PDA

View Full Version : Recruit for the suport of Online CAMPAIGN

The Foolish Horseman
11-19-2006, 20:16
:ave: valiant total warriors

if you are sick of the AI campaign easyness, and wish to play on a massive scale against real enemy factions, then help us to help you with this feat

:help: wanted with tactical maps, model refurbishment, experienced modders, site engineers and administrators

Apply now

TW:CIV team

Members:

Juliussharp
Sanders619
You??

The Foolish Horseman
11-19-2006, 20:18
More information:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=72532

UltraWar
11-21-2006, 18:30
I might help but I'm getting off-put by this same topic appearing again and again. I'd wait to become a Member and post in the RTW Modification forums before you post here.

Juliussharp
11-22-2006, 13:23
Any kind of suport for the idea, so we could make facts and database , to organise a team for it, it will be glad-entry.

juliuss

caravel
11-23-2006, 10:11
This kind of online campaign is just not viable as has been discussed countless times in the past, ad nauseum. People are simply not going to hang around for an hour waiting for someone else to finish fighting a battle. Also I'm not sure how you're going to get Civ4 and RTW to work together... Sorry but it sounds like a a wild concept only, and one that has not been properly thought out. Modding can only do so much, and some of this seems beyond the scope of regular modding.

Juliussharp
11-23-2006, 13:47
You don't have battle every turn !

So you don't have to wait for other to do their battles.

This concept has been succesfully applied to the game Civil War Generals 2, and they are around 20 mens who have compile and make it work this campaign. There are 2 Strategic High Rank Generals, who figth hours with strategic moves , trying to counter the others moves.

That game is made in 1996 , and a campaign is still preparing for 2006 ~!!!!

There is a bunch of old but wise man who figths on that campaign, and i have participate on it . Monday and Tusday we wait for the HIGH RANK to make strategical moves , than we enter on forum to see everyone battles, who is figthing who , what map, and in what conditions.

It is true that in Civil War Generals 2 , a battles last 4-5 hours, and have aproximatives 40-100 turns. :whip:

In RTW we have only maximal half hour for each battle.

Why cannot just open your eyes and see that this is possible with a large numbers of players. :sweatdrop:

There will be 2 Phases: We have 5 days for it.

PHASE 1 : strategic moves in 1 or 2 days. The leaders inside of Civ 4 , where they play on line, they post only human vs human battles , so the battles for maximal importance.

PHASE 2 : over 10 battles in 3 days can be figth on line, and results returned to the strategic map : who wins, who loose, who and what are the damages.

You are telling me there has been discuss before : no it wasn't , it was poorly abandoned when some one said " Civ 4 : TW"

You say it is useless . Well .............prefer to figth against AI , and kill the game , because you all will get bored, prefer to figth in laders , where it will be a very good ranks top , and we will know who is best tactical general , but you will never compete on strategic games level with others players.

Keep the word of Civ 4 and TW a big GAP , so with this words , will never get togther our resorces . All is on your feet and you never want to look .

You play PBEM CAMPAIGN , selling saves games from one from another , ohhh , how cool and terrible must be.

Others telll , to build a program that will count the moves from the campaign map , and you have CIV 4 engine and you just don't want to OPEN YOUR EYES !!!! :thumbsdown:

:wall: IS REALY SAD FOR ALL THE GOOD PPL THAT LOST THEIR TIME IN SINGLE PLAYER MODE AND NEVER WANT TO OPEN THEIR EYES! :furious3:

very sad

good that old ppl , and old men, know how to figth a game from 1996 , with very poor graphics , but with very good gameplay , and only with tactical battles, they did it and succed it , to make a strategic map from the tactical one , to make units, to make all historical parts, to let the fans of their games to have their own leadership , and each of them a army to figth in their own campaign, they succed it to do it . And other who are playing ten of games , and have so much experience in moding and in building scenarios, are not able to open eyes to see how easy this could be .

:skull:

caravel
11-23-2006, 14:42
You still haven't provided any hard data about how Civ4 is going to pass the battle data to RTW, how the battles from RTW will pass data back to Civ4, how the units stats will transfer between battles, nor, in general, how you will integrate two totally different games. Provide the methodology behind this, and maybe more people will show an interest.

Also the hierarchical structure of this game, you speak of higher players playing an online Civ4 game and other players playing the RTW battles. This kind of defeats the object. What you're proposing here is MP Civ4 with MP RTW battles. We already have MP RTW battles. What you are not proposing is a true RTW MP campaign. I doubt you'll get many takers.

Also regarding your "Multiplayer Elitist" comments about Single Player games. The Single Player campaign is one of the fundamentals of TW games. Without it the game would be very empty. The magic of TW games is the combination of the campaign map with the real time battles. The AI isn't perfect, it never is, but MP is not everyone's cup of tea for many reasons. A true muliplayer campaign for RTW would be virtually impossible, as if there were 4 factions controlled by humans, they would still have an unfair advantage over the AI factions. Then it would involve those 4 factions and a few reappearances by the AI until it is resolved. Every year one of those human players is probably going to fight some kind of battle, due to the vast number of provinces they'd be controlling, also he's going to sit there and think before making moves, so the slowness of this and all of the waiting time would be the real problem. The real time battles don't have this problem which is why they lend themselves to MP gameplay.

Rodion Romanovich
11-23-2006, 17:36
Best way to manage to make a multiplayer TW campaign would be to ask Myrddraal, he solved all problems related to it except one little script command that wasn't unlocked by CA in RTW. If CA would unlock that script command or a corresponding command in M2TW, the modding community could make an MP campaign. Naturally, an MP campaign would probably have to be different in terms of having fewer cities, smaller map and many other factors in order to be feasible for clans and players to actually play, because of the difficulty of coordinating players for an MP campaign.

Juliussharp
11-24-2006, 09:34
yes is ture, as LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix.

Also i have take notice of NTW2, wich it is a great project.

That is some kind of team , who can do one on line campaign.

I didn't say it would be easy . But is not impossible.

Also we must meet on line for discussion, to give you certain example, that "the earth is moving around the sun".

The TW limits our playgame , and is sad that we cannot interact with each other.

I have writen to Myrddraal, and he didn't answer till now. So i guess this is a dead project, if everyone see it imposible to run it, or to long will take.

But LegioXXXUlpiaVictrix did say somethin very true. The map don't need to be so complex and so large, and so many cities , and we need many factions, so ppl can interact with plenty of battles. Still each of them will have their own war.

king regards ,

i just like to think, with this posts, we will continue "mind-research" to see that it will be possible to meet everyone in on-line-campaigns.

Also , MTW2 give us one true option - battle that long much time - this will give more complex and hard battles.

I have told you already , this idea of on line campaign, based on a original game , and another to suport strategic moves, is not new. IT has been done , with strategic turns , and tactical battles , on smaller and with less smart people. But they succed it , why can't we ?

I will speak with the :Lordz, they will understand the concept more closely , and i think their leader - project will take in consideration all possibilities.

thank you for all who post here:egypt:

GoldenGod
12-06-2006, 04:03
Another game i play is the good old Close Combat series. #3 had no strat map, just a linier campaign so dedicated fans worked out MMCC3 (Massive Multiplayer Close Combat3) and gave the game a strat layer.

You can nominate several names thereby playing on both/(All?) sides, you can play H2H online or on line Vs the AI. Something along these lines might be applicable

Juliussharp
12-06-2006, 21:38
Not single case . Many good games have only tactical, and fans create the strategic map, to count the moves.

Can you help us and give some more detalis about the layers from CC3 ?

Is one of {was} prefered games.....

tks goldengod

percy13
12-06-2006, 22:07
I'd suggest a web-based game would be best for any Total War MP game. Get a map, have it squared or hexed off and then hosted and integrated with a PHP bit of coding to allow units to move around, terrain to be covered for movement, have cities on the map etc. You can also have a working economy and city infrastructure.

I organised such a game based on Lord of the Rings 3rd Age which has been going for nearly two years now.

For a Total War version, each unit would actually be represented on the map and can have varying unit movement, zones of control, viewing range (representing scouts) and you can even have hidden units which are given a chance between 1-99% of not being seen by the enemy until they strike. Naval movement and transport is also doable.

A few images to illustrate what I'm talking about:

https://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=org1hi1.jpg

https://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=org2ig2.jpg

https://img118.imageshack.us/my.php?image=org3tu5.jpg

https://img57.imageshack.us/my.php?image=org4hd8.jpg

When armies attack each other players could simply battle it out online.

This does take a fair amount of work but there is a template for doing it now. I've got an IT guy who does all the technical stuff who might be able to help but he is working on a hideously complex Space War game so I couldn't guarantee it I'm afraid. But anyone who knows PHP could do this.

I also should add that you do need a referee to oversee some things such as a huge army attacking 100 troops as no one wants to fight such a ting so it should be done by the ref or the system can do it automatically.

p.s I'd be happy to host such a game or a hundred of then so I can join in. The server has 330 gig bandwidth per month which I doubt I'll ever really make a dent in.

Juliussharp
12-07-2006, 19:39
superb, superb superb , so some one did do this , in other sistem and on other sistems :)

That's a BIG step ahead , and i am lucky that you post on out topic. Thanks.

Is good to hear that some other person use the php and coding sistem , and web-sistem for a strategic map. This is good for future porposes.

From the moment we will have a team for this , we will start working for it.

Surely i will start for my self a prototype simple sistem to see it will work.

A single map and several tactical examples.

How can i contact you on line Pleasy ? you have my adress, if you can add me on you messager for few words, thanks

good luck in middle earth

percy13
12-07-2006, 23:47
I don't use msn I'm afraid as I find it so damned overwhelming as all the Lord of the Rings players use it and verbally attack me for advice and information every time I used to log on. It terrifies me in fact! :help: So I've not even installed it on the pc I bought last month for MTW2! :beam:

If you wouldn't mind joing my place:

http://forumgaming.com (sorry if posting this is against the rules - please delete if so)

I'll set up a section to give you any and all advice you'd need to set up such a game. It is a lot of work but very doble with a methodical approach and some enthusiasm. We'll soon have a Shogun and a Game of Thrones game on the go soon too. But the difficult aspect is the IT side because you need someone who knows PHP. I know only a little PHP but the IT guy I have (Eriol) says its pretty easy for him. He does it for fun.

Actually, if you did join and post about this idea I'm sure you'd get people offering to help. The more people the better I'd say.

Once you're all set up its easy to get players by the way!

GoldenGod
12-08-2006, 04:58
Not single case . Many good games have only tactical, and fans create the strategic map, to count the moves.

Can you help us and give some more detalis about the layers from CC3 ?

Is one of {was} prefered games.....

tks goldengod

Firstly I've never played the mmcc3, I'm still on 56k dial up and other issues have prevented it but as an overview from what I understand...

The original CC3 came out with about 28 maps to be fought in a linear campaign, fans of the game have produced over a thousand user maps. These can be put into mmcc3 based on season and I based on urban/rural. I think the scale of the campaign can be limitless dependant only on map availability or map reptition.

Detail here http://www.closecombat.org/forums Scroll down to the mmcc3 thread. Also there will be a chance test this new strat layer as the whole CC series is being rereleased and cc3 in particular has been modded to include many fan based modifications including the mmcc3 concept. Supposed to be coming out before Xmas.

Juliussharp
12-08-2006, 05:14
Thank you for the hints, i will go and search how is working. Maybe i will test some of it :)

good luck

Juliussharp
12-08-2006, 19:26
***********I'll set up a section to give you any and all advice you'd need to set up such a game. It is a lot of work but very doble with a methodical approach and some enthusiasm. We'll soon have a Shogun and a Game of Thrones game on the go soon too. But the difficult aspect is the IT side because you need someone who knows PHP. I know only a little PHP but the IT guy I have (Eriol) says its pretty easy for him. He does it for fun.

Actually, if you did join and post about this idea I'm sure you'd get people offering to help. The more people the better I'd say.

Once you're all set up its easy to get players by the way!************

This will be a good step . From the moment i will take my time for the project i will join and contact you for a little space for the project.

thanks a lot for the detalis, is the first time as some one realy cares :)

percy13
12-08-2006, 20:19
Excellent. :beam: