PDA

View Full Version : The Grand Medieval Fix-Up Mod

Ricgard
11-11-2006, 00:15
I was thinking, since M2TW is so terribly done, perhaps we should unite the fixups into one big project.

Priorities:

1. Make the turns 6 months long, and many other technical fixes.

----

2. Realistic factions.
3. Improved map(Medieval Europe, maybe Turks and Caliphs, but no one else besides Mongols invading).
4. Normal units.
5. More fun/challenging to play battles.
6. Historical accuracy.

----

Who's with me? This will probably be difficult...

Epistolary Richard
11-11-2006, 08:47
Well, that sounds like a pretty huge scope you've got there. Perhaps you should just start to work on one thing and put together a release, whilst keeping an eye on what other members in the community are doing and ask their permission to incorporate anything they do which is along the same lines as your thinking.

alpaca
11-11-2006, 12:50
Additionally, we already have two mods that are aiming to improve the game experience while roughly keeping the timeline and area: Mediaeval Auctoriso and Medieval: Total Realism.
They'll also be likely to include smaller fixes that fit into them, if the creators of these fixes allow it. So you might consider joining either of these, or follow ER's advice ;)

Ricgard
11-11-2006, 13:30
Yeah, I'll begin autonomous work on it at first, just to fix all the major errors, and then after the release of the big fix compilation, I'll probably get people to help with the other things.

methoz
11-11-2006, 14:16
I
2. Realistic factions.

Do you know medieval faction.... Bohemia ?

Ricgard
11-12-2006, 00:55
Do you know medieval faction.... Bohemia ?

Yes. Why? By the way, it's only #2 on the priorities list.

Marius Dynamite
11-12-2006, 03:35
I am wondering if anyone is going to try to make a mod which will make the game run smoother. In multiplayer, the battles are just too laggy for fun, and my computer is pretty good. The mods will probably focus on Improving graphics like the mods of RTW, but I think a mod which makes the game run smoother with more units on the field would be better. Perhaps you would only have to remove some of the combat moves or something, I dont know. I would gladly lose a few of them if the game would actually play 10,000 troops.

Maybe MTR is already planning something like that, I don't know, I am too lazy to read the MTR forum. If not, I think you should consider it.

snevets
11-12-2006, 05:42
Well that's all a matter of the polygons your computer can draw on screen. If you want a mod to make it faster you need one that will reduce the polygons- simpler models.

Ricgard
11-12-2006, 15:36
I am wondering if anyone is going to try to make a mod which will make the game run smoother. In multiplayer, the battles are just too laggy for fun, and my computer is pretty good. The mods will probably focus on Improving graphics like the mods of RTW, but I think a mod which makes the game run smoother with more units on the field would be better. Perhaps you would only have to remove some of the combat moves or something, I dont know. I would gladly lose a few of them if the game would actually play 10,000 troops.

Can't you just change the quality in the options?

Maybe MTR is already planning something like that, I don't know, I am too lazy to read the MTR forum. If not, I think you should consider it.

Thanks, I'm on bug fixes right now.

Add:

I'm thinking - why don't we make an 'industry standard' to make all mods compatible with each other in the text files, to have several campaigns in one game without needing different installations?

For example, MTR unit names would have mtr_ in front of the file name, warrhammer would have whm_, etc. Would be a pretty efficient system.

alpaca
11-12-2006, 17:51
I'm thinking - why don't we make an 'industry standard' to make all mods compatible with each other in the text files, to have several campaigns in one game without needing different installations?

For example, MTR unit names would have mtr_ in front of the file name, warrhammer would have whm_, etc. Would be a pretty efficient system.
Why should we need that when we have a perfectly sensible mod switching system in place that allows us to put every mod into its own subfolder :2thumbsup:

Ricgard
11-12-2006, 18:19
Why should we need that when we have a perfectly sensible mod switching system in place that allows us to put every mod into its own subfolder :2thumbsup:

I must look like an idiot then...

Oh well.

Marius Dynamite
11-12-2006, 20:19
Well that's all a matter of the polygons your computer can draw on screen. If you want a mod to make it faster you need one that will reduce the polygons- simpler models.

Someone good at modding should try it out. If they can seriously reduce Lag and keep a better-than-Rome graphics then they should take it further.

Of course, I have done that. I still get no were near 10,000, and playing online, there are just too few people who can't even get 5,000 lagless.

On A related Topic: Sprites are really awful in M2:TW. I was Wondering, was this just sheer lazyness on Ca's part to finish them? Can the Sprites be improved? (Assuming we can even make sprites.)

Kushan
11-17-2006, 10:12
So I was throwing around ideas for a mod like this and have come up with some basic ideas that I want to implement:

- Realistic Factions (Already started working on this, even taking into account the 30 faction limit)
- NO more fantasy units (Unit list will be relatively short, but will hopefully depict units available during the time frame....will even try a show the evolution from fief armies to more professional armies.
- New Map, remove Aztecs, focus on Europe/Western Asia. (This I need help on as I have no skills in this section)
- Unit scaling system. Basically eacj soldier would represent 10, 100, etc. So fro example a unit of 250 could represent 2500. Balancing will be adjusted for this.
- 4tpy

Something like renaming factions I have already started doing, but until we get an unpacker from CA thats about all we can do.

If any one who has experience doing mapping, and is interested in helping, please pm either here or at TWC (same name).

Kushan