PDA

View Full Version : Polynesia Interactive History

Marshal Murat
12-04-2006, 02:17
Heniama Auoliani is your name, and your tribe is the Amani.
Your tribe has lived on the north western end of Maui since the first canoes beached on the southern beaches. The island of Maui was plentiful, with a fertile, tropical valley between the two volcanoes. The island is about 24 miles long, from west to east, with a volcano on the east and western ends of the island. The western tip is round, with a two mile isthmus that connects it to the other part of Maui. The fertile valley, and then the mountains that cover the southern end of Maui.
Your tribe has lived with the Huani tribe on the north-western tip, both tribes a thousand warriors strong. The Ranani tribe lives in the valley, fielding about three thousand warriors at a time. Then, the smallest tribe, with five hundred warriors, the Aumani, the isthmus dwellers.

Your tribes lands have been good, yielding taro and sweet potatoes that can feed your entire tribe. The canoes that go out also have yielded a surplus of food for your peoples. However, a sudden shift in power has caused conflict. The Aumani chieftain has died, and his tribe is without a leader. The Ranani chieftain has called for a meeting of the tribes at the heiau of the Aumani. The sacred ground of the Aumani heiau is a safe place for you to meet with the other chieftains.

You go with fifty bodyguards to the Aumani heiau, meeting the other tribe chieftains there. It was mid-day when you reached the heiau, the sun at its zenith. Not a cloud covered the sapphire blue sky, and the heiau was cool. The box shaped sanctuary was a temple to the gods, and fine it was. The heiau was bordered by a six foot wall of shells and stone mix, the temple itself rising above the heiau, revealing the palm tree structure.
The Ranani, Huani, and yourself, Auoliani, sat down on the stomped flat space in the center of the heiau. The bodyguards were sitting outside the heiau.
The Ranani chieftain begins the meeting.
"Chieftains, I am asking that you all bow to my demands. Yield your tribes and their crops to me and my tribe." Ama'a'a, Ranani chieftain, hadn't been very subtle in his rule, going straight for the throat.
Anger and disgust well up in you, and Huani chieftain are angered by such a proposal. You leave immediately, and are blocked by the bodyguards of the Ranani chieftain, and a battle ensues, you and your erstwhile ally fighting single-handedly, awaitng your bodyguards arrival. They appear a few seconds later, allowing you to break away.

Rushing back to your tribe, you prepare them for battle. The Huani hadn't said anything about joining against the Ranani tribesmen, but you can't assume much in the time of troubles. You talk to the three elders in your tribe. Aunai, the canoe-builder, Luia the stone-cracker, and Pua'a the farmer.
Aunai suggests this
"Send your warriors against the Ranani, strike them quickly and take the heiau, secure the gate to your tribe lands."
Luia suggests this
"Build a fort on the passage to your tribe lands. Ask for Huani help, and then launch your attack on the Ranani."
Pua'a says "Send an envoy to your cousin on Oahu and have him bring his tribesmen to fight the Ranani."
1,2, or 3?

Background on Polynesian Warfare
Battles are something like Trojan warfare, with champions fighting to decide the battle, or a general brawl.
Weapons are spears, javelins, slings, and clubs. Shark tooth clubs are common, ripping skin apart.

Warluster
12-04-2006, 03:28
I would say 2, or 3, yeah, I will choose three, because if you build your fort, then they could attack you and bang, you rgone, they charge through, where with 3 you get ome more troops to kill them with! number 1 is bad because there is so many.

Papewaio
12-04-2006, 03:34
You talk to the three elders in your tribe. Aunai, the canoe-builder, Luia the stone-cracker, and Pua'a the farmer.
Aunai suggests this
"Send your warriors against the Ranani, strike them quickly and take the heiau, secure the gate to your tribe lands."
Luia suggests this
"Build a fort on the passage to your tribe lands. Ask for Huani help, and then launch your attack on the Ranani."
Pua'a says "Send an envoy to your cousin on Oahu and have him bring his tribesmen to fight the Ranani."
1,2, or 3?

I would do 2 and 3 to create a 3 tribe alliance to then attack the Ranani.

Marshal Murat
12-07-2006, 03:50
You decide that you'll ask for help from Oahu, and build a fort, talk to the Huani. You send a priest to talk to the Huani. You send your son to your brother, hoping he'll join with his tribesmen. The fort is built on the stream that divides your land from the Ranani.

The next week goes by calmly, as you salt the fish, and stock up on your food. You sacrifice to Ku, the god of war and death. Then, the battle came.

The Ranani attack the fort, lead by Ama'a'a. His prowess and that of his soldiers leads the day, destroying the hundred man garrison. Luckily, they took about three hundred of the Ranani tribesmen. The Huani return with their report, and say that they will join the tribe against the Ranani.
Then, your brother appears with his canoes of about five hundred men, with the promise of another thousand more.

Talking to your brother, Kiluani, the Huani captain Lukili, and your son, Hu'a'a.
"We've got about the same number of warriors. We can attack them now, and kill more of them." YOur brother was always the hot-head.
"Launch an assault behind the enemy lines, and massacre some of the enemy villages." Lukili argued.
Hu'a'a suggested that they not do anything at all.

1,2,3?

Warluster
12-07-2006, 06:57
2 and then 3.

Gurkhal
12-07-2006, 14:28
I say two. Let's keep the enemy off balance and force him to divide his men in order to protect his homelands while we wait for our allies. The prospect of having their own lands ravaged might also be something which could however make the enemy move even faster and with more brutality into our own lands, yet I think it's a risk we must take.

Julian the apostate
12-11-2006, 06:23
did the enemy occupy the fort, destroy it or just leave afterwards. i'd say refortifying it may be a good idea with a far larger garrision mabye the brothers men