PDA

View Full Version : Lag in sieges (fps goes from 50 to 1) - game unplayable.

Jambo
11-11-2006, 15:49
Rather a major issue this one. Basically this seems to happen when the AI tries to throw all its forces up one siege tower or one set of ladders. AI troops gather round the base of the ladder or siege tower and the game comes to a crawl. Took me half and hour to complete one small siege battle at 1 fps! I've got a beast of a PC before someone says turn down the graphics. I've tried to do this anyway and it doesn't make any difference - the lag's not caused by graphics.

Please see this topic for further details:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67938

And this screenshot for an example:
https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e65/Taelok/0003.jpg

Maizel
11-11-2006, 15:58
You are correct,

happens to me too.

Usually happens when an amry of around 10 units, attack with 1 set of ladders, a siege tower and a a ram. when the siege tower and the ram get destroyed, all the infantry rush to the ladders, causing major lag, sometimes even crashing my game

hoom
11-11-2006, 15:59
Broken links but sounds like pathfinding issues.

Jambo
11-11-2006, 16:12
Links are fixed now.

Anyone know if this is able to be fixed manually?

Spino
11-11-2006, 19:29
I recall the same thing happened in RTW in bridge battles when the enemy tried to cram too many units across the bridge. I recall making a custom battle with a few elite units with max armor & experience versus three armies of low level troops. Framerate was fine until they all tried to cross the bridge at once. The framerate tanked because all those men were constantly changing direction and walking into one another while trying to find an open path to the other side.

I agree with hoom, it's definitely a pathfinding issue; all those men constantly trying to find alternative routes to get up the ladders and siege engines are sucking up CPU cycles.

Jambo
11-12-2006, 02:13
Well, I've got a high end PC and it brings that to a halt. It must be horrendous for those with lower spec PCs.... I'm surprised more haven't experienced it.

Captainrave
11-12-2006, 03:12
Same happened to me. I can run everything max settings lovely and smooth. But some sieges slow down until their unplayable...only happened on one siege so far though + unfortunately I had to give up.

maestro
11-12-2006, 04:29
I've got a fairly beefy PC too, and I've only noticed it one - but I [i]have[i] experienced it. it was when I was trying to pile loads of units through the gate at the same time - FPS dropped to about 5 or something: certainly stuttered a lot. Guess it must be pathfinding.

Jambo
11-12-2006, 10:48
It's weird because during a siege where this happens, sometimes something changes in the posse of gathered units and the lag completely recovers in an instance - fps going from 1 to 50...

sprucemoose
11-13-2006, 21:51
same here

got a top end PC,but i ended up rebooting as it just stopped fuctioning

bummer!

Matty
11-13-2006, 21:58
yup, same here.

I've also had the AI smash a hole in the castle wall and then head for the unbroken gate....