PDA

View Full Version : 0.8x AI Faction Progression

Pages : [1] 2 3

Teleklos Archelaou
12-06-2006, 07:03
So, how are the AI factions behaving and expanding in your game? This is something we quite honestly have very little direct control over, but we do have indirect control. Evidence:

-We were having a bad problem with Baktria expanding directly into the steppe to the northwest after we gave them those two new provinces, but by making the road from Baktra go east on the south side of the river instead of the north, and by making Mazsakata and Bin-kath's provinces touch each other above Sogdiane, we have pretty much stopped this, or at least greatly lessened it.

-We've also kept Hayasdan from heading north so much by allowing passages out of the mountains north towards Uspe, but by not allowing roads, and by altering the province boundaries there too.

So, how is the AI behaving in your games? Minimaps with dates are *particulary* welcome here. I'll start you off with mine. (I'd recommend folks make theirs 200% normal size for ease of reading, but 100% is ok if need be):

https://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2257/ai08255jm0.jpg

======================
This is in 255, and I've been playing as the Sweboz.

Highlights:
-I'm really loving how Qarthadastim are expanding. Moving along the Mediterranean seaboard in Iberia is just perfect.
-Baktria is moving slowly, but we also are very happy that they have gone after Kophen first and are moving towards India. They have armies on the road to Taxilia right now, but haven't taken it yet.
-Romans had a tough time with Aedui at first, but have recently defeated them in north Italy. In the south they are sieging Syracuse now with a mixed army and a number of Greek units in tow.
-Koinon Hellenon were destroyed.
-Pontos is moving along very nicely. They haven't been too strong in other games I've played, so this is a nice change. Note that Pontos has taken Byzantion too, as well as Ankyra and Sinope and Trapezous and Nikaia.
-Sabaeans have taken two cities and when Gerrha rebelled from the Seleukids, it rebelled to them. Pretty good overall I'd say. No parthians here! :grin:
-Nomads aren't faring well it seems. We've talked about doing something to help them out more, but for now they are pretty weak it seems.
-Seleukids have been too strong for Pontos, Hayasdan, Pahlava, or Baktria to make inroads, but of course the Ptolemies are hard to stop, and they've taken Antiocheia from Seleukos.
-Maks and Epeiros are doing ok, but I doubt Epeiros can survive like that. They have to expand or they get crushed.

Moros
12-06-2006, 14:45
In my 0.8 campaign (will post a pic later) the romans started a conquer spree in the north. They have the south of gaul and some provinces in the east of Italy too. Some other factions seem to be kind of sleeping. Lusotanann only recruits a unit every turn and that's it. Same for the casse. The saba have conquered one settlement and are now building up an army as the rebels are damn strong. The Seleukids seem to have the upperhand in the seleukids vs ptolemaioi war. Karthadashtim don't do much but they are so rich. Sauromatae, haven't done to much as they are still to weak to expand. Saka have conquered 2 settlement and are doing it nic and slowly. Baktria has a lot of armies but look like they're going for a verry slow expansion. Pontus has made only one town theirs but face quite strong rebels. Macedon took athens but lost Korinth. Epirus hasn't done much except for conquering dalmatia and trying to fight of the romans. Getae are doing quite well, they have conquered 2 settlements and have build up a full stack to take sarmiszegetusa (spelling). Pahlava haven't done much. I'm Hayasdan and I'm understanding why they wanted to go north, that's what I'm doing as it is to soon for fighting the seluekids. And the rebels in the south are damn strong. So first some settlements in the north untill I have enough power to take those rebel powerhouses and turn my attention to the seleukids.

Edit: forgot the Aedui, Arverni and Sweboz.
Aedui, they are having the upperhand in the arverni aedui war. They conquered one or two rebel settlemetns (not sure) and one arverni. But the Romans are blitzing the rebels and will soon be knocking on some Aedui gates.

Edit2: oh yeah the Sweboz: they are doing good, powerfull armies and are conquering one rebel settlement at a time. They are going to be quite a rival for the blitzing Romans.

Dram
12-06-2006, 15:16
how do you make it so you can see everything on the campaign map?

Teleklos Archelaou
12-06-2006, 15:34
hit the tilde key (~) and then type toggle_fow

I ran an -ai game as ptolemies last night as I was going to bed. It made it to 221 without crashing. Now, that's not really 221 though, as the scripts don't load on the -ai games, and so there aren't four turns a year, just two.

Anyway, here it is, a little wackier than my first one:
https://img254.imageshack.us/img254/4418/ai08221rt7.jpg

-Unfortunately the romans headed into the one direction there was no other factions: northeast. Very odd there, but you can see the Arverni are pretty strong in southern Gaul, so they are avoiding them. RTW itself is to blame otherwise as the Romans aren't hopping on boats and going anywhere yet. Sicily is still there too though.
-Baktrian expansion is ok, though not as ideal as I'd like it.
-Saka are doing pretty well, but Sarmatians are sitting still.
-KH is still alive just on Rhodes, but Casse are wiped out.
-Bye bye Getai.
-Pontos has taken Byzantion now two games in a row that I've seen.
-Seleukids and Ptolemies aren't monsters, which is nice.

Moros
12-06-2006, 20:34
The casse, pahlava, Lusotanann and sauromatae worry me. And saba might need some extra power too.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-06-2006, 20:56
Well, casse shouldn't really expand. Much. Every so often taking the british isles is what I think we hope for. ANd it just needs some tweaking up there. Casse should be damned hard for the player. Hardest of all probably.

Saba will get better as more units get in. Sorta the same with lusotannan. We'll work on them.

Pahlava is the tough spot. They are encroached all around. We need to weaken the seleukids more maybe somehow. Or give the pahlava more spies in those seleukid towns to compel them to revolt. Something like that.

Moros
12-06-2006, 22:39
Yeah, you're right. I hope that the spies work for Pahlava or some other trick.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-07-2006, 00:44
What about making the Parthians the founder of most of the eastern seleucid towns? To make it easier for Palav to take and to represent them being more loyal to a Persian-like group rather than a Greek-like group.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-07-2006, 01:13
they are. Check the culture/creator/owner maps of that area and you'll see most of those provinces have parthian creators. And indeed, if the Seleukids lose a city to rebellion sometimes it will go parthian, which really helps them. That's what we have to keep working on though, making it awfully hard for Seleukids to maintain those places.

abou
12-07-2006, 05:51
My Seleukidos campaign.

http://abou.heliologue.com/uploads/ai_mid265.jpg

I first started playing on H/M, but everything fell apart on me so I restarted on M/M. Their position is much more difficult than in 0.74, but I am glad to see that build times for buildings has been much reduced.

AI hasn't expanded that much, but that may be because it isn't getting the money it would on harder settings. Regardless, Pahlava attacked me as early as 269 BC, which irritated me and it took some very hard-fought battles to take only one of their settlements.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-07-2006, 10:17
they are. Check the culture/creator/owner maps of that area and you'll see most of those provinces have parthian creators. And indeed, if the Seleukids lose a city to rebellion sometimes it will go parthian, which really helps them. That's what we have to keep working on though, making it awfully hard for Seleukids to maintain those places.

A couple are, I meant all of them east of Susa. :2thumbsup:

CountArach
12-07-2006, 10:47
My Seleukidos campaign.

http://abou.heliologue.com/uploads/ai_mid265.jpg

I first started playing on H/M, but everything fell apart on me so I restarted on M/M. Their position is much more difficult than in 0.74, but I am glad to see that build times for buildings has been much reduced.

AI hasn't expanded that much, but that may be because it isn't getting the money it would on harder settings. Regardless, Pahlava attacked me as early as 269 BC, which irritated me and it took some very hard-fought battles to take only one of their settlements.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't read the title...

Oleo
12-07-2006, 20:08
Casse campaign 250 BC

https://img128.imageshack.us/img128/8717/aiexp250bcrj3.jpg

Teleklos Archelaou
12-08-2006, 00:27
Oleo's Casse: Glad to see saka moving. Pontos too. Looks like Makedonia is doing well in all of these - they will be somewhat reduced in power in the next patch btw. Good to see Lusotannan expanding too. And saba in a cohesive group.

Abou's Seleukid: only seven years in, but look at the casse! :grin: Saka getting binkath is good too. And lusotannan is growing. All of that is good. Romans too strong early on it seems. Sweboz looks good. Only thing I'm consistently seeing that is bad is Sarmatian stagnation.

Constantine the Great
12-08-2006, 00:50
I'll add a picture and some more info later, but from what I can tell in my Baktria campaign, things are kinda wierd. Haysadan, Pontos, and Pahlava all declared war on Seleukid around 279 BC, but I stayed allied to Seleukid. Saka have taken one settlement and have parked an army close to Alexandreia-Esc-something (can't remember spelling) I've been able to take Kophen, but the town north of Kophen and the towns in the Indus Valley have very strong armies. From what I can tell, Rome chased Epeiros out of Italy very fast, and everyone has been signing ceasefires except Seleukid and their rivals. I'll put up a map pic in a bit.

Gazius
12-08-2006, 02:05
If I use toggle_fow, can I turn it off again and have everything go back to normal, or will everything be permanently visible?

Justiciar
12-08-2006, 03:07
Just re-type it.

Gazius
12-08-2006, 08:15
https://img228.imageshack.us/img228/28/wowdh7.th.jpg (https://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wowdh7.jpg)

I was decidely pleased with what I saw when I turned off FoW that I just left the entire picture, not to mention I don't know how to use paint and photoshop hates me today. To see them not only expanding and dominating in greece, but to have launched a invasion of crete is a exciting improvement, at least to me anyhow.

It seems like a lot of factions, Lusotannan and Sabeans took one province, and now just mill around, while surrounded by large rebel stacks. The Getai are so surrounded by them that I think it's the main reason they have done nothing but create a fortress out of their only city. Carthage landed two armies in Italy, and then I ousted them out of Lilibeo easily with a rather cheap seeming bribe, until I was distracted elsewhere and they brought the hammer down on my head. Was quite worried there for a while, especially since I didn't want to give up my current operations in the north and south. Seems rather tame for the stage of the game. I'll post more as I go along. Also note, I'm playing M/M so maybe that has something to do with it.

Oleo
12-08-2006, 20:34
20 years later: 230BC:

Although they fight a lot, Carthage and Ptolemies arent really progressing. Macedon however is well insane is the word I guess. Rome allies with Macedon, Epeiros protectorate of Rome.

https://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6761/230bczl3.jpg

By the way 5 years later, Sauromatae decimated, all sweboz towns captured, although some are revolting and again, so sweboz is still alive.

My single belgian province is almost bordering Macedon :sweatdrop:

Casuir
12-08-2006, 21:38
Casse on H/H 250bc Gave myself a cash injection at the start btw, dont like slow starts. Wouldnt be anywhere without Barae though, mans practically a god at this stage.
https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6118/image1po2.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
Only town I captured that actually produced any units was Attuaca, rest all had the units they started with, Ivernis for example was only defended by two ordmhornaghta. Noticed as well some of the rebel cities on the continent are churning out lugoae every turn while others dont produce anything, some large stacks roaming around composed solely of them. Even the romans seem to favour them for whatever reason, have large groups of them with a few triari fighting their aedui kin.

In the east seleucid is at war with everyone around it, who seem to be all allied to each other. Saka are a protectorate of Bactria, doesnt really like they're up to much, two towns and about 250 horsemen to their name. Same with the Sauromatae, small armies and hemmed in by cities with huge rebel garrisons, doesnt look like they're going to get anywhere fast. Saba's got some extra provinces by rebellion by the looks of it, doesnt look like they're at much in their home provinces though.

Europes a bit more lively, Aedui getting hammered by the Romans and Averni, Casse are about to jump on their backs. Makedonias been banished to a couple of islands, Getai and Epiros expanding northwards, though the romans seem to be curbing the epirotes a bit. Sweboz not doing a whole pile, some devastation around one of the neighbouring rebel cities though.

Btw noticed a couple of things, dont seem to be able to recruit mala gaeroas or archers, had a gawk at the edb and see theres 3 seperate barrack threads. There 3 seperate reforms for celts? If so whats the conditions for them? Also seems to be a major pirate problem around the british isles, this intentional?

Top work btw, enjoying it far more than .7s

Constantine the Great
12-08-2006, 21:43
Look at Baktria go! And they still haven't taking that one rebel town that I'm stuck on!:laugh4:

Edit: Referring to Oleo's game.

Moros
12-08-2006, 21:53
About the gallic reforms it's in the FAQ.

Bava
12-08-2006, 22:40
Bactrian Campaign, 250 BCE, H\H with BI-exe.

https://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7169/rometwbiskaliert1bk2.png

One of the best campaigns i ever had(surely the most immersive one), seleukids are really strong, had a nice fight for alexandria-something (city under Bactra) for 5 years.

The most amazing thing is that Koinon Hellenon managed to send a full stack to Hallikarnassos and conquer it.

Edit: OMG!!! Had a look at the posts above, i´m doing worse than the AI Bactria in Casuir´s campaign! Grmmpf....

Teleklos Archelaou
12-08-2006, 22:57
Wow, that's nice parthian, saka, and sarmatian expansion in your campaign BB. Plus Casse took a province, and lusotannan a couple more.

Holy crap, the romans sent ships with troops and took corsica and sardinia!

A cohesive sabaean empire too. Static Ptolemies. That's a great map!

paullus
12-08-2006, 23:18
Edit: OMG!!! Had a look at the posts above, i´m doing worse than the AI Bactria in Casuir´s campaign! Grmmpf....

:laugh4:

Its good to see some Getic expansion in these. And that's the best Saba expansion I've seen in just 22 years. could running off bi be helping?

Bava
12-08-2006, 23:36
Holy crap, the romans sent ships with troops and took corsica and sardinia!

Well, Qart Hadasht sent the faction heir + a full stack to reconquer it. :laugh4:
poor romans...

But i´m quite used to the Battle Of Sardinia ( i´m a RTRPE convert), the fact that KH took Hallikarnasos was the real surprise to me.

Will give you guys an update tomorrow.

***off to kick some seleukid butt***

Constantine the Great
12-08-2006, 23:47
I'd post my map if I could figure out how...

abou
12-09-2006, 05:09
http://abou.heliologue.com/uploads/ai_early256BC.jpg

Continuing my campaign. I did a full-screen shot so you could see what Casse was up to, TA. They are definitely on the move and doing much better than some factions with easier starting positions - Makedonia for example.

Speaking of which, I may have to go to war with Pontos to secure Anatolia for a solid base of attack into Hellas. Politically, intervention would be necessary to prevent the homeland from falling into the hands of improper successors.

Bava
12-09-2006, 13:20
I'd post my map if I could figure out how...

I´m using Fraps and Gimp2. Download both and run fraps together with RTW then press ~, type toggle_fow, press enter, take a screen shot (default key is F10) and edit it with Gimp (cut out the campaign map overview and resize it to 200%), upload it (imageshack is quite good). Voilá!

Hope that helps!

Casuir
12-09-2006, 14:42
Or you could just press printscreen and alt tab to your prefered graphics prog and paste new image.

https://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7389/image1ip7.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
240 BC, not a whole of movement, kept my own to a minimum.

Saka, Sauromatae, Sweboz, Saba, Makedonia and Hayasadan are all stagnant. Worst is Sauromatae who seem to have severe financial difficulties, their financial rating is a flat line from the start and their 3 cities are generating negative income. Military ranking is a slow climb so I'm guessing they have money problems from the start.

Hayasadan seem to have probs getting going as well.

Saba do quite well financially by the looks of things, though a rebellion in Kush brought 17 Ethiopian axemen guys into their camp who at 400 each per turn quickly drained their coffers. Dont seem to make any shapes at the neighbouring provinces.

On Naval stuff Cartage had large stacks on the Balearics and Corsica/Sardinia which it moved to spain and sicily respectively, also shipping stacks from North Africa this turn by the looks of it. North Sea is absolutly littered with pirates, counted at least 10 fleets, all with multiple ships. Given the prohibitive costs of navys you might want to tone this down.

Rebel AI seems to be ok, twice I've had cities laid seige to by spawned rebels and lost Ivernis to a band of goidils who assaulted it before I could get reinforcements there. Langers.

About the gallic reforms it's in the FAQ.

It says Aedui/Averni get them at 251bc, I'm at Casse at 240 bc without seeing them which is why I asked. N/m though I looked in the script and they dont happen for anyone till much later.

Daimon
12-09-2006, 14:57
Here is mine (Playing as the Romani)

https://img182.imageshack.us/img182/434/ebcampaignko2.jpg

A very intresting campaign and it looks like the year 262 will be the start of some great wars and expansion and i had a couple of nasty suprises in the
form of naval Landings near Taras in 271 and the other one was near Lilibeo in 264 the year that Scipio took Lilibeo but he was forced out by a full stack.

Arverni - Not done much but they have some full stacks

Aedui - Also not done much. But they also gatherd their banners and are marching to the Arverni

Baktria - Has not done much, but i can see two full stacks marching in India so they have plans

Casse - Same story, Full stack marching to rebel provinces

Epeiros - Afther i had beaten them near Taras in 271 they focused together with Konion Hellenon against Macedon they took Pella in 267 (Was following the war with one of my spies)

Getai - Full stack story again

Hayasdan - Not much to tell, just sitting in there settelments doing nothing

Karthadastim - Well one of the most powerfull factions in game i think. Got some full stacks, One in Iberia, Sicily on Two on the mainland. But since they are in war with me i don't got any high hopes for them. Also they did suprise me when they landed a full stack in Sicily

Konion Hellenon - Took Conrith in 269 and then together with Epeiros fought a hard fought war against Macedon

Lusotannan - Allmost no activity

Makedonia - Is fighting a hard fought war with Epeiros and Konion Hellenon it looks like they are preparing a counter offensive on Athens and Pella

Pontus - Well the Full stack story one more marching to Seleukia

Potomalic - Well very intresting, they are fighting a war with Seleukia. Mainly in Asia Minor. They are winning but i think that will soon change because one of the great Generals of Seleukia: Sarpardon Syriados (This guy has great stats) has assembeld a army.

Sweboz/Saka Rauka/Sauromatea - Are building op their forces slowly

All with all.. Very intresting and i'm looking forward to some expansion

Bava
12-09-2006, 16:28
https://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2166/rometwbi240cd6.png

update of my bactrian campaign.

lots of nice things happening, after reconquering Sardinia Qart Hadasht invaded Italy and is currently laying siege to capua. Epirote took Rhegium and is heading north while 4-5 roman full stacks are trying to fight off the Aedui and Averni.

The Sauromatae went west and are sieging Gelonus atm.

One casse full stack is laying siege to Attuaca.

But my absolute favourite are the Sabeae. They conquered Petra and sent two(!) full stacks to Alexandria in a head to head race with one Seleukid army (greedy bastards :laugh4:).

Oh, and after 30 years Pahlava and Saka Raukae broke their alliances with me and allied up with the Seleukids so the next years are going to be a challenge.

I LOVE THIS GAME!

btw, 32 years and not a single ctd! great job guys!

BozosLiveHere
12-09-2006, 16:35
It says Aedui/Averni get them at 251bc, I'm at Casse at 240 bc without seeing them which is why I asked. N/m though I looked in the script and they dont happen for anyone till much later.

You are right, I must have been drunk when I wrote that. Correct dates are 220BC and 120BC.

Septimus
12-09-2006, 17:54
I'm in year 263 and a very interesting series of alliances has occurred, well interesting in my opinion. To combat the Makedonian advances the Getai, Koinon Hellenon, and Epeiros have a three way alliance. As I type this Epeiros is sending two large armies into the heart of Macedon, Getai have an army on the way to Tylis to cut off their expansion there, and Koinon Hellenon Well... they're driving back the forces headed for Sparte which I think is admirable enough. I'm really excited to see where this is going, but I'm afraid it's going to result in Makedonian dominance of the area since I am about to interfere with Epeiros.

Edit:

Year 260 and the "Anti-Mak" League, as I have so fondly begun to call it, has grown from just Getai, the Hellenes, and Epeiros to include Pontus and the Seleukids. Despite this now five-way alliance they have only caused a stall in Makedonian growth because they can't seem to coordinate attacks. Each will send one in at a time and be wiped out. Hellenes still hold Sparte, Epeiros has lost one province to Makedonia and are down to only two. Getai have expanded nicely, creating a long border to the south with Makedonia. Seleukids are trying to fight back some Makedonian incursions into the Agaean coast. Pontos is holding them on their eastward spread. Can't wait to see how this turns out - hope they'll work together and rid the Makedonians of their territories!

Teleklos Archelaou
12-09-2006, 21:54
I wonder what the key is for Sarmatians, Saka, and Casse? In some campaigns all three can do great. In others they just stagnate.

Janius
12-10-2006, 00:43
My Romani campaign:

https://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7179/256bcum7.jpg

The campaign is running smooth, but I have one problem:
The Polybian reform hasn't happened,
now I've read the faq and conquered all the settlements that are needed, but nothing happened...
Do I have to wait longer before it is triggered or is it some kind of bug :help:

Casuir
12-10-2006, 00:43
Well, the nomads burn through the 30,000 they get at the start in about 5 turns, after that I'm guessing if they dont move fairly quickly they're just in too deep a hole to pull themselves out of. Maybe move their armies closer to enemy cities, they seem to mill about the steppes a lot.
https://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8696/image1fb3.th.jpg (https://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image1fb3.jpg)
Just checked the sauromatae cities and their combined income is -5900 a year, not nice.

Cataclysm
12-10-2006, 00:48
Yo,

Here is my Carthage campaign: 251

https://img184.imageshack.us/img184/5628/expansionwb1.jpg

Not much expansion from the Gauls, Sweboz or Iberia. Greece is a stalemate eventhough the Maks are down to Pella, the Greeks have been seiging it for the last decade but can't capture it.

Baktria went to the north and the Ptolomies have most of Asia Minor. I'm not at war with them yet, but having just taken Cyrene will change that soon.

I also thought this was interesting:
https://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8481/romeprotecthw1.jpg

Rome has three protectorates and is now at war with the getai. Maybe they will be #4?

Towwb
12-10-2006, 09:16
Spring 257 of my Romani campaign.

https://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3002/eb8romaniexpansionpi3.jpg

Posted full-size because, well, I've never seen KH push Makedon this hard, this early. Demetrias has changed hands half a dozen times already. Instead of facing the Ptolemaics head-on, the Seleukids are letting themselves be pushed into the steppes. Carthage just declared on me two turns ago despite numerous large stacks in the west securing the edge and the riches of Iberia being much more lightly guarded than the fields of Sicily. The Ptolemaics and Carthaginians skirmished some over Kyrene, but the central desert has been oddly quiet.

Oleo
12-10-2006, 10:51
My Romani campaign:

The campaign is running smooth, but I have one problem:
The Polybian reform hasn't happened,
now I've read the faq and conquered all the settlements that are needed, but nothing happened...
Do I have to wait longer before it is triggered or is it some kind of bug :help:

They seem to have a condition of +- 30 years played -> they should be triggered approx. 240 BC.

Sdragon
12-10-2006, 12:41
Shot of my Selucid campaign Getting quite a bit from my mines. :)
Messed up the image compression a little bit.
[URL=https://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8592/romeyn2.jpg]

Conqueror
12-10-2006, 21:18
https://img470.imageshack.us/img470/7449/qh238eo8.jpg

This is my Kart-Hadast campaign, 238 BC. The Ptolemaioi have become a massive superpower. Baktrians forced some of the steppe factions to protectorates and the resulting expansion is... interesting. Seleukids are getting beat bad. In Europe, the Epeirotes have become a green monster. The only reason why Romans have Capua is because my spies & assassins made the city rebel to them. Kh seem stuck where they are, they have some powerful armies but they seem totally incompetent in using them. They don't make any real effort to finish the weakened Makedonians. All the barb factions seem passive.

One thing I've noticed that appears in pretty much all of the screenshots posted so far: The Lusotannan always seem to sit still and not expand. I think they should be made more aggressive, at the very least they should make an attempt to grab most of Iberia from the rebels.

abou
12-10-2006, 21:45
I'm really excited to the see the Epeirote expansion. Great stuff in the campaign.

Bava
12-11-2006, 00:49
https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4696/rometwbi228az1.png

Update of my bactrian campaign, 228 BC.

The Macs invaded Asia minor and are at war with Seleukids, Pontus, Epirote, Rome, KH, Quart Hadasht (dunno how that happened) and the Sauromatae. :inquisitive:

Casse is coming along nicely and sent a full stack to northern France.

Qart Hadasht is finally moving into Iberia and invading italy and sicily from time to time.

Arche Seleukeia is a royal pain in the arse, fighting full stacks of Thorakitai Argyraspidai, Hypaspistai and Kataphraktoi every turn isnt much fun. :help:

I need 3-4 armies to defend my borders and after drowning in money at the beginning i´m pretty broke now.

Geoffrey S
12-11-2006, 01:07
It seems that whoever conquers the Greek peninsula becomes a superpower and heads north; in any case it looks like the baltic and area north of there need some more powerful rebels to prevent excessive hellenic and roman expansion there.

Getai and Lusitanians seem weak in most campaigns.

Nice map you've got there, Bavarian Barbarian!

Dooz
12-11-2006, 01:23
Here's the first 20 years of my Carthage campaign. Overall, not a lot of AI expansion going on, especially by the barbarian factions. I'm glad however to see that the Maks aren't a superpower already and the Greeks and Epirotes are keeping them in check. The surprise here were the Saby'n who are giving the Ptolemies a run for their mnai.

https://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3830/carthage272om6.jpg

https://img243.imageshack.us/img243/928/carthage262af8.jpg

https://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4366/carthage252uo5.jpg

Casuir
12-11-2006, 02:54
First 20 years of a Casse campaign using BI exe
https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7761/267cs4.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9822/262fi6.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5223/257ue2.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
https://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2780/252tv5.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
Lot of naval invasions going on, interestingly rome shipped an army across the Adriatic and attacked epiros in the balkans. they also went for crete the same time as the greeks:
https://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5940/kydoniags3.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
All 3 armies there are enemys. Crete's greek now
Lot of the factions that dont look like they're doing anything are, but some seem to freeze for years at a time. Getai havent moved an inch since the start in this one though.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-11-2006, 03:27
Interesting to see:
-Casse aren't doing as poorly as we all first thought. It's supposed to be difficult. Sometimes they expand, sometimes they die out, sometimes they just sit with their one province. Pretty good to me.
-Baktria has made it to the steppe a few times here, but not too often.
-We've put more troops in Segestica to start the game off, hopefully Roman expansion into central Europe won't always funnel through there so quickly.
-Bi.exe sure does seem to give a lot more interesting naval results. I might start playing that myself.
-Greece being conquered by one faction would result in a superpower, but many of these powers in that area don't control all of it, just part.
-Seeing Rome almost destroyed by the AI once was pretty nice.
-Carthage expansion is doing a lot better now that they aren't having to send armies to Kyrene and Augila all the time. Seaboard expansion in Iberia is great.

Zero1
12-11-2006, 04:13
Here's how things are coming along in my Sweboz campaign

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/Manoftyr/Map500x325.jpg

I'm strong allies with the Arverni and together we've more or less completely spent the Aedui, I'm now moving in to take over Northwestern Gaul.

The Seleucid are a friggen beast, after their catastrophic defeats at the hand of the Ptolemies pushing them out of Asia Minor they moved east and turned their fates completely around.

The Ptolemies for their part are becoming 'the' force in the Eastern Mediterranean and have nearly conquered all of Anatolia after completely seizing the Phoenician coast from the Seleucid's.

Kart-Hadast has totally wiped out the Lustiania after nearly half a century of fighting, and now control almost all of Iberia.

Epieros has been a significant thorn in Rome's side hampering their southern and eastern expansion considerably, and although Rome has taken part of southern Italy, they still have a foothold with some troops and are about to conquer all of Sicily.

Konion Hellan has surprised everyone and came out of nowhere, crushing both Makedonia and Pontos.

The Getai are expansing in a strange way sort of going 'around' the Carpathians but not venturing inside.

The Sabeans have managed to grab Kush from the Ptolemies somehow, and after putting up a fight the Ptolemies more or less let them have it.

The Casse are expanding on the British isles, slowly but surely.

The Parthians did nothing for the entire game and the Sarmatians are expanding a little.

abou
12-11-2006, 04:21
The south of Egypt has Saba as the faction creator so when those areas rebel they go to them. It is why we used to see Parthian territory in the middle of Africa in the .7x builds.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-11-2006, 04:27
Saka taking Sogdiane and Dayuan? Supersweet! Haven't seen that yet. But it's good. Combined with interesting Sarmatian expansion is a good thing. Very nice Getic expansion too. And a totally different type of Ptolemaic expansion.

Dooz
12-11-2006, 04:42
Wow, that really is some nice expansion. What year is that Zero, and what difficulty are you playing on? Also, is it with the BI.exe or RTW?

I think what we're seeing here really is very interesting and varied expansion from the different campaigns people have posted. It's really nice to see. There are of course tweaks that remain to be made, but the potential is great. You almost don't see the same thing twice, except where expected. Good stuff.

Zero1
12-11-2006, 05:32
VH/M, 231bc and using EB.exe

Moros
12-11-2006, 16:54
Okay since the last time I posted the ai somewhat fell a sleep. Almost all expansions halted. The only exeption is Pontus and the Ptolemaioi who got the upperhand again. Thanks to my financing however and possibly because of my conquering too. But it seems like a few of those settlements will rebel tough. Currently there's no real superpower. Rome has halted almost all conquering and is now sieging Patavium which has a...err surprising selection of units. That's all I have to say except that Pontus is verry fun to play, but is easier than I tought. Should have played VH instead of H.

https://img299.imageshack.us/img299/636/hayasdan1cp6.jpg

cdbavg400
12-11-2006, 20:47
Here is my KH campaign, 242 BC (using EB.exe):

https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1549/eb80kh242bcso0.jpg

It's been a very interesting campaign so far, and things are about to get a whole lot more interesting. I started out fairly weak, but after a decade I took out Makedonia. Before I started taking out Epeiros, their kingdom stretched from the Italy to the southwestern coasts of the Black Sea. Of course, you can see I took care of that.

They have been a huge thorn in Rome's side for most of the game, have beseiged Rome and Capua on numerous occassions. However, Rome and Carthage have been the most loyal allies I have ever seen, and Carthage has sent numerous stacks into Italy to help fight back the Epeirotes. However, in the past couple turns, a peace treaty has been signed. Now, Rome has taken Aeudi lands, and are now left with a decision. I wonder if this bodes well for me, since after taking Segestica, I now share a border with Roman lands.

Carthage was quiet for the first couple decades, but now are steadily progressing up the seaboard, and are now at war with the Aeudi and the Lusotannians, who have done little themselves. They are, however, allied with the Arverni, which makes me wonder what will come to pass. Will Rome declare war on the Arverni, triggering a war with their BFF? Or will they turn northeast, toward the Sweboz? Or will they turn against me???

The Sweboz were on a little rampage a few years ago, but a few setbacks have slowed that down. They are at war with the Arverni, but have yet to engage them in battle. The Casse are slowly, gradually building up armies and beseiging settlements.

Pontos, Armenia, Sauromatae, and the Getai have done absolutely nothing.

The Ptolemies are the beast in the east I'm worried about. They have nearly taken all of Anatolia, are currently beseing the Seleukids' last stronghold there (Ipsos), and have laid seige to my city of Halicarnassus numerous times. Luckily, my walls have yet been breached, but each stack they send keeps getting bigger, so my focus may shift there soon. If Rome lets me....

As for the Seleukids, after getting pushed out of the Levant and Anatolia, they are about to wipe out Pahlava. And after the Sabeans got out to a great start, taking most of Arabia, they are losing the war with the Seleukids, and a few of their settlements rebelled.

Bactria has yet to wage war on the Seleukids, but have waged war on the Saka, taking one settlement, and sending armies north. They are also venturing toward India, but a war with the Seleukids cannot be far off.

Lastly, a war between the Ptolemies and Carthage recently incited over Kyrene. Carthage took it first, but the Ptolemies quickly seized it. Now, though Carthage seems to be focusing on Europe, they have the richest treasuries in all the lands, so they may start a two-front war of their own soon.

All in all, looks like I'm in the beginnings of World War 0 here! :2thumbsup: Awesome game, guys!

-Praetor-
12-11-2006, 21:26
Romani.

https://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7482/ebkm4.jpg

***Seleukids are pretty much holding: losing on the levant, and gaining on the arabian peninsula.

***Saba has only 2 provinces, en route to conquer their third.

***Both gallic factions are pretty active, specially the aeduii, which have full stacks on Massillia and Mediolanum. It will be thrilling to conquer gaul.

***Carthage have gained domain over a lot of african provinces, and it won`t be long before I see a mayor clash between Carthage and the Ptolies.

***Lusitanii are progressing VERY well, they have 3 provinces and are sieging a fourth, with great chances to succeed.

***Britons are progressing slowly but steady.

***Koinon Hellenon is giving the Maks a pounding!!! They have a lot of sh** heading for the maks...

***Sweboz are just sitting there :shrug:

***Sarmatae have conquered a caucasian province, but haven`t went farther ahead.

***Saka are looking good, but they haven`t got many units... dunno, perhaps a population problem?

***Parthians have lost their southern province... what`s going on with them that in every game they got their arses kicked??????

***And I strongly suggest that something should be done about the getai, they rarely expand, and I think that my campaign is a very rare exception.

Despite some expansion problems, I love this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oleo
12-11-2006, 21:40
***Parthians have lost their southern province... what`s going on with them that in every game they got their arses kicked??????

Everyone except this one :2thumbsup: , Getai not doing so bad here either.

Macedon campaign 250 BC, I had to drop my casse campaign, cause of a unpassable ctd in the macedonAI-turn, so I figured I start fresh as Macedon.

https://img471.imageshack.us/img471/5199/macedon250bcon2.jpg

p.s. I edited the Sahara region, though I prefer not to, I just really wanted to be sure to have had one game without Carthage-Ptolemy full scale wars. :sweatdrop: :yes:

Ower
12-12-2006, 08:37
Me Epiros camping
https://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1184/eb267zb9.jpg

I am curently in war whit Rome, which are besieging my Capua whit their last strong army full of Sarmatians:dizzy2: I have accepted to becom their Protctorat 2*times but they have atecet me at in the same turn (so it busted me treasury for free:laugh4: )
Probly an war whit th KH because there is nothing between us exept Theremon. They took Korinthos and are besieging Chalkis (is it allright that from Athen tu Chalkis, send armies whit out a boat??:dizzy2: , the same from sicily to itally)

The AS and the Ptolemayos are pounding one another again.
Saba has 2 provinces and heading for their 3.
Pontus took Nicodemia, Saka took one setelment, Bactria advances east(curentli besieging kophen), but has some stacks ready on the border Whit AS wich is in war whit Pahlava, Hayasdan (after tacking Kotais) has a full stack but doing nothing after one smal stack has been beaten at Kabalaka

Sauromate and Casse ain´t doing nothing. As the Getai after grabing the province west from them.

Lusotan marches a full stack to Numantia.
The Arweni are besieging Lemonum and Burdigala, while the Adui are pounding hard on the Arveni (but with no succes).
Carthage advances slowly in africa, has 2 full stacks in iberia rhat are doing nothing:no:.
The Sweboz are trying to take the rebels whit tiny stacks, while their full stack army just sits at their capital.

Casuir
12-12-2006, 09:00
Nother 20 years as Casse.
https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2673/24732bc9.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
Lusotan started off good then froze, same with Hayasdan, think they have a problem.
Getai still havent budged.
Macedon and pontus both wiped out by the greeks, Epirotes heading for the steppes.
Pahlava, Bactria and Saba all seem to be going well.
Saka looked out of it then briefly retook one of the provinces Baktria had taken from them.
Sarmatians look better than they are, two of their provinces were picked up through rebellion, the last of which left them at war with Epiros.
Sweboz started heading east soon as I took both belgian provinces,
Aedui headed north and hit me with a lot of stuff including a good few massilian hoplites, came at me in waves every couple of years, looked real dodgy at times but they look spent now. Averni are moving in to pick up the pieces.
Cartage and Rome still squabbling over islands.
Ptolomies have the seleucids on the ropes, they're getting real scary looking.

Grand Lord of Poop~
12-12-2006, 09:20
if you actually observe closely, the macedonians are losing or wiped out on almost everyone's campaign!! And you guys want to nerf them even more in the upcoming version!?

Ower
12-12-2006, 10:17
I observered it to, I played some test campaings (casse, pahlav, hayasdan) and they were always losing.

Lucasiewicz
12-12-2006, 12:55
Could someone tell me how I can change to hotkey for bringing up the command screen (currently ~ ), because I can't type that character ingame (I have a different keyboard, not querty) so I can't get the fow down to post my campaign-progress so far.

Moros
12-12-2006, 15:40
I don't know if you can change the hotkeys, I think not. What keyboard do you have?

Oleo
12-12-2006, 18:06
Could someone tell me how I can change to hotkey for bringing up the command screen (currently ~ ), because I can't type that character ingame (I have a different keyboard, not querty) so I can't get the fow down to post my campaign-progress so far.

Edit: THIS below doesn't seem to work for savegames. Sry.

You could try the long way, if you can't use the dropdown menu through ~

- Go to C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome1.5 - EB\EB\preferences (or your custom install folder)
- backup preferences.txt
- open up preferences.txt
- change FOG_OF_WAR:TRUE in FOG_OF_WAR:FALSE
- save and exit
- Start up EB, load your game, take a screenshot
- exit EB
- open up preferences.txt and change back FALSE in TRUE or restore the backup of point 2.

Dayve
12-12-2006, 18:09
https://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6613/250bcir4.gif (https://imageshack.us)

250BC - Me is Romani.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-12-2006, 19:36
Nother 20 years as Casse.
https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2673/24732bc9.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Haha! Pontos got sucker punched. They tried to take Sinope, failed to hold it, then those KH troops that they created took Amaseia and destroyed Pontos as a faction. First time I've seen that happen.

Love to see these really longer term campaigns. We see a ton of 262 and 252 ones, but the longer folks play, the more interested we are in seeing what happens.

Were you playing on bi.exe Casuir? Seeing the romans put ashore at Thermon makes me think so.

Moros
12-12-2006, 20:36
Try the key under your esc button.

Septimus
12-12-2006, 22:13
My Romani campaign - year 255. No substantial movement, though I'm now in year 252 and will make a post at 250 B.C. because there has been quite a bit of movement over the past three years and it seems like a lot more is going to happen soon. Well, at least in my part of the world.

https://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6696/rom255rq9.jpg

Dooz
12-13-2006, 04:07
Here's an update on my Carthy campaign.

https://img167.imageshack.us/img167/3830/carthage272om6.jpg

https://img243.imageshack.us/img243/928/carthage262af8.jpg

https://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4366/carthage252uo5.jpg

https://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9489/carthage242yy3.jpg

The coolest story here is the defense of Demetrias by the Maks. Wow is it epic. It's been under siege for over a decade, constantly, by both the Greek Cities and the Epirotes who are allies in the war. And against all odds, it held everytime. Countless battles, countless lives lost on both sides. Their faction leader was in there for the majority of the fighting, however he did try to flee a couple of times up north. He was always intercepted by Epirote armies and came back. At one point, the Maks brought in some reinforcement from Mytilene via ships; a general and a couple of units. Now the two fought together for a few years and defended well. Then before I know it, the faction leader makes another run for it and this time escapes. He went up north and back around to get to their other remaining city. The other general was left alone, but he proved to be able to defend well himself. The story has a sad ending for the Maks though. Shortly after this screenshot was taken in the Spring of 242, the city fell to a large Epirote army. A valiant effort by all concerned, fighting off the relentless attackers, year after year, battle after battle. It was awesome.

You know, for an unfinished faction, Saba kicks some major Arsé. Also, I'm pleased to report that there have been no sand wars in this campaign and my alliance with the Ptolemies has held strong for over 30 years now. Of course, the 500 mnai/turn tribute I offer them regularly for 5 year periods at a time doesn't hurt either. In fact, the only time alliances were broken were by me, when I cancelled them to take out the Lusotanan and kick out the Epirotes from Italy. That, by the way, was an epic battle as they had built up over two full stack armies around Taras. My faction leader Hamalcar with his main army, reinforced by his son Hamalcar (should be fixed to be Hamilcar) with his mercenary army took on the Epirote warriors. Great stuff. Here's a screen of the stats just to get an idea.

https://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1238/battleoftarasnb9.th.jpg (https://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=battleoftarasnb9.jpg)
Battle of Taras

Cheexsta
12-13-2006, 04:09
Interesting that with the reduced Sand Wars (as far as I've seen), the Ptolemies are always doing really well against the Seleucids. In my Roman campaign, the Sels are almost completely wiped out; the Ptolemies took all of their Western lands while Baktria picked off the lands that revolt in the East. Will post a pic soon.

Casuir
12-13-2006, 05:01
Were you playing on bi.exe Casuir? Seeing the romans put ashore at Thermon makes me think so.

Yep, lot of fighting for the islands going on. I'll try and keep updating, but the turns are getting longer and spare time is getting shorter

paullus
12-13-2006, 15:28
Interesting that with the reduced Sand Wars (as far as I've seen), the Ptolemies are always doing really well against the Seleucids. In my Roman campaign, the Sels are almost completely wiped out; the Ptolemies took all of their Western lands while Baktria picked off the lands that revolt in the East. Will post a pic soon.

but what's really cool is the Seleukid counter-attack, which we can see in Wonderland's. I'm really happy to see that, its like the Syrian Wars.

Lucasiewicz
12-13-2006, 18:56
Try the key under your esc button.
That did the magical trick. What wonders a fellow Belgian can do, because I'm using the all Belgian azerty-keyboard, but as it seems, that doesn't even matter as the game treats my keybaord as a regular querty-board. Only I didn't know where the ~ was on such a keyboard. Anyways...

https://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6341/minimapts6.png (https://imageshack.us)

This image is taken the fall of 244 BC. and shows some nice devellopments. Worth saying is that I'm playing the Parthians, so you might now want to look to much at the Bactrians, because I'm being their pain in the arse, but, on the other hand, I'm whiping them out because they were becoming to strong! Really, Bactria showed some nice expansion early on in the game.

The biggest noticeable thing, is the Seleucid expansion (or is that because I, as their enemy focus to much on them? :yes: ). They're defenitely whiping the Ptolemies their butts, only look at their expansion in Asia Minor and Syria :egypt: . They also gained a footstep in the Indus-delta and the Arabian desert, which they didn't have at the beginning.

Other nice thing worth noticing, is the Sweboz expansion. They've conquered a fair amount of provinces, almost all of them in the western direction.

Other expanding factions are the Romani and Khart-Hadasht, but we've come to expect nothing less of them. The Romani kicked Epeiros out of Italicum and are now trying to secure their northern Italian border, but is facing a strong Aedui their, who are giving the Arverni a very hard time. Further more the Khart-Hadasht (but that also what we expect of them) are also giving the Romani a hard time, as well on Sicily as in the mainland of Italy.

https://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9749/romekhartmz0.png (https://imageshack.us)

What next? It looks like Macedonia found a way to pull itself together and survive the first decades and has been expanding slowly in last ones, with a nice firm hold of one side of the Bosporus. Epeiros recently started a new expansion northwarhts, since they've been expelled from Italy and allready gained some territory. The Sarmatians also gained some provinces, which is something I find very pleasing. It beats my expectations.

Pontus, Casse, Lusotana, Sabateans, Daha Rauka and the Getai are seemingly at more or less status-quo positions. Lusotana seemed to have a expansion problem EB is allready aware of, some goes for some extend to the Daha Rauka. I don't know what about Pontus and the Getai. As for the Sabateans, they're facing a very powerfull Seleucid nation in their borderland in my game, but the gave what it seems still enough rebel-provinces left, though I don't know lots about the rebel strengt in that region.

The only faction I left out till now, are the Armenians, but only because I'm ignorant of their starting positions. Have they expanded yet?

Some review:

https://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6062/turnszk7.png (https://imageshack.us)

Moros
12-13-2006, 19:49
That did the magical trick. What wonders a fellow Belgian can do, because I'm using the all Belgian azerty-keyboard, but as it seems, that doesn't even matter as the game treats my keybaord as a regular querty-board. Only I didn't know where the ~ was on such a keyboard. Anyways...

That's why I asked. I tought it might have been an azerty. I have one to, it took me ages to find the bloody key. Btw: nce shots.

Kugutsu
12-13-2006, 20:20
Your armenians look to have taken one city: Kotais.
Your Seleukids look scary. By the looks of it you are probably the only regional power capable of stopping them!

Lucasiewicz
12-13-2006, 22:13
Your armenians look to have taken one city: Kotais.
Your Seleukids look scary. By the looks of it you are probably the only regional power capable of stopping them!
Well, let's repeat history! :whip:
If only there phalanxes didn't pose such great danger for my Pahla shivatir. There armor is still too impenetrable at the moment. It takes to much horse-archers to bring them down. I'm still waiting for better units to come available first. Have gotten much time to devellop my cities fully yet, with the war against Bactria, but by taking their former homeland provinces, money from their mines is strolling into my pockets :laugh4:

Puupertti Ruma
12-13-2006, 22:26
http://xs410.xs.to/xs410/06503/250.jpg (http://xs.to)
Here is year 250 BC of my Lusotannan campaign.

Been struggling for years with Celtiberia. Two spawned rebel generals have decimated almost 3 stacks of mine in piece meal.

Notes:
Carthago has lost it's provinces in Iberia to rebels! Wild!
Seleucids are big in arabia.
Getai and Casse haven't expanded at all.
Makedonia is down to Lesbos.
Arverni has been protectorate of Rome for a long time.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-13-2006, 22:51
http://xs410.xs.to/xs410/06503/250.jpg (http://xs.to)
Here is year 250 BC of my Lusotannan campaign.

Been struggling for years with Celtiberia. Two spawned rebel generals have decimated almost 3 stacks of mine in piece meal.

Notes:
Carthago has lost it's provinces in Iberia to rebels! Wild!
Seleucids are big in arabia.
Getai and Casse haven't expanded at all.
Makedonia is down to Lesbos.
Arverni has been protectorate of Rome for a long time.
Wow indeed! Carthage being kicked out of Iberia by the rebels is great. Romans being bottlenecked in north Italy by Aedui and Epeiros is wonderful too. Pontos taking Byz and Tylis too is pretty cool. Don't be fooled by Arabia - seleukids have Gerrhaia and Dumatha, but they are crappy - two of the worst provinces in the game. The seleucids lost Syria and Babylon among others, so they will be hurting badly.

Puupertti Ruma
12-14-2006, 00:27
Actually, about three years earlier, Romans had Mediolanium, but apparently they lost it, probably due to revolt, right?

blank
12-14-2006, 00:33
Hey how come you still have the ''vanilla-style'' cities in your screenshots? Mine are quite different (the new models they added) ~:confused:

Lucasiewicz
12-14-2006, 09:02
Hey how come you still have the ''vanilla-style'' cities in your screenshots? Mine are quite different (the new models they added) ~:confused:
Are you referring to my screenshot I posted? If you are, then I have no idea why that is. A bug? :inquisitive:

Justiciar
12-14-2006, 10:16
I don't think it is. I certainly haven't seen any new City/Town icons.

Moros
12-14-2006, 12:58
New settlements? Dude, you must have an EB version from the future then!

blank
12-14-2006, 15:52
Here's what they look like:

https://img242.imageshack.us/img242/783/0001ou1.png

Lucasiewicz
12-14-2006, 15:54
I don't think it is. I certainly haven't seen any new City/Town icons.
Maybe he has the culture-different models mistaken for vanilla or new models?

Justiciar
12-14-2006, 15:54
Odd. The GUI is all wrong too.. :inquisitive:

Teleklos Archelaou
12-14-2006, 17:19
Yeah, that's quite weird. I wonder if the rest of the game is "EB"? But it's not using the interface files at all. Strange stuff you've got going on there blank.

-Praetor-
12-14-2006, 18:44
That`s 0,74 with some prom`s additions and the resource addon.

Notice the vainilla seleukid icon on the faction icon? There`s no way that could occur on 0.8.

Cheers!!!!

Teleklos Archelaou
12-14-2006, 19:07
But he has those stone walls for Prom's cities - we can't get those to work now. I'd love to know why they work there but not in ours.

Lucasiewicz
12-14-2006, 19:14
is his resource-position .74 or .8? I believe they've changed positions, not?

PS: those models are quite nice, I've never seen them before. Hope EB can get them to work for .8x

GiantMonkeyMan
12-14-2006, 19:44
this is from my current game in 255bc. I'm sarmatia.

https://img319.imageshack.us/img319/7606/progresscq5.png

blank
12-14-2006, 19:51
I play unmodded 0.8 :cheerleader:

Casuir
12-14-2006, 20:47
But he has those stone walls for Prom's cities - we can't get those to work now. I'd love to know why they work there but not in ours.

They worked for me when I copied them from the eb folder to the root one.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-14-2006, 20:59
Hmm. I just did that though Casuir, and I don't get them - I get wood textures on the stone walls instead. Well, Sarcasm is trying to figure this out now for us. Let's hope he can handle it.

Zaknafien
12-14-2006, 22:10
Thats wierd TA mine work when I just move them into the vanilla data folder like those above did..

Casuir
12-15-2006, 12:40
Are you sure you're looking at the right walls, theres 5 seperate models two of which are wooden ones which look like stone:
https://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6793/citiesct4.th.jpg (https://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=citiesct4.jpg)

Other than that the only thing i can think of is to make sure you've copied over the textures folder along with the models, they reference a different named textuue than anything else though so I cant see any conflict there unless they're using a default texture.

If you are going to use them theres some discrepancies that occur when you just copy them, greek cities use the new cities and wooden models but the stock stone walls, and barbarian factions will get them if they capture a city with stone walls then upgrade it to a large city. Not sure what you'd do about that without new barb cities but it looks kinda funny. I'd recommend downsizing the textures they use as well, 1024*1024 is totally unneccessary for a model that size, all you're going to see is the lowest 2 mipmaps at most and the rest is just a waste of memory.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-15-2006, 17:46
Ok. Thanks guys. I think I see the problem with what I was doing. Sarcasm may have these ready for the next patch. We really would love to get someone to help with the barb and eastern cities though. Any takers? Modellers?

-Praetor-
12-15-2006, 18:22
I was just hoping that they look something like this: (The barb. ones)

https://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2610/19pz4.jpghttps://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6781/19ek2.jpg

Hope you have time though, I realize that you`ve got more prioritary things to do.

Cheers!!!

PS: Any way to contact Prometheus? Off course, he should have the models for the Greek settlements (yes, he did some for the greeks too) and the Barb ones... the only ones that he didn`t made, IIRC, were the eastern ones....

The nomadic ones are an entirely different story. :rolleyes:

Teleklos Archelaou
12-15-2006, 18:58
We would love them too, but Prom hadn't released a version of RG with those barb cities yet when we asked him, so we never got access to them. I don't think one yet has been released with them.

Bava
12-15-2006, 19:02
sorry to interrupt your conversation, guys :laugh4:

Makedonia campaign, 239 BCE, H/H, BI-exe with Oleo´s africa wars edit (it works!).

https://img150.imageshack.us/img150/297/rometwbimak240ve4.png

It seems that the expansion of smaller factions like the Sauromatae is seriously hampered by rebels like this. 3 1/2 stacks for one settlement is too much for them :inquisitive:
The towns left in arabia look the same, btw.

https://img336.imageshack.us/img336/1328/rometwbiolbaiwb6.png

Cheexsta
12-15-2006, 23:34
Here's my current Romani campaign, I've actually advanced past this point by quite a bit so I'll get an updated pic soon. It is using the BI.exe, playing on M/M.

250BC:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/cheex/Random/250BC.jpg

230BC:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/cheex/Random/230BC.jpg

The Punic Wars were long and drawn-out. The 1st Punic War started when Roman armies took control of Massilia; the Carthaginians took this as an act of aggression and launched an attack on Campania, but were quickly repelled. Lilybeo was taken without too much of a headache, but the subsequent Roman assault on Sardinia and Corsica was significantly harder as Carthaginian reinforcements kept the invaders at bay. Eventually a ceasefire arrangement was made with Rome being given legal control of the islands.

The 2nd Punic War started with surprisingly historical triggers. Rome became allies with an Iberian tribe, the Edetani (ie I took over Arse and gave it a type 4 govt). Not a year later and the two empires were at war again; Carthage landed a full stack on each of Sardinia and Corsica, while the Roman Legion in Iberia, led by none other than Caius Aurelius Cotta Africanus from the 1st Punic War, faced off with another Carthaginian army there (neither side attacked as they each had strong defensive positions). Both islands were conquered by Carthage, leading to bloody conflict with Rome attempting to recapture them. Peace was finally reached when Africanus defeated two large Punic armies in Iberia and captured Mastia and Gader, before sailing back to take the islands that had been lost.

Polybian Reforms went without a problem just as my 2nd Punic War ended and the Iberian Wars started. The Ptolemies are expanding quite well, but the remaining Seleukid towns are too well-fortified so they should survive for a while longer. Baktria has started snapping up rebel provinces, especially since most of those "immobile" Eleutheroi generals have died from old age.

Elsewhere, a new Gallic confederacy seems to have arisen in the Bituriges; three full Eleutheroi stacks from neighbouring regions have gathered and seem to be threatening Aedui and Averni expansion (although they haven't really been trying anyway...).

Speaking of rebels, it would make a good addition to the mod to have the script drop an Eleutheroi family member into any rebel cities that have none. This would help stop the AI's explosion of conquest at around the 230BC mark when all those starting generals die and allow their armies to go wandering.

More to come...

Justiciar
12-16-2006, 01:29
Wow. The Ptolemaioi are really wiping the floor with Arche Seleukeia there. :egypt:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-16-2006, 07:34
Speaking of rebels, it would make a good addition to the mod to have the script drop an Eleutheroi family member into any rebel cities that have none. This would help stop the AI's explosion of conquest at around the 230BC mark when all those starting generals die and allow their armies to go wandering.

I have been thinking the same thing. Is it possible to script in new leaders to cities that lose theirs? (Or at some date kill all those that are still alive and dump in new one in every town, so as to insure there is at least one space in every town.)

hafensaengerx
12-16-2006, 12:15
I'm playing with 1.5 exe and thinking about playing with bi.exe.

Is bi much better? And what about bribing? Does AI still bribe so much with bi exe? Think I ve heard something about it?

Radier
12-16-2006, 13:14
Playing as Casse on M/M the Romans was wiped out in about 20 years. Is there any chance for them to reappear? :inquisitive:

Bava
12-16-2006, 15:13
I'm playing with 1.5 exe and thinking about playing with bi.exe.Is bi much better?

jugde yourself:

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5342/rometwbinavalinvasionxr6.png

I nearly fell of my chair when i saw that. :help:

Fear teh Might of the BI-exe!

Gazius
12-16-2006, 16:36
I'm playing with 1.5 exe and thinking about playing with bi.exe.

Is bi much better? And what about bribing? Does AI still bribe so much with bi exe? Think I ve heard something about it?

The AI tries to bribe me, but I've never seen any success come from it. Also, the naval invasions in BI work so well, I want to know if:

Can I remove land bridges from the middle of a game? At this point I don't think it's fair for the AI to waltz over any place they like. They have boats. They can invade, they don't need no stinkin' land bridges.

Oleo
12-16-2006, 17:07
Macedon campaign 250 BC
https://img471.imageshack.us/img471/5199/macedon250bcon2.jpg

230 BC:

https://img344.imageshack.us/img344/2973/macedon230bcap1.jpg

210 BC:

https://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2039/macedon210bcuc6.jpg

- Sweboz started expanding big time, after I gave him a couple of 100000 Mnai and bribed them a 3rd and 4th city

- Casse started expanding after giving them 100000.

- Sauromatae still havent done anything with the 300000 I gave them.

I had way to much money, I figured I give something away :idea2: .

- Seleucids are getting owned and are protectorate of Saba, I didnt touch them except for Sardis and Ipsus when they betrayed me.

- I gave Ptolemais-Theron (Erithrea) and Bostra to Saba, cause I didnt want it to be ptolemy and I didnt want them for myself.

-Saka was about to be destroyed 5 years earlier, I guess baktria screwed up and lost two cities back to them

Teleklos Archelaou
12-16-2006, 18:29
Radier - please post pics of your minimap (fog of war off so we can see)! Romans are very rarely (very) defeated like that - but we'd love to see proof of it.

--------------------
Oleo - a very interesting set of pics.
-I love that getai empire
-the Carthaginians taking over all of iberia is good to see sometimes
-I also love that Baktrian empire and the way the parthians have expanded into their own empire in the right place (if they could continue to knock out the seleukids and even some soutwest baktrians that'd be great)

Constantine the Great
12-16-2006, 18:30
Wow, thats the first I've seen of Getai actually doing stuff.

Moros
12-16-2006, 19:40
Radier - please post pics of your minimap (fog of war off so we can see)! Romans are very rarely (very) defeated like that - but we'd love to see proof of it.

--------------------
-I love that getai empire
-the Carthaginians taking over all of iberia is good to see sometimes
-I also love that Baktrian empire and the way the parthians have expanded into their own empire in the right place (if they could continue to knock out the seleukids and even some soutwest baktrians that'd be great)
He defeated them, not an AI faction.

Kugutsu
12-16-2006, 19:44
Playing Hayasdan, at about 245BC.
https://img72.imageshack.us/img72/454/245bcmt8.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Casse: Not really doing much. Have a stack, but its just sitting there.

Sweboz: Again, not much action here.

Aedui: Fighting hard against the Romans. Also have Dalminion in the Balkans and Ankyra, but Epeiros is seiging the former and the Seleukids are about to take the latter.

Arverni: The Romans have all but crushed them. One city left, and a single stack of army. I doubt they'll last much longer.

Lusotann: No action here that I can see, not even an army. They seem to be sitting in their city with 4 units, 2 of them generals...

Rome: Heavy expansion into gaul. They have about 10 armies rampaging round france, and are really pushing the gauls hard. They are currently allied to the Carthaginians, though it wont be long before they meet in Spain...

Carthage: Working their way up through Spain. I think they are also trying to take Kyrene, but with no success so far.

Epeiros:Together with KH they have pushed the Macedonians to Lesbos. They are wading through the Balkans city by city.

KH: Helped the Epeirots push the Macs out of Greece, but seem to have stalled now.

Getai: Not doing anything.

Ptolomaics: Part of the three way anti-Seleukid alliance. Turkey and the middle-east change hands about twice a decade...

Saba: Also part of the anti-Seleukid alliance. Strong presence in Palmyra, gaurding the Ptolies flank, allowing them to concentrate on Antioch and Turkey.

Pontus: Have stayed pretty neutral in the regional troubles, snapping up the coastal cities of Sinope and Nikaia. Will probably try Pergamon next if they remain true to form.

Sauromatai: Have gained a couple of provinces in the north, but seem to be so debt ridden that they cant afford any troops or buildings. I relieved them of Kabalaka through bribery (they are my allies, after all, so I didnt want to attack them) and they had built very little there.
Parthia. Battling with Bactria. Coming off worse...

Saka: Not doing a great deal.

Bactria: Quite a powerhouse in the east. Still allied to Seleukia, not sure how, as they have about 5 full stacks sitting near Seleukid cities... A full stack marching through India, and about 5 in the north, either heading for Sulek, or attacking Parthia.

Seleukids: Insanely powerful and rich. They are sending armies of Argyraspidai and Kataphracts against me, and are holding against the combined armies of the Ptolies and the Saba to the south. They lost most of the near east to the Ptolies, but have since won it back and are counterattacking in Turkey. They also have 3 full stacks wandering round Arabia, which may come as a nasty shock to the Saba...

Hayasdan: I am expanding nicely in the Caucasian mountains. Am allied to Sauromatae, as I have no interest in going north, and the Ptolies and Saba as part of a three way alliance to counter the Seleukids. Im about to launch an invasion of the plain once I have gathered my armies for a counter-offensive...

One thing I am pleasantly surprised by is the stability of alliances. Rome and Carthage have been alied for a while, and are carving western europe between them, Epeiros and KH allied to oust the Macedonians in Greece and our little triple-entente has helped each other out of tight spots on quite a few occasions. The Ptolies and the Saba are particularly close, rescuing each other quite frequently from the Seleukids, and not squabbling over the middle east as I would have expected.

Conqueror
12-16-2006, 19:50
https://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6033/qh229pb0.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Kart-Hadast campaign @ 229 BC.

Eastern Mediterranean:

The Makedonians were on the brink of destruction when I decided to intervene in the war in Greece (partly because I wanted to snatch Rhodos for myself but didn't want to lose trade with southern Greece, so KH hegemony there was against my interests). I built an elite invasion army and, using Krete as a base, launched a naval invasion which took the city states completely by surprise. In a quick succession I seized poorly defended Korinthos and Sparte, and handed their governance over to the Makedonians. Then I destroyed two KH armies near Athenai before withdrawing back to Krete. The KH were unable to recover from this shock and the Makedonians went on the offensive, while I sailed over to my real target, Rhodos. Soon the only free polis worth note was Athenai, which became protectorate to Makedonia. Now both Athenai and Makedonia are my allies and trade is flowing nicely, though occationally interrupted by Ptolemaic fleets that blockade my ports. The Maks have even strenghtened to a point where they are doing progress agains the Epirote empire - they just recently took Pella back, having lost it very early in the game.

Speaking of Ptolemaioi, they are clearly the most powerful faction in the game. The Seleukids are almost completely finished off and I doubt that any other AI faction will be able to resist the onslaught of the Ptolemaic juggernaut. They declared war on me soon after capturing Kyrene and I am spending my time building up for a massive attack. It'll be a real clash of titans when I'll take the fight to Egypt, although I have no idea how I could possibly hold on to those huge cities on the Nile. I fear it'll turn into a sick extermination fest like none the world has seen :sweatdrop:

Western Mediterranean:

The Lusotannan are no more. During the entire game they had done absolutely nothing, save for futile attacks on Sucum-Murgi with far too small armies while most of their troops sat on their behinds in Oxtraca. I foolishly though that I could conquer them, boy was i wrong. I did destroyed them as a faction, but it turned out that Oxtraca was completely uncontrollable despite being exterminated *twice*. In the end, the underdeveloped town just wasn't worth the effort to keep it so I abandoned it to the hapless rebels. I took over Sucum-Murgi myself (which actually submitted like an obedient puppy despite being much larger in population than Oxtraca...) but it's questionable how long I can hold on to it. There are some BIG scary rebel stacks wandering in Carpetania.

The romani have been kicked out of Italy. It was bound to happen as soon as I lost interest in actively thwarting the Epirotes with spies and assassins. They have remained my faithful ally since the beginning of the game, no punic wars in this one. It'll be interesting to see how much longer they manage to hold on.

Elsewhere

Sabyn are doing surprisingly well, while Baktrians have a crazy empire stretching (and bending) from the Persian coast to the western steppes. They appear to have no interest in going to India, or it could simply be that the rebels are too strong in there. Getain seem to have done a bit of expanding and Sweboz look to be doing nicely, if not quite spectacularly. The celtic factions and Armenia & Pontos aren't much to speak of. Pahlava is now providing a buffer zone between the Ptolemies and Baktrians.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-16-2006, 20:16
He defeated them, not an AI faction.
Did he? As the Casse in 20 years I would think that a challenge. He didn't say that he did it that I saw - just that the Romans "were" destroyed. Was there a map somewhere?

Either way, the answer is 'no'. They can't reappear if they've been wiped out.

Casuir
12-16-2006, 21:48
https://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6392/2272mn0.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
Just 10 years from the last, turns are getting longer and time to play shorter. Audei driven out of Gaul, Lusotan took their hands out of their pockets and drove carthage almost out of iberia. Ptolomy looking very scary, Selecuids wiped out about two years after this.

paullus
12-16-2006, 22:00
some of these campaigns look truly awesome. the baktrians generally seem to be doing pretty well by the late 3rd c.

internal rebellions might make the ptolemies less effective expanding into syria...

Zero1
12-17-2006, 02:13
Wow!~:eek:

Look at the size of that Bactrian expansion, if they move down south east into Persia they could very well become even more powerful then the Ptolemies

Barnabas
12-17-2006, 04:59
As Pontos, 253bc running under BI.exe on VH (campaign) and M (battles)

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9334/243bcrz5.jpg

Makedon I'm currently allied with the Makedons, who would be doing even better if it wasn't for me checking their Eastward expansion by bribery and forcing revolts, and by "encouraging" them to war with the Seleucids when they were strong. The Makedons seem to be trying to expand north, as they are allied with the Epirotes and haven't been able to break the backs of the KH.

Seleucia has lost nearly all of her holdings in Asia Minor thanks to attacks from Makedon, the Ptolemies, and myself. I've incited a few revolts to form a neutral zone between the Seleucids and myself, and the rebels have held on to their cities nicely so far. Selucia is currently launching a major counter-offensive in the Middle-East, and perhaps will capture several coastal cities south of Antioch (which for the moment is safe).

Makedon, the Ptolemies, Baktria, Pontus (myself), and the Hadastin are all allied against this once great nation. Seleucia has been tough to break. I think she would've gained territories over all if it were not for my concerted efforts in Asia Minor, and some heroics of the Ptolemies (good allies so far).

Romani Slow and steady northward expansion at the loss of the Audei, who are about to lose their southern holdings. It took the Romani until very recently to take Southern Italy from the Epirotes.

Epirotes This kingdom is doing quite well against the rebels to the north. The Illyrian rebels were no match for them, and they soon will have two provinces bordering the Romani.

KH They are doing well just to not have been eliminated. They actually expanded to a city in Asia Minor across the sea in the first 5 years, but Makedon took that posession away from them.

Lusotana, the Getai, Casse, Saromatai, Sweboz, and Hadastin are all surrounded by strong Rebel cities with at least a full stack in each. None have done anything all game. They might as well be rebel cities themselves...

Saba This kingdom looks stronger than they really are. They are at peace with their two neighbors. If that changes, expect them to get wiped out.

Baktria
Yet again, this faction is doing very, very well. They are about to take two more provinces from the rebels, and are causing the Seleucids to have headaches at their northern border. Poor Seleucids.

Imperator
12-17-2006, 05:33
it seems like the Baktrians are a little too powerful, which causes them to smoke the Selukids, weakening them so that the Ptolomies become uber, and the East becomes a Baktrian-Ptolomy playground-maybe nerf Baktria so Selukia can hold their own against the two of them?:idea2:

Also, those giant rebels are sorta cramping the smaller factions, maybe the Eleutheroi's cash should be lowered a bit so these factions have a real chance?

But otherwise the balance in the West Med. seems sound (Lussotonan aren't exactly empire-forging, but they really shouldn't be either) and the Romani and Quarthadastim often seem to wind up being the major powerhouses, with the Gauls and Spaniards cought in the middle- so all in all seems like a good balance! :yes:

Teleklos Archelaou
12-17-2006, 05:40
Some seleukid garrisons are better in the east in the next patch. But we would love for the parthian provinces to rebel sometimes. We've tried all we can to get Bakria to go towards India, but India does need good garrisons too. It's all so difficult to get perfectly right with some units still up in the air and unfinished.

Thaatu
12-17-2006, 11:23
About the Ptolemy vs. Seleukid power struggle, historically didn't the Ptolemaic holdings in Asia minor rebel at some point, after which they were taken by Seleukids? In game Seleukids never seem to take hold of southern Asia minor, so if those settlements would be more difficult to hold for Ptolemaics maybe that would balance the power a little bit. Ptolemaics seem to beat Seleukids even without help from other factions, and one might argue that Seleukid Empire was stronger, but it just had too many borders to hold. So maybe Ptolemaios needs to be nerfed. :egypt: :whip:

By the way, I'm playing as Baktria and in about 265 BC Seleukids declared war on me, but there were no special messages or anything. Do they only trigger when Baktria attacks Seleukids, or are they not enabled in 0.8?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-17-2006, 12:20
...maybe nerf Baktria...

Second.
https://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3481/scruffy2ze1.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Teleklos Archelaou
12-17-2006, 18:17
Those special messages were for the old roman civil war event. With the senate gone and turned into saba, it doesn't occur anymore unfortunately. I had done those images and text work, so I'm a little sad about it, but I don't think much can be done about it.

Moros
12-17-2006, 18:47
Did he? As the Casse in 20 years I would think that a challenge. He didn't say that he did it that I saw - just that the Romans "were" destroyed. Was there a map somewhere?

Oh yes you're right. I mixed two posts up.

BozosLiveHere
12-17-2006, 19:19
Those special messages were for the old roman civil war event. With the senate gone and turned into saba, it doesn't occur anymore unfortunately. I had done those images and text work, so I'm a little sad about it, but I don't think much can be done about it.

I did the best I could to adapt event_strings (I believe that was the file) to the new culture groups so that we could still get that event. If those messages aren't showing up at all, even when the baktrian player breaks the alliance, we could try and find an alternative in the scripts.

Bava
12-17-2006, 19:39
Update of my makedonian compaign, 226 BCE, H/H with BI-exe and Oleo´s africa wars edit.

https://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4168/rometwbi226bx1.png

Well, Baktria is...just huge. They have by far the largest army and wipped the floor with poor Seleukids. The Saka, Sauromatae and Hayasdan are their protectorates and the baktria-ptolemy war has begun 3 turns ago.

Any bets who´ll win? ~D

Sabae is one of the 5 most powerful factions (i´m third :wall:) and at war with ptolemy atm.

The Getae are my trustful allies since turn 2 (yes, AI diplomacy works from time to time), but havent done anything meaningful yet.

Quart Hadasht keeps sending stack after stack to sicily and is a real pain in the ass as it even invades italy sometimes.

Carthaginem esse delendam!!!!!

A very interresting campaign so far!

Oleo
12-17-2006, 20:16
10 years later (200 BC):

https://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6900/macedon200ei4.jpg

Baktria is just to strong I guess.

Thaatu
12-17-2006, 20:25
Observations:

1. Baktria is crazy.
2. Ptolemaioi is a little nuts too.
3. Romans first invade Gaul and maybe after that Sicily. Also they are very reluctant to attack Epirotes in southern Italy. Goes a little backwards...

4. In 1.5 AI changes capitals if their empire gets too big. Can this be disabled? It for one screws up Seleukid Empire's unrest in the eastern provinces, when they switch their capital to Susa. It would be embarassing if Romans or Carthage changed their capitals...

Edit: Too bad about the special messages. Can they be done with traits or the advisor?

Casuir
12-17-2006, 20:28
They do (rome and carthage)

Barnabas
12-18-2006, 00:16
As Pontos, 253bc running under BI.exe on VH (campaign) and M (battles)

https://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9334/243bcrz5.jpg

An update at 245bc, 8 years later (I'll keep it at a nice 10 years of progression per time after this. Sorry for starting at an odd 253 :oops: )

https://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4792/247bcxm9.jpg

The WEST I thought Seleucia was down and out, but they have come roaring back. They've taken another couple provinces from the Ptolemies, who are fighting hard with the Qarthadasim (at least coastal-only battles at this point). Saba lost a province to Seleucia, then sued for peace. Baktria is having problems with rebels, and Saro, Saka, the Getai, and Hadast, as well as the new Armenian faction (sorry, their name escapes me at the moment) are all stagnant and have been from the very start. Rebel provinces would've been more active, which is too bad.

The EAST Makedon was in control, but that was 8 years ago. I purchased lesbos and Nicea for around 150,000 gold each, which really hurt Makedon. Epeiros turned their focus, along with KH's help, against Makedon. I spread the plague in three Makedon provinces, in two provinces of the Epirotes, and in a rebel province near the Getai (hoping to make that faction start doing something!). The Epirotes are rolling right along with their KH brothers. Only Thermon, the "C" isle by Athens, and a small village by the Getai are still in Makedon's hands. All but the small village are sparsely defended. Makedon will be gone in 10 years at the longest.

For some reason the Qarthadastim have 3 full stacks in southern Iberia, but they have yet to move out of that point. Roman legions are fighting against Qarthadastim warriors on Corsica and Sardina (sorry for forgetting the older names). Qarthadastim has even launched a few forrays on Romanii soil, though they have not made any gains.

The Averni and Aeudi have made gains, and now are at war with the Romanii (as well as each other). A divided Gaul most likely means the Romans will take home the cake, but that remains to be seen.

Sweboz, Casse, and Lusotania might as well be rebel cities, as they haven't done anything all game. Casse was very nearly eliminated by a stack of Eleutheroi a few years ago, and is in critical condition at the moment.

Cheexsta
12-18-2006, 10:01
4. In 1.5 AI changes capitals if their empire gets too big. Can this be disabled? It for one screws up Seleukid Empire's unrest in the eastern provinces, when they switch their capital to Susa. It would be embarassing if Romans or Carthage changed their capitals...
I noticed this, too, but I thought I was just imagining things ~D In my game, Carthage moved its capital to Mastia (before I captured it), while the Ptolemies moved their capital to Hierosolyma and the Koinon Hellenon moved theirs to Chalkis. I think it's rather interesting, actually...

Edit: Too bad about the special messages. Can they be done with traits or the advisor?
Perhaps it can be scripted using the test_message command? Just a simple monitor for a war between Baktria and the Seleucids, and maybe a counter thrown in there so the message is only displayed once...

Just an idea.

Edit: a quick update on my Romani campaign, 220BC. I'm finding it hard to get the time to play between work and modding, but I'm getting there ~D

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/cheex/Random/220BC.jpg

The Iberian Wars, contrary to history, were short and sweet; in just two battles, the Lusitani armies were crippled and their hegemony fell apart. The remains of their small 'empire' is weak and no longer a threat to the people of Rome.

Elsewhere, Epeiros conquered Makedonia, which spurred the Roman Senate to send two Legions and a diplomat to convince the King of Epirus to lay down arms and surrender Pella. Of course, the king refused and Rome declared war. Two more Legions were raised and sent to the Hellenic mainland and conquered the rest of Epirus itself. The king fled to the north, but the Roman armies were unable to pursue because of the Koinon Hellenon breaking its alliance with Rome and attacking its newly-conquered lands - clearly they were not impressed with my defence of Makedonia, with whom the Greeks were at war for quite a while. Four more Legions are being raised in Italy to deal with this new threat.

In Africa, the Carthaginians have been supplying the Epirotes with grain to support its armies - that's a clear enough casus belli, don't you think? ~D The 3rd Punic War may well be under way soon...

Lucasiewicz
12-18-2006, 18:01
Maybe it's out of date for this mod, but may I recall that the Romans did historically move their capital.

Thaatu
12-18-2006, 19:20
Maybe it's out of date for this mod, but may I recall that the Romans did historically move their capital.

Well Rome split up to western and eastern empires in about 300AD, but Rome remained the capital of the western empire. Not many of EB factions historically switched capitals during 272BC-(whenever the game ends). One that I think was Seleukeia switched to Antiocheia, I'm not sure about it though...

abou
12-18-2006, 19:34
Towards the end of the Western Empire's life, the capital was changed to Ravenna.

BozosLiveHere
12-18-2006, 19:59
Perhaps it can be scripted using the test_message command? Just a simple monitor for a war between Baktria and the Seleucids, and maybe a counter thrown in there so the message is only displayed once...

That's how we scripted them in the first place, using the roman civil war slots. My fear is that the fact that the roman factions don't belong to the roman culture anymore may be causing issues with the engine.

-Praetor-
12-19-2006, 04:16
Okey, the baktrians definitively need to be toned down... a lot... in 3 of the the last 4 pics we all have seen the monster they become pretty early in the game, obliterating most of the Parthians and the Sakas (WIP faction, I know).

IMHO (In my humble opinion)

On another matter, sorry that I don`t have a pic for this, but in my Makedonian Campaign, the parthians just got wiped out in 264 by the seleukids, effectively making them the first faction that I see wiped out in all my EB 0.8 games. Just felt the need to inform you of this...

Cheers!!!!

Teleklos Archelaou
12-19-2006, 05:30
Parthians will probably get a major major overhaul (and will be the most unique faction in the game when it's done) in the patch after our next one. One thing our next one will include is three extra spies for Pahlava at the start. We're hoping the AI sees a little more rebellion in those Seleukid territories south of the Pahlava. But it hasn't really made a big dent in the one campaign I've run so far.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-19-2006, 05:36
I have just reached 230 (my AI progress is irrelevant because I have been helping out half of them and trying to cripple the other half), but I have noticed that nearly all the towns on the map are maxing out in size. (Exceptions being ipsos, desert settlements, sinope, and damaskos (ironic on the last two).)

So I have a question for those of you who have played for several decades: Are all of the AI towns (and infact your own), especially the rebels, maxed out in size for their culture?

Gazius
12-19-2006, 07:31
I thought there might be some interest from the results of a AI game I've been running for a while.

https://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/nurotic257/mappy.jpg
215 BC. No script, since its an AI game, and BI. I'd strongly recommend to any player that has the spare cash to get it in some format, I tried a game with 1.5, on accident, and it was boring compared to BI. I'd have to say the jump between 1.5 and 1.6 is the biggest improvement in AI I've seen. And I'm loving every minute of it.

-Iberians are quick pickings for carthage if they choose to attack

-carthage itself could probaby take out epeiros in italy, and sieze what it needs from rome no problem if they moved their forces out of africa

-rome.... doesn't give a rip about italy they're chasing after the large amounts of towns in the direction their heading that have VERY small garrisons

-The Aedui have larger army, but overall I think arverni control more land. Seems pretty well balanced between the two

-Casse almost control all of the Isles, however the huge number of stacks, and the overwhelming number of ships in those stacks will probably prevent a naval invasion from ever occuring.

- Sweboz, sarmatians, and Getai are the undead. Doesn't the script where, if they have armies in other people's land, they get money, at least for sweboz and getai? Could that be boosted if the faction is played by the AI? I get the same results whether its a game I'm playing, or just an AI game. I've yet to see the getai and to a large extent sweboz expand beyond their starting positions in any of the games I've played.

-Epeiros just attacked carthage, so we may see a punic war with them instead of Rome, that should be interesting, especially if carthage navally invades greece. I'd say their forces in the area are well matched, epeiros might have the upper hand at the moment, but I suspect carthage will get off its ass and attack

-KH is about ready to take out pella, and it looks like chalkis shouldn't be far behind, considering that they have a huge army at athens

-Hayasdan have the way, but not the will, same with saka.

-Baktria could pose a threat to seleukia if they could make a stack. They probably have two full ones, but their so splintered its pathetic.

-Pahlava are making a half-hearted attempt at Baktria

-Saba seems to have the most life in the east, and after this was taken they started to make a come back. (214)

-Despite the map mod, carthage still has a army in the province south of Kyrene, and Ptolemy, albeit in a very stupid direction, is heading over to attack I think. They could challenge Seleukia if they wanted, but they just mill around.

-Pontos is fish food

-Seleukia surprised me by controlling so much. However, their army/empire size ratio is quite low, thankfully there's no strong opposition to them at the moment otherwise I imagine they'd collapse. Not that there's a event or trait like the EB page describes as far as I know. They're rtying to push KH out of asia minor right now.

That about sums it up, I can't think of anything else to note on.

Bava
12-19-2006, 10:18
Makedonian campaign, 220 BCE, BI-exe.

https://img83.imageshack.us/img83/8420/rometwbibaktriaaw6.png

Count the baktrian stacks :help:
https://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6766/rometwbiownedjs2.png

Even if i wanted to fight all these armies on the battlemap (i dont), it would be impossible as most of them have 1 or 2 Baktrian Hippeis (-> CTD).
At least the army upkeep has put a serious dent in their economy...their treasury is below 400,000 mnai now.

Reminds me somehow of RTR Macedon (the black plague ~D).

@MarcusAureliusAntoninus

Yes, even the most remote towns have a population of ~ 20000 now.

Despite the map mod, carthage still has a army in the province south of Kyrene

I noticed the same, they´re sending their stacks to kyrene with ships now.

Justiciar
12-19-2006, 11:19
I like how the Romans are no longer Roman, and are instead some strange Central European power founded, essentially, by remnants of the Roman army cut off at the frontiers. Brulliant. :2thumbsup: Some really interesting games going on here.

Kugutsu
12-19-2006, 11:43
Bactria in my campaign has become a monster too, protectorating Saka and wiping out the Parthians. Im hoping that they will take some Seleukid attention away from me soon, but Im not looking forward to the day when we meet...

I noticed that every town is a large or huge city, population growth needs to be seriously limited. It ridiculous to have a world in 240BC littered with towns of 30-odd thousand people. And thats even on the steppes...

Rome also has remained steadfastly allied to Carthage, and is instead pursuing a crusade against the gauls. The Arverni have already fallen, and the Aedui are on the ropes. No Punic wars in sight.

Changes from 249BC:
https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3136/249bcrc0.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
To 242BC:
https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7168/242bcim6.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Casse, Sweboz and Lusetanns have still done nothing, Getai finally made a move and took the province to the south of their start point, but a full stack of epirots is lurking near that city, so I dont know how long they will hold it for. The fact that Epeiros has nearly surrounded the Getai doesnt bode well for them...

Sdragon
12-19-2006, 15:05
I like how the Romans are no longer Roman, and are instead some strange Central European power founded, essentially, by remnants of the Roman army cut off at the frontiers. Brulliant. :2thumbsup: Some really interesting games going on here.

Indeed, the Holy Roman Empire has arrived early in that game.

Bava
12-19-2006, 17:49
Indeed, the Holy Roman Empire has arrived early in that game.

Good one. ~D

Maybe i should give the getai a new home at the lovely shores of Quart Hadasht? Would be nice to have some vandals in the game, imo...

Gazius
12-20-2006, 04:41
https://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/nurotic257/179.jpg

I won't be continuing as it constantly CTD's on Epeiros turn.

QwertyMIDX
12-20-2006, 06:27
Is this an -ai game or are you controlling one of the factions?

Gazius
12-20-2006, 07:53
No script, since its an AI game, and BI.

As mentioned in my first post.

Moros
12-20-2006, 14:02
love the aedui in that game!

Zero1
12-21-2006, 04:34
Makedonian campaign, 220 BCE, BI-exe.

Count the baktrian stacks :help:
https://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6766/rometwbiownedjs2.png

Even if i wanted to fight all these armies on the battlemap (i dont), it would be impossible as most of them have 1 or 2 Baktrian Hippeis (-> CTD).
At least the army upkeep has put a serious dent in their economy...their treasury is below 400,000 mnai now.

Reminds me somehow of RTR Macedon (the black plague ~D).

@MarcusAureliusAntoninus

Yes, even the most remote towns have a population of ~ 20000 now.

I noticed the same, they´re sending their stacks to kyrene with ships now.

HOOOOOLY SMOOOOKES!

Look at Baktria go!, they've formed a neo-Persian Indo-Greek empire

Constantine the Great
12-21-2006, 04:45
I counted roughly 14 stacks, when you add some of those smaller armies together. They may be impossible to stop.

Teleklos Archelaou
12-21-2006, 06:40
Bavarian, what does the unit structure of those Roman cities/armies look like? Are they mostly regionals, or are there some good auxilia, or core roman units or what? That's the sort of thing I'd love to be able to develop and then fight against.

Atticus Finch
12-21-2006, 06:56
Me as KH, 238 BC, running off the 1.5exe

https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4852/0002du7.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

(dunno how to make minimap bigger, sorry)

Egypt is rolling the Selecuids (see pic)

Bactria is doing well, but not as well as they seem to be doing in everyone else's campaigns.

Sweboz is doing really well, but Casse, Getai, and the Iberians (I forget their EB name) are all stagnant.

Bava
12-21-2006, 12:30
Bavarian, what does the unit structure of those Roman cities/armies look like? Are they mostly regionals, or are there some good auxilia, or core roman units or what? That's the sort of thing I'd love to be able to develop and then fight against.

Roman Capital:

https://img304.imageshack.us/img304/9120/rometwbicapitalva4.png

https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7008/rometwbiromanvq4.png

https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5193/rometwbiromean2qc0.png

https://img154.imageshack.us/img154/8854/rometwbiqm6.png

Never played as SPQR in EB but they aren´t able to recruit principes and such outside italy, are they?

The only roman buildings in cities seem to be gov type 2, roads (i love to see highways in the woods of germania ~D), temples and auxillia.

NeoSpartan
12-21-2006, 14:46
did u see that Hestati and Triarii??????

Those are Camilian units. Means that the reforms haven't hit yet so the recruitment of Camilian Roman soldiers is limited to central italy.

Bava
12-22-2006, 00:15
Finally won my campaign, 215 BCE.

https://img386.imageshack.us/img386/2175/rometwvictoylq5.png

I´ve been really lucky as ptolemies threw all their stacks towards Baktria (aka "Blue Scare") while i launched a naval attack with 6 full stacks from cyprus to conquer the coastal cities and bribed seleukia.

Oh, and here is the new Megas Alexandros: Conquerer of Rome, Capua and Damaskos, Butcher of Galatia, worshipper of Ares, philosopher, winner at the Olympic games and a true Makedon: Kephalon Methonaios, a f****** 8 star!

https://img105.imageshack.us/img105/1220/generalpw7.jpg

I really love this guy! (maybe because all of my other generals are retards ~D)

Gazius
12-22-2006, 02:05
Isn't Great Builder and Great Architect pretty much the same? Or does Builder refer to something else?

Numahr
12-22-2006, 10:29
Bavarian,

Great Campaign! I like the way the world is now divided between 5 empires: yours (the mightiest), a very plausible Carthaginian one in the western Med., an equally plausible Celtic on in France and Southern Alps, the surprising Baktrian one, and well.... this fascinating "Roman-Germanic" Empire.

IMO the balance between very "realistic" evolutions (Cathage, Celts) and original ones (the semi-barbarian "New Roman Empire") is a proof of the success of the EB engine, congrats again EB team! :balloon2:

- Now can you tell us your relations with your neighbors, especially Romans and Carthies? Is Carthage a good commercial partner as one would imagine?

- What do your armies look like? How and where do you recruit them?

MiniMe
12-22-2006, 14:04
Bavarian,
...the surprising Baktrian one...
I believe, Baktria's only serious rival (Seleucid) is surrounded. Once they fall, and that's what usually happens when they have a war with Ptolemais => Baktria wins. Always.
I hope, EB team is going to somehow power up north-eastern nomads.

Bava
12-22-2006, 14:20
Great Campaign! I like the way the world is now divided between 5 empires: yours (the mightiest) [...]

Thanks! But mine isnt the mightiest, Baktria is (at least in military terms).

- Now can you tell us your relations with your neighbors, especially Romans and Carthies? Is Carthage a good commercial partner as one would imagine?

I´ll refer to the status of 220 BCE (in 219 the whole world went mad and declared war on me.~D)

Heres the pic again:

Getai: have been my allies since turn 2.

Aedui: Allies too (since ~245). Gave them 3 cities and they are fighting against Rome for me.:whip:

Rome: Enemy since i kicked them out of italy (~240), wont accept ceasefire since we have a tiny little border at segestica.

Qart Hadasht: My archenemy. Im playing with BI-exe so they´re invading sicily (and even italy) regularly. I razed Q. H. twice (maybe i forgot to salt the earth the first time), the other african coastal cities once but they´re still trying to reconquer Lilibeo.
Bastards! (no offense to carthage players :san_grin:)
So, sorry, i dont know if they are good trading partners.

For my army compostion and where to recruit them please have a look at the link in my sig (i added the recruitment list +necessary MIC levels of faction units in homeland territories today).

Oh, and thanks to the EB team for this wonderful mod/game/learning tool/experience again!

Teleklos Archelaou
12-23-2006, 03:49
That's one of the best player made generals I have seen in EB yet. Congratulations! Keep that screenshot - maybe we'll have a "greatest generals" contest down the road. :grin:

As the game developed further, did more traditional roman troops start showing up in their new empire? Or did they miss their reforms and never really get "romanizing" abilities?

Bava
12-23-2006, 12:51
Keep the screenshot?! man, i printed it out and hung it up on my wall along with a nice, golden picture frame. (just kidding...~D)

As the game developed further, did more traditional roman troops start showing up in their new empire? Or did they miss their reforms and never really get "romanizing" abilities?

They´ve never had Messana and Syrakousai, so yes, they missed the triggers for the polybian reforms. But as far as i understand the FAQ about the roman reforms they should get it in 210, no matter if they´re still in italy or not, right?
Or do the reforms need a hidden_resource Rome or something like that?

Ower
12-23-2006, 16:16
My second try as Epirus. (forgot to make shots at the start)
266BC:
https://img351.imageshack.us/img351/1831/266bcba4.th.jpg (https://img351.imageshack.us/my.php?image=266bcba4.jpg)

261BC:
https://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2060/261bcyz4.th.jpg (https://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=261bcyz4.jpg)

256BC:
https://img48.imageshack.us/img48/7988/256bcvo6.th.jpg (https://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=256bcvo6.jpg)

254BC:
https://img326.imageshack.us/img326/5408/254bccn2.th.jpg (https://img326.imageshack.us/my.php?image=254bccn2.jpg)

Realy interesting Campain The Succesor war(AS vs Ptol.) is an up and down ride, with Bactria and Pahlava whanting a bit of AS, but only bactria was succesful so far. AS has swalowed almoust all neutrals around it west from the borders to Bactria. This resulted in Ancyra rebel from the AS to the Arveni :dizzy2:

A great Aliance SPQR, Carthago, Gatai, and the Getai alied whit Pontos, gives me the chill.
Well I'm in war with SPQR and Carthago, which is one masiv battle after another (both have quit large stacks which i have to handle), Therfor i have strong garnisons in Mesana and Rome. Because of the AI alies a have quit strong ones at Ambrakia and Pella (reason Me Ally KH). Acutaly I'm besieging Pergamun.

What is interesting is Getai, whitch is quit active in this campain, forcing their way north, and the fact that the Sauromate advance slowly.

Casse is taking Britany one settelment after another, Gallic wars are brutal but not mutch change there.
Carhago is swalowing its half of Africa, and there could be in war whit the Ptolemaios soon.

Saba is stuck at 3 setelments, Hia does nothing whit a full stack at the capital, same for the Sweboz, Lusotannan is unable to take any other setelment, and the Saka are a protectorate of Bactria.

And last but not least Macedon stil defends Chalkis from KH, and has Lesbos.

Oleo
12-23-2006, 17:39
And another one: Roman campaign through BI.exe, I had a KH invasion in south-east Italy :sweatdrop: (they forgot to bring a real army though).

Sweboz, Epirus and Pontos not doing badly, The latter suffering from rebellions. Epirus being pushed back by Sweboz and Aedui rebellion. Ptolemies and Baktria are too much for Seleucids.

250 BC:
https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2919/rome250ue0.jpg

240 BC:
https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6995/rome240bcry2.jpg

230 BC:
https://img293.imageshack.us/img293/7164/rome230bchy1.jpg

220 BC:
https://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1175/roman220ig5.jpg

Bava
12-23-2006, 18:28
Pontus, casse and sweboz are doing pretty well. I wonder whats the trigger for their expansion (especially casse and sweboz)?

Ptolemies are real scary, hope they´ll lose some territory to sabae.
And Baktria is about to become the Big Blue Monster as in everone´s campaign.

Are you playing with house rules (e.g. historical dates for invasions)?

Kugutsu
12-23-2006, 21:13
An update on my Hayasdan Campaign. Heres how it looked 20 years ago:

Changes from 249BC:
https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3136/249bcrc0.jpg (https://imageshack.us)
To 242BC:
https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/7168/242bcim6.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

And now, in 229BC, we are like this:
https://img169.imageshack.us/img169/9259/229bciq5.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Although it doesnt seem like a lot has happened, it is quite different on the ground.

Carthage has suddenly decided to start attacking people, and has declared war on Rome, Ptolies, Greece and Epeiros, all at once, and is wading into southern Italy. Epeiros took advantage of the confusion to take back Taras, while Greece somehow picked up Syracuse (rebellion, I guess).

The Aedui are still fighting back at the Romans, and seem to be holding their own, even gaining territories back from them.

The Casse have finally woken up, and are taking over the Isles, pretty fast too, considering they sat there doing nothing for 40-odd years. The Sweboz are still sitting at home, though now they are sharing a border with Rome, I guess they will either have to wake up, or get wiped out.

The Getai and the Lusotanns have done nothing, and will soon be gone as they have large, aggressive neighbours.

KH and Epeiros are still struggling to dominate Greece.

The Sauromatae and Saka are both protectorates of Bactria, who are now attacking Seleukia.

I have taken the fight to Seleukia, taking all their mountain cities down the the persian gulf, which leaves them split into two cities in Anatolia, one in Arabia which is pretty worthless and the area in the east which Bactria have their eye on. I dont envy the Seleukids at all...

My long time allies the Ptolies turned on me the minute we shared a border, and to fund my war against them I decided to annex Pontus, who were doing quite well in their neutrality until I marched on them. As it is, they will probably be gone by the end of the decade...

Radier
12-24-2006, 12:39

Either way, the answer is 'no'. They can't reappear if they've been wiped out.

Sorry for late answer. I didn't even touch the Romans or any other faction as I struggled to unite and build up Brittain first. I will try to get a picture of my minimap. :smash:

Zaknafien
12-25-2006, 07:07
Here is the campaign Ive been running for the past few days with the internal build 8.1/8.2 whatever it may be..

Using BI exe, btw.

Some interesting things going on. FIrst, the world situation:

https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/Alhazenalrashid/Picture1-3.jpg

I am of course playing the Romani, and if youre following "Eagles Dare", this is the campaign the game is based on so a tatse of things to come as it were. Ive tried to keep Roman intervention to a minimum, conducting a very long, drawn out Punic War thats lasted from 262 BCE to 218 and continues on.. entire generations have fought and died over Sicily, Sardinia, and Corsica, and numerous naval engagements have been fought. Rome's admirals have gained much experience but the Carthaginian navy continues to press them and launch multiple sea-borne invasions to reclaim their isles, not to mention subjugating the coast of Iberia to fund their war.

The Hellenic League, once allies, attacked Rome after a Roman expedition against the pirates of Crete. Roman Consuls invaded with two armies to teach the effette hellenes a lesson they would not forget, storming and slaughtering both Sparte and Korinthos, and enslaving Thermon. The war goes on..

The Aeudi/Arverni/Casse have not done much and are just now beginning to wake up, although theyve been beaten back many times from sieges of independent cities.

Sweboz are..living peaceful lives as lumberjacks and turd farmers.

The Lusotann have been in at least 12 wars with Carthage, but continue to sue for peace repeatedly, not being able to really get off the ground.

The Getai siezed one province early, then stagnated.

Macedonia expanded, then contracted in a bitter fight against KH and Epirus.

Potos was wiped out when Sinope rebelled to KH and spanwed gold-chevron ninjas who wiped them off the earth and defacated their temples.

Antiochus' empire has been overrun from every side, and a small core of AS provinces remain in the mountians fighting off yearly Ptolemaic excursions.

And now, a closer look at the center stage of world affairs..

https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/Alhazenalrashid/Picture2-1.jpg

Gazius
12-25-2006, 16:25
My finest general ever seen in EB, and a status update from my latest roman campaign. I've given each faction I want to succeed at least a million mnai, but only the sarmatians took off on their own.

https://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/nurotic257/lesgeneral.jpg

Zaknafien
12-26-2006, 06:18
Quick update on my campaign, factions are starting to come together now. 10 years later...

https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/Alhazenalrashid/Picture1.jpg

Fondor_Yards
12-26-2006, 09:18
Sweboz are..living peaceful lives as lumberjacks and turd farmers.

:laugh4: :2thumbsup:

Barnabas
12-26-2006, 11:48
Another update at 237bc from my Pontic campaign. I'll quote the earlier map fyi.

An update at 245bc, 8 years later (I'll keep it at a nice 10 years of progression per time after this. Sorry for starting at an odd 253 :oops: )

https://img98.imageshack.us/img98/4792/247bcxm9.jpg

https://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1857/238bcbmpxw3.jpg

It's hard to see from the map, but Seleucia and the Ptolemies have swapped major cities (capitals). Seleucia has occupied Alexandria for the last 7 years, and the Ptolemies have occupied Antiochia for at least 15 years. Without intervention, I believe Seleucia would own a much larger chunk of the Ptolemies' holdings at this points. I'm quite pleased that Seleucia has held on for so long, and has even launched a counter-offensive against me!

Saba is doing well and living dangerous, as they are at war with BOTH Seleucia and the Ptolemies. We'll see how long they last. Baktria is not at war with Seleucia yet, but is continuing to mop up rebel provinces and making a move on Saka (might as well, since they have been stagnant all game). The Parthians are stagnant, though Seleucia has declared war on them.

Getai has managed to take one province and is at peace with Epirus, Makedon, KH, and Pontos, so it looks like they may have a chance to expand. I'm really happy that the Sauromatae have taken two provinces and are about to take another. I'll be up for a good fight on my northern border when these nomads take a few more provinces. They have crushed numerous stacks of rebels and show no signs of losing momentum.

Rome is struggling to take Corsica/Sardinia, but has failed over the past 20 years. The Qarthadastim and The Romanii declare war on each other every turn... I'm not sure what that is about. Qarthadastim, for some odd reason, has a half-stack near Alexandria, and has THREE full stacks in south Iberia, which have been keeping the peace for 10 years without taking an additional province. Lusotanna, Sweboz, and Casse might as well be neutral provinces since they have done nothing at all for the entire game.

The Avernii have been forced to become a protectorate of Rome, but are at war with their Gallic brothers.

The most interesting turn of events has been the KH as they destroyed Makedon, with the help of the Epirotes, of course. The final Makedonian city was forced to break their alliance with me and become a protectorate of the KH. I, naturally, declared war on the KH, invaded Rhodes, and have begun a march on Athens. In response, Epirus and the KH have launched JOINT invasions several times on Rhodes (yes, this is BI.exe), have sent hoardes of spies against me, and have forced me to be on the defensive (until my recent liberation of the former capital of Makedon). I managed to stop a really impressive 3/4 stack invasion to Rhodes dead in the water (literally) by sinking the KH's fleet before it reached Rhodes.

Conqueror
12-26-2006, 22:02
Karth-Hadast 218 BC

https://img160.imageshack.us/img160/7733/qh218ok2.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Some major changes since my last update. Most importantly (and a nice surprise) is that the barb factions seem to have finally woken up! Casse have unified the British islands and the Sweboz have become a real powerhouse in the Western/Northern Europe. The ones doing best however are the Getai, who in a very short time have expanded greatly. In Gaul the Aedui have gained an upper hand over the Arverni, but it's probably too late for them.

The Epirote Empire is past it's glory days and decaying, with most of it's neighbours wanting a piece of it. My Makedonian allies are making a comeback and expanding at the cost of the Epirotes. The Romans (if you can still call them that) also show signs of vitalizing. They were reduced to only a narrow strip on the southern Gallic coast, but now they have made great progress by expanding to Iberia. Pontos and Hayasdan are somewhow surviving.

The Sauromatae have been broken up by the monster that is the Baktrian Empire. Pahlava exist in a weird symbiosis with the Baktrians. All that remains of the once mighty Seleukid Empire is a single province by the Hindu Kush. The Baktrians attack them almost every turn but the Seleukid armies fight like tigers. It doesn't look good for them but I'm kind of hoping that they'll survive. Strangely, India remains untouched.

The Ptolemaic Empire has a never-ending supply of well-armed phalangites (Klerouchikon Agemata or something like that) which they keep throwing at me in waves. Egypt is one massive warzone, with big battles fought there every turn, and it's absolutely bankrupting me. I'm hoping that the Saba will distract the Ptolemies and fearing that they'll turn on me when I eventually expand up the Nile.

Gazius
12-26-2006, 23:00
A new world order forged by Roman coffers
https://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l286/nurotic257/the-sound-of-war-drums.jpg

Lucasiewicz
12-26-2006, 23:10
@ Gazius: wow, Casse invaded the mainland!! Awesome :)

Thaatu
12-26-2006, 23:17
That's a crazy one Gazius. I mean Casse in Gaul, Aedui in Ireland and Epirote in Asia minor and Phoenicia... Wow. You're going to have a lot of trouble with Parthia later on. I know you don't need THIS advice but have fun. That situation is just insane. :san_shocked:

Zero1
12-26-2006, 23:18
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/Manoftyr/Swebozmap560x364.jpg

Okay, first of note...I am engaged in a mutual alliance with the Averni that has held, we have military access and joint help against the Aedui and Carthage.

Carthage has rolled through Iberia and has been sending stacks of crack troops up into Gaul, so far, the combined efforts of myself and the Arverni has stopped them.

Seleukia is unstoppable, it just ate Baktria and is about to eat Pahlavia and is in the process of eating the Ptolemies...soon they will control the entire east.

Saka and the Getai are expanding nicely as well, the Getai strangely avoiding their historical Dacian capital for some reason. The Getai are also, amassing some forces on my eastern border and my force me to completely withdraw from my western front and leave the Arverni to fend for themselves against the Carthage horde...and I can't foresee that ending well for anybody.

Epieros has been clinging on to Illyria, south-eastern Italy and Sicily despite attack from K.H., Carthage, Rome and what's left of the Aedui from all fronts...I don't foresee them holding out any longer though, maybe a decade or two at the most.

I don't foresee anyone standing up to this new Seleukid beast, which was strangely concocted after a disastrous defeat at the hands of the Ptolemies in which they lost Antioch. They went east and contrary to as-per-usual achieved great success, then, after conquering new territories in the east they turned around and kicked the Ptolemies to the curb, then they conquered Baktria and now they're gobbling up everything in sight. Quite an interesting development.

The year is 224 btw

Zaknafien
12-26-2006, 23:34
Have fun forging new world orders... in 8.1 the Roman coffers are not so.. robust :(

Gazius
12-26-2006, 23:46
I put the casse there, but they expanded on their own. The Aedui in Ireland are there due to revolt, but are making good use of it, I suspect it'll be a interesting situation in a decade at the latest.

The epirotes are there by my hand as well, and are getting beat back, though clinging on somewhat well. Parthia I keep trying to expand, but they just get muched. They had all but Baktra from Baktria, and even more of seleukia, but they were pushed back.

I'm sorry to hear the roman coffers are being reduced, however, the roman mnai is actually quite diluted, allowing them to produce 40,000 coins for the price of one. All in all, I must have pumped a billion mnai into various factions by now.

Kugutsu
12-27-2006, 03:24
Well, its 217BC and things are looking interesting:
https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6239/217bcpv7.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

It is the age of epic stalemates between empires...

The Casse have united the isles and are standing along the south coast with about 6 full stacks, looking wistfully at france. BUT there are no less than ELEVEN full stack pirate fleets in the north sea, so I have my doubts about whether they will ever invade...

Sweboz has finally been woken by Rome, and has allied with the Aedui against them. The gauls are looking strong, and with their allies are locked in struggle with Rome. The balance of forces seems equal, so I cant predict an outcome yet.

In Greece, the Epirotes and KH are still fighting, and their struggles have even spread to the Crimea. Again, no victor can yet be predicted, as although the Epirotes are bigger, they are less wealthy, and are also still trying to crush the Getai, and are also at war with some gaulish outposts.

Carthage is about to kill the Lusetanns for good, and looks to take all of Iberia, however in the east they are locked in battle with KH and the Ptolies.

In the north, the Sauromatae seem to have thrown off the Bactrian yoke, and are expanding again. Saka however is still a vassel state of Bactria.

Bactria and Seleukia are balanced quite well in the east, although the Seleukids for some reason will not accept a peace treaty from me, and continue to bleed their armies dry trying to attack my cities... Fools.

Saba is forging quite an Arabian empire, fighting against the Ptolies, who are focusing on trying to keep me off their land. :whip:

I have crushed Pontus and the Macedons foolishly decided to declare war on me from their precarious position with one city and one general. I killed him in battle, so they are gone too, joining Parthia and the Arverni in the history books. Once the Carthies finish of the Lusotanns and the Epirots get rid of the Getai, I reckon the rest of us will be here for the duration, as all are well established and powerful (except the Saka, but they have been a client of Bactria virtually all game).

-Praetor-
12-28-2006, 04:21
EDITED. Please delete this.

Reverend Joe
12-28-2006, 06:53
I will tell you now, DO NOT INVADE GREECE NOW. In your current state, trying to open a second front across the seas will break you. Try to break the Lusotannan first.

-Praetor-
12-28-2006, 13:26
Okey, here`s mine. There`s also a small AAR if you like to read, down this post.

https://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6159/empirerw5.jpg

I money-cheated for me, in order to be able to bribe seleukids settlements and giving them to the pahlava in order for them to beat the hell of the seleukids once and for all. I just got sick and tired of them being wiped out on the 10 first years. I know, I know, I`m despicable. :grin:

But doesn`t my map look pretty? :grin: :grin: :grin:

The greeks (Epeirotes, KH and lately, Maks) have been raiding tarentum pretty regularly. I have to keep a full sized legion in order to stand properly against them. I got some thorakitai from them as a nice christmas present, the bastards.

There`s something really fascinatig that has been happening in mainland greece. The last 40 years the Koinon Hellenon and the Maks have been kicking their asses real bad (the epeirotes are just watching very amused how both his neighbours blow their teeths out). The koinon hellenon kinda advanced steadily, taking corinthus, chalkis, thermon and then thessaly, but suddenly the maks woke up and leaved the Koinon hellenon with nothing more than Sparta and Chalkis on the mainland.

It was pretty fast and violent.

Sooo, I got a perfect excuse to intervene and save the poor hellennes from makedonian tyranny. They will too late find out that they passed from Herodes to Pilatus :grin: .

The gauls have been very gentlemen with me, and haven`t attacked me, not even once. they started to have problems with the sweboz, so things are bound to get interestin in central europe.

The wars with carthage raged for 30 years, seizing Sicily, Corsica, Sardinia, Baleares. After that, I decided to put a stop to Carthaginean dominance in southern iberia. I choosed Emporion, from which I started the conquest of punic hispania. It ended with my total domination of western med.

But 3 turns after I kicked the Carthagineans off Hispania, the Lusotannan, my faithful allies (We even had military access with each other) backstabbed me (the bastards) sieging Gadir.

So, here`s the situation: I`m cornered up in a pretty disfavouable geostrategic position, and with some full stacks closing in fast. I`ve been able to make them go back, but don`t know for how long I`ll be able to resist their onslaught. But reinforcements are being amassed in Italia (a full stack legion, with another one that stands by if it`s needed), and will come by sea as fast as they can. I cannot afford a third full legion as reinforcement, since my coffers are depleted, and I`m only making 10k, which is not much for the extension of my domains and the huge threats that I must face...

The lusotannans, on the other hand, are finishing the conquest of hispania (amaizing how they did it btw...), conquering the last rebel settlement (Cantabria), and might even try to pay a visit to their friends, the aquitanians. In sum, a cohesionated geographical entity, solid economy and the largest and most seasoned troops in western mediterranean, since they kicked the carths to the water (With my help) and conquered the rest of the rebel settlements with iron and fire.

And I`ve learned something. Lusotannans can get very vicious sometimes.

Here`s what happened. After I wiped out the Carths, I leaved my cities there with very strong garrisons comprised of local troops (caetratii, scutarii, gestikapoinan, hoplites in the greek cities) and a full roman camilian legion in hispania (ful stack) commanded by a consul, in order to withstand any uprisings, ad surprises that my then beloved lusotannans would spring on me.

So. I spotted 2 spies on Gader (that`s Cádiz BTW) So, my army stationed in Mostia was quicly movilized through the southern coastal path towards gadiz in order to prevent any surprises. I was unable to arrive in time, the guy sieged them and the spies opened the gates. I withstood the siege with heavy cassualties, but lucky me, I had already builded 3rd level auxilia there, so i could replenish my forces with locals. For the time being I leaved my auxiliaries there ( 2 Balearics, 2 Scutarii and 2 Scortamareva ). I took back with me 2 Caetrannan. So, my legion ended with 2 Hastatii, 2 Principes, 2 Triarii, 1 Equites romanii, 1 Curisii and 1 Balearic slingers + my General. 12 units

Good, so my roman legion (lacking seriously in support troops) was unused, and was sitting near cádiz. What can I do? We could go fast towards Mastia on the coastal road. It`s fast, but I`m not in a hurry, and this army demands to be used.

Okey, to make a show of force, and to eliminate any small stacks amassing against Mastia, I took the inland route, through the lands of the betisians, that goes paralell to the coastal road but behind a tall mountain ridge. Besides, I wanted to investigate, because I was sure to have seen a lusotannan full stack with a FM marauding over here, so, let`s take a look and if I find it, eliminate it. A typical Search and Destroy mission...

oh my, who was going to find who....

It was good at first, fought a single unit of iberii velites, and some remains of previous wars, a unit of iberi milites and a very depleted unit of Iberi curisii, so, the road was quite expedit. Where`s my spy? I asked... oh, I should have left him in Gader when I gave them the reinforcements.

Okey, now just a bit more to reach mastia... I right-clicked on the city, all the line on green, okey, let`s go...

¡¡¡BOOOOOM!!!

"WTF? Ah, a Pop up": You`ve been ambushed, you`r men didn`t knew nothing of the attack, you won`t have time to prepare, you`re fucked... :shout:

I looked at the map, and there was the bastard hidden behind a single pine tree... dang!

Okey, let`s go to the battlemap...

My army stretched in a horrible line, the terrain was mountainous, with some forests, and to top it all off, I was at the bottom of 2 cliffs...

Marvellous sight.

I tried to form a single line with 2 fronts, since the entire enemy army had 1 general, 5 Gestikapoinan, 3 Scortamareva, 5 Caetrannan, a pair of iaovamann, a pair of Cavalry (didn`t quite see which was it, my gues is Curisi) and a full 3 silverchevroned unit of the toughest, meanest MTF on Iberia :

Ambakaro

https://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2674/ambakaropresentationdw1.th.jpg (https://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ambakaropresentationdw1.jpg)

My army`s composition was already exposed, a full Camilian legion, (2H+2P+2T+1 Equites +1 General) but with very little allies, so I lacked support troops (only had one unit of balearics) and movile light troops (just two caetrannan).

The worst part of all, is that my army was comprised of the greenest units (the general just had 3 bronze chevrons, a pair of hastatis had 2 bronze chevrons, a principe with 3 bronze, and the rest of the army had no experience whatsoever), since I took the most seasoned troops back towards Italia in order to play their role in the conquest of the Po valley. This was a "what if" unit, and one that should have been supported by allies!!!!

Well, both enemy lines threw their soliferum while I was still triying to organize my men for a back to back fight, so I took horrendous losses, and then they dashed on me screaming "Wololoooooo". They clashed against my thin (and soon very red) line... from both sides... simoultaneously.

It was a mess, but my men were holding pretty good. They even got to organize into solid lines, well able to mantain a battle.

But my general was suddenly impaled by the iberian cavalry that made a thunderous charge on it`s flank (My consul was old, and he had many traits that decreased his HP). He fell, overrun by the first charge, and his personal guard fought valiantly but routed in the end. It was the most severe loss of the battle, and one that fatally decided the encounter: he had 102 bodyguards (he was a consul, remember?).

The battle raged, both sides had tremendous losses, but one of the two caetratii units that I had broke up against the enemy ambakaros... the which, subsequently, clashed on the backs of my triarii (the ones that my caetratii were guarding).

From then, it all went down. All my camilian triarii broke up... they just couldn`t stand fighting against 2 units of Scortamareva each, and then having the cavalry and the Ambakaro clashed behind them, all under a rain of javelins. My equites didn`t existed at that minute, and my Curisii were bogged down trying to free themselves of the mess that was causing the scutarii to my (still holding) right flank, the one that had all my principes and hastatii.

After the triarii debacle, the iaovamann (lusotannan skirmishers) started to throw volley after volley against the hastatis and principes, but that proved too much for the rest of my heavies... they broke up, and most of the rest of my army fought to the death, since they were surrounded.

1 badly beaten principes units, 1 hastati in even worst shape, and some caetratii was all that was left from this mayor ambush. Enemy casualties were high among their caetrannan, but mostly due to friendly fire...

The remains of the consular army retreated towards Mastia.

For sure, the next year will come pregnant of disgraces for roman domains in iberia.

Land comunication links are severed, so each outpost has to fare on it`s own, or trust into comunication and reinforcements transported by a single transport fleet that is available for the whole of Iberia and Balearic Islands... at the mercy of pirates.

Mastia is sure to be sieged next year, but it only has a handful of demoralyzed men, and a large but undependable contingent of allied scutarii and mercenaries to defend itself.

Arsé is poised to fall, since a full stack has crossed the river, and it`s determined to lay sige to the weakly garrisoned city on this summer. Only a miracle can save this condemned city.

Gader is the only city in southern Iberia that can stand a full pitched battle and win it, let alone a siege. But it`s cut off, and will have to fare for itself for a looong time.

Emporion is far away in the north. It has got a good strong greek garrison, and a greek general (an Ion Greek, bribed from the KH :grin: ). It will be our last ditch defence against the spanish hordes... our final stronghold, should the romani forces need regrouping in order to counterattack and regain what`s rightfully ours.

Back in Rome

The end of that spring, a full polibian legion, comprised only of romans (4 Hastati, 4 Principes, 2 Triarii, 2 Velites, 1 Pedites Extraordinarii, 1 Equites Extraordinarii, and 2 generals, one being a seasoned soldier, the other, a young star in accension in the Cursus Honorum -the identity will be revealed later on), were silently boarding transport ships on Ostia, with the entire of the republican fleet as escorts (1 Quinquerreme //52 ships, 3 triremes // 156 ships. Total Ships= 208 man of war, + a transport fleet).

Their mission = To hire mercenary support troops in gaul and in massilia, to arrive into Emporion, march southward, to teach the Lusotannans a lesson they won`t forget, sabilize the war-torn theatre, and, ultimately, to pacify the region.

3 months earlier, another transport ship sailed towards hispania, loaded with spies, diplomats and assasins, in order gather information on our enemies, to sow dissent through covert activities on Lusotannan domains, and, hopefully to incentivate rebellions that will disrupt the menacing confederation.

Another legion, one that was going to sail towards the pelloponese, has an uncertain future, and will stand by, expecting the development of circumstances.

Should our second legion go to the pelloponese, or should it go to reinforce the first one, into hispania, in order to mantain Roman holdings there???

If I make an AAR, I`ll post a poll, in order to give to the comunity such desitions. :grin:

Cheers!!! :grin:

PS: This post was on the previous page, so I edited it and placed here BTW, so consider that Gonzo`s opinion is for this post.

Oleo
12-28-2006, 17:43
Update Roman campaign: old situations.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1362328&postcount=163

220 BC

210 BC

https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2590/rome210ai3.jpg

204 BC

https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/463/rome204bh9.jpg

199 BC

https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4935/rome200yw9.jpg

soibean
12-28-2006, 17:54
I like what the Sweboz and Ptolemies did in your campaign
but what is Pontos trying to prove with its scattered expansion?
serves them right for getting greedy and not worrying about the homeland

Zaknafien
12-28-2006, 18:53
200 BCE... Delendo Carthago estis , as it were.

The Iberians have finally thrown off the Carthaginian yoke thanks to Roman liberators, but likely have schemes of their own..

Macedon finally betrayed us and has attempted hegemony in Greece, but Roman policy is one of enforced peace in the region, and thus several "allied states" have been turned into full Provincia Romana because like little children, the greeks cannot police themselves.

The Aeudi Empire is becoming quite strong, and worrisome..

The Ptolemies have their own problems from Bactria and the emerging power of Saba, let alone the naval-war theyve been fighting with Rome for the past 3 years.

The Getic Alliance is strengthening itself quite nicely as well, and forming the core of a would-be great power in central europe.

Massalia and Syracuse remain independent.

The Parthians and Saka are Bactiran protectorates, and the Hai have invaded the Scythian mainland.

https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/Alhazenalrashid/Picture2-2.jpg

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-29-2006, 11:26
Warning: I did alot of interfering with the other nations.

I am playing as Senatus Populusque Romanus.
Everyone knows how it looks at the beginning. By 264BC both Seleucia and Baktria decide to attack those north of them (saka took Bin Kath first turn but eventually lost it). When Palhav was attacked, i decided to intervene and bribe a couple Baktrian armies and attack Seleucia:
264:https://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9226/264jz7.jpg
I decide to take two settlements from the Seleucids, give them to Parthia and then restore peace with Seleucia. By 258AD the First Punic War starts. Romani (lead by the Scipios) wins, taking Corsica, Sardina, and Lilybaeum then turning to finish off the nearby greeks. But though the war is won the Barca family manages to flee back to Africa and plot revenge. Elsewhere the big three (eastern greeks) take off. HK and Sweboz do pretty well too:
258:https://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9358/258pk9.jpg
Seven years pass and the Second Punic War get an early start, the Gessius family leads a legion down the coast of Iberia, making both allies and enemies. Parthia takes there first and only territory and I take my eastern army to help the Saka. After what I can only assume was an epic war, Seleucia loses many valued territories and surrenders to the Ptolemaic dynasty and peace insues in Alexander's empire:
251:https://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2295/251rk4.jpg
With the Second Punic War over and Carthage in their place, Romani, lead by the appropriately named Victor family, turns to their old enemy Epirus (now lacking Pyrrhos to lead them), then on to Pella to help their HK allies defeat Makedon. Though once their enemy was gone, the greeks sought out new foes and quickly fell to the supperior Roman armies. Assistance for Saka against Baktria continues. Aedui becomes the major power in Gaul. Sweboz starts a war they can't win. And Ptolemai fails to conquer the Arabs:
240:https://img226.imageshack.us/img226/8509/240vf9.jpg
Within a decade all things start looking up for the Romans. The Third Punic War is over. Scipio Africanus rules over the devistated Carthage and Rome starts to make claims in Asia. Up north the Germanic-Celtic War continues. Also I help Getai and give them Sarmasugenthusa. And of course I continue to keep down Baktria:
231:https://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5002/231gg5.jpg
Soon the sandwars start and my long time friends (though not allies) attack Lepsis Magna. They are quickly chased off by the vast Scipio family and soon after Kyrene falls. Due to poor planning, the Ptolemais leave Asia poorly defended and my veterans from Greek(lead by Victor), Illyria(lead by Blasio), and Thrace(lead by Glycoricus) wash over them for a decade. In Iberia, the Lussatanii declare war on my for walking past an ally's town and soon both ally and Lussatani fall. Elsewhere I help my German allies fend off the Aedui and auto_win three full stacks of rebels on the Casse border. Though I begin to regret helping Saka and Getai:
221:https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5966/221gp0.jpg
With time the Romans realize the threat of the Ptolemaic lapdog: Seleucia, with their five full stacks on the Roman border. And Rome starts her first "offensive" war, preempitively striking at the tiny village of Ipsos. Though with Ipsos fallen and Mazaka beseiged by the elderly Blasio, the Seleucids sue for peace, and reluctanly surrender town cities in Cappadocia. The war with Seleucia last only a couple years:
219:https://img138.imageshack.us/img138/103/219ev1.jpg
"Along the Iberian-Gallic border there has long been peace, free trade, and in fact an alliance. But barbarian don't respect alliances, laws, or peace. And soon the hordes of bearded, soap using, trouser wearing animals come knocking at Roman gates. But all is not lost. Over the alps there is a man who has fought off the hordes of Gauls his whole life, in fact his family has fought them off for generations. And so this grizzled man and five legions march off to Gaul to teach them to be civilized. His name is Pavo..."
In sumation: Arveni betrayed me and they fell. Also another decade of warfare passes in Asia and Syria: The last of the Blasio family conquers Pontus. And the Victor family pushes the Ptolemais back to the Nile and sets up a Jewish client kingdom. Elsewhere Casse and Sweboz explode with power:
211:https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/530/211qi8.jpg
And that is where I quit today. The battle in Gaul is epic though. One general is going all around winning fight after fight, leaving his brothers and cousins to govern. (One of his cousins had a silver bar of experience but still had the trait "Green" since he fought along side his cousin for years but never lead.) But the guy himself, the new Caesar, is great: Int/Char/Vig, was educated, Conquering Hero, Populus, member of the Senate, Conquerer of Gaul, actually has 4 command stars, though his is a Pleb (He can't be the one to trigger the "Marian" reforms in a couple decades).

Zaknafien
12-30-2006, 16:57
https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e286/Alhazenalrashid/Picture2-3.jpg

Lucasiewicz
12-30-2006, 18:58
If don't find it surprising that in zaknafien's last picture (ca. 190 BC) Gava-Mazsakata is one of the last eleutheroi' villages. That garrison is really hard to beat, lots of horse archers defending it.

Kugutsu
12-30-2006, 19:01
Heres how my map looks in 189 BC.
https://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1025/189bcrw6.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

The Casse are still stuck. I cant see them getting to the mainland. Do they actually have the capability to build a navy?

The Aedui are surviving somehow on rebellions. Before the Romans/Carthies/Epirots manage to destroy their last settlement, another one pops up somewhere else...

The Carthaginians are steamrolling everyone in their path. The Lusotanns held them in Iberia for the best part of a century, then collapsed, allowing dozens of full stacks of elite african swordsmen to flood into Gaul. They butchered the Roman garrisons, and are now pushing accross the Alps, Hannibal style. Unlike Hannibal, they are also pushing north. Its unlikely the Romans will be able to withstand them, as they have only got Polybian troops.

The Romans were doing well, having pushed the Germans back into eastern europe, and mopping up the Gauls. They have constant border wars with the Epirots, who keep trying to invade the heel of Italy.

The Sweboz were pushed out of germany, and are clinging to life along the Baltic. None of their neighbours are giving them any rest, though no doubt the Romans will be easing off a bit now due to their own troubles...

The Epirots were doing extremely well, until they foolishly decided to invade Nikaia. I responded with a decisive strike with an army I had built in Crete to attack Egypt. Instead I sent it to Sparta. With the help of a super spy I took Sparta, Korinthos and Athens in 3 turns, after which they sued for peace. I agreed, but the fools then attacked again, so I took the rest of Greece. I made peace again, and so far it seems they have learnt their lesson...

The Steppe nomads are not doing a lot, Sauromatae being proterates of Seleukia and Saka never did anything all game.

Bactria were on the verge of extermination, and I gave them a couple of settlements to try to keep the Seleukids off my back. However the Bactrians wont take Bactra off my hands for love nor money. Idiots :wall: To top it all off they have broken their alliance with me to support the Saba :dizzy2:

The Seleukids are a very powerful force in the east. They have Bactria on the ropes, and wont leave my settlements alone. The fact that I havent attacked them, and keep decimating their invading armies doesnt seem to figure...

Saba were my allies until I took Petra, but now have foolishly decided to attack me. I think a punitive expidition is in order to sack their cities and teach them the error of their ways :whip:

The Ptolies were given an extra decade of life by the foolishness of the Epirots, however once they broke our truce and attacked Sidon, I responded with force. Bostra, Heirosolyma and Petra fell in short order, and my most powerful army is currently sitting in the middle of the Nile delta deciding whether to attack Alexandria or Memphis. Either way, its going to be a slaughter... :egypt: --> :skull:

Hopefully I will be able to carry on playing, as having got this far, I have now suffered 3 CTDs in quick succession during the AIs turn, something which I havent had before. Either way, Im going to have to slow down the crazy expansion soon, as distance from my capital is starting to mess with the loyalty of my far-flung empire. Once I take out egypt I will take a break from conquering, me thinks, and send out 'mercenary' armies to screw with some of the more distant peoples of the world :charge: :duel: :laugh4:

Zastrow
12-31-2006, 05:45
Out of curiosity where is your capital? I'd think someplace in Syria or central anatolia would make the most sense.

Kugutsu
12-31-2006, 12:27
My capital is in Tarsos, which is pretty central, if not slightly to the left of the center of my empire. The reason being that I have lots of family in the east who have management and order bonuses keeping those cities happy. Greece is however mosly full of mercs and hoplites from my client cities there, and only one family member in Byzantion who's main function is buying mercs...
The problem I have is that whenever my family members die in the remote corners of the empire, their city goes straight into revolt. Bactra is for example a vast distance away, and totally isolated, however the stupid Bactrians wont take it off my hands.

Good news is I have found the source of my CTD (the Saba - whenever I attack them or they attack me it CTDs). It doesnt appear to be fixable, however I have bribed them into becoming a protectorate, and I will ruthlessly bribe their armies into non-existance and spy their cities into revolt so they are too busy to come bothering me...

Pode
01-02-2007, 04:50
First off, I want to thank the EB crew for an incredible product. I've never been so happy to be sick and have time to game.

Playing Romanii, VH/M, using BI.exe (for some reason, RTW.exe launches Civ 4 Warlords after I installed EB. No, not a shortcut issue, the honest to Gods executable :wall: )

My world, unfortunately stuck due to a recurring CTD. Pahlav took and then completely abandoned a city that's revolting to the beige folks (can't begin to spell them from memory yet, haven't played in their sandbox yet). There's a merc unit available for hire in the province, so I suspect the merc-loyalist rebellion issue. I'd love to be able to teleport my general in there, hire the mercs, disband them, and teleport back home, but I can't get move_character to work with my three-named generals. :help: Some syntax assistance would be gladly repayed in beer.

https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/eric_peddicord/258BC.jpg

I seem to have gotten a different set of AIs than you guys, as it's only 258 BC (so the starting generals are still alive and keeping the strong independent garrisons at home). The Casse have created England (Cassland?) in just 16 years. The Angles and Saxons will have their work cut out for them one day. Except for the fact that they're already part of the mighty Sweboz Federation along with the Danes.

Averni did expand, Lusatann and Epriote have tried too, sort of. Both wore a town down to a general and less than 10 defenders, but attacked with such paltry forces that they lost or retreated. KH tried to take Tara from me via naval invasion and got spanked, but rallied and seem to have Makedon on the ropes.

Qarthadast "helped" me take Region, and never forgave me for the losses they took leading that attack while I sat back and watched. War started when they wanted Syracuse and didn't care that I was paying them tribute or that I'd taken it the turn before. I forgot about the influence loss from failed negotiations, and drove a Natural Born diplomat to -4 influence trying to get them to accept peace. Even in this last turn, they saw no reason to stop fighting despite being driven totally into Iberia!

Peace has held along the AS northern borders and every nation on that front has benefited. AS and the Sabae allied against Ptolies, but that seems to be basically a draw as far as the majors are concerned (Sabae like it though). Baktria has gone east instead of west, and is threatening Pahlav. If that changed, that might break the Diadochi stalemate, probably not in AS favor.

So, here things sit, stuck only 16 years in, at least until I can get a console command syntax tutorial. I just thought I should post as I'm getting what seem to be atypical results. Nerf weapons can be deadly too and should be used with care:laugh4:

Triglav
01-02-2007, 15:25
As I've seen so many of you go through the effort of presenting us your fine game experiences, which I read with delight when I'm not playing, here's mine:

This is my war
This is my battle-field.
Where fire crossing water...

http://www.petrov-petrov.si/%7Etriglav/EB/Sauro241.gif
Playing as Sauromatae.

We Sauromatae have it very hard. Large area to cover, constant rebel uprisings that defy the king's rule and no mentionable source of income. Trade is poor, fertility is poor, resources are scarce. Basically we live off the livestock we herd. But we're brave. And noone can match our skill with the bow on horseback.

In the first few turns I've built merely one horse archer unit, a few buildings, then assembled my few, but fierce armies and marched west to secure more pastures for our herds. The army upkeep was extremely high and in two turns I was in deficit, that just kept growing till I was so deep in red, I never thought I'd get out. But troops were faithful and in following turns we stormed Gelonius and Tanais and beseiged the Hellenic Olbia. Noone could withstand the might of our onslaught and we drowned them in a rain of arrows. We left none alive.

I sent diplomats and spies to explore the world and make useful contacts. Soon I allied with the Getai and started paying them a little tribute as sign of good will. Our diplomat went the the great city of Rome and allied with their growing empire and offered them tribute as well, while others went to Greece, Persia, Africa. All called us friends and we sold them maps of our travels. 1000-2000 mnai from each major kingdom every now and then helped bring our budget in balance. Trade with Pontus and the Seleucid Persians commenced from our newly captured provinces by the Black Sea and we were finally making a profit. Occasional large donations from our friends Romans (gifts from 9000 to 30000 mnai) allowed us to invest in the infrastructure of our growing settlements.

The Hellenic cities on the Crimean penninsula were a disgrace on our sacred soil too long. We beseiged Chersoneos and after two and a half years of starvation the city surrendered to us. We were merciful and spared the lives of the survivors and merely enslaved them, but up to this day they're hostile to us and we need to maintain a strong garrison in the city to keep them from rebelling. Maybe they should have been killed. We just began a siege of Pantikapaion when word came that a large Greek army was marching towards Olbia from Kallatis. Either they came at the plight of their Crimean Hellenic brethren, or they were merely greedy for our pastures...

We had built a small northern army in the meanwhile that took Gava-Thissakata and Gava-Yugra (which added a welcome financial boost in a shape of a mine) and already started a march eastwards to expand further, but we recalled their orders and called them on a long march west to come aid in the defense against the Greek invasion. We abandoned the siege of Pantikapaion and rode west to meet the Greek host. Choroatos, son of old Babai, governor of Olbia, bravely defied the Greeks with a warband of 100 horsemen blocking a river passage, where the Greeks first openly attacked him. His men fought fiercely, inflicted casualities on the Greeks, then retreated. They repeated the same several times, thus weakening and delaying them until relief came. When it came, just the night before the battle, the Greeks were reinforced by several companies of treacherous Skythian horse archers, our cousins, who fight like us, and it was them who inflicted some casualities on our army, but were in the end like the Greeks trampled under the hooves of our horses, while we took the head of a Greek prince.

Our people cried for revenge for this invasion, so we marched south on Kallatis and besieged it. Greeks sent a relief force, and the city garrison sallied and our riders were attacked from two directions. But with speed and maneouver they again destroyed both (approx. half-stack) hoplite armies in one heroic battle and then entered Kallatis unopposed. Men were put to the sword, women to our warriors' tents, loot was plentiful and the temples to their foul gods were burned. But their foul gods in the meanwhile brought a terrible plague onto our city of Olbia which decimated its population and garrison and alas even claimed the life of brave young Choroatos, and as reinforcements could not be sent to Kallatis to hold it against a possible Greek counterattack, we abandoned the city, loaded up wagons with plunder and retreated north. We had given Kallatis to our allies the Getai to keep our border secure from the Greeks, paid 5000 mnai to Epiros to wage war with Greeks (and they took some land from them and settled their allies Gauls on it), and we forced Greeks to accept a ceasfire, paying 30000 mnai in war reparations. This war ended well.

The army in the west then marched north and subdued the woodsmen of Gawjam-Bastarnoz and Gordu-Neuriji, adding their lands and peoples to ours, while the north-eastern army that reached Black sea by now, reinforced by troops from Chersoneos resumed the siege of Pantikapaion, which also surrendered in 2 years.

We had also made allies of Seleucid Persians, though we do not trust them, but we trusted the Haikakan Armenians even less, and sure enough another war broke out as Armenians were spotted advancing north from their mountains into our steppes. The army that took Pantikapaion was sent east and twice we fought Haikakan on the open plains south of Uspe and twice we sent the heads of their princes to their father, though their armoured cavalry was a hard trial for our horsemen. We then counterattacked and took Kotais, claiming it for our own.

Now we stand here, still at war with Haikakan, with the sea of greedy Persians south of us, just waiting to sever our fragile alliance when they're done crushing the Greeks, as they have already done to Makedonians and Pontus. We offered coffers of gold to the Baktrians to wage war on Seleukeia, but they're too afraid, while the Egyptians seem to weak to wage anything but a defensive war. Romans still supply us with gold, which is good, but with only two proper armies of brave steppe horsemen (and several small garrisons of local footmen city garrisons to prevent rebellions), we're in no position to tackle the might of the treacherous Persians.

The omens are unclear and whether the gods will be on our side in the upcoming events is yet to be seen...

Teleklos Archelaou
01-02-2007, 18:50
Really enjoyed those two descriptions Pode and Triglav. :2thumbsup: Hope you are enjoying the difference in the nomad system vs. the regular one Triglav. Haven't seen much mention of it since the 080 release.

Pode
01-02-2007, 20:20
<snip>I seem to have gotten a different set of AIs than you guys, <snip> I just thought I should post as I'm getting what seem to be atypical results.<snip>

And, with the benefit of sleep, food, and drugs (all of which are great but not so great as being able to breathe) I remembered that I DID get a different set of AI's. I did a quick and dirty EDU hack and reduced all recruitment times by one turn. (I'll be more selective about doing this only for militia / levy / bottom tier units once I learn how to tell which units those are. EB's EDB . . . tome . . . has me a bit intimidated and I haven't cracked it open yet)

Anyway, presumably the reason I'm getting such different behavior is that when my AI's ask for troops, for the most part, they get them. From this I assume that a larger starting army relative to local free folk in vanilla EB would make the Sweboz and Casse more active. I suspect that my Lusotanns gambled too much of their starting pop on an army or two that lost, otherwise I think they'd be players as well. I <know> that's what happened to my Epriotes, 'cuz I did it to them. :2thumbsup: Why the Geats of all people should still be content to be, in Zaknafian's immortal words, "lumberjacks and turd farmers" I have no idea.

So no takers on that offer of beer for a console syntax tutorial? Hmm. Off to scour the forums again I guess.

<Edit> VICTORY! Three named people must have their second name (all lower case) added to their first for console command use. Lvcivs Cornelivs Scipio adopted the alias of Lvcivscornelivs Scipio, chartered an extremely fast ship for the Black Sea coast, rode a string of horses to death into the Caspian steppe region, hired the merc horsemen there, slew them in their sleep that very night, rode their horse to death back to his waiting racing ship, and managed to return to Roma before three months were out. Not only did this not drive him mad, it prevented the mercs from suffering a crisis of loyalty when the steppe region revolted, thus saving the world, for, as it is becoming widely known, when mercenaries have such crises of loyalty during revolts the world explodes. :D

Alas, real life is making demands, so it will be a while before I can post my 20 year update in summer 252 and get on a regular schedule of screenies, assuming there's value in me posting such feedback considering my use of zero-turn recruiting.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-02-2007, 21:54
You want to move a general? Use "show_cursorstat" to find a location (lets say 150,253) then move the guy using "move_character "Firstnamemiddlename Lastname" so to move me it would be:
move_character "Marcvsavrelivs Antoninvs" 150,253
For Roman names remember to put quotes and combine the first and middle, not capitalizing the middle.

Fondor_Yards
01-04-2007, 05:08
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/FondorYards/233.jpg

I'm Carthage *if you can't tell*. Dam dirty romans, I hope you have fun in your new swiss kingdom, cause italy is mine! ~D It's the year 233.

Thundercleese
01-05-2007, 00:50
Everytime I try to put the IMG tags in they dissapear when I save my edit!

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/maeast/227.JPG

Here is my campaign as SPQR. It is 227 BC and currently I am at war with a number of nations but primarily my long time ally the Aedui have turned against me and we are having a nasty fight in northern Italy.

As for the other factions:

Carthage has been destroyed by me.

Lusotanne have practically done nothing.

Getai have done nothing.

Casse have done well to take Britain but will they ever invade?

Aedui and Sweboz are powerful (Note Galatia).

Makedon has been reduced.

Allied Greeks have been reduced to Rhodes and any provinces that rebel to them.

Pontus is rich.

Baktria has Pavlava and Saka as their protectorates.

Sarmatians are doing well.

Armenia is hanging on.

AS are down to 1 province.

Saba was doing well but the dirty Ptolemies are running all over them.

Speaking of which, they are my only ally (Ptolemic Egypt, I hope it lasts).

So far Baktria is not at war with the Ptolemies, but I hope they get started soon and waste LOTS and LOTS of resources while doing it.

My stragetic goals are to built up Byzantium as a fortress against Eastern powers coming into Europe. Also take all of Iberia. Finish off Epirus. Go into Gaul.

Perhaps by that time it the Marian reforms will have passed and I can take on my greatest foe: Ptolemic Egypt.

My foreign policy has been as such: Take alliances when offered. Take territory by attacking Allies enemy (ally with KH, attack Makedon and Epirus across the water, ally with Aedui, attack Averni).

This did not hold true with Carthage. When they started marching two stacks into Italy from Sicily I broke off Military access treaty. Next turn they kept advancing I broke off all treaties. THEN IT WAS ON! It was on until I completely finished them in Mastia (South East Iberia).

Olaf The Great
01-05-2007, 02:41
Update Roman campaign: old situations.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1362328&postcount=163

220 BC

210 BC

https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2590/rome210ai3.jpg

204 BC

https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/463/rome204bh9.jpg

199 BC

https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4935/rome200yw9.jpg
Wow, Pontos is behaving quite oddly, I looked at your old post, and noticed a pattern, they gain terriotory, they lose one province than gain another, then they lose 1 province to rebellion but instead of defending, they attack,
And because of these things, they completely changed homelands.

Oleo
01-05-2007, 15:22
Wow, Pontos is behaving quite oddly, I looked at your old post, and noticed a pattern, they gain terriotory, they lose one province than gain another, then they lose 1 province to rebellion but instead of defending, they attack,
And because of these things, they completely changed homelands.

Indeed. The AI seems to not care about garrisoning its newly conquered cities. And nothing really seems to be able to stop the Ptolemy juggernaught.

Oleo
01-05-2007, 20:16
and a few new shots:

178 BC:

https://img483.imageshack.us/img483/4159/rome178bcjr1.jpg

158 BC:

https://img483.imageshack.us/img483/6247/rome158uy4.jpg

I have to fight too many battles, thats sort of boring, very boring, so ive been autoresolving a little bit with auto_win on :shame:

Fondor_Yards
01-05-2007, 21:34
It's good to see the Getai defeated someone for once, but is india still rebelling to parthia? And wow thats really strange how germani was able to take the steppes like that.

Olaf The Great
01-05-2007, 23:50
and a few new shots:

178 BC:

https://img483.imageshack.us/img483/4159/rome178bcjr1.jpg

158 BC:

https://img483.imageshack.us/img483/6247/rome158uy4.jpg

I have to fight too many battles, thats sort of boring, very boring, so ive been autoresolving a little bit with auto_win on :shame:Awh, I was hoping Pontus to last longer, awh well.

I reccomend helping the Saba to defeat Ptolemy(notice how they seem to be a pain for the Ptolemies?
And when did you take over Gaul?

Oleo
01-06-2007, 12:12
Awh, I was hoping Pontus to last longer, awh well.

I reccomend helping the Saba to defeat Ptolemy(notice how they seem to be a pain for the Ptolemies?
And when did you take over Gaul?

Nah, Saba is too weak. I'd prefer to ask Baktria, already my allies.

The Aedui were my good allies, until they finally managed to take the final Arvernii city around 170 BC. The next turn they sent 4 full stacks towards Segesta, Mediolanum, Emporium and the town in northern Iberia. I was expecting that so I had 4 legions (II, IV, VI, VII) standing by (one for each city).

What a massacre that was. 2 years later the Aedui had lost half their cities, another 5 years and they were gone, they refused becoming a Protectorate so I absorbed them into my great roman empire (ehh.. I mean republic :sweatdrop: ).

And wow thats really strange how germani was able to take the steppes like that.

Yeah those Sweboz sure are doing great, right now they are trying to take over Saka territory :laugh4:. Give them a few years and they'll start conquering China.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-06-2007, 12:41
Yeah those Sweboz sure are doing great, right now they are trying to take over Saka territory :laugh4:. Give them a few years and they'll start conquering China.

What's Sweboz's relationship with Ptolemai? Turn those two giants against eachother. :smash:

Oleo
01-06-2007, 13:42
What's Sweboz's relationship with Ptolemai? Turn those two giants against eachother. :smash:

Good idea, unfortunately they are long allies.

Kugutsu
01-06-2007, 14:02
Are you fighting the Sweboz? What are your next expansion plans? I guess if you are at war with the Ptolies, then Anatolia is the next logical step.
Its interesting the way you have essentially got four big players, east, west, north and south. Are the Getai still independent? Who is fighting whom in your campaign?

Obelics
01-06-2007, 14:06
ah! Saka and Bactria seem always do better than Pahlav....:furious3:

Kugutsu
01-06-2007, 14:18
Saka never seems to do much. They are always stuck in the top right two provinces, and usually end up as protectorates of Bactria. I agree that Pahlava is too weak though. They should be kicking the Seleukids, not getting exterminated by the Bactrians...

Oleo
01-06-2007, 16:31
Are you fighting the Sweboz? What are your next expansion plans? I guess if you are at war with the Ptolies, then Anatolia is the next logical step.
Its interesting the way you have essentially got four big players, east, west, north and south. Are the Getai still independent? Who is fighting whom in your campaign?

I am at war with Getai and Ptolemies and I hate Ptolemy butt. I am currently still training legions as replacement for old polybian legions, when I am done Ill have 2 in Gaul, one in northern Italy, 4 in Greece (2 to defend against Getai aggression and 2 to invade Asia Minor) and 2 in Africa to push East into Egypt. I want all Mediterranean trade to be Roman.

I havent had much to do with the Sweboz as of late, I destroyed so many of their armies around 200BC, I guess they got scared :yes:. They are allied to Getai and Ptolemy (my enemies) so I guess they'll attack soon.

Sarcasm
01-06-2007, 20:55
What do your legions consist of?

Thaatu
01-06-2007, 22:47
I agree that Pahlava is too weak though. They should be kicking the Seleukids, not getting exterminated by the Bactrians...

Bear in mind that Antiochus III subjugated Parthia as late as 206 BC. It should take about 400 turns before they start kicking Seleukid ass. I just wish conquered factions could re-emerge... ~:mecry:

Pode
01-07-2007, 00:43
Romanii, VH/M, using BI.exe and all recruitment times reduced by one turn.

Spring of 252 BC (twenty years / 80 turns in)

https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/eric_peddicord/252BC.jpg

Sauromatae split Pahlava due to a loyalist revolt, not a war. Maks had hurt KH bad but overextended themselves against Epierotes also, which has backfired on them. Saba are succeeding against Ptolies where AS has failed, but AS has peace with everyone else, so I'm not sure why they're getting pwnt. Everythign else is pretty much WYSIWYG.

Oleo
01-07-2007, 13:54
What do your legions consist of?

Dont tell anyone: I skipped Marian period, didnt like the selection of units, I wanted to see those Augustan Auxilia. :sweatdrop:

Defensive legion:

- 9 Cohors Imperatoria
- 2 Antesigiani
- 1 Cohors Evocata
- 1 general
- 2 Ala Imperatoria
- 2 Heavy spearman auxilia
- 2 ballistae units.

Offensive legion: Swap one/two legionary groups for 2 Stone throwing- ballistae thingies.

I am thinking of decreasing the number of cohors, to make things a bit more challenging.

Tellos Athenaios
01-07-2007, 15:06
Just me or have the Saba a sort of fondness for Meroe? Quite a few campaign show them taking over Meroe, while Axum remains part of the Eleutheroi. :inquisitive:

Zaknafien
01-07-2007, 16:28
Its usually Meroe revolting to Saba as its parent culture group instead of them conquering it. However, in my new 8.1 test campaign, they're doing quite well offensively in that region as well.

-Praetor-
01-07-2007, 16:39
Dont tell anyone: I skipped Marian period, didnt like the selection of units, I wanted to see those Augustan Auxilia. :sweatdrop:

Hey!!! You cheater little rascal!!! :shout:

Mind telling me how do you did that? Cuz I`m desperate to play with marian units... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oleo
01-07-2007, 17:27
In RTW folder \EB\data\scripts\show_me you will find the scriptfile EBBS_script.txt, make a backup, then:

Open it with notepad, do a search for Marian
Now your at the marian trigger part of the file, scroll down a bit till you find:

;Unconditional Reforms
monitor_event FactionTurnEnd FactionType seleucid
and I_CompareCounter Romanii_Reform = 1
and I_NumberOfSettlements seleucid > 89

set_counter Romanii_Reform 2
terminate_monitor

end_monitor

;Conditional Reforms
and I_CompareCounter Latifundia > 6
and I_TurnNumber > 399
and I_NumberOfSettlements seleucid > 44
and BattlesFought > 249
and I_CompareCounter ReformatorCounter = 1

terminate_monitor

end_monitor

Change it into:

;Unconditional Reforms
and I_TurnNumber > 100

terminate_monitor

end_monitor

If you've played 100 turns and have polybian era the reforms will happen.

If you want you can delete everything else thats between
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; MARIAN TRIGGERand
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Imperial trigger as you only really need the unconditional reform part

Lovejoy
01-07-2007, 17:37
Playing as Aedui 254BC

http://pici.se/pictures/moKoSt.jpg

I have just establish myself as a real power in asia minor. The last Pontic settlement is executed. At last. I had some tough yeas of fighting against them, but i was able to tier them out with constant ambushes and raids.

In west things are more calm, now when things finaly are looking up in the east I hope to make some progress in the west as well.

http://pici.se/pictures/k5DQ6A.jpg

The romens are having a tougher time though. I financed my journey eastward by raiding the romen settlements in the north, not until i had reach the gates of rome they were able to set a stop of me.

This must have hurt them more then I fought. Epiros, my alliace, has risen as a true power, and now Pyrhros(spelling??) is on his way to take rome! No romen stacks in range. How will this end?

Update: ROME HAS FALLEN! And Pyrhors is pushing north! Its crazy! I want to help the romens, I was kinda looking forward to getting my ass kicked by them. I have no money so I cant aid them that way. I'm planning a raid against my foul alliance of Epiros! I need the money anyhow, the question is, am I too late?

Olaf The Great
01-08-2007, 02:31
Playing as Aedui 254BC

http://pici.se/pictures/moKoSt.jpg

I have just establish myself as a real power in asia minor. The last Pontic settlement is executed. At last. I had some tough yeas of fighting against them, but i was able to tier them out with constant ambushes and raids.

In west things are more calm, now when things finaly are looking up in the east I hope to make some progress in the west as well.

http://pici.se/pictures/k5DQ6A.jpg

The romens are having a tougher time though. I financed my journey eastward by raiding the romen settlements in the north, not until i had reach the gates of rome they were able to set a stop of me.

This must have hurt them more then I fought. Epiros, my alliace, has risen as a true power, and now Pyrhros(spelling??) is on his way to take rome! No romen stacks in range. How will this end?

Update: ROME HAS FALLEN! And Pyrhors is pushing north! Its crazy! I want to help the romens, I was kinda looking forward to getting my ass kicked by them. I have no money so I cant aid them that way. I'm planning a raid against my foul alliance of Epiros! I need the money anyhow, the question is, am I too late?
Eperios being rich is worse than Rome being rich...
Send most of you money to Rome, it will pay off.

Grand Lord of Poop~
01-09-2007, 17:29
i remembered that someone earlier (sorry name escapes me at the moment) posted a screenshot of a germanic roman empire, which was very interesting :2thumbsup: , but unfortunately there seem to be no new ones. does the person have an update of that?

Dumbass
01-09-2007, 17:52
They completed the campaign so I don't think they'll post new ones.

Although I thought it was very interesting too, seeing as the faction would only be able to recruit regional units and no faction ones.

Grand Lord of Poop~
01-09-2007, 18:45
ah......well......

Bava
01-09-2007, 18:54
remembered that someone earlier (sorry name escapes me at the moment) posted a screenshot of a germanic roman empire, which was very interesting , but unfortunately there seem to be no new ones. does the person have an update of that?

I think "that person" is me ~D

And dumbass is right, i completed the campaign two weeks ago (and fell in love with Mount&Blade but thats another story) but i did some "research" (recruitement in Asia minor) for my guide yesterday and continued my campaign so perhaps i´ll give you guys an update this weekend.

Grand Lord of Poop~
01-09-2007, 18:57
YAY THANK YOU BB!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

ps. and can you post some of their units and buildings?? i would love to see it!!

edit: surely you would've saved some screenshots, no?

Bava
01-09-2007, 19:05
Already posted some unit/building pics (page six, i think) as TA wanted to see them, too. I&#180;m really curious if romans get their reforms in 210...

abou
01-10-2007, 23:47
http://abou.heliologue.com/uploads/winter224BC.png

Winter 529 a.u.c (224 BCE)

In Italia:
Moving north to capture the cities of the Celtic tribes, Cisalpine Gaul was quickly taken. In the south Epeiros attacked almost immediately causing the Senate to mobilize a consular army. The cities of “Megale Hellas” were quickly taken and incorporated in to the Republic.

In the West:
After several years of war with Carthago, Caius Aurelius Africanus managed to neuter them by taking the islands, the main city itself with those on the coast, and their Iberian colonies. After a very opportunistic siege of Mediolanum, the city was arrested from the Aedui and an alliance crafted with the Arverni. As of now, the Senate and People of Rome have spent time consolidating currently held territories and pacifying rebellions such as the capture of the Greek colony of Arsé. Soon after this report Sucum-Murgi was taken. Good relations exist with the Lusotannan, but Carthago refuses a ceasefire and sits as a shell of its former self. She refuses to contest my holding of their former cities and has instead concentrated efforts to take the cities to the west just south of Iberia. A strong rebel army stands just to the west of Carthago, but the Senate has decided to leave them in place as a buffer to Carthaginian reprisals.

In the East:
Events in the East have been very interesting. An alliance was struck with Macedonia and the Seleucidi. In an attempt to keep both powers strong, the Senate authorized extensive funding for both. After about 5 years Macedonia was almost destroyed by the cities of Greece and Epeiros; conversely, the Seleucid kings are an unstoppable force and have pushed back the Ptolemaii all the way to Alexandria – they have stopped their attacks only because it seems that the kings of Aegyptus are a constant source of amusement to them.

After what seemed to be a secure and peaceful era in the east for Roma, Koinon Hellenon besieged Taras, but retreated when aide was in sight. A diplomat of theirs came to Patavium requesting a ceasefire, but was rebuked and Korinthos and Sparte attacked by Caius Aurelius Africanus (recently recalled from the fighting in Iberia) and his legate (read: captain) respectively. Both fell quickly and Africanus moved to Athens then Thermon then Demetrias. After a whirling battle outside Demetrias the city fell, but it was Africanus's last battle as immediately afterwards he died of natural causes.

At this point, the calm but cool relations with Epeiros began to break down. Spies and diplomats attempting to bribe cities started appearing. Epeiros also attacked the Getai, a long standing friend of the Senate and People of Rome. Three of their cities were soon attacked and Dalminion, their largest, sacked.

For a long time it seemed as though SPQR and the Seleukidi were content to split the world between themselves. However, they attacked an anemic Macedonia and then blockaded Athens, but withdrew and asked for a ceasefire. They then did so again after taking Crete from the Koinon Hellenon, but this time SPQR were ready and sent a consular army to arrest Crete from their grasp. A diplomat arrived again asking for a ceasefire, but the Senate wagered heavy and managed to gain Crete as part of the ceasefire agreement.

Though the Senate does not want to make it appear as though Rome is weak, it still does not want to go to war with the powerful Syrian kingdom. Too much needs to be done in the west and a long, drawn out war is not in Rome's interests. Therefore, the Senate has granted the proconsul in the region considerable leeway to seek a diplomatic solution – alliance with a small tribute to Syria for a significant duration of several decades to cement relations.

[Note: the latest trade agreement was during the AI turn, which then was followed by a CTD. So much for that then.]

Probably a fair number of grammatical errors in there, but I'm on vacation.

shlin28
01-12-2007, 23:18
https://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4166/mapum7.png

im playing as macedon and somehow epirus took over italy! (nearly anyway...)

situation in Italy (it looked a lot worse about 10 turns ago, rome only got 3 units in each of their two cities!)
https://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2860/romeuh2.png

Oleo
01-13-2007, 18:50
Wow, thats some nice Epiros expansion/migration. What year is that?

shlin28
01-13-2007, 20:04
its 258BC

and could i have any advise on which directions to expand, to the west and conquer Italy, to the north and conquer the epirus terrotaries there, or to east?

Bava
01-13-2007, 20:57
I&#180;d go for italy and sicily. This way you&#180;ll have a stable west front with the
bottleneck at the alps (easy to defend with 1 stack) and enough troops to destroy the remnants of epirus and the getai. And then ... uh, all the way from Asia minor to Alexandria.

There are some pics of my mac campaign (played until victory) 3 to 2 pages back if
you some further inspiration.

And, of course, have a look at my guide where to recruit the best units for your conquests ~D

Birka Viking
01-14-2007, 14:18
I play as the Getai....And Makedonia and Romans are almost gone...
https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9196/rometw2007011413414420gi1.png (https://imageshack.us)

Olaf The Great
01-14-2007, 16:04
Birka, thats one cool empire, a question, how well is KH doing?

I want to see some Lustonann Players, the faction is pretty much complete, and I haven't seen any, just the depressing amount of Dead Lustonann states on these pictures.

I have to ask, is it possible to Migrate from Getia to Spain?
I know that the "extended resources" thing will stop me, will turning off the scripts allow me to do it?

I'm asking like a person who hasn't a clue mainly because my disk got scratched, and today I burned off a layer of plastic(yes that works)and plan to install it.

Birka Viking
01-14-2007, 16:24
KH and Epeirus are doing realy well. They joined together and crushed Makedonia. So now are the maks only att that Island in Asia minor..Dont remeber the name:sweatdrop:
Epeirus has also taken almost all Romans towns. And now they are attacking me..But they are now also at war with KH...Who is at war with me to..lol..So its realy nice battles now..lol:2thumbsup:

QwertyMIDX
01-16-2007, 02:12
Birka, thats one cool empire, a question, how well is KH doing?

I want to see some Lustonann Players, the faction is pretty much complete, and I haven't seen any, just the depressing amount of Dead Lustonann states on these pictures.

I have to ask, is it possible to Migrate from Getia to Spain?
I know that the "extended resources" thing will stop me, will turning off the scripts allow me to do it?

I'm asking like a person who hasn't a clue mainly because my disk got scratched, and today I burned off a layer of plastic(yes that works)and plan to install it.

Turning off the script won't help you get your faction troops in iberia, recruitment is defined in the EDB.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-16-2007, 02:35
219:https://img138.imageshack.us/img138/103/219ev1.jpg
211:https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/530/211qi8.jpg
Here is an update on my AI Progress/AAR:
By 200BC, Numerius Longius Pavo Gallicus Maximus had conquered all of Gaul and I consolidated power in asia minor. I also decided to help some old friends, giving Sauromatia a territory and a couple more Seleucid territories to Parthia.
201:https://img296.imageshack.us/img296/9437/201zt3.jpg
Having changed the requirements for the "Marian" Reform, I received new units in 199 and got a second wind with EB. I finally started a long delayed conquest of Numidia and began to consolidate my border with Dacia. Though in the east something happened, Saka Rauka exploded with power. After betraying me and taking the settlement I had long held to bottle in Baktria, Saka Rauka then conquered Baktra and headed toward India. Sauromate continued to grow on their own.
190:https://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4572/190bxj6.jpg
In the 180s BC the Ptolemaic dynasty betrayed the Roman Republic for the last time. Within two years the last of the Ptolemaic line fled to live in exile on the Nubian coast. With the core of my Empire established, a family of poor Patricians decided to win their wealth back in Crimea, in a couple years, Crimea flew the Roman banner. In arabia and nubia a couple of armies of Sabeans march toward me every few years just for me to bribe. In the east the Parthian took advantage of the Bactrian weakness and finally began to expand on their own, eventually angering the Saka Rauka. Being betrayed by Saka, Parthia stuck back, recalling all of their armies marching for India and attacking northward at their old ally (Yet still ignoring Seleucia, with whom they have been a war with for nearly a century now :wall: ). Meanwhile, Rome plans an invasion of Britannia.
180:https://img294.imageshack.us/img294/5163/180pl8.jpg
Finally Parthia is doing something!

Teleklos Archelaou
01-16-2007, 06:14
That's awesome, seeing all three steppe/nomad/eastern factions take over most stuff from Germany to Gedrosia (in an arcing path). :2thumbsup: I'd love to see the parthians or saka take India and you get to face them there. :grin: If we can get the further Indian units with saka and baktrian (at least) variants, that would be really cool for a map like this one. Also one new Saka unit just recently posted would make things a lot tougher (as would that new parthian infantry) - but neither of those will be in 0.81 alas. We just have to keep pushing hard for the next build after that.

Olaf The Great
01-16-2007, 10:45
Turning off the script won't help you get your faction troops in iberia, recruitment is defined in the EDB.
I know that, I mean to Migrate, to actually move an entire faction to another area.

Oleo
01-18-2007, 16:59
Too bad I get bored of the many battles, when my empire grows big..., so no more roman campaign, here is Hayasdan (BI.exe):

Go Aedui!!

257 BC:

https://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7063/armenia257bcvb5.jpg

250 BC:

https://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7894/armenia250bcxd9.jpg

243 BC (not resized to show the Pontic invasion of Rhodos (not their first attempt) and the Carthaginian and Ptolemaioi invasions of Crete):

https://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4849/armenia243bcra8.th.jpg (https://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=armenia243bcra8.jpg)

Fondor_Yards
01-19-2007, 01:56
That's awesome, seeing all three steppe/nomad/eastern factions take over most stuff from Germany to Gedrosia (in an arcing path). :2thumbsup: I'd love to see the parthians or saka take India and you get to face them there. :grin: If we can get the further Indian units with saka and baktrian (at least) variants, that would be really cool for a map like this one. Also one new Saka unit just recently posted would make things a lot tougher (as would that new parthian infantry) - but neither of those will be in 0.81 alas. We just have to keep pushing hard for the next build after that.

What what what? New Saka unit? Where!

Teleklos Archelaou
01-19-2007, 02:46
I've said too much already! :grin: Yeah, at least one now already (still sorta WIP, but looks pretty close). We aren't churning new units out again yet, but there is a steady little stream going. When 0.81 is out, I think some guys will be able to turn their attention back to getting more new units.

Fondor_Yards
01-20-2007, 00:01
Arghhh noo....
Oh well I can wait, hmmm a new heavy infantry unit for the saka....sweet....

Janius
01-22-2007, 22:26
I just finished my Sweboz campaign, the year is 236BC:

https://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9172/swebozworldin236bc5qw.jpg

As you can see Macedon has taken full control of Greece (except for one city) and they are now rapidly expanding north:

https://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7209/macedonexpansion2uy.jpg

Another something I found interesting was SPQR. They always seem to expand very quick, but here,
the garrison at Bononia stood their ground, despite being sieged every few turns.

https://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9449/swebozendgameproblem2aw.jpg

In the south SPQR has finally taken up the will to unify Italy:

https://img267.imageshack.us/img267/2993/swebozromeexpansion5ku.jpg

I might play this campaign a bit longer, as I am finding it very interesting :2thumbsup:

:book:
I saw in the victory conditions that I had to capture "Vicus Vendelicum", yet the name on the campaignmap is "Vindelicoppidos".
The right name is probably "Vindelicoppidos", but I think you forgot to change the victory conditions :yes:

Teleklos Archelaou
01-22-2007, 22:44
Glad you are enjoying it Janius. I sort of like that Macedonian expansion - better than them taking the whole of the interior of the Balkans.

Elminster12
01-22-2007, 23:51
Glad you are enjoying it Janius. I sort of like that Macedonian expansion - better than them taking the whole of the interior of the Balkans.
Makes sense, I mean, Makedon did exert a lot of influence in Thrace before this mod's time period, and Olbia is Greek, correct? I have a Makedon campaign going right now, so I'll post that up soon...

Oleo
01-31-2007, 20:43
Hayasdan BI.exe, buh bye romans, go pontos

old: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1391563&postcount=239

239 BC
https://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4208/armenia239bcei7.jpg

227 BC
https://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7663/armenia227ib7.jpg

220 BC
https://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2758/armenia220xz2.jpg

213 BC
https://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1651/armenia213kv4.jpg

Fondor_Yards
01-31-2007, 21:22
Am I dreaming or did Carthage bitchslap Rome outta Italian the Getai do the same in Dacia?

Conqueror
01-31-2007, 22:33
Ha! Really nice to see the Romans grow and swell like crazy and then get their butts kicked! Strange stuff with Pahlavans in India though. Do those provinces still rebel to that faction?

Warlord 11
02-01-2007, 08:50
My Romani campain in 198BC:

https://img388.imageshack.us/img388/5057/picture004oa7.th.png (https://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture004oa7.png)

It was rather interesting, as the Ptolemaioi pushed beyond Babylon, before being pushed back by my Selucid Allies, and mostly destroyed by me. Now the Selucids have managed to invade mainland Greece, and grabed a lot of land before being pushed back.

Oleo
02-01-2007, 13:29
Am I dreaming or did Carthage bitchslap Rome outta Italian the Getai do the same in Dacia?

They sure did, Carthage sent 6 (3 for gaul, 3 for Italy) full stacks of libyans (all 4 types), scutarii, velites and elites and... :whip: :whip:. Italy is a rorarii graveyard, so to speak.

Strange stuff with Pahlavans in India though. Do those provinces still rebel to that faction?

yes.