PDA

View Full Version : which is your favorite faction(rtw)

Motep
10-22-2006, 19:38
Which is your favorite faction and why? Mine is the greek because hellenism just fascinates me , they have one of the richest cultures in the game and I strive to make them a great enough empire to live up to their name.

pvt_isaac
10-22-2006, 20:27
Gaul. They have an early disadvantage, being surrounded on all sides, and pretty weak units until you can recruit good stuff like the Forrester Warband and stronger cavalry. So fun to play.

MaddMann
10-22-2006, 21:20
Parthia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caius
10-22-2006, 23:16
Scipii!

Roman_Man#3
10-22-2006, 23:25
numidia

Lucjan
10-23-2006, 00:10
Pontus or Illyria (RTR)

Glaucus
10-23-2006, 01:23
Macedon. Replicate Alexander... and in RTR its awesome!!

shizzernockers3
10-23-2006, 01:44
carthage number 1

professorspatula
10-23-2006, 15:23
Dacia. A Falx a day, keeps nasty Romans away.

Post count +1, yay me.

Kralizec
10-23-2006, 15:24
Macedon in vanilla RTW.

Pontus in RTR.

Epeiros in EB.

MaddMann
10-23-2006, 17:15
Macedonia was to limited and unrealistic.

Kralizec
10-23-2006, 18:54
Macedonia was arguably the most realistic and historically accurate faction in the original game. What bugged be is that the companions were weaker then Praetorian cavalry (overpowerd just like all Marian units)
None of the other vanilla RTW factions really did anything for me, but then again it didn't take long before I started playing modifications only.

Motep
10-23-2006, 18:59
I hear ya...they should have made the macedonians more powerful. They completely undervalued their pikemen, and they arent fun to play unless you edit their edu stats. Also....madmann, dont post like that again.

Roy1991
10-24-2006, 22:03
Can't choose between Carthage and Seleucia.
I like them mainly because of their unit rosters.

Motep
10-25-2006, 00:06
Take it yopu have a thing for elephants? Im forced to agree that they have some of the best units (actually selucids do)

Jesenjin
10-25-2006, 00:08
In my book brutii are the best but objectively the winner would be selucids thanks to their most flexible army!

Motep
10-25-2006, 00:57
yeah brutii are good...im forced to love em more than the other romans as they were the first faction ive ever played.

naut
10-25-2006, 08:49
Rule Britannia, Swing low sweet chariot(s).

Steistas
10-25-2006, 16:18
Thrace.
They're not the best, but I like the mix of hoplites and barbarian warriors.

dacdac
10-25-2006, 20:08
where is the Germania love, huh? With the location that they are in, There aren't too many enemies, Rome usually allies with you, bersekers beat any other infantry, and the phalanx can hold them there while the berserkers massacre them from the flanks. I always have at least 4 with each army.

satchef1
10-25-2006, 22:55
Thrace
For some reason the idea of making Falxmen charge head on into charging cavalry then imagining the bloody mess as horse legs get cleaved off really appeals to me... :laugh4:

Caius
10-28-2006, 00:40
yeah brutii are good...im forced to love em more than the other romans as they were the first faction ive ever played.
They expand their troops to Grecce and Macedon.They are so fast for conquering that enemies.But i select the Scipii. The Scipii can be slow, but i like the way they play

Craterus
10-28-2006, 00:45
Gotta be Macedon.

Ozzfest20
10-31-2006, 06:59
Tharace: I like the mix of Greek and Barbarian.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
11-03-2006, 17:07
Seleciud is good. Good Spears, Cav and Eles :-)

Motep
11-05-2006, 22:35
Forced to agree...but I really hate playing them on campaigns, as they dont get the good units untill late in the game(and by that tme, you have lost most of your lands.)

Monarch
11-05-2006, 23:25
Spain, because I felt sorry for them that nobody else was voting for them.

Craterus
11-05-2006, 23:54
Macedon and Thrace are leading...

Macedon I can understand.
Thrace, however, :huh:

maximus overlord
11-06-2006, 01:40
gotta be julii:horn:

highlanddave
11-06-2006, 04:20
selucids are the only faction i won the 50 territories with. i haven't played rome tw in awhile. when i did i normally picked the short campaign. for selucids you gotta learn the proper timing of raising and lowering spears during battle to maximize their pikemen performance. elephants are fun, too.

OldSchool
11-06-2006, 08:35
Scythians.

Hordes of madmen on horses rising from the steppes and sweeping all before them. Leaving no trace of the vanquished people. Well...except the walls...and farms...and roads...and palaces. Other than that, no trace. :wall:

:charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge: :charge:

Motep
11-06-2006, 14:30
huh,you have won the game with one I couldnt. I have won with julii, gaul, britannia, carthage, egypt, greeks, brutii, scipii, but never the selucids.

LegioScythia
11-06-2006, 18:58
Julii no real reason i just like Romans and i like their color:yes:

Miloshus
11-08-2006, 16:32
Selucids are the best,
They have good cavalry, chariots, hand to hand infantry and solid pikemans
and they are Greeks
:shame: :whip: :egypt:

Ciaran
11-08-2006, 19:27
A tough choice, I like the Romans, due to their easy handling, and the Julii especially (some easy, fun battles against Gaul), but I also fondly remember my Seleucid, Carthagian and Egyptian campaigns, as all three factions provide a good mix of units - phalanxes to hold the line, good cavalry for attacking and (in the case of Egypt and Seleucids) good melee infantry (desert axemen for the Egyptians and Seleucid Legions). It´s very well suited for one who likes the european High Era factions in MTW, the tactics that can be employed are very similar.

Phoenix
11-08-2006, 23:20
Seleucids.

They had the most versatile army in the game.

Craterus
11-08-2006, 23:21
Not in the early SP game..

Phoenix
11-08-2006, 23:37
I didn't think so. Antioch starts out as a city in the beginning and after a few turns can start producing Greek Cavalry, Elephants, Archers, and Phalanx Pikemen while large towns can still recruit Scythed Chariots, Levy Pikemen, and Peltasts which enables them to counter almost any unit their neighbors can throw at them. I wouldn't try playing a Seleucid game without blitzing Sidon and Jerusalem at the start though.

Motep
11-09-2006, 02:57
I suppose that must have been my mistake...they attacked me not vise_versa...

Julian the apostate
11-09-2006, 03:11
while its mummy returns the egyptian line up is pretty good with the pharohs gaurd unit and archers nothin better with good phlanax good position and good archers

Mangudai
11-10-2006, 19:19
Kudos to CA for balancing the factions so well. It seems that every faction has admireres.

For me its Scythia.

Scythian noblemen can take down anything with minimal losses, especially with upgrades. They are the true super unit of the game. I think they are better than Armenian Cataphract Archers. Scythians have more attack power, speed, and endurance. With proper tactical control you can melee enemy cav with 2:1 odds or better and take them out very quickly. Their other units are fun to play as well, although it takes skill to win with regular horse archers.

Early in the game I enjoy forming armies of 2-4 vanilla horse archers and causing mahem, cutting trade routes, attacking undefended locations, etc. When attacked I can always escape. When germans try to invade me with huge armies of spear warbands I can wear them down over several turns with just a pair of horse archers. For most factions it pays to concentrate your forces into big armies. With Scythia I play four or more tiny armies. The enemy will concentrate to chase down one of your armies (without sucess) meanwhile my other little armies can slip in and attack minimally defended cities. Merc infantry can be recruited on the fly to man battering rams.

Late game an army of all Scythian noblemen beats everything on the field. As a sieging force I just wait for the enemy to sally or fall. A specialized siege army with lots of axemen, catapults, and chosen archers can storm cities I am impatient to take.

Basically I just love this system of warfare. In MTW Mongols and Russians are my favorite. In Barbarian invasion: Huns.

Motep
11-10-2006, 23:15
So youre a fan of the men of russia? Cant blame ya there...scythians rock, but their location on the battle map is a killer. It takes ages to get anywhere, and you have to change capitals later in the game. Great units, but for all the rest.......eesh......., ill give em a 6/10.

My faction reviews:

scythia (above) 5/10

I hate playing the british. They have a poor location, medium units, poor technology, bad economy, and I dont care for the anchillaries. I give em a 4/10.

greeks I rellly love, for their economy, units (a little unbalanced unless ya tweak their cavalry) location, and because thay are the greeks. 9/10

brutii are good...great units, location, tech tree, and all the rest, except they are under the senates control...ill have to give em a 9/10.
same for the scipii and julii.

Carthage have decent units, good traits, techs, and the rest, but they lose appeal after a while. Ill give em 8/10

Selucids have an almost unreal troop capability, but ive never survived long enough to figure out much more...ill give em a 7/10 for being so dang hard to play!

Egyptians are very well balanced, their location isnt the best, good techs, good anchillaries, enough to earn em a 9/10.

the gauls have a limited tech tree, good troops, poor economy, decent location, poor navy, and I dont care for their temples...5/10

and thats about all ive played.

Abgar
11-12-2006, 21:02
My favorite faction is Armenia. It starts out in a horrible position, but they have a good army.

Motep
11-12-2006, 22:18
Ill have to try the Armenians...never played em before...

AlJabberwock
11-13-2006, 03:46
Seleucids are fun, but I like the Germans in the Vanilla RTW. Franks, Saxons or Lombards in BI. Huns are Fun too

Spart
11-19-2006, 09:24
Greeks hands down.
I love History (duh I am playing a historical based game), the ultimate topic for is the Spartans (Homoioi). I also find that trying to defeat a phalanx army is next to impossible if they have a sensible commander (like me [sarcasm with maybe a bit of truth]). The best thing about the Greeks is their temple to nike and the Spartan hoplites.

3 Spartan Hoplites
6 Armoured Hoplites
2 Hoplites
4 Cretan Archers
4 Greek Cavalry
1 Greek Family Member

Bring it on (expletive)

The Foolish Horseman
11-19-2006, 17:23
i like macedon because of the strength of the phalanx spearman and the good combination. I also love the House of Julli and brittania because they were the first factions i ever played with

Aisis Julius
11-20-2006, 07:08
Julii because at the very beginning with a little micro man you can have art. , amm, seg., med, pat. and build a fort at the crossroads of art and pat, and it will give you capability to build a full stack in fives turns. as long as you roads built for the five towns you gold.
What faction can turn out a full stack in five turns ? :elephant:

Caius
12-01-2006, 01:56
No one i know.

Bellum
12-03-2006, 21:42
Julii because Romans look better in red.

Orb
12-03-2006, 21:59
Problem with Romans.

They suck. Really.

There is no challenge in playing Romans (particularly Julii and Brutii) and therefore no point playing.

Give me Gaul, Seleucia, Pontus, Thrace, Numidia, Spain...

Bellum
12-05-2006, 01:01
I would argue that the thousands of dead gallic men under your soldiers feet is reason enough to play.

GrimeReaper
12-16-2006, 18:15
I like Numidia they were not played much for a ling time now many players use them as their camels can beat many a stronger cav army than there own.
Fast fierce hard hitting army and they have eles if only there troops was not so yellow backed they would crush Rome

RTKMercurius
12-17-2006, 17:01
Always luved Pontus... not great for big infantry builds, but with pikes you rarely need more than 5.

The mix of jav cav, light and heavy charries, and the cappos makes for a deadly cav game for any purpose.....

naut
12-18-2006, 02:50
Kudos to CA for balancing the factions so well. It seems that every faction has admireres.
I disagree. Romans are overpowered and Barbarian nations lack everything, CA put no effort into the Barbarians. Want a well balanced game try Shogun.

I hate playing the british. They have a poor location, medium units, poor technology, bad economy, and I dont care for the anchillaries. I give em a 4/10.
You have to be kidding. Want bad economy try Spain. Want poor location try Armenia, Scythia or Parthia. Medium units, schmedium units; chariots are so overpowered its amazing. Tell me a single Barbarian nation that actually has a well thought out and detailed technology tree, (and if you say Carthage or Egypt and such I will feel the urge to teach you a lesson in history).

As Orb said playing the Romans is stupid, they are so overpowered it astounds me.

Want a challenge try EB and play as Lusotannan. You start with one province and you make almost -3500 to start. Very fun. :charge:

RtkBedivere
12-18-2006, 03:42
I voted parthia because i love playing with them. You have have to be able to work around no real infantry and still fight and menuver your way to the top.

TheBritonBasher
12-23-2006, 23:02
Enter Britannia!

Weep, other Barbarian factions.:laugh4:

marcusbrutus
12-24-2006, 03:06
Egypt - chariots, archers, axemen, spears - love it.

Andy
12-30-2006, 21:03
Seleucids, because they have the best of everone. :beam:

x-dANGEr
12-30-2006, 21:13
Sure Carthage!

Fate
12-31-2006, 15:55
My last campaign was as the Ilberians on RTG VH/VH on full campaign (capture 70 provinces), and that was thoroughly enjoyable; particuarly the scramble for Carthage, blitzing the North African Coast and killing off as much of the Scippii as possible with my balaeric slingers; lovely, brutal unit .
Ive also recently played as Thrace which was enjoyable until the inevitable betrayel and attack by the romans. Top 5 factions:
1.Spain
2.Carthage
3.Thrace
4.Egypt
5.Greece.

Neco
01-01-2007, 02:00
I loved playing as Spain. The have a good position that's challenging at the start (especially if the Julii decide to pay you a visit over the sea). They don't have a very deep unit roster, but what they do have is high quality. Plus, you have to love the Bull Warriors. They're one of the few infantry units that can hold their own against a unit of Urban or Praetorian Cohorts, depending on difficulty level of course.

Their only big problem is the lack of good missile units and lackluster cavalry. Balearic slingers are the answer to your missile problems, and you learn to cope with the decent cavalry that you have.

It's just nice marching against the Romans with full stacks of Bull Warriors.

Murfios
01-01-2007, 02:02
Happy New Year. :balloon2:

-Murfios

Kull
01-01-2007, 05:25
Enjoy "vanilla RTW" while you can guys. Once you play one of the really good mods like RTR, EB or Blue Lotus, well....you'll never be able to go back! The original game will just seem shallow and undone. :yes:

Severous
01-01-2007, 16:34
Egypt.

Loved the missile and mobility offerred by the chariot generals. With Bowmen and Desert Cavalry we took on all comers.

The high point was scything down persuing enemy generals with the chariot wheels.

baron_Leo
01-01-2007, 20:46
In vanilla definetly Julii, RTR romans. I love romans. :-) I just love legionaires, but not in THAT way:-) Happy New Year!

Teleklos Archelaou
01-02-2007, 03:53
Baktria! or Epeiros or Sabyn! :2thumbsup:

Koriblade
01-05-2007, 00:49
Got to be Greek Cities, Spartans rock. That said I also like the Selucids if you can survive the early game your sorted.

PapaNasty
01-05-2007, 22:49
Julii for me. First faction I played and won the 50 regions on. I now play mainly Macedon or Greece.

Knight George
01-06-2007, 05:24
my favorite faction is Thrace. They have a nice blend of barbarian and greek units, a challenging starting position, and they are the perfect distance from the Romans-not too close but close enough to get in on the action.

Owen Glyndwr
01-06-2007, 07:48
I voted germania because their spearman are a very flexible addition, and can be used in effectively in a thousand different ways. When properly used in concert with their axemen and cavalry, even marius troops are beaten quite easily. Plus any wooden-walled settlement can be easily defended with about 2 or 3 spearmen divisions.

Caius
01-06-2007, 16:21
Kudos to CA for balancing the factions so well. It seems that every faction has admireres

The Romans are very powerful.CA made they strongest.
The Greeks are in a huge disadvantage, never use the autoresolve button in a battle Brutii vs Greeks.

Owen Glyndwr
01-06-2007, 19:05
where is the Germania love, huh? With the location that they are in, There aren't too many enemies, Rome usually allies with you, bersekers beat any other infantry, and the phalanx can hold them there while the berserkers massacre them from the flanks. I always have at least 4 with each army.

I hear ya man, apparently we're the only germania supporters here, which is strange because it appears germany got a bunch of votes. I used to not like Germania too much due to the spearmen, which i didn't like quite as much as Britons (Welsh pride woot woot). But once you learn how to use spearmen effectively, you find they are the single strongest barbarian nation in the game. I dunno how many times I got stabbed in the back by either the Gauls or the Britons, and ended up having to defend a city with 2 spearmen and 3 peasants and winning (watching big bad swordsman running away from peasants is oh so pleasing):laugh4:

Motep
01-06-2007, 19:35
The Romans are very powerful.CA made they strongest.
The Greeks are in a huge disadvantage, never use the autoresolve button in a battle Brutii vs Greeks.

I never have, and I never will. I can easily beat the romans with minimum casualties with a 20 to 1 ratio. id hate to see what the cpu would make of it...

Romulus Julius
01-11-2007, 00:34
Hey I am a new comer to the total war series and I have become obsessed with Rome Total War and the Parthians. How do you become the partians

Kralizec
01-11-2007, 01:11
The normal way to unlock factions is to complete a campaign (either the full imperial one or a small one)

You can also edit a text file to get acces to all factions, even those wich can't be unlocked by normal means.
In the folder:
Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
a file called descr_strat

(when editing, it's always wise to keep a backup copy of the file you're going to edit)

Cut and paste Parthia from "unlockable" to under "playable".

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-12-2007, 20:18
Hi there, I must say that I used to get plenty of pleasure from playing the Scipii. They had tremendous depth to them, like all of the Roman factions did, and they were a good, enjoyable and moderate challenge, not mind-bogglingly hard like the Brutii, and not somewhat easy like the Julii. It also helped that they got to conquer the mighty Carthage which is something I have always wanted to re-enact since I visited the (Roman) ruins of that remarkable city.

General-Winter
01-17-2007, 20:32
Ich bin ein Germanian.
I remember the first time I used the berserkirgang.... 36 of those guys cleaned the entire Julii right wing. :jawdrop:

However since they also the Roman faction I started my first game with, the Julii are a close second.

Lysander13
01-20-2007, 08:03
Enjoy "vanilla RTW" while you can guys. Once you play one of the really good mods like RTR, EB or Blue Lotus, well....you'll never be able to go back! The original game will just seem shallow and undone. :yes:

This is so true: I barely remember even playing vanilla RTW.
My favorite faction...Koinon Hellenon in EB..Macedon in RTR..
Greek City States in XGM.

Artorius Maximus
01-20-2007, 08:15
I vote Julii because they are the first faction I played, and its just fun to make a Roman Empire with that faction.

Motep
01-20-2007, 18:10
Hi there, I must say that I used to get plenty of pleasure from playing the Scipii. They had tremendous depth to them, like all of the Roman factions did, and they were a good, enjoyable and moderate challenge, not mind-bogglingly hard like the Brutii, and not somewhat easy like the Julii. It also helped that they got to conquer the mighty Carthage which is something I have always wanted to re-enact since I visited the (Roman) ruins of that remarkable city.

How do you come by the conclusion that the Brutii are hard to play?

Quintus Of Pompeii
01-25-2007, 19:08
GERMAN
GERMAN GERMAN GERMAN

im not a nazi

The Foolish Horseman
01-25-2007, 19:12
who said you were quintus?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-25-2007, 19:21
How do you come by the conclusion that the Brutii are hard to play?
Phalanxes are hard to beat with pre-Marian infantry and cavalry.

Tiberius of the Drake
01-25-2007, 22:54
Seleucids hands down. Antiochus the great owned in real life and his army owns even more in the game :duel: Plus all the other diadoci in the game are horrible.

Gardon Gnome
01-26-2007, 00:09
Carthage

Motep
01-26-2007, 15:14
Phalanxes are hard to beat with pre-Marian infantry and cavalry.

not really....

Warmaster Horus
01-27-2007, 19:07
In the original RTW or in any of its mods it's always the Romans for me. Just something about the historical accuracy, their history, and their rise to be the greatest ancient empire fascinates me.
There's also the fact that the names of the units are the only ones I can pronounce correctly in a realism mod...

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-27-2007, 21:58
not really....
Me finding it hard could have something to do with my status as a terrible tactician. Ah well, read the user name gentlemen, read the user name :grin:

Quintus Of Pompeii
01-27-2007, 22:02
Haha

Motep
01-28-2007, 20:06
Me finding it hard could have something to do with my status as a terrible tactician. Ah well, read the user name gentlemen, read the user name :grin:

That explains it....Thanks!

Aemilianus the Younger
01-31-2007, 05:51
Armenia ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are the most interesting eastern faction to play with.
although i have moded a couple of their units to make them more effective.
like their starting location.

Maurus
02-02-2007, 19:08
The Scipiones for me, I love their temples, (golden equipment and sea domination :2thumbsup: )

The Seleucids come in a close second though

lottrbacchus
02-03-2007, 12:20
i've had the game not quite two months yet. i finished the short campaign with the juli then started a long campaign with the seleucids. :oops:

bit off a bit more than i could chew with that one. i actually wasn't doing too badly, but being at war with everyone right from the start meant that i couldn't develop a direction or strategy. also, the distances involved in that area of the map meant that the game was very fast (having enemies to fight everywhere) and too slow (taking forever to get units moved around).

so i scrapped that campaign and decided i needed to get a better handle on the basics of the game- city management and such- before trying a new faction.

so i'm back with the juli and doing quite well and thus my only honest answer can be the juli.

for my next campaign, i think i'm going to try a western european faction, as i know the map area quite well.

phoenix[illusion]
02-06-2007, 19:25
There are two same themes.

LuckyDog Trojan
02-14-2007, 20:33
I've only played the game through 2 or 3 times. So... I still feel like I am yet to experience my favorite faction as of yet. Played the Egyptians - but that was too easy.

I'll stick with the Julii... .... for now... I do like the challenges posed by terrain. (Battles in forests, ambuscades, etc.)