PDA

View Full Version : World War II Games

Alexios
11-13-2006, 00:35
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good WWII game? I have some ideas, but wanted to hear the opinions of some of the hardcore gamers here at the Org.

Csargo
11-13-2006, 00:41
What kind of game are you looking for? FPS, Real-Time Strategy could you be a little more specific?

Ice
11-13-2006, 00:57
COD2 is fantastic. I also loved Red Orchestra.

Zenicetus
11-13-2006, 02:57
Yep, need more info on what kind of games you like.

I had fun playing COD1 and COD2, but the best WWII game I've played in the last few years is Silent Hunter III (German sub sim). But that's just me... I like simulations first, strategy games second, and the occasional FPS like the COD series as a light entertainment, coffee break game.

Also I don't do mulitplayer (outside of MMORPG's), so if you're looking for multiplayer action, speak up. :beam:

Alexios
11-13-2006, 03:51
Sorry, I guess I was referring to FPS games, although I'm open to any suggestions, as long as its on a PC. I've had my eye on Brothers In Arms for quite some time now.

BTW, I found on gamefaqs.com that the top 10 WWII games are as follows:

#1: Medal of Honor Frontline (Playstation)
#2: Call of Duty 2
#3: Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
#4: Battlefield 1942
#5: Call of Duty
#6: Medal of Honor Allied Assault
#7: Day of Defeat
#8: Medal of Honor
#9: Battleground Europe: World War II Online
#10: Medal of Honor Pacific Assault

Looks like you guys were pretty much right on with COD. :2thumbsup: I'll have to check it out. Thanks a lot for the quick responses!

Sjakihata
11-13-2006, 04:38
Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday

Csargo
11-13-2006, 04:45
Sorry, I guess I was referring to FPS games, although I'm open to any suggestions, as long as its on a PC. I've had my eye on Brothers In Arms for quite some time now.

BTW, I found on gamefaqs.com that the top 10 WWII games are as follows:

#1: Medal of Honor Frontline (Playstation)
#2: Call of Duty 2
#3: Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
#4: Battlefield 1942
#5: Call of Duty
#6: Medal of Honor Allied Assault
#7: Day of Defeat
#8: Medal of Honor
#9: Battleground Europe: World War II Online
#10: Medal of Honor Pacific Assault

Looks like you guys were pretty much right on with COD. :2thumbsup: I'll have to check it out. Thanks a lot for the quick responses!

MoH and CoD are both really good games. I'de choose CoD over MoH though.

Brother in Arms is fun if you like controlling a squad of soldiers and not be on your own running around killing men. That game is more based on tactics more than the other two(outflanking the enemy, coverfire, etc.)in my own opnion. It is a really fun game.

Never played any of the other games up there.

Another game you might wanna look at is HoI2 Doomsday. There's a thread over it in here somewhere. It's a great game, really fun. But it's somewhat hard to get the hang of but once you do it's a great game. You'll never have the same campaign twice. Hope that helps.

Aenlic
11-13-2006, 10:20
I've played WWII Online off and on since it's release. It just keeps getting better. There's a new boxed release coming out next week, I think.

For WWII games, and being online and multi-player, it's a great game. In the early days it was not so good. Now, though, I'd put it right up there as one of the best WWII games of all.

Allies (France and England) versus Germany. It takes place in the early years of the war. You can choose to play as a member of the French or English forces or the Germans, then within that you can choose to play land, air or sea. And you can switch between them as often as you wish.

You start off only being able to use the lower end equipment (rifleman/anti-air/anti-tank/etc., lowest level aircraft, river patrol boat) and as you gain ranks you get access to better choices (submachine gunner, sapper/engineer, better tanks, better planes, and so on). But you can have a blast as a rifleman right from the start and you have plenty of vehicles and artillery to choose from right from the start. You just won't be able to get into the better tanks, like the Tiger and Churchills, and the better planes like the FW-190 in the beginning.

It's exciting to spawn into a pitched city battle, glance out a window and see an enemy officer's head poking up across the street - and then take him out with a rifle shot. Or to wait patiently with your 2 pounder anti-tank gun and see an enemy light tank in your sights. All the while knowing that the guy behind the wheel is a player too, not just the AI. Sneaking up on a tank with a satchel charge and blowing it sky high.

Give it a try. It's certainly addictive. And the best part is, that unlike other MMO's, you don't have to invest a lot of time in the game. You can log on for 20 minutes and engage in a battle then log off and disappear for week and lose nothing and not really fall behind others (except that you might not advance as quick and get into the really sweet gear like Tigers or FW-190's).

Fragony
11-13-2006, 11:31
Silent Storm, WW2 with a twist. Turnbased goodness with fully destructable enviroments, a great sense of humor and mechs.

Yes, mechs.

Husar
11-13-2006, 11:41
Yes, mechs.
Panzerkleins you mean and in my opinion they are completely unbalanced and not much fun.
I did like the infantry part of the game though, they should make JA3 with that engine...

Avicenna
11-13-2006, 14:54
Hearts of Iron 2 (Doomsday preferable) is the best, I'd say. In depth strategy as (practically) any nation, apart from really insignificant ones, ie San Marino, the Vatican, Liechtenstein, Andorra.

There's a game called CoH (company of heroes) which IMHO is bad.

Fragony
11-13-2006, 15:42
Panzerkleins you mean and in my opinion they are completely unbalanced and not much fun.
I did like the infantry part of the game though, they should make JA3 with that engine...

There is this bug that prevents your party from leveling the way they should, you have to manually do that with a cheat. Let me tell you that I really liked what my katana-wielding scout does to these metal creeps :smash:

Stig
11-13-2006, 15:46
People you are all forgetting the best game series

Close Combat ... a work of genius

scotchedpommes
11-13-2006, 16:13
People you are all forgetting the best game series

Close Combat ... a work of genius

Thank-you for mentioning it, Stig. I was beginning to despair. The series is being
reworked [source code included finally, fixing bugs and adding features] and
re-released, so if any of you want to know how it should be done, at least in
terms of real-time tactical operations, look for Close Combat. The first
game to be re-released is a remake of Close Combat III: The Russian Front, to
be called Cross of Iron. After that I imagine IV and V will be remade, and as
I understand it there will also be new games featuring modern conflicts.

Stig
11-13-2006, 16:40
mmmm I was hoping on a remake of CC2, my favorite, but CC3 is damned good too, I saw some screens of it, looks damned good

The Stranger
11-13-2006, 17:03
call of duty 3 is out... its great :P and what about Company of Heroes... its a RTS but its great

Alexander the Pretty Good
11-14-2006, 07:02
SSNeoperestroika - care to share a link to the reworked Close Combat? I haven't seen/heard anything about it...

Stig
11-14-2006, 08:55
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6160284.html?sid=6160284&tag=latestnews;title;1

that is what I read

Slartibardfast
11-14-2006, 13:39
Being an aging pensioner I learnt real quickly to play the demo before purchasing the game. Most WW2 game demos seem to be tepid as compared to red hot.

Of the few that stuck out enough to buy Brothers In Arms was definately worth the price once patched. Out of all the WW2 shooters it offered that small unit NCO role as opposed to the "Solo Man" running in and Bunny Hopping as most WW2 shooters. Though the Normany Invasion has been a safe goal for the games industry, it told a "realistic" story amalgamated from the real life engagments of several units from the US Airbourne during the first seven days of the operation. The men under you are not just BOTS, there survival becomes essential for you to complete missions. If you can't get your squad to its objectives in one piece youv'e failed basic infantry tactics and failed your NPC mates. Makes you appreciate what the real men, Allied and Axis, did during the Allied Landings.

Of the RTS WW2 games, after playing the demo of Company of Heroes I'm seriously considering my cat, Greebo's, food as looking very servicable for sustanance as a means to save the funds for the games purchase. Ah, but thats Howards Australia isn't it.

Alexander the Pretty Good
11-14-2006, 17:17
Thanks, Stig. I can't wait.