PDA

View Full Version : ******* Inquisitors! (& how to counter them)

Big King Sanctaphrax
11-11-2006, 04:59
Am I the only person who thinks inquisitors are severely overpowered? Whilst playing as the English, one of them rolled up and burned three of my faction heirs at the stake-all three of William the Conqueror's sons, as it turned out. It just seemed a bit ridiculous, I don't see how an inquisitor could execute a member of the royal family in his own domain. There was also absolutely nothing I could do about it, as my best assassin at that point was only level 3, and had about a 12% chance of successfully killing him. :help:

Ignoramus
11-11-2006, 05:21
Ouch, that would put a hole in you're campaign. I hope they fix this in a patch.

Motep
11-11-2006, 05:24
oooh....ouch dude. Well...hopefully they fix that...dude...I think you neeed this (:rifle: ) assasin.

shifty157
11-11-2006, 06:36
Well technically it was your own fault for not taking care of heresy on your own.

Bob the Insane
11-11-2006, 06:50
Well technically it was your own fault for not taking care of heresy on your own.

That is a good (if a little direct) point... What was the state of your lands when the inquisitors turned up? Did you get any warnings first?

Got any priests of your own?

Monarch
11-11-2006, 10:33
Build chapels/churches and priests :yes:

Ferret
11-11-2006, 10:55
Same here! I had full relationship with the pope and an inquisitor just waltzed up to Venice and burned my faction leeader!!!

darsalon
11-11-2006, 11:25
Yep, had a faction heir torched here, even though I'd just got a crusade to Jerusalem and my standing with the pope was very high. It was in the one province that didn't have any priests there which probably explains things a bit but I do agree that someone getting a high up member of the royal family like that is pushing things a little far.

LegioScythia
11-11-2006, 11:55
Happened to me to i lost 2 campaigns because of them :help: :help: **** inquisitors:furious3: :furious3:

TB666
11-11-2006, 12:55
Have had no problem with them so far.
One tried to get my priest burned for heresy twice but my priest pulled through both times:2thumbsup:

satchef1
11-11-2006, 13:49
CA should add an option to oppose the Inquisitors (if the inquisition takes place in you own lands). This would mean instand excommunication and a few rebellions but would save the person being trialed. (not played M2 yet so dont know if this would be possible)

Big King Sanctaphrax
11-11-2006, 14:50
There wasn't a significant amount of heresy in my lands, so I'm not really too sure why he was there. He would seem to range around a bit, disappearing for a while, and then coming back.

I just thought it was bizarre, as in MTW you needed a high level Grand Inquisitor to stand a halfway decent chance of torching faction heirs/leaders.

Basileus
11-11-2006, 15:19
Inquiaitors are annoying, they kill my priests then kill my heir and leader and their damn slow walk haha they are worse then assasins.

Dave1984
11-11-2006, 15:35
I had this problem, once immediately after I got a man of the hour promotion- my 300 strong English defeated a 1500 strong Milanese force and the captain got adopted. I ended the turn, and one of the skulking inquisitors turned up and presumably attributing my man's victory to witchcraft, executed him.
To be fair, I had been excommunicated.
To counter this bothersome activity, I've built abbeys and things everywhere, infested my lands with priests and so far have had no more trouble with the inquisition.

BigTex
11-11-2006, 15:38
There wasn't a significant amount of heresy in my lands, so I'm not really too sure why he was there. He would seem to range around a bit, disappearing for a while, and then coming back.

He's in your lands because you have the game before the release date. It's CA's revenge (and mine arg darn you gamestop).

Sounds bad I hope that's just a fluke, would cause alot of problems ingame if it wasnt.

eefums
11-11-2006, 15:53
I'm good at manipulating religion well into my campaign..never had a problem with inquisitors and i'm usually the popes favorite faction.

Jimmytwohand
11-11-2006, 17:32
I was a little annoyed myself with this. I had very little heresy in my lands but as soon as i took inverness, the pope (whod been telling me what a jolly good bloke i was) immediately sent an inquisitor there and started torching my priests that i had sent to enlighten the heathen scottish. The good news is that he seems quite content to stroll about the highlands in a random way. He hasnt left inverness so im just not sending any characters up there and hoping he has a dodgy heart....

Of course now i have my puppet pope (or pope on a rope as i call him) things are rosy and he quite happily lets me kick the french in the nuts on a regular basis.

Willbreaker
11-11-2006, 17:40
Hello,

This is one of the most boring parts of the game. A total turnoff.

I play as England and killing France, but these crappy inquistors come and has killed (as of now) two of my family members.

So my question is
1) How do I stop these bastards from appearing?
2) Can I build them?
3) How do you get rid of them once you have them in your lands?

/Breaker

TheImp
11-11-2006, 17:42
U can't have inquisitors. And in order for them not to show up, u should build churches and kill heretics as soon as they appear on your land.

TB666
11-11-2006, 17:44
1. Be religious by building churches and keep your lands catholic.
2. no
3. They will either go away or you can try and kill them with an assassin.

TheImp
11-11-2006, 17:49
U should train an assassin and have him pay a visit to Inverness.

Ano2
11-11-2006, 18:58
One of the important things to do is to get a church built and have the royal family sit there getting pious. If you don't pagan magicians will crop up.

I know what you mean though, I had a bishop on the council of cardinals and I was more than a little annoyed when the inquisition burned him for no good reason. There should definately be an oppose option.

Colovion
11-11-2006, 19:26
Haha, sounds like they made them true to life ;x

Polemists
11-11-2006, 21:34
While i realize many people are upset realize while the first day patch will be good I doubt it will fix every single issue you have with medieval 2.

Willbreaker
11-11-2006, 21:41
If you get excommunicated.. do they appear in your land?

If so, that's unrealistic IMO, since you don't bother being a catholic, and thereby don't heed to them.

/Breaker

Divine Wind
11-11-2006, 22:19
*Bursts into thread*

Har Har! No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

*Runs away*

Ive only had one inquisitor make a little mischief for me so far, but he only killed a rather crappy heir and buggered off back to France. Churches and a plentiful supply of balding priests is the way forward.

Lusted
11-11-2006, 23:20
If so, that's unrealistic IMO, since you don't bother being a catholic, and thereby don't heed to them.

If your ex-communicated your faction is still cathoic, so of course Inquisitors are going to go after you.

myz
11-11-2006, 23:31
A good way to counter inquisitors, as in the way of avoiding getting family members burned is...

As soon as you see them approach your lands, round up all your family members (those you don't want to get burned, I mean, some you probably do want burned) and pack these guys onto boats, and flow them out to sea to put them on ice for a few turns. Meantime, you can build churches, assassinate inquisitors, assassinate the pope, whatever, after you have the inquisitor taken care of, you can then ship back your family members...

Myrddraal
11-12-2006, 01:31

Umm, all the more reason to burn you then...

Drake
11-12-2006, 01:44
Double standards. Was just playing and three damn heretics showed up in Edinburgh. Now about 6 turns prior one of my priests had been killed by one of the Pope's pet psychopaths in Ireland. Why exactly did the pyromaniac not come over to Scotland and fry these three assholes? I haven't seen them light a fire under anyone elses ass the whole time, and usually with Watch AI Moves on, you see factions send negotiators and attack each other. No dice.

AlJabberwock
11-12-2006, 02:27
Double standards. Was just playing and three damn heretics showed up in Edinburgh. Now about 6 turns prior one of my priests had been killed by one of the Pope's pet psychopaths in Ireland. Why exactly did the pyromaniac not come over to Scotland and fry these three ***holes? I haven't seen them light a fire under anyone elses **s the whole time, and usually with Watch AI Moves on, you see factions send negotiators and attack each other. No dice.

{LMAO} This post totally cracked me up. Why the devil we care what some silly difference engine does is all down to the immersive aspect of the game environment and our will to suspend disbelief (versimillitude).

If the post above is any indication, if this were a play, it would
1)play on Broadway for 20 years,
2)be made into a movie with Johnny Depp as the Pope, Jackson the director,
3)be the number one DVD being pirated off the internet,
4)uh, be made into a game for the PC... LOL!

Al Jabberwock

econ21
11-12-2006, 02:34
On a related point - how do you keep the Pope happy? I'm playing England on VH and have two inquisitors in France, burnnig up my boys. My standing with the Pope is 1 pip, the lowest, but I voted for him, my King joined a crusade and I have done nothing "bad" - just been victimised by France, Denmark and Scotland, relieving them of one or two settlements in retaliation.

Big King Sanctaphrax
11-12-2006, 03:16
Ok, starting to get really annoyed now. An inquisitor burnt the general of a crusading army I was sending to Jerusalem while it was in Venetian lands, causing the entire stack to desert the following turn. This is wrong on so many levels.

Marius Dynamite
11-12-2006, 03:18
On a related point - how do you keep the Pope happy? I'm playing England on VH and have two inquisitors in France, burnnig up my boys. My standing with the Pope is 1 pip, the lowest, but I voted for him, my King joined a crusade and I have done nothing "bad" - just been victimised by France, Denmark and Scotland, relieving them of one or two settlements in retaliation.

I wondered this too.. heres what I gathered

1. Don't attack the Popes home country.
2. Don't attack any Catholic factions. To avoid, I set up watchtowers and when they seemed to be building armies, I used a diplomat to stop them attacking.
3. I think if you win a Crusade city, the Pope gets angry if you lose it after the crusade is over, not sure though.
4. Dont try to assassinate the Pope. He doesn't like that.
5. Dont ally with Muslims or factions he dislikes.
6. Build plenty of churches.
7. Make sure your lands are as Catholic as possible.
8. Don't attack the Popes favourite faction.

Not sure if they all make a difference, but I think they do.

Bob the Insane
11-12-2006, 03:19
Ok, starting to get really annoyed now. An inquisitor burnt the general of a crusading army I was sending to Jerusalem while it was in Venetian lands, causing the entire stack to desert the following turn. This is wrong on so many levels.

Could be political... Maybe the Pope just really didn't want you to win that crusade... :laugh4:

Horatius
11-12-2006, 03:38
I tried replaying the Albigensian Crusades by picking France, and giving up all lands outside of Languedoc while tolerating and encouraging heresy, and refusing to pay lip service to taking the cross.

Needless to say the entire royal family got roasted by the Inquisitors, it was fun to try doing it though, funny enough I expected to be excommunicated for trying to kill the Inquisitors, but the Pope did not break out the "ultimate" weapon instead I just got burned at the stake.

Basileus
11-12-2006, 03:48

Haha man, mine got burned near Milan while crusading toward Antioch, my heir had 3 piety as well a religious man. I hope they fix this cause when you play VH/VH your king/heir/family members get owned, religion was almost maxed in my provinces and evryone had atleast 1 in piety and they all seem to get targeted oh well could be cause they are English :D

Horatius
11-12-2006, 03:53
So am I the only one to have only got Inquisitors heading towards my land when I tried to make it happen?

If so my 4 priests per family member I don't want dead has payed off.

ByzantineKnight
11-12-2006, 03:57
In the next patch they should let you choose between getting your faction leader/heir burned to death or excommunication...

Encaitar
11-12-2006, 04:31
4. Dont try to assassinate the Pope. He doesn't like that.
sif! In some cultures attempted assassination is merely a way of showing respect! ~;p

legion commander167
11-12-2006, 11:23
A good way to counter inquisitors, as in the way of avoiding getting family members burned is...

As soon as you see them approach your lands, round up all your family members (those you don't want to get burned, I mean, some you probably do want burned) and pack these guys onto boats, and flow them out to sea to put them on ice for a few turns. Meantime, you can build churches, assassinate inquisitors, assassinate the pope, whatever, after you have the inquisitor taken care of, you can then ship back your family members...

what if the fleet there are in gets attacked and killed?

x-dANGEr
11-12-2006, 12:02
I guess they die then.

Biggus Diccus
11-12-2006, 16:30

Great trick for killing off corrupt and heretic heirs; there's always a pirate fleet around. :2thumbsup:

Sethik
11-12-2006, 17:56
Great trick for killing off corrupt and heretic heirs; there's always a pirate fleet around. :2thumbsup:

I actually lost a princess like that. I had wiped out the Scotish and their single fleet turned pirate. While I was sending my princess to Denmark to establish relations that pirate fleet broke off their blocking of Caen's port and sunk her Highnesses vessel.

Next turn I built 3 cogs and cleared the seas of the pirate scum.

AussieGiant
11-12-2006, 17:59
Double standards. Was just playing and three damn heretics showed up in Edinburgh. Now about 6 turns prior one of my priests had been killed by one of the Pope's pet psychopaths in Ireland. Why exactly did the pyromaniac not come over to Scotland and fry these three assholes? I haven't seen them light a fire under anyone elses ass the whole time, and usually with Watch AI Moves on, you see factions send negotiators and attack each other. No dice.

Christ Darke!! I had to laugh out aloud when I read your post!!

I'd guess your slightly ***sed!!

And chaps...is everyone on VH Campaign level? If you are, then I guess the POPE is one thing you really need to handle. At this stage of everyone playing the game I always try and think of how we as players would do things if we were another faction...

Now bare with me. If you don't own the pope, then another player (faction) does. That player (faction) would pretty much cane your ass as much as he could. On VH I guess CA uses the POPE in a very overt manner.

There could also be counters that we don't know about yet...keep in mind guy's this is all part of the fun in a global sense. The game is out for less than a week.

Keep working at it.