PDA

View Full Version : Pavise crossbowmen useless Shield?

PROMETHEUS
10-25-2006, 13:03
I am wondering if the Pavise crossbowmen will actually be able to use their shield or it will be just a cosmetical trait .... Since if they can't place on ground and take repair behind it , what's the use of it ? They just look like nija turtles this way ..... I really hope they will be able to use the shield and not just have them like a sort of shell ....

TB666
10-25-2006, 13:11
I think I saw a screenshot of the demo that features these guys.
In that you could see that the unit when they reload their crossbow, they simply crouch down and turn their back on the enemy thus getting the cover from their shield.

Edit:
Ah yes here we are
http://www.totalwar-turkiye.com/gld/14.jpg

PROMETHEUS
10-25-2006, 13:30
Bah , not they way it was used ....

Stig
10-25-2006, 13:34
yeah but it's good they have them, in a game you don't have to repair yuor crossbow so you need another reason, and I think this is a very good one.

Ringeck
10-25-2006, 13:37
What is actually happening in that pic? Are some of the crossbowmen hunkering down behind their (rather small) pavises while others are standing up firing or what?

With "take repair" you mean "take refuge" right?

Lusted
10-25-2006, 13:42
The ones behind the pavise are reloading.

TB666
10-25-2006, 13:43
What is actually happening in that pic? Are some of the crossbowmen hunkering down behind their (rather small) pavises while others are standing up firing or what?

I think those that have their backs turned fired their arrows already and are reloading.

Edit: Damn, Lusted beat me to it.

Ringeck
10-25-2006, 13:51
Not only did he beat you to it, he wrote it above as well. Silly me. They really crouch low down, don't they - Limbo Arbalestiers? Prom is right, though - too bad they're not using it with a footrest or shield-carrier.

The Blind King of Bohemia
10-25-2006, 13:57
Prom, try that custer thread on the com. I do believe i saw a picture of the crossbowmen reloading behind the pavise. They are just stationary in the above pic

Bob the Insane
10-25-2006, 15:03
I wonder if this has modding implications...

Previously the shield bonus only applied to the front and right and while the unit was not running...

Does this mean it can somehow be redirected to the rear?

Phil17
10-25-2006, 15:08
In relevance to the game, that minor detial doesnt matter. It doesnt have to be historically acurate, but they do try pretty hard to please the history buff's amoung the players. I think they look amazing lol, man I cant wait for this game. :2thumbsup:

PROMETHEUS
10-25-2006, 15:08
Since the new features implemented I would have hoped CA made a double line of people , one with pavise shiedl and one with crossboww , the first repearing the seconds while firing ..... but that way looks silly , and also in the pic u posted they just look reloading on side and not completely with backs to the enemy .....

Sir_Hawkwood
10-26-2006, 21:02
I remember reading once (although I cant remember the source, despite an hour of looking) that some arrows (or could have been crossbow quarrels) were fixed with a cord of leather, which would fix into the Pavise and allow the shooter to pull the shield away.

The usefulness of this tactic must have been very limited, but somebody, at some point in the period, must have seen the Pavise as enough of an advantage to the crossbowman to try something new...

I'd love to see this type of counter in the game...

PROMETHEUS
10-26-2006, 21:29
Check this ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavise

Lusted
10-26-2006, 21:45
Okay, this is related more to crossbowmen then Pavis crosswbowmen, but i've just realised that in the demos they do a proper winding action for reloading their crossb