers.

This is a chance to ask questions directly to the men who made the game - so fire away with what you want to know!

Chad
10-17-2006, 09:36
Can there be Queens:dizzy2:

Little Legioner
10-17-2006, 09:57
First off kudos to CA for their community support. I hope your visit be useful for modder community.

1- I'm wondering that how is gonna be kill rate & movement speed moddability of the game.
2- Will there be any modding tools by CA such Bethesda's TES Construction set.
3- Will there be empty faction slots for further mod developments in Mtw 2?
4- Will there be any contest between modder teams such as Epic's "make something unreal"

Have a good trip Episto :2thumbsup:

Prince of the Poodles
10-17-2006, 10:11
If you could pass on how much enjoyment so many get out of their game, it would really be appreciated...

Also, has morale been upped, or are routs on impact to be expected? Thats what I would ask.

JR-
10-17-2006, 11:02
all of Soulflames modding questions that were never answered. :)

Little Legioner
10-17-2006, 11:03
all of Soulflames modding questions that were never answered. :)

Where is it?

Furious Mental
10-17-2006, 11:16
What are all the unit special abilities (besides putting stakes in the ground)?

spong
10-17-2006, 11:36
I only have one question but its not related to modding.

Have the combat animations including the special kills been better synchronised and ironed out since the demo? Are we still going to see soldiers stabbing at nothing or in the wrong direction?

Ok so thats kinda two questions but they are the same thing :D.

maestro
10-17-2006, 12:32
I'd just like you to say thanks to the team for many, many fine years of enjoyable gaming :2thumbsup: (even if MTW was too easy ~;))

JR-
10-17-2006, 13:12
this would do for a start:
> max # of provinces
> max # of factions
> max # of unit types
> max size of map
> how christian/muslim reformation/schism events can be accomodated
> can we force linear multi-part year progression

:D

|Heerbann|_Di3Hard
10-17-2006, 13:24
2 things:

Very important - How many Units can the engine handle on an up to date computer.

The maps... Are they small and ugly like RTW or big and tactical interesting like MTW Vi?

Thank you.

Best Regards
Heerbann_Di3Hard

TB666
10-17-2006, 13:40
The maps... Are they small and ugly like RTW or big and tactical interesting like MTW Vi?

Big and tactical :2thumbsup:
CA already confirmed that.

Soulflame
10-17-2006, 13:51
Note that these aren't real questions, but rather keywords to invite a conversation (I don't like making premade questions and just reading them, this way I'll have more interaction).

Modding:
1. Harcoded Limits. Which removed, altered etc.
2. Faction Limits (21? 30?)
3. In-game map/campaign/battle editor?
4. AI moddable? In which fashion?
5. Any mod tools planned? (editors, import/export etc)
6. Playermade cutscenes? Tools?
7. 3d format same as RTW? How about the individuality of soldiers?
8. Fatigue moddable?
9. Movement speed per unit moddable? Chance to hit? (killrate)
10. Example(s) of something that wasn’t moddable in RTW, but is in Med2

Those are the questions from my original thread, which are still somewhere in the CA pipeline ;).

Little Legioner
10-17-2006, 13:52

Map's are gonna be same size with RTW, at least if we get reference the screenshots. But i hope i've been mistaken. Because i'm a small map hater too :sweatdrop:

*Edit*
TB666@
Is there any official info about bigger camp battlefields?

TB666
10-17-2006, 14:10
*Edit*
TB666@
Is there any official info about bigger camp battlefields?
Well CA has said in interviews that the maps are bigger and offer more tactics from the terrain.
Mean, just look at one of those huge castles, those things are the same size as the maps in RTW. If the maps were just as small then there would be no room for the attacking army.

Edit: Well I found this so far
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/medieval2totalwar/news.html?sid=6156383

Little Legioner
10-17-2006, 14:23
Well CA has said in interviews that the maps are bigger and offer more tactics from the terrain.
Mean, just look at one of those huge castles, those things are the same size as the maps in RTW. If the maps were just as small then there would be no room for the attacking army.

Well, i mean camp battles not camp siege battles. I've seen many screenshots and map seen smaller same as RTW. Just take a look at them.

https://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4595/comparisonat3.jpg

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
10-17-2006, 14:26
Will a Map Editior Be Included?

TB666
10-17-2006, 14:31
Well, i mean camp battles not camp siege battles. I've seen many screenshots and map seen smaller same as RTW. Just take a look at them.

https://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4595/comparisonat3.jpg
Interesting but as you can see the link I provided it clearly states larger battlefields.
Still searching for more links.

LadyAnn
10-17-2006, 22:29
I would like to know:
Modding related:
- Can we load/save preset armies from/to ASCII-readable files

MP only:
- Do we still use gamespy as MP hosts
- Does Ignore work on MP foyer
- Can we be more renaissance in fonts and be pleasant to the eyes (instead of nintendo-esque TV-resolution)

Hanny
10-18-2006, 11:32
can we have a range of hieghts generated for the models, its rather pointles haveing them graphical look different only to spoil that effort by haveing them all the same 5" 8 men, can we have like Massive did in LOTR, have a range of model hieghts incorporated so as to enhance the visual apparence still further in terms of reality for a unit.

The Blind Samurai
10-18-2006, 15:36
will you be able to mod the sound file

Zatoichi
10-19-2006, 07:48
OK - so these aren't modding questions, but I'd still like to get answers!

How is retraining handled in M2TW - same as RTW or will there be limits like STW and MTW?

Will the AI retrain units after battles where possible (ie after winning a siege as either attacker or defender)?

Will the AI coordinate its armies better on the campaign map rather than sending small leaderless stacks? (There was some improvement in BI over RTW in this respect, so I'm quite hopeful).

Is there any room for me in your rucksack? I'd quite like a trip to the CA develpoment studio as well...

Faenaris
10-19-2006, 16:18
I'm just repeating some points:

1) Faction limit, is it 20 or 30?
2) Provinces limit?
3) Unit limits? Model limits?
4) Scripting is the same as in RTW?
5) Are there gonna be official modding tools? If so, which ones?
6) Will the full game be "packed" like the demo? Or is it more open?

That's about it for modding questions. Now, some other questions:

1) How much has the "protectorate" option been improved?
2) Changing cities to castles: Can a large city (a fully built one) be converted back to a castle? If so, will it start as a "lowly" castle again or will it be a higher tier castle to represent the upgraded status of the city?
3) How much time has been put in AI programming?
4) How much does M2TW resemble MTW? Some "small things" (like civil wars) appear to be cut. Is this true?

King Noob the Stupid
10-19-2006, 17:34
Not modding related and I donÄt know if it's been said yet, but:
Can factions re-emerge?

Martok
10-20-2006, 00:24
Not modding related and I donÄt know if it's been said yet, but:
Can factions re-emerge?
I second this question as well. Related to that, I also second Faenaris in asking if civil wars are in or out.

Finally, will we see hero generals show up as in MTW (i.e., El Cid, William Wallace, Joan of Arc, etc.)?

Dutch_guy
10-20-2006, 15:45
I would like to know if campaing battles replays are in. CA staff said that at one time they were in, but were taken out again. Any news on this would be great Richard

:balloon2:

Tempiic
10-20-2006, 19:31
I really would love to know if you can now 'withdraw' from battle when being a defender too when on the battlefield during the campaign. In RTW, you could withdraw units from battle when attacking, but you simply could not when you were the defending side. This really annoyed me.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
10-21-2006, 03:16
-Does the "Rebel" faction remains a faction like the others in it's habilities or is it something more vast without unit or model limitations, like the ability to have several different culture types for Generals (read family members) and Lesser Generals (read captains).

-What is the unit and model limit?

-What characteristics have the 3dmodel and texture files:
3d models - concerning character rigging, UV mapping, etc...
Textures - concerning alpha channels, normal mapping, etc...

-What is the implementation alllowing non-clone armies? 3d model and/or texture database or data library? Or another method?

Lord_Phan
10-21-2006, 03:30
Can assasins kill there own factions generals?

and Most importantly find out what is up with the turns. If it's as the rumours say it is, it'd be a major dealbreaker and could turn most people off the game including me. I want a longer game not a shorter one! A more realistic longer game!

Monarch
10-21-2006, 11:56
I used to be against turns. But then I thought, Medieval 1 (1 turn = a year) really doesn't make sense. One year to recruit some peasants? Now wheres thw historical accuracy in that. Also, they can't do 4tpy or even 2tpy due to the huuuuge timespan the game covers.

I am very much looking forward the campaign, can't wait, especialyl if the ais good =D

Lord_Phan
10-21-2006, 12:53
I used to be against turns. But then I thought, Medieval 1 (1 turn = a year) really doesn't make sense. One year to recruit some peasants? Now wheres thw historical accuracy in that. Also, they can't do 4tpy or even 2tpy due to the huuuuge timespan the game covers.

I am very much looking forward the campaign, can't wait, especialyl if the ais good =D

That's total bs. Most strat gamers WANT longer games. Overall developing strategies. The Faction family developing over time. Firaxis listened to us, and gave us Marathon mode in civ4. That's 1200 turns in a broader environment.

In Koei's ROTK series which is similar to this in terms of character development and aging characters(though more advanced) runs under days now. Not even years. In a 200 some odd year war.

Personally when I saw how much time the game covered, I was ecstatic. When I saw battles, I was jumping for joy. I bought myself a $4000CND Computer to play this game on MAX.

When I saw the rumour that they might be warping the frame of time and have characters aging seperate from the timespan. My heart sank. If it's true that's a travesty.

JR-
10-21-2006, 15:43
agreed.

Faenaris
10-26-2006, 19:48
Sorry for the bumpage, but how long is ER staying over at Brisbane? I heard it was 10 days, is this correct?

Pindar
10-27-2006, 05:38
Are there reemerging factions?

Epistolary Richard
10-31-2006, 01:01
My first report, from last Friday, has now been approved and posted:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71227

alpaca
10-31-2006, 19:32
Wow, 4 days for censorship :furious3:

Puzz3D
10-31-2006, 19:35
My first report, from last Friday, has now been approved and posted.
Was it censored?

alpaca
10-31-2006, 19:38
Nothing it seems, but he couldn't immediately release it because it had to be checked by a CA employee in case it contained critical info that would then probably have had to be removed. That's what censorship is all about, is it not?

Puzz3D
10-31-2006, 19:45
That's what censorship is all about, is it not?
I'm asking if anything was removed.

AussieGiant
10-31-2006, 22:22
Who know's Puzz...

I doubt they would admit to removing anything. That would just inflame opinion.

CA have every right to audit what ER writes. He is there at their invitation.

Epistolary Richard
11-01-2006, 05:39
No, nothing was changed. :rolleyes: I just said it was Friday so that you guys didn't think I had forgotten you all! It just took a while because I'm in Brisbane and the CA head office is in the UK and it was over a weekend - which means that when they approved it I was safely tucked up in bed for the night.

Anyway, here's the next one:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=71291

And there'll be more to come.

Faenaris
11-01-2006, 12:34
Three cheers for Epistolary Richard! Hurray, hurray, hurray!

Epistolary Richard
11-02-2006, 04:33
This is my last day here, but there'll be more to come. Sorry, spent my time asking questions rather than typing up the answers.

Martok
11-02-2006, 05:38
This is my last day here, but there'll be more to come. Sorry, spent my time asking questions rather than typing up the answers.
Personally, I'd rather you did that anyway. There's always time to write it up later! :yes:

Faenaris
11-02-2006, 10:51
Personally, I'd rather you did that anyway. There's always time to write it up later! :yes:

I second that, more questions answered is always good. ~:)

edyzmedieval
11-02-2006, 18:07
Hurray for ER. That's an incredible chance...:2thumbsup: :beam:

Monarch
11-02-2006, 18:58
That's total bs. Most strat gamers WANT longer games. Overall developing strategies. The Faction family developing over time. Firaxis listened to us, and gave us Marathon mode in civ4. That's 1200 turns in a broader environment.

In Koei's ROTK series which is similar to this in terms of character development and aging characters(though more advanced) runs under days now. Not even years. In a 200 some odd year war.

Personally when I saw how much time the game covered, I was ecstatic. When I saw battles, I was jumping for joy. I bought myself a $4000CND Computer to play this game on MAX.

When I saw the rumour that they might be warping the frame of time and have characters aging seperate from the timespan. My heart sank. If it's true that's a travesty.

I don't agree.

The games no shorter than it would be if we had years. Turns make more sense, peasants take 30 seconds and a sharp stick to threaten them with to recrut, not a year.

Martok
11-03-2006, 05:58
Let's calm down a little, folks. It's perfectly natural and understandable to disagree over decisions CA has made in regards to the game, but please refrain from personal attacks. You can certainly disagree with someone's opinion, but insulting other posters is a violation of the Guild's rules.

Epistolary Richard
11-03-2006, 17:14
In any case - I've now touched down in the UK. Hopefully permission to post my final report from Brisbane will come through shortly - but for now this thread can be closed.